McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2009, 09:29:18 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 08:24:13 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 01, 2009, 07:50:44 PM
QuoteThe 2008 panel will only be managed this year by someone who will be prepared to take them all back. That much is fairly assured.

I would say that is entirely incorrect, all the players want is a good manager, if they got that and he decided that some of them weren't up to scratch and dropped them, i'm sure there wouldn't be any problems. Anyway all the main protagonists are definitely worth their place on the panel at least. If only Gerald goes now then neither side have really given up anything, FM and his buddies will still be there until the end of the year at least and then it can be reviewed by CP.

The reality is that nobody, including Gerald, gains anything by him staying but if he goes then Cork can at least get their best players back on the field.
They were pushing and asking questions to why Naughton wasn't starting in 06.

So not only do they want to veto the manager, they want to pick the team too? No wonder they were happy with their former masseuse as 'manager'..

Perhaps someday when the sponsored cars go back, the sponsorship launches dry up and RTE no longer give the ringleaders a platform they'll realise it was about playing hurling and not all the other external shi*e.
They weren't asking questions, just to themselves. They were wondering why Naughton hadn't been started because he was flying on the wing. Not asking Allen, just asking themselves. Pushing eachother and asking themselves. I can even give you the quote.

Stop nit picking ffs.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 09:33:40 PM
Oh typical CB 1,200 they say at the match. The official attendance.  ;D ;D Lord, there was barely 600. It was counted on rte 1..63 in the open stand, 27 in the Blackrock End, 500 in the covered stand.

Easy now son.

Reillers reports 12,000

Various other media outlets & gardai report the figure as anywhere between 7-12k

Reillers and Frank Murphy/Ger Mac have more in common than they think - both are fond of the aul exageratting.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2009, 09:38:34 PM
Oh typical CB 1,200 they say at the match. The official attendance.  ;D ;D Lord, there was barely 600. It was counted on rte 1..63 in the open stand, 27 in the Blackrock End, 500 in the covered stand.

Easy now son.

Reillers reports 12,000

Various other media outlets & gardai report the figure as anywhere between 7-12k

Reillers and Frank Murphy/Ger Mac have more in common than they think - both are fond of the aul exageratting.

600 people counted.
Litterally.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 09:35:32 PM
QuoteThe 2008 panel will only be managed this year by someone who will be prepared to take them all back. That much is fairly assured.

I would say that is entirely incorrect, all the players want is a good manager, if they got that and he decided that some of them weren't up to scratch and dropped them, i'm sure there wouldn't be any problems. Anyway all the main protagonists are definitely worth their place on the panel at least. If only Gerald goes now then neither side have really given up anything, FM and his buddies will still be there until the end of the year at least and then it can be reviewed by CP.

The reality is that nobody, including Gerald, gains anything by him staying but if he goes then Cork can at least get their best players back on the field.

So not only do they want to veto the manager, they want to pick the team too? No wonder they were happy with their former masseuse as 'manager'..

Perhaps someday when the sponsored cars go back, the sponsorship launches dry up and RTE no longer give the ringleaders a platform they'll realise it was about playing hurling and not all the other external shi*e.
They weren't asking questions, just to themselves. They were wondering why Naughton hadn't been started because he was flying on the wing. Not asking Allen, just asking themselves. Pushing eachother and asking themselves.

Stop nit picking ffs.

It's all confusion & contradiction on Reillersland.

"They were pushing and asking questions to why Naughton wasn't starting in 06"

Two minutes later

"They weren't asking questions"

I know it's a radical idea but one that generally serves the other 31 counties well enough.

When a talented player is selected to compete for a place on his counties hurling or football team, he attends training, does his best and hopefully gains a place on the team. He doesnt want to veto the manager and pick the team

I understand the hurling gets sidetracked though what with all the sponsored cars and six figure commercial incomes per annum.

orangeman

That's enough about how many were there or not there lads - that's not important.

What do you make of Ryan's interview in the Tribune ? Kieran Murphy wants to return to the panel etc etc.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 04:24:28 PM
Quote from: dowling on March 01, 2009, 01:43:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 01, 2009, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: dowling on March 01, 2009, 04:18:41 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 28, 2009, 07:57:35 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it but you seem to be insisting that he answers and I fail to see why.

If there's nothing wrong why do you feel compelled to post. If Reillers answers me that will be first hand information and surely that's a good thing. I repeated my question because with so many posts and pages some questions and comments get lost, understandably.
Can I now presume that if anyone else seems insistent to you with a question for anyone you'll feel compelled to comment.
Although it's been a while I still have faith Reillers will answer, regardless of what it will be.

You seem a bit tetchy about this dowling, I'll ask you again why do need to know Reillers club? Anyway as 'GAA' has pointed out some of his posts indicate what club he's from.

To answer the question you posed to me, well yes I might feel compelled to wonder why one poster is insisting another poster answers a personal question with little to do with the topic at hand.

I'm not tetchy at all Zulu, in fact I'm trying to placate you and GAA to a degree by responding to your posts. I could just be dismissive and point out the question was for Reillers but I'm not.
And again I never asked what Reiller's club was and have no need to know. So if you're going to respond to posts directed to someone else at least understand what the post was.
So we can keep this to-ing and fro-ing between you GAA and myself that really is pointless or just waut to see if Reillers has anything to say. You don't think he's taking legal advice do you? As he hasn't been on in a while I hope he's ok.

CAme on here to comment on the Galway demolition, wasn't expecting this.
Why do ya wanna know?
I was considering answering you but the attitude at the end of your post  has turned me off a tad.

Firstly Reillers if you took offence at anything in my post it wasn't meant that way. Being a relative newcomer I was slightly concerned by your absence because you've always been a constant in this debate.
But you had been going on about the clubs and where they stand so I was just wondering about your own club. If you choose not to answer wher your own club stands that's fair enough. I'll acknowledge your right to remain silent and draw no conclusions from it.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2009, 09:43:44 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 09:35:32 PM

They weren't asking questions, just to themselves. They were wondering why Naughton hadn't been started because he was flying on the wing. Not asking Allen, just asking themselves. Pushing eachother and asking themselves.

Stop nit picking ffs.

It's all confusion & contradiction on Reillersland.

"They were pushing and asking questions to why Naughton wasn't starting in 06"

Two minutes later

"They weren't asking questions"

I know it's a radical idea but one that generally serves the other 31 counties well enough.

When a talented player is selected to compete for a place on his counties hurling or football team, he attends training, does his best and hopefully gains a place on the team. He doesnt want to veto the manager and pick the team

I understand the hurling gets sidetracked though what with all the sponsored cars and six figure commercial incomes per annum.

The quote that I got it from..
In a review of the Corcoran book it said. Before the Waterford game the subs had been putting in great work, asking questions of the players, pushing them to the max.Players had been impressing in training, especially young Naughton.
'Young Cathal Naughton in praticular is flying out on the wing. I turn to Sully. I'm surprised he hasn't seen any action yet.
Same here says Sully, I was only saying to Fred Sheedy the other night. Imagine being a corner or wing back and have him come running at you with 15 minutes to go. Your worst nightmare.'

That is where I got it wrong. I worded it badly, but that is it, pretty much word for word.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 01, 2009, 09:53:58 PM
That's enough about how many were there or not there lads - that's not important.

What do you make of Ryan's interview in the Tribune ? Kieran Murphy wants to return to the panel etc etc.

They all want to return to the panel. Stop reading into it. He tends to have a head on the shoulders, but some of the stuff he says is out of line for someone who's been on the team for 5 seconds. There are about 60 players ahead of most of these players and he has to earn respect before he talks like that.

An Fraggy Murphy, I've all the time in the world for that lad, of course he wants to play, they all do.

orangeman

Lads -  I don't want to be accused of "reading into it", I'm going to post the interview again, so can you have another wee read at this and let me know what your opinions are ? Thanks.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Ewan MacKenna
Ray Ryan was a nobody in the hurling world but after the 2008 panel walked, he was left to captain Cork and live out a waking dream amongst the heckles and abuse

Red alert: current captain Ray Ryan has criticised the 2008 panel for walking away and while he admits they are not doing it for self gain, he believes they have gone about solving the current situation in the wrong way Come. Pull up a chair, empty your heads and open your minds. With all the artillery that's been going off on either side, it's not often you hear those calling out from no man's land. It's where Ray Ryan has been lying largely unnoticed since December, watching the shells fly overhead and seeing more than the odd one land a little close. On a night out in Cork city recently, he left a pub only to have a group of women fire off the words "captain scab" in his direction. It was far from the only time that phrase had been spat out at the county's 2009 on-field leader.

Undeterred he's arranged to meet in the city centre and suggested he'll wear his Cork hoodie. His attire is not so much to make a statement but so you'll actually recognise him. And it's needed because a hurling history of Ray Ryan is brief and largely irrelevant. Now 27, he'd never hurled for Cork at any age, never won a county title until last season but points out that he does have a seven-a-side Kilmacud title in his possession. Little wonder he was better known in sporting circles as Pat Ryan's younger brother for years on end.

There was that one time when he got close to following family footsteps. Back in 2006 when Sarsfields reached a county semi-final and he was named centre-back on the Cork club team of the year, he was asked along to trials. Reckons it went well too, but when the call never came he decided to get real and moved on. Then late last year the phone did ring. It was his clubmate and county selector Teddy McCarthy on behalf of Gerald McCarthy, asking him to come on board for the game against St Colman's.

"There were mixed emotions. Usually it's the call every hurler is looking for but at the time I was a bit iffy. I was wondering if I'd be treading on peoples' toes. With Teddy I knew which side he was coming from so I didn't ask him for advice. I'd seek that from other sources like family and friends but the one person I wanted to clear it with most was Kieran Murphy. It was a very difficult position for him as a member of the 2008 panel and the fact we've always been very, very good friends.

"But I had a very good chat with Kieran and he would never stop anyone playing for Cork. At the time we all thought it would be sorted before long anyway. He'd go back to his old duties with Cork and I'd filter back in with Sars. But he's a club man first and was delighted in one way that we all [Ryan and his Sarsfields clubmates] got the call and I even got a phone call the morning of the Tipperary game from him telling me to enjoy Semple Stadium. He is supportive and I know for a fact he wants to be back with Cork. He just wants to play hurling. But I can understand his allegiance to the 2008 panel because they have to stick together."

With Kieran okay with the idea, the other he sought counsel from was Pat. Man of the match in the 1997 All Ireland under-21 final, the player that rocked and rolled Clare when coming on for Mark Landers in '99 and a senior panellist into and beyond the millennium, big brother was far from keen. He suggested Ray wait and see how the situation played out and became more vocal when telling his brother that he listened to but never heeded advice. Given the situation at home, you ask what it was that made Ray join the 2009 side?

"The thing for me was my age and I wondered was it worth getting this hassle to play for Cork. For any 19-, 20-, 21-year old to get a chance to show what they are about, the minute they were asked it should be an automatic yes. But me? I suppose the best way to put it is that for years I was a fan and I'm of the opinion it should be a privilege to play for your county. I understand the problems the Cork players from last year have but I don't think they are going about it the right way. Like Pat was involved in the 2002 strike but I think that it's different this time. What they are doing is not right."

You mention the jersey a lot but does that honour not come from the achievement that you are one of the best 30 players in your county which this group is not, you ask? Does that honour not come from working hard and being good enough rather than by default which is the case with you and your team?

"Let me put it this way. If you wear the jersey at minor, junior or senior, you are still getting to wear it, still getting to play for your county. We are representing the best players Cork have to offer in the National League. There's honour in that. There's honour in playing under Ger Mc. I was at the CIT [Sigerson Cup] game Wednesday and the two best hurlers on view were Ger O'Driscoll and Chris Murphy who are on the Cork panel. It just shows how good a trainer Ger is. The players that are on form with club or college seem to be the players he is taking care of. So there is loads of honour there.

"And given what I've seen of Ger Mc I was surprised at some of the stuff people said about him. Brian Cody said a very good thing. You are never going to get a manager everyone gets on with. I've had club managers I didn't like, I didn't agree with, but they are still the manager, you do what they say and try to impress them. But that's the way last year's side feel, they've had him for two years, I've only had him for two months. You could say we don't know what it takes to win because we haven't been involved. Guys like Seán Óg, I'd admire them hugely and idolised them over the last few years and of course they know what it takes to win but they made a decision and aren't playing."

As for the guys that are playing, it hasn't been easy on or off the pitch. Ryan admits he felt moral dilemmas ahead of the game against Colman's and that there was a general unease in the dressing room. Part of that came from the lack of natural evolution that most senior county panels have gone through. They were like an under-12 team coming together for the first time with no cohesion and no knowledge of each other. But while they are gradually overcoming that, realism is still everywhere. "The likelihood is relegation and being beaten by Tipp in the championship but that doesn't mean we are half-paced in training and so on," he admits. But a bigger worry remains off the field.

"You mentioned scab earlier. I love that word. I've heard it a lot but I'm big and old and able to take it on the chin but I think that's way out of line and very unfair on the young fellas who are giving everything to play for Cork at the minute. Fellas who use this lingo are not true supporters. Words like that will have an impact. The harsh realism of this is these guys are going to play for Cork in the future and this isn't going to endear them to that experience very much.

"These people don't know anything about hurling. You can see you're getting looks when you are out and about and people are disgusted and think if we weren't there the whole thing would be sorted. But that's not true. It's impossible for the 2008 panel to get everyone to walk away from playing for Cork. I don't think they are on strike for self-gain, but they have made a mistake. They should have three solid months of training done already. At the end of the day they should want to represent Cork and that's all we're doing. That doesn't deserve abuse. It's sport and people are taking this way too far. We're just a bunch of guys playing hurling for Cork."

Before his voice is again lost in no man's land, you mention the GPA. He refuses to comment but adds that it's clear they don't want this Cork team in, that they refused a group that never wanted to be members to begin with and that Dessie Farrell need not lose too much sleep because they couldn't really care. You mention Frank Murphy as well but he says he's had no influence other than the odd pat in the back and the odd word of congratulations in the dressing room.

So what now for Pat Ryan's younger brother? "I do sometimes imagine a sunny day at Semple Stadium in the championship. But on Sunday against Galway I get to walk up for the toss with my head up and chest out knowing I'm captain of Cork. People can say what they want about me now but they can never take that away from me."

emackenna@tribune.ie

muppet

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2009, 09:38:34 PM

Easy now son.

Reillers reports 12,000

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/eyauausneysn/

Breakingnews put it at less than 600. I was at a county final in Cork a few years ago when there was 25,000 in attendance.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0301/cork_galway.html

RTE say less than 600.
MWWSI 2017

Reillers

Om I've read the thing 4 and half times by now, no need to post it twice.

dowling

Quote from: orangeman on March 01, 2009, 10:11:45 PM
Lads -  I don't want to be accused of "reading into it", I'm going to post the interview again, so can you have another wee read at this and let me know what your opinions are ? Thanks.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Ewan MacKenna
Ray Ryan was a nobody in the hurling world but after the 2008 panel walked, he was left to captain Cork and live out a waking dream amongst the heckles and abuse

Red alert: current captain Ray Ryan has criticised the 2008 panel for walking away and while he admits they are not doing it for self gain, he believes they have gone about solving the current situation in the wrong way Come. Pull up a chair, empty your heads and open your minds. With all the artillery that's been going off on either side, it's not often you hear those calling out from no man's land. It's where Ray Ryan has been lying largely unnoticed since December, watching the shells fly overhead and seeing more than the odd one land a little close. On a night out in Cork city recently, he left a pub only to have a group of women fire off the words "captain scab" in his direction. It was far from the only time that phrase had been spat out at the county's 2009 on-field leader.

Undeterred he's arranged to meet in the city centre and suggested he'll wear his Cork hoodie. His attire is not so much to make a statement but so you'll actually recognise him. And it's needed because a hurling history of Ray Ryan is brief and largely irrelevant. Now 27, he'd never hurled for Cork at any age, never won a county title until last season but points out that he does have a seven-a-side Kilmacud title in his possession. Little wonder he was better known in sporting circles as Pat Ryan's younger brother for years on end.

There was that one time when he got close to following family footsteps. Back in 2006 when Sarsfields reached a county semi-final and he was named centre-back on the Cork club team of the year, he was asked along to trials. Reckons it went well too, but when the call never came he decided to get real and moved on. Then late last year the phone did ring. It was his clubmate and county selector Teddy McCarthy on behalf of Gerald McCarthy, asking him to come on board for the game against St Colman's.

"There were mixed emotions. Usually it's the call every hurler is looking for but at the time I was a bit iffy. I was wondering if I'd be treading on peoples' toes. With Teddy I knew which side he was coming from so I didn't ask him for advice. I'd seek that from other sources like family and friends but the one person I wanted to clear it with most was Kieran Murphy. It was a very difficult position for him as a member of the 2008 panel and the fact we've always been very, very good friends.

"But I had a very good chat with Kieran and he would never stop anyone playing for Cork. At the time we all thought it would be sorted before long anyway. He'd go back to his old duties with Cork and I'd filter back in with Sars. But he's a club man first and was delighted in one way that we all [Ryan and his Sarsfields clubmates] got the call and I even got a phone call the morning of the Tipperary game from him telling me to enjoy Semple Stadium. He is supportive and I know for a fact he wants to be back with Cork. He just wants to play hurling. But I can understand his allegiance to the 2008 panel because they have to stick together."

With Kieran okay with the idea, the other he sought counsel from was Pat. Man of the match in the 1997 All Ireland under-21 final, the player that rocked and rolled Clare when coming on for Mark Landers in '99 and a senior panellist into and beyond the millennium, big brother was far from keen. He suggested Ray wait and see how the situation played out and became more vocal when telling his brother that he listened to but never heeded advice. Given the situation at home, you ask what it was that made Ray join the 2009 side?

"The thing for me was my age and I wondered was it worth getting this hassle to play for Cork. For any 19-, 20-, 21-year old to get a chance to show what they are about, the minute they were asked it should be an automatic yes. But me? I suppose the best way to put it is that for years I was a fan and I'm of the opinion it should be a privilege to play for your county. I understand the problems the Cork players from last year have but I don't think they are going about it the right way. Like Pat was involved in the 2002 strike but I think that it's different this time. What they are doing is not right."

You mention the jersey a lot but does that honour not come from the achievement that you are one of the best 30 players in your county which this group is not, you ask? Does that honour not come from working hard and being good enough rather than by default which is the case with you and your team?

"Let me put it this way. If you wear the jersey at minor, junior or senior, you are still getting to wear it, still getting to play for your county. We are representing the best players Cork have to offer in the National League. There's honour in that. There's honour in playing under Ger Mc. I was at the CIT [Sigerson Cup] game Wednesday and the two best hurlers on view were Ger O'Driscoll and Chris Murphy who are on the Cork panel. It just shows how good a trainer Ger is. The players that are on form with club or college seem to be the players he is taking care of. So there is loads of honour there.

"And given what I've seen of Ger Mc I was surprised at some of the stuff people said about him. Brian Cody said a very good thing. You are never going to get a manager everyone gets on with. I've had club managers I didn't like, I didn't agree with, but they are still the manager, you do what they say and try to impress them. But that's the way last year's side feel, they've had him for two years, I've only had him for two months. You could say we don't know what it takes to win because we haven't been involved. Guys like Seán Óg, I'd admire them hugely and idolised them over the last few years and of course they know what it takes to win but they made a decision and aren't playing."

As for the guys that are playing, it hasn't been easy on or off the pitch. Ryan admits he felt moral dilemmas ahead of the game against Colman's and that there was a general unease in the dressing room. Part of that came from the lack of natural evolution that most senior county panels have gone through. They were like an under-12 team coming together for the first time with no cohesion and no knowledge of each other. But while they are gradually overcoming that, realism is still everywhere. "The likelihood is relegation and being beaten by Tipp in the championship but that doesn't mean we are half-paced in training and so on," he admits. But a bigger worry remains off the field.

"You mentioned scab earlier. I love that word. I've heard it a lot but I'm big and old and able to take it on the chin but I think that's way out of line and very unfair on the young fellas who are giving everything to play for Cork at the minute. Fellas who use this lingo are not true supporters. Words like that will have an impact. The harsh realism of this is these guys are going to play for Cork in the future and this isn't going to endear them to that experience very much.

"These people don't know anything about hurling. You can see you're getting looks when you are out and about and people are disgusted and think if we weren't there the whole thing would be sorted. But that's not true. It's impossible for the 2008 panel to get everyone to walk away from playing for Cork. I don't think they are on strike for self-gain, but they have made a mistake. They should have three solid months of training done already. At the end of the day they should want to represent Cork and that's all we're doing. That doesn't deserve abuse. It's sport and people are taking this way too far. We're just a bunch of guys playing hurling for Cork."

Before his voice is again lost in no man's land, you mention the GPA. He refuses to comment but adds that it's clear they don't want this Cork team in, that they refused a group that never wanted to be members to begin with and that Dessie Farrell need not lose too much sleep because they couldn't really care. You mention Frank Murphy as well but he says he's had no influence other than the odd pat in the back and the odd word of congratulations in the dressing room.

So what now for Pat Ryan's younger brother? "I do sometimes imagine a sunny day at Semple Stadium in the championship. But on Sunday against Galway I get to walk up for the toss with my head up and chest out knowing I'm captain of Cork. People can say what they want about me now but they can never take that away from me."

emackenna@tribune.ie

Great honesty and integrity there in that fella OM. And looks like the Cork panel aren't for stepping aside just to placate others.

dowling

Any reason why you wont answer my query Reillers? Wouldn't be because your club don't think like you would it?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 01, 2009, 10:16:46 PM
Om I've read the thing 4 and half times by now, no need to post it twice.

Ok - what do you think of the comment about Gerald ?

About FM ??

About how he feels that the 2008 panel have gone about it the wrong road ?

About him being callled "captain scab" ?

Is it really worth all this ?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 01, 2009, 10:24:05 PM
Any reason why you wont answer my query Reillers? Wouldn't be because your club don't think like you would it?

See this is why I don't answer your question Dowling. You ask me it and then follow it up with something like this. I've made it clear what club I'm from if you bothered your ass looking you'd probably catch on.
Why would I respond to you when you come up with shit like that?