McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Not to my knowledge. you didn't answer the question again

Are you stating here that the cork hurlers are not volunteers, none of them?

orangeman

dowling

It's very much relevant GAA to try to work out where this is going and I've given a perspective which others on this board and in the public arena, such as Sean Moran, also hold.
I don't see Gerald going anywhere just yet though or the county board caving in. The 2008 panel asked 'delegates' at a meeting to follow an option which isn't viable. So what happens next?
In view of where we are at now and the fact that the 2008 panel don't seem to know what options are open to them and not, my conclusion, for the sake of ending the mess in Cork, as opposed to the dispute, is for the players to pull back.
I don't believe the same result would be achieved if the county board or Gerald capitulated. Such might give succour to the 2008 panel and their supporters but there would be a great bitterness left behind.
If the panel were to pull back it would be to their credit. While there's no guarantee any would want to come back the option would be there. In the meantime if the panel wished to pursue their 'grievance' they could examine the processes and rules of the GAA and canvass for a different strategy.

So where do you think this is going GAA and what should happen?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 26, 2009, 03:10:21 PM
They get paid - how can they be volunteers ?

Who pays them?

Frank is the only man in this equation getting paid.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 03:20:32 PM
It's very much relevant GAA to try to work out where this is going and I've given a perspective which others on this board and in the public arena, such as Sean Moran, also hold.
I don't see Gerald going anywhere just yet though or the county board caving in. The 2008 panel asked 'delegates' at a meeting to follow an option which isn't viable. So what happens next?
In view of where we are at now and the fact that the 2008 panel don't seem to know what options are open to them and not, my conclusion, for the sake of ending the mess in Cork, as opposed to the dispute, is for the players to pull back.
I don't believe the same result would be achieved if the county board or Gerald capitulated. Such might give succour to the 2008 panel and their supporters but there would be a great bitterness left behind.
If the panel were to pull back it would be to their credit. While there's no guarantee any would want to come back the option would be there. In the meantime if the panel wished to pursue their 'grievance' they could examine the processes and rules of the GAA and canvass for a different strategy.

So where do you think this is going GAA and what should happen?

If the players had "pulled back" as you and other would have wished continuously before now, they would not be on the brink of removing Frank Murphy. They would not have gotten the attention of ordinary club members enough to engage with their clubs and dictate these developments. There would be not intervention from croke park to sort out FM and all he has created.

calling everything off will create nothing but a void for Murphy and co to fill and it would subside the pressure now on them. It has never been more important for them to hold their line as the hard work is actually done. Other people will bring this to a conclusion for them now.

i think Croke park will broker a short term peace on the promise of a long term clean up at the end of the year.

dowling

Andwhat about the damage that's being done to Cork now and the future as long as this dispute keeps on the course it's on? Is that not worth making an honourable withdrawl?
What's wrong with your analysis though is that there is absolutely no indication Frank is going anywhere. Indeed the opposite is indicated as leading GAA figures are coming out in his support. And there's no indication either that the clubs will bring this to a conclusion. Don't forget not all 'delegates' at the meeting supported the panel and there were almost 100 clubs which were not represented so it's a presumtion to think the clubs are now on the panel's side. Indeed on Prime Time those supporters interviewed after the Tipp match I think it was said the clubs were not behind the players.

The GAA

Well how the clubs go is the unknownfor the time being but is the decisive factor.

The long term harm to cork hurling? This blood letting, if it removes murphy, will mean a healthier and more cohesive future for the GAA inth count. That's my opinion and the opinion of a lot of people but i don't expect you to agree with it.

The harm done by Murphy's reign to date can't be reversed but it can be halted

EddieMerx

This is all in vain anyway, once the Germans take over the running of this country (either that or the IMF) Hurling will have no place in the new German State.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 26, 2009, 03:52:28 PM

Well how the clubs go is the unknownfor the time being but is the decisive factor.

The long term harm to cork hurling? This blood letting, if it removes murphy, will mean a healthier and more cohesive future for the GAA inth count. That's my opinion and the opinion of a lot of people but i don't expect you to agree with it.

The harm done by Murphy's reign to date can't be reversed but it can be halted

The situ with the clubs is the unknown but the indications are there is at the very least an even split but because a large number of delegates turn up at a meeting they're hailed as the seventh calvary, with people conviently forgetting a large number of clubs didn't even bother to attend. so there's no basis to think this matter will be resolved. I'm not dismissive of your opinion even if I don't agree with it but look at the ponderables. What if the clubs element amounts to nothing and Frank and Gerald remain? Ok we know the footballers will strike and maybe the county board will try to replace them but what is going to happen to Cork GAA? And what if a second strike doesn't work? You have to ponder this. If you believe the panel will win this out that's ok but you have to consider the consequences of if they do win out and if they don't and decide what's for the greater good of Cork GAA.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 26, 2009, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 26, 2009, 03:10:21 PM
They get paid - how can they be volunteers ?

Who pays them?

Frank is the only man in this equation getting paid.

Frank is getting paid for a full time secretary's post.
The 2008 panel I'm sure got their cheques like everybody else, not to mention the other fringe benefit payments associated with thier status in the game.

Player power wll not help the GAA in the long term. Frank is not on the brink of being removed.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 04:23:49 PM
The situ with the clubs is the unknown but the indications are there is at the very least an even split but because a large number of delegates turn up at a meeting they're hailed as the seventh calvary, with people conviently forgetting a large number of clubs didn't even bother to attend. so there's no basis to think this matter will be resolved. I'm not dismissive of your opinion even if I don't agree with it but look at the ponderables. What if the clubs element amounts to nothing and Frank and Gerald remain? Ok we know the footballers will strike and maybe the county board will try to replace them but what is going to happen to Cork GAA? And what if a second strike doesn't work? You have to ponder this. If you believe the panel will win this out that's ok but you have to consider the consequences of if they do win out and if they don't and decide what's for the greater good of Cork GAA.

Neither of us know how the cub hig will go so we'll wait and see.

I don't believe the footballers will follow through on the strike threat but that's only my opinion - not based on anything

If the clubs' attempts come to nothing then that will be the end of a lot of these hurlers - for this year anyway but i'd be pretty certain een hen there'd be furher actions from the clubsin the autumn

INDIANA

Good man Dessie good scaremongeirng again. What a twat. GPA to the rescue, all he needs is the Lone Ranger music in the background.

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell believes the ongoing Cork hurlers' strike won't be the last the GAA has to deal with.

Farrell fears further strikes will take place unless county boards decide to implement proper standards to deal with players' needs. And he feels such action could be prevented if the GPA was afforded official recognition by the GAA.

"I think it will be more prevalent that players will want to exert themselves in this way, it comes down to how that's managed," Farrell said.

"I think there is an opportunity through official recognition of the GPA to address issues like that."

The former Dublin star also admitted that the current Cork dispute is unlikely to be resolved through compromise, suggesting that there will be "victors" when the dispute finally reaches its denouement.

He added that it was the "democratic wish" of the clubs and rank and file GAA members to see the 2008 panel back in the Cork colours this year.

"I'd imagine it's a situation where one side will be victors," he said.

"We've been very supportive of the stance taken by the panel and we're anxious to see it resolved.

"It's amazing to watch the twists and turns in this because initially there was a lot of criticism of the players' stance. The 10 or 12,000 people that marched in Cork and now the meeting with the chairmen was one of overwhelming support."

He added: "If the democratic wishes within clubs are properly expressed, you will see the players back this year. Ultimately it will be the clubs that make the final decision and Sunday night was one step in that process.

"There seems to be a consensus among clubs in Cork that there needs to be reform. Now obviously those feelings have to back to the clubs in Cork and motions tabled.

"If the sentiment from the club chairmen is anything to go by, there seems to be a lot of support for the '08 squad. There may be an opportunity to remedy big issues that have been at play within Cork GAA over the last number of years.

"There is a great deal of frustration coming from clubs in that they believe there is a democratic deficit. This is a big issue for Cork GAA - how come the county board called an emergency meeting last Friday night and club delegates hadn't been mandated or weren't aware of the issues that were coming up? That has annoyed a lot of people."

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on February 26, 2009, 04:46:48 PM
Good man Dessie good scaremongeirng again. What a t**t. GPA to the rescue, all he needs is the Lone Ranger music in the background.

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell believes the ongoing Cork hurlers' strike won't be the last the GAA has to deal with.

Farrell fears further strikes will take place unless county boards decide to implement proper standards to deal with players' needs. And he feels such action could be prevented if the GPA was afforded official recognition by the GAA.

"I think it will be more prevalent that players will want to exert themselves in this way, it comes down to how that's managed," Farrell said.

"I think there is an opportunity through official recognition of the GPA to address issues like that."

The former Dublin star also admitted that the current Cork dispute is unlikely to be resolved through compromise, suggesting that there will be "victors" when the dispute finally reaches its denouement.

He added that it was the "democratic wish" of the clubs and rank and file GAA members to see the 2008 panel back in the Cork colours this year.

"I'd imagine it's a situation where one side will be victors," he said.

"We've been very supportive of the stance taken by the panel and we're anxious to see it resolved.

"It's amazing to watch the twists and turns in this because initially there was a lot of criticism of the players' stance. The 10 or 12,000 people that marched in Cork and now the meeting with the chairmen was one of overwhelming support."

He added: "If the democratic wishes within clubs are properly expressed, you will see the players back this year. Ultimately it will be the clubs that make the final decision and Sunday night was one step in that process.

"There seems to be a consensus among clubs in Cork that there needs to be reform. Now obviously those feelings have to back to the clubs in Cork and motions tabled.

"If the sentiment from the club chairmen is anything to go by, there seems to be a lot of support for the '08 squad. There may be an opportunity to remedy big issues that have been at play within Cork GAA over the last number of years.

"There is a great deal of frustration coming from clubs in that they believe there is a democratic deficit. This is a big issue for Cork GAA - how come the county board called an emergency meeting last Friday night and club delegates hadn't been mandated or weren't aware of the issues that were coming up? That has annoyed a lot of people."

Timing is everything they say - choreography or what ?  :D :D :D :D :D

longrunsthefox

Council bracing itself for massive revenue shortfall
26 February 2009

The Munster Council fears that it could lose hundreds of thousands of euro in gate receipts if the Cork hurling dispute is not resolved.

Given that the senior football squad are committed to going on strike at the end of their NFL campaign if a solution to the hurling impasse is not found, the outlook is becoming increasingly gloomy.

Conor Counihan's men are due to play Waterford in the Munster championship on May 24 and while this would not be a big money-spinner, the hurling championship game between Cork and Tipperary a week later would be guaranteed to fill Semple Stadium's 53,000 capacity.

However, in the event of Cork fielding a third string team against the reigning Munster champions, the attendance would take a significant hit.

While accepting that there is a strong possibility of this happening, Munster Council secretary Pat Fitzgerald remains hopeful of a breakthrough, writing in his annual report: "In that troubled part of our country (Northern Ireland), greater divisions existed and they were able to sit down together and work out an agreement. Are we now that bitter that we cannot do the same?"

Such nonsense... when was GAA in North ever like divided like this and is no comparison to the Troubles if that's what he is on about.
Still the potential loss of money will soon focus the GAA to sort it out  :P   

Zulu

Quote from: sligeach on February 26, 2009, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: The GAA on February 26, 2009, 11:01:52 AM
now that is one instance with one club and technically frank did nothing wrong. but i wonder how many arms he twisted that day to get his 3 motions forced through and how many favours he can maipulate any given week?

I'm sorry but I've read it twice and I can't see what I'm supposed to be reading as 'evil' or 'dictatorial' in that ?

What you have just stated is exactly what I would have expected from anyone in such a position.

I mean, you do know that the lads in Leinster house, the house of commons, the American senate etc all do this ? Its not the exception, its the norm for democracy.

I find this to be the most amazing view on this issue, which appears to be that democracy isn't really that and is a very flawed system but so what, that is the reality of democracy. We are an amateur organisation and for a paid official to use a slightly late document as leverage to get a vote a certain way is a disgrace and a gross misuse of power. Now maybe that is the way of life but it is a disgraceful abuse of power and renders all arguments that any vote taken by any CB is infact democratic and if it isn't truely democratic then none of us need take any notice of decisions made via that process. Sligeach you obviously don't care what Frank does, as long as he is not imprisoning club members and raising whole villages he ain't all that bad, that's your view and your entitled to it but I want a better GAA than that and this strike might help achiebve it.