McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 01, 2009, 10:47:03 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 10:16:46 PM
Om I've read the thing 4 and half times by now, no need to post it twice.

Ok - what do you think of the comment about Gerald ?

About FM ??

About how he feels that the 2008 panel have gone about it the wrong road ?

About him being callled "captain scab" ?

Is it really worth all this ?

I think he's out of line. Really has overstepped his mark in parts.
The 08 players have played with O Grady and Allen to name a few, they know what it takes to win. These players don't even know what it takes to beat Dublin.
And what did you expect him to say, oh Ger's shite. Come on.

Again they've been around Fm, well they haven't been, that's what he says anyway..if they stick around for longer then 5 seconds and out grow being the CB's whipping boys they'll learn a hell lot more about a man who is behind 60 plus players refusing to play for Cork.
I think what he says about the 08 panel is again out of line completley. He's in no position to judge any of them. Some of them have given 10 years of great service to Cork. Some of them have played longer then the age of the players on the 09 team. He's in absolutely no place to comment on them at all.

The players have put years and years of blood sweat and tears into playing and WINNING for Cork, they've had great players pushing them all the way, they had to earn every second they played in that jersey. But in the 09 players case it was handed to them, they didn't earn it. That's why so many turned it down. They didn't feel they'd earned it, obviously these lads feel otherwise. The 09 players got it by default. And imo are delaying this thing tenfold. If they had walked away this thing would have been solved ten times faster because the CB would have had no escape clause.
He goes on about the fact that what they are doing is wrong, he's in absolutley no place to judge. When they've to play under that Cb for a couple of years then they can judge for themselves really. Like Pat Ryan, tremendous time for him. He's worked in the system, with the players and against the CB. He knows full what he's talking about, but the 09 players will clearly have to learn the hard way. That is if they get anywhere near the team if the 08 plus players come back.
He goes on about how the 08 players should have 3 months of training done by now, I can tell ye right here and now they've done a hell lot more training then the 09 players.

I do not support the term being used at all, I've never used it and never plan to. IN the end of the day these lads just want to play. At a massive cost, but they want to play.
It's obviously disappointing to hear that he was called the S word on the street in cork. He doesn't deserve that IMHO, I don't and never will use that word describing them.

He talks about being captain of Cork like he's earned it, he basically says it doesn't matter that they haven't earned it once you play with it. He is playing at club level with one hell of a player, Fraggy Murphy, I've a hell lot of time for that lad. Brilliant player, a gent, hell of a pro.

When he says the 09 players give everything to play for Cork, the senior panel gave that and much more for 10 years some of them.

I would have preferred if the current panel stayed out of the PR war and just kept their heads down because some of what he says is a bit out of line in my view, he knows nothing about what it takes to win. These lads, the 08 players do.

But I really do wish the 09 panel kept out of the PR battle, I really would. They, like they are by playing, will make things a hell of a lot worse.

I respect them for playing, I do, but I think this would have been solved by now if the CB didn't have them as an escape route, at the end of the day the CCB don't give two shits about who's playing or what the score is once they field a team and the pressure that would be there if we had no team isn't there.
I respect them, but I've not much sympathy for them at times, they knew exactly what would happen if they played. They knew how they'd be treated, how they'd be seen as CB players. How they will never have the support. They knew full well what to expect.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: dowling on March 01, 2009, 10:24:05 PM
Any reason why you wont answer my query Reillers? Wouldn't be because your club don't think like you would it?

See this is why I don't answer your question Dowling. You ask me it and then follow it up with something like this. I've made it clear what club I'm from if you bothered your ass looking you'd probably catch on.
Why would I respond to you when you come up with shit like that?

"It doesn't matter who writes the rules it's about who passes them!
It doesn't matter if even it was a small percentage of those opposed at the meeting. 45% isn't small and when you add that small percentage to it starts creeping towards 50%.
And why weren't this 45% at the meeting in the first place?
Stop your spin reillers as if the county is united behind the 2008 panel. The county is spilt in two and it's bitter.
Are you sure you're not in contact with the 2008 panel because the mantra's wearing thin.
And what about your own club reillers? You stated some time ago that they didn't listen to you. Have you converted them now?"
[/quote]

That's what I originally wrote and where my question was and if you choose to read it differently that's up to you. There' nothing shit about it. I have no interest in which club you belong to and never asked that question of you or Zulu or GAA who also refuse to read the posts properly.

At the time of the post you had been going on about how club support was behind the 2008 panel and it was in that context my question was asked. The 45% figure - which maybe was a couple of percent high - which weren't at the meeting seemed to surprise you so I asked about your club and had they been converted and come in behind the 2008 panel. If your club had it would give at least a little credit to your argument, if not then you shouldn't be surprised at the large number not at that meeting. And perhaps you were maybe jumping the gun in relation to support.

Now if, for some reason, you feel uncomfortable addressing the question don't be coming up with the excuse it's shit when what you refer to wasn't even asked. It was a genuine question and until now I had expected an honest answer. But maybe Zulu and GAA also challanging a question I didn't ask set the tone for you.

dowling

Quote from: orangeman on March 01, 2009, 09:53:58 PM
That's enough about how many were there or not there lads - that's not important.

What do you make of Ryan's interview in the Tribune ? Kieran Murphy wants to return to the panel etc etc.

OM it's significant that he refers to Murphy's loyalty to the 2008 panel. It reinforces the belief that this is simply about the panel and nothing to do with the future good of Cork. Indeed other recent comments like Dessie Farrel's statement about winning or losing underlines that.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on March 01, 2009, 10:47:03 PM
About him being callled "captain scab" ?

Is it really worth all this ?

bit like the people calling for mickey harte's head last summer i suppose

The GAA

Dowling - Reiller's club, though he has made no attempt to hide it, is none of your business.

I fail to see why you feel the need to personalize things

INDIANA

Dowling - Reiller's club, though he has made no attempt to hide it, is none of your business.

why?

The GAA

How can it be his or anyone else's business.

If everyone esle were posting up their personal details i wouldn't have problem

orangeman

Dublin must be really bad !!!Watching he game yesterday, Dublin were very unlucky to lose to Limerick yesterday who have been in an AI final more recently than Cork. So maybe Dublin aren't that bad at all.

From Reillers :

I think he's out of line. Really has overstepped his mark in parts.
The 08 players have played with O Grady and Allen to name a few, they know what it takes to win. These players don't even know what it takes to beat Dublin.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 02, 2009, 09:54:26 AM

I fail to see why you feel the need to personalize things

GAA mis-reading a post once happens. I've stated I'm not interested in which club he belongs to and quoted the original question and elaborated on the context of it. However to continually present my post as something it's not must be intentional.
I can only assume you feel uncomfortable about the possible answer and are attempting to deflect from the question being answered. Not surprising really.

imtommygunn

Dublin should actually have won. One of the reasons they didn't was the ref didn't give a free out when the goalie got charged in the square. He lost possession from this and a goal was scored - was a definite free out.

The GAA

I am perfectly aware how you phrased the question but its undeniable that you are looking to know what his club is.

I'm actually not tryiing to be argumentative, i just feel its not your business.

If you were to offer info on your own club and how its voting, etc, i might take a variant view...

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 02, 2009, 11:00:10 AM

I am perfectly aware how you phrased the question but its undeniable that you are looking to know what his club is.

I'm actually not tryiing to be argumentative, i just feel its not your business.

If you were to offer info on your own club and how its voting, etc, i might take a variant view...

If his club is can be identified through this thread why would I be enquiring about his club?
What is the problem with asking the stance of his club?

INDIANA

whats the big deal about asking about his club GAA. Its no secret wjat club I'm from or hundreds of other posters here. Reillers club seems to be as closely guarded sceret here as Fianna Fails plan for economic recovery is. It would be interesting to know whether its senior or a junior club from a voting perspective.

orangeman

By Vincent Hogan

Monday March 02 2009

When the sockets in the walls are on fire, how comforting it is to see committee men cling in ghastly faith to the handrails of procedure.

Are the Government and the Cork County Board actually one and the same? Watching Minister for Sport Martin Cullen on last Monday's 'Questions and Answers' and Cork PRO Gerard Lane a few days later on 'Prime Time' was a bit like seeing an old episode of 'Thunderbirds'.

Both men had that glassy puppet stare, mouths moving as if manipulated by a hand reaching up from under the desk.

To be fair to Lane, PROs don't have much licence to speak their minds. His job is to faithfully represent the views of a body, no matter how skewed or obstinate those views might seem. We will never know if he actually believed in the drivel he found himself spouting to Miriam O'Callaghan. Gerard's words drifted by like waiting-room music, killing time, nothing more.

At one point, I could have sworn I heard him say "the issue has already been resolved", but as Miriam didn't fall off her chair I can but imagination I had by then slipped into a mild hallucinogenic state.

Mind you, given that I also could have sworn RTE had a controversial banker sit on John Bowman's panel offering straight-faced guidance to us poor, ransacked peasants and, then, ran an ad for Creatine in the commercial break, maybe it's just time I eased off on the wine gums.

Still, as we try to figure out whether this country needs a coffin or just a defibrillator, is it not tempting to wonder if concepts like grace, humility, remorse or magnanimity are now just quaint antiquities in this great, little nation of ours? How come the word 'sorry' has become so obsolete?

The Government is as popular as rabies, yet continues to talk of our predicament in something that sounds like Latin. They would like us to believe that they know what they're doing, but it's a bit like sitting on a plane and hearing the pilot play "I spy" at the controls.

The bill that Minister Cullen ran up so that he could wave his tricolour at the Irish boxers in Beijing has been pretty well documented by now.

You'd imagine he is not perhaps the ideal candidate, then, to be front of shop, selling hair shirts. To the best of this column's knowledge, Dante didn't write politics.

But he'd surely recognise the apocalyptic novel that has become Official Ireland.

As for Cork, the heat is beginning to climb in interesting places now. No matter your view of the striking hurlers, the glue that has held them together these past months is clearly of industrial strength.

I don't know many players outside of Cork who sympathise with the stance they have taken against Gerald McCarthy. But I have yet to meet one who isn't in awe of their unity.

The 2008 panel are railing, essentially, against what they see as a manipulative, vindictive County Board.

McCarthy, sadly, is the human meat in the sandwich.

Now, the hunch here is that, ultimately, the figures just won't add up for Donal Og and the boys, even if the County Board allows another vote.

First, the voice of the junior clubs will be represented in theory alone. Second, it remains a moot point how faithfully delegates honour the mandate given to them in trust. Lane was right last week when he pointed out that county committees "must abide by the rules and regulations" of the Association. The problem is when those rules and regulations are used as sandbags against reason.

By all accounts, last week's meeting with the clubs startled the striking players. The vibe from the floor was overwhelmingly supportive, the meeting book-ended by two standing ovations. As Timmy McCarthy put it at the weekend: "Everyone could speak and there was nobody being shot down or ruled out on a point of order. They wanted to get their points across and they did; they were anxious to speak, to get things off their chests."

Not all contributions were slavishly supportive either. One speaker, sympathetic to Gerald, suggested that the striking players should go home and ask their parents what to do.

He didn't, it seemed, understand how this might be interpreted as patronising to grown men.

Cork GAA is in abject crisis and, for the second successive season, that crisis has threaded a degree of farce into the National Hurling League. The hurlers play Tipperary in the Munster championship on May 31. Seven days before that, the footballers -- themselves preparing for the picket line -- play Waterford. More farce looming.

Yet, the County Board clings to the arcane language of procedure. They shan't be moved, it seems. Their honour will be protected by ending careers, not nurturing them. Protests must be crushed.

Happy days in the belly of the inferno, then. Anyone for a Molotov cocktail?

- Vincent Hogan

orangeman

Monday March 02 2009

CORK'S hurling crisis deepened further yesterday and not just because their inexperienced young team were beaten by 14 points, suffered a third consecutive NHL defeat and fell deeper into the relegation abyss.

The latest worrying development was the paltry size of the crowd, estimated by seasoned observers as 600 at most. Those who came loyally clapped their team off the pitch, but it sounded as hollow as the joy that Galway took from their victory.

Several locals said it was the smallest league attendance they could remember yet beleaguered manager Gerald McCarthy and County Board Chairman Jerry O'Sullivan both played down what some interpreted as a quasi-boycott.

"I'm fairly certain that the genuine hurling supporters are here, supporting the Cork team that are out on the field," McCarthy insisted. "If you look at the league attendances last year, there were very small numbers also."

But, inevitably, he faced questions on the ongoing 2008 players' strike and impasse.

Asked if he would stand down if the clubs of the county engineered a new vote and did not back him, McCarthy stood firm, saying: "I'm not going to answer any question on anything that's happening in an ad hoc situation that has no bearing on the rules of the GAA.

"The clubs have backed me twice with overwhelming majorities, the Board has twice voted overwhelmingly that I am the manager. That's all that concerns me," he stressed.

Yet an unmistakable sadness permeated the air, even from the visiting victors.