McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 26, 2009, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: sligeach on February 26, 2009, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: The GAA on February 26, 2009, 11:01:52 AM
now that is one instance with one club and technically frank did nothing wrong. but i wonder how many arms he twisted that day to get his 3 motions forced through and how many favours he can maipulate any given week?

I'm sorry but I've read it twice and I can't see what I'm supposed to be reading as 'evil' or 'dictatorial' in that ?

What you have just stated is exactly what I would have expected from anyone in such a position.

I mean, you do know that the lads in Leinster house, the house of commons, the American senate etc all do this ? Its not the exception, its the norm for democracy.

I find this to be the most amazing view on this issue, which appears to be that democracy isn't really that and is a very flawed system but so what, that is the reality of democracy. We are an amateur organisation and for a paid official to use a slightly late document as leverage to get a vote a certain way is a disgrace and a gross misuse of power. Now maybe that is the way of life but it is a disgraceful abuse of power and renders all arguments that any vote taken by any CB is infact democratic and if it isn't truely democratic then none of us need take any notice of decisions made via that process. Sligeach you obviously don't care what Frank does, as long as he is not imprisoning club members and raising whole villages he ain't all that bad, that's your view and your entitled to it but I want a better GAA than that and this strike might help achiebve it.

There is zero evidence that this happened. Zero !! So don't use it as an example.

Zulu

Coming from a man who has posted numerous opinions not only without evidence but often in the face of all known evidence is quite funny. However I'm not referring to that particular example I'm referring to Sigeach attitude that a county secretary can pull these types of strokes and it is all right because that is democracy.

orangeman

As I said earlier, this kind of thing has been happening in every sports since sport was invented. Sport, politics, cliques, underhand deals, behind backs deals are part of life.

I referred to some of the biggest decisions on the GAA's history being effected / influenced by favours and/ or promises made - it's the way of the world - happens in Cork and every other county. Happens in club committes right up to Croke Park level.

I know you say you would like a GAA without this practice, but I'm sorry it is and will be a feature of GAA "democracy" as long as there is a GAA.

Zulu

The point I'm making is that it isn't acceptable, you and other pro-CB posters questioned if FM could influence votes, now yer saying that influencing votes is common practice and therefore nothing to be getting upset about. So having argued for so long about the democratic process and the grassroots club man having his voice heard yer now saying democracy is a sham but hey that's life. The backhander, brown envelop type politicing that has helped get us into the financial mess that were in and the sporting mess that Cork are in is all right according to some of ye beacause that's the way of the world.

Well I want something better for the GAA and while I accept there will always be a bit of 'politicing' in the GAA, I expect the paid employees of the GAA to let the voice of the volunteers be heard and adhered to, and hopfully the players stance will go some way towards that.

orangeman

By and large the GAA as an organsiation works fairly well - we will always have gripes about something or other. We will always suspect that votes were influenced by the top table. Sometimes we're right , sometimes wrong. The 2008 panel have ended up talking about the clubs taking over control. It merely started out as an attempt to get Gerald out as they didn't want him as manager which is a far cry from where we're at now - trying to revolutionise GAA  administration at all levels.

Had the 2008 panel been able to successfully veto Gerald, there wouldn't be a word today about FM, the CB or junior club representation.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on February 26, 2009, 08:28:01 PM

Well I want something better for the GAA and while I accept there will always be a bit of 'politicing' in the GAA, I expect the paid employees of the GAA to let the voice of the volunteers be heard and adhered to, and hopfully the players stance will go some way towards that.

I don't think anyone would genuinely disagree with you on that front even if the story is unproven (though along the lines of similar stories I've heard dozens of times)

Were there minutes and a sign in sheet at last weeks club/strikers meeting?

If not, the meeting can easily be dismissed as club cranks without a mandate..

Owenmoresider

Quote from: INDIANA on February 26, 2009, 04:46:48 PM
Good man Dessie good scaremongeirng again. What a t**t. GPA to the rescue, all he needs is the Lone Ranger music in the background.

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell believes the ongoing Cork hurlers' strike won't be the last the GAA has to deal with.

Farrell fears further strikes will take place unless county boards decide to implement proper standards to deal with players' needs. And he feels such action could be prevented if the GPA was afforded official recognition by the GAA.

"I think it will be more prevalent that players will want to exert themselves in this way, it comes down to how that's managed," Farrell said.

"I think there is an opportunity through official recognition of the GPA to address issues like that."

The former Dublin star also admitted that the current Cork dispute is unlikely to be resolved through compromise, suggesting that there will be "victors" when the dispute finally reaches its denouement.

He added that it was the "democratic wish" of the clubs and rank and file GAA members to see the 2008 panel back in the Cork colours this year.

"I'd imagine it's a situation where one side will be victors," he said.

"We've been very supportive of the stance taken by the panel and we're anxious to see it resolved.

"It's amazing to watch the twists and turns in this because initially there was a lot of criticism of the players' stance. The 10 or 12,000 people that marched in Cork and now the meeting with the chairmen was one of overwhelming support."

He added: "If the democratic wishes within clubs are properly expressed, you will see the players back this year. Ultimately it will be the clubs that make the final decision and Sunday night was one step in that process.

"There seems to be a consensus among clubs in Cork that there needs to be reform. Now obviously those feelings have to back to the clubs in Cork and motions tabled.

"If the sentiment from the club chairmen is anything to go by, there seems to be a lot of support for the '08 squad. There may be an opportunity to remedy big issues that have been at play within Cork GAA over the last number of years.

"There is a great deal of frustration coming from clubs in that they believe there is a democratic deficit. This is a big issue for Cork GAA - how come the county board called an emergency meeting last Friday night and club delegates hadn't been mandated or weren't aware of the issues that were coming up? That has annoyed a lot of people."

The elephant in the room wakes again. Funny how he speaks lovingly of democracy, but was only too happy to insult people, of this parish and elsewhere, who had the temerity to disagree with him on certain matters via the papers not so long ago.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 26, 2009, 08:13:11 PM
As I said earlier, this kind of thing has been happening in every sports since sport was invented. Sport, politics, cliques, underhand deals, behind backs deals are part of life.

I referred to some of the biggest decisions on the GAA's history being effected / influenced by favours and/ or promises made - it's the way of the world - happens in Cork and every other county. Happens in club committes right up to Croke Park level.

I know you say you would like a GAA without this practice, but I'm sorry it is and will be a feature of GAA "democracy" as long as there is a GAA.

so you have no problem with the players not playing to influence a few democratic decisions?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 26, 2009, 07:53:24 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 26, 2009, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: sligeach on February 26, 2009, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: The GAA on February 26, 2009, 11:01:52 AM
now that is one instance with one club and technically frank did nothing wrong. but i wonder how many arms he twisted that day to get his 3 motions forced through and how many favours he can maipulate any given week?

I'm sorry but I've read it twice and I can't see what I'm supposed to be reading as 'evil' or 'dictatorial' in that ?

What you have just stated is exactly what I would have expected from anyone in such a position.

I mean, you do know that the lads in Leinster house, the house of commons, the American senate etc all do this ? Its not the exception, its the norm for democracy.

I find this to be the most amazing view on this issue, which appears to be that democracy isn't really that and is a very flawed system but so what, that is the reality of democracy. We are an amateur organisation and for a paid official to use a slightly late document as leverage to get a vote a certain way is a disgrace and a gross misuse of power. Now maybe that is the way of life but it is a disgraceful abuse of power and renders all arguments that any vote taken by any CB is infact democratic and if it isn't truely democratic then none of us need take any notice of decisions made via that process. Sligeach you obviously don't care what Frank does, as long as he is not imprisoning club members and raising whole villages he ain't all that bad, that's your view and your entitled to it but I want a better GAA than that and this strike might help achiebve it.

There is zero evidence that this happened. Zero !! So don't use it as an example.
Nothing can ever be proven and that's the point. Everyone knows crap like this happen ALL the time in Cork GAA.
I've heard about things, from different clubs, from my club..etc. But none of it technically can be proven because it'll come down to FM.
I could give you 100 other examples like that.
But because they "can't be proven" ye wont except it, why because accept it. If there's anything that could show the players stance in a good light is ignored or unacceptable.
You the likes of Dowling, Indiana ye wont accept that because heaven forbid that the players aren't the people ye try to make them out to be.

Answer me this,

Personally I've got to ask how people, especially a few clubs left, can still support this regime.
Ger Lane as good as told the nation on Primetime that it's the CB that counts not the clubs. This has been the stongest declaration of un democracy that I have heard so far. How can some people especially some of the remaining pro cb clubs, accept this? The CCB is there because of our clubs, if our clubs are ignored then they are there for no reason. The CCB need to be brought down, and the clubs are the only way to do it.

And as the Munster Council Secretary, Pat Fitzgerald said on the CCB..

"The view may be taken that the County Board executive is 'technically correct' in their advocacy of the relevant rules but 'not morally correct.' "

It's a joke.
And ye are backing, a CB that no longer represents the grassroots, which the largely excepted opinion now, because ye are too proud to admit otherwise, no proof, technically by the book..etc.
Everyone knows what's really happening, but ye are excepting the fact that the CB no loinger have the same opinion of the clubs, they know longer serve the grassroots, which is their priorty service, ya SERVICE.
It doesn't matter if it's technically right or not,, going by the small print hiden in the rule book and in the politics of it all, it's morally wrong, Lane basically said we don't care what the clubs think, we have all the power.
Every true GAA person should be disgusted with them.

But no, technically, ye are right. So well done.
Ye are so hell bent on being technically right that ye have all lost perspective in this, forget about the players for a minute, which I think, I hope, is the only reason ye are defending FM and the CB, the GAA is about serving the clubs, not the clubs serving the CB. So ye are fighting over known facts that are technically not proven and technically what's right or wrong. But when, when was the GAA truely ever about politics and being technically right by the rule book for the fans. And I can't believe that ye are fighting against this.
It's about the clubs, it's always been about the clubs first and foremost, and they are no longer being represented and the cb have come out and said we don't care what the clubs think, but they are technically right.
And ye back them..unbelievable.

bingobus

Reillers Post checklist:

Primetime - check
Grassroots - check
True GAA people - check
12,000 March - ?????

Ye better edit that last post quick, you forgot the March    ;D  ;D

Reillers

Quote from: bingobus on February 26, 2009, 11:03:34 PM
Reillers Post checklist:

Primetime - check
Grassroots - check
True GAA people - check
12,000 March - ?????

And surprise surprise here come the nit picking posters who refuse to answer questions that they can't answer.
Waits for OM, Dowling and co.

anglocelt39

Reillers Post checklist:

Primetime - check
Grassroots - check
True GAA people - check
12,000 March - ?????

Bloody hell it's got to the stage where I'm agreeing with/enjoying the postings of my mushroom picking neighbours. Congrats on the 13 provincial titles. My conclusion from our friend Reillers at this stage is that, clearly, the FM guy was responsible for the 9/11 attacks, the outbreak of Aids in the Africcan subcontinent, the Tsumani in South East Asia some years ago.

A more biased clown I have seldom come across in my history of observing this board. Normally I would try to be mannerly but I will make an exception for you and apply the same posting standards that you apply to Gerald Mc, FM and anybody who takes issue with your utterly biased views. So just one question, how much, exactly, of Sean Og O Hasbeens endorsement monies, approximately, are you pocketing for pedalling your on going horseshite. Cruel perhaps, but worthy of being asked and no worse than some of the disgraceful stuff you have pedalled on this thread. Don't you have any other interests?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on February 26, 2009, 11:06:26 PM
Reillers Post checklist:

Primetime - check
Grassroots - check
True GAA people - check
12,000 March - ?????

And surprise surprise here come the nit picking posters who refuse to answer questions that they can't answer.
Waits for OM, Dowling and co.

Sweet mother divine...wtf is that suppose to mean. Cracking up on that one. Was it the meaning of Life you where looking for?

Angocelt, my penny-pinching, dinner in drawer, neighbour. Good summary.  ;D  ;D

dowling

Quote from: INDIANA on February 26, 2009, 04:46:48 PM
Good man Dessie good scaremongeirng again. What a t**t. GPA to the rescue, all he needs is the Lone Ranger music in the background.

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell believes the ongoing Cork hurlers' strike won't be the last the GAA has to deal with.

Farrell fears further strikes will take place unless county boards decide to implement proper standards to deal with players' needs. And he feels such action could be prevented if the GPA was afforded official recognition by the GAA.

"I think it will be more prevalent that players will want to exert themselves in this way, it comes down to how that's managed," Farrell said.

"I think there is an opportunity through official recognition of the GPA to address issues like that."

The former Dublin star also admitted that the current Cork dispute is unlikely to be resolved through compromise, suggesting that there will be "victors" when the dispute finally reaches its denouement.

He added that it was the "democratic wish" of the clubs and rank and file GAA members to see the 2008 panel back in the Cork colours this year.

"I'd imagine it's a situation where one side will be victors," he said.

"We've been very supportive of the stance taken by the panel and we're anxious to see it resolved.

"It's amazing to watch the twists and turns in this because initially there was a lot of criticism of the players' stance. The 10 or 12,000 people that marched in Cork and now the meeting with the chairmen was one of overwhelming support."

He added: "If the democratic wishes within clubs are properly expressed, you will see the players back this year. Ultimately it will be the clubs that make the final decision and Sunday night was one step in that process.

"There seems to be a consensus among clubs in Cork that there needs to be reform. Now obviously those feelings have to back to the clubs in Cork and motions tabled.

"If the sentiment from the club chairmen is anything to go by, there seems to be a lot of support for the '08 squad. There may be an opportunity to remedy big issues that have been at play within Cork GAA over the last number of years.

"There is a great deal of frustration coming from clubs in that they believe there is a democratic deficit. This is a big issue for Cork GAA - how come the county board called an emergency meeting last Friday night and club delegates hadn't been mandated or weren't aware of the issues that were coming up? That has annoyed a lot of people."

Would that now be the GPA becoming involved, more involved or having nothing to do with this?
I would say they've just become more involved and made that clear.
You would imagine there has been consultation with Donal og and co before this statement was released and that all parties, GPA and panel spokespersons - if there's a difference, agreed it. Let's turn up the heat so to speak and it's no surprise, it was always going to happen in spite of denials. The unfortunate thing is there is no doubt this will backfire because the GPA have now made the Cork dispute a GPA issue and crusuade which undermines anything the 2008 panel have been saying.
I'm sure if the county board felt they were on a hook, which I doubt they did, on seeing this statement said, ' right lads that's us of the hook, it's now a GPA GAA issue'.
Blundering from one day to the next.
Spin and no substane from the GPA and the 2008 panel.
The "democratic wish" of the clubs Dessie states; and how was that measured again?
But sure maybe the GPA aren't really involved.

dowling

Quote from: dowling on February 25, 2009, 11:48:07 AM
Well here's the big question, if the 2008 panel don't get the club support or the clubs can't challange the appointment through board meetings what's the next step for the panel? Wait on the footballers to see how much more disruption can be caused? Call in the GPA with all guns blazing? Ask for other counties to lend support? What will happen.
To be honest I think Dessie is itching to get in there more and is only being restrained so as not to muddy the waters that this is a GPA issue. His statement goes that wee bit further and it wouldn't be co-incidental it comes on the back of perceived strong support for the 2008 panel from clubs.

From two days ago, shows not all my attempts at analysing what might happen are wrong.