McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 25, 2009, 10:56:43 PM
talking to people in the room doesnt mean their club support them and some chairmen even said that
When, who, because the message I got was that they were all there as behalf of their clubs, and their clubs agreed to whether or not they should go in the first place, hence why some didn't go. They were sent to represent the true feelings of their clubs which weren't represented at CB level.
And that's why they are calling EGMs and such. Some are saying they are in the middle of organising it, others said they'd had their..etc.But 90% of the people there, that I'm aware of anyway, were there representing their clubs and their opinions, cause that was the point of it all.

theskull1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 25, 2009, 11:23:29 PM
Surely this is one of the busiest threads ever on the GAAboard. I would agree with one poster that it is fascinating how many posts Reillers has made on the topic, however I think no can deny his passion for Cork hurling at this stage.

No more love than FM or Ger McCarthy steve.

Winning hearts and minds in a media battle is an understood science to those who know how to manipulate it. Reillers knows this as do others on the anti striking side, but the man has plenty of time and in particular energy to devote to this war whilst alot of us at this stage are "bent double, like old beggars under sacks"

We really are going round and round as regard members commentary on the proceeding ...can we just admit this, and lets see how things pan out without reams and reams of the same old same old?

Still very much on the side of the 08 calling their strike off, leaving each of them the chance to be invited onto the 09 panel with Ger McC at the helm
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on February 25, 2009, 11:54:36 PM
Surely this is one of the busiest threads ever on the GAAboard. I would agree with one poster that it is fascinating how many posts Reillers has made on the topic, however I think no can deny his passion for Cork hurling at this stage.

Winning hearts and minds in a media battle is an understood science to those who know how to manipulate it. Reillers knows this as do others on the anti striking side, but the man has plenty of time and in particular energy to devote to this war whilst alot of us at this stage are "bent double, like old beggars under sacks"

We really are going round and round as regard members commentary on the proceeding ...can we just admit this, and lets see how things pan out without reams and reams of the same old same old?

Still very much on the side of the 08 calling their strike off, leaving each of them the chance to be invited onto the 09 panel with Ger McC at the helm
Why?

And you more the most if I remember rightly were one of the ones who kept going on about how the players lost the PR battle.

dowling

Quote from: passedit on February 25, 2009, 11:38:49 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 25, 2009, 10:21:17 PM
Reillers, just for the crack I had a countback on your activity on gaaboard.com today alone. 25 Posts today as of a few minutes ago, one topic and one world view, where exactly are you coming from in all this. Declare your interest because your lack of objectivity and lack of a life is palpable at this stage.

Celt

Just for the craic like, do the same for Dowling's posts and ask yourself the same question.

ps do not, for the sake of your sanity, do the same for Orangeman's posts.

edit for freudian slip

Have to say pissedit, you're like one of those tricky corner forwards, you don't even realise you're there and then out of the blue you pop up and strike a ball and the corner back's left thinking, "where the feck did he come from".
But I'm flattered all the same.

theskull1

Why? :-\ I don't want to repeat myself anymore.....it's tiresome saying the same thing over and over ..... but you seem to have more persistence that alot of us.

Re the PR battle being lost by the players ...I didn't refer to the players in this regard in my last post ....so ????

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Quote from: realrebel on February 25, 2009, 09:51:19 PM
reillers i have to stop you there
gerald has more support from the clubs than you think
i know gerald personally and i can tell you he gets calls from club members from all clubs across the county
so you dont really know how much support he has with the clubs
it has to be split evenly in clubs why would the clubs say it will split them

I would have to go along with you on the split ratio and that's the problem the 2008 panel, posters on here and the GPA miss. Whatever the outcome to all this as it is now there isn't going to be a winner or a loser for Cork. Maybe for the GPA, with the right 'result', but Cork as a county will be a lot worse off and it will go beyond the GAA.

whiskeysteve

I totally acknowledge that first part skull.

That is why I think it is distasteful that someone with Geralds obvious passion will have to fall on his sword at some stage. But it also seems inevitable to me now. I think it is the more realistic outcome than the 09 players declaring themselves for McCarthy at this stage. But I would fully respect your and others differing opinions on the matter and would fully agree with the latter in bold!

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on February 26, 2009, 12:24:36 AM
Why? :-\ I don't want to repeat myself anymore.....it's tiresome saying the same thing over and over ..... but you seem to have more persistence that alot of us.

Re the PR battle being lost by the players ...I didn't refer to the players in this regard in my last post ....so ????

When I say why, I mean why now, I knew why months ago, but after the march, after the trashings, after clear backings from the grassroots and the CB's reaction to it..etc, why still now?
But you have, time and time again, you just change it when you want it to suit your post.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 04:54:28 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 25, 2009, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 04:42:39 PM
Quote from: bingobus on February 25, 2009, 04:21:29 PM
Quote from: bingobus on February 25, 2009, 11:48:23 AM
Dowling sumed it up for me. The players claim that the CB was waiting in the grass for revenge for 2002 but to me the players have been very much waiting in the grass for the CB as well. The reappointment of Ger McCarthy was the excuse they needed. One day they won't play for Ger McCarthy but will play for a CB board who it would appear is the big problem and the big target for them.

This, to me, doesn't make sense. They seem to be luring in the smaller clubs to do their dirty work for them ie bring down the CB.

Where will this stop? Will the junior clubs end up going on strike? Have the players a master plan or have they stumbled their way to this point.

Also, FM is pillored at this stage. His crimes seem to be that he voted his own way at Congress a few years back and then reappointed Ger McCarthy. Sean Og said himself that as a secretary he is top class but continues to see his abuses his power.

Can anyone provide a list of these "crimes"? Seriously, list half a dozen specific incidents?

Has he been using Cork stationery for his own use, letting his mates in for free or awarding his own club a bye to the county final every year? Lets hear it.

Reillers you can answer me that, please. Genuinely want to know how bad it has been.

First of all you are out of your mind if you think the players were looking for the fight. They hate doing this. Joe Deane said that waiting for the arbitration deal to come up on the computer with Donal Og was more stressful then waiting for his test results.
And you think of a minute they enjoy this, that they would seek this out. That they enjoyed being slammed in the press and questioned about their loyalty and commitment. They weren't looking for this, they have been trying to avoid this and it has gotten worse every time.
OM really has come out with some clueless posts over the few hundred pages but this takes the prize really.
I don't know why the Junior Clubs have been dragged into this.  Lowering smaller clubs to do their dirty work. That is, and I've had to put up with OM for hundreds of pages, one of tne most ridiculous posts here because it shows you have no knowledge at all, not even a little bit of what's going on in Cork, never mind Cork GAA, never mind the Junior Clubs.
The Junior Clubs get no vote.
Lane asked will the Junior Clubs get a vote on Prime Time last night, she didn't ask all the questions but she did rip the man apart.
He responded saying they all ready had a vote.
It's a yes or no answer she said.
And of course he avoided it again.
The Junior Clubs were some of the most vocal at the meeting, they despise the board. The players invited every single club there. They had no idea what the reaction would be. The players barely said two words before clubs started to vent about the CB.
What you are saying is a massive insult to the Junior Clubs, clubs in general in Cork. No respect at all.
And what about Nemo, their chairmen spoke backing the players, one of the biggest clubs in Cork..oh there most be some other reason and excuse for that right?

QuoteHis crimes seem to be that he voted his own way at Congress a few years back and then reappointed Ger McCarthy.
Case an point. You have clearly come on here with no knowledge at all of the situation, just to bitch about the players.
The players have refused to play 3 times because of him, but he's done nothing wrong.
400 clubmen vented their frustration about FM, but he's done nothing wrong.
12000 took to the streets in Cork because of him, but he's done nothing wrong.

But oh no, never mind all that, all he's done is reappoint McCarthy. The man's a saint.

And you want me to list for God only knows how long what he's done when clearly you don't know anything about the situation and from the post just there aren't willing to except anything either, instead you insult thousands of people from hundreds of clubs and you want me to answer what FM has done. What's the point when it's clear from that post that you wont listen.

You didn't really answer that reillers. Just a half dozen examples are all the man/woman - no offence either way intended - is looking.

I will answer it if he gives me a reason to but I don't take lightly to someone thinking that our clubs can just be moved like that. It's insulting.
And besides that where I made it clear what I was going to do.
What others haven't I answered?

Reillers just a couple of those questions you haven't answered.
Are you a member of the GPA?
Is the Antrim manager, who was critical of the 2008 panel having a lack of principles, friendly with Sean og?

passedit

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:19:55 AM
Reillers, just for the crack I had a countback on your activity on gaaboard.com today alone. 25 Posts today as of a few minutes ago, one topic and one world view, where exactly are you coming from in all this. Declare your interest because your lack of objectivity and lack of a life is palpable at this stage.

Celt

Just for the craic like, do the same for Dowling's posts and ask yourself the same question.

edit for freudian slip

Have to say pissedit, you're like one of those tricky corner forwards, you don't even realise you're there and then out of the blue you pop up and strike a ball and the corner back's left thinking, "where the feck did he come from".

Hilarious, I see you've come down off your high horse regarding personal insults.

Anyway, since you joined this board, how many topics have you contributed to?

I don't need to ask about your agenda.

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:25:01 AM
I would have to go along with you on the split ratio and that's the problem the 2008 panel, posters on here and the GPA miss. Whatever the outcome to all this as it is now there isn't going to be a winner or a loser for Cork. Maybe for the GPA, with the right 'result', but Cork as a county will be a lot worse off and it will go beyond the GAA.
Don't Panic

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on February 26, 2009, 12:10:31 AM

Why?

And you more the most if I remember rightly were one of the ones who kept going on about how the players lost the PR battle.

Well apparently there was a rota taken at the meeting so why aren't we all allowed to know who was there? And there must have been minutes as well so let us all get an insight into what went on instead of all this hearsay.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:32:08 AM
Dowling sumed it up for me. The players claim that the CB was waiting in the grass for revenge for 2002 but to me the players have been very much waiting in the grass for the CB as well. The reappointment of Ger McCarthy was the excuse they needed. One day they won't play for Ger McCarthy but will play for a CB board who it would appear is the big problem and the big target for them.

This, to me, doesn't make sense. They seem to be luring in the smaller clubs to do their dirty work for them ie bring down the CB.

Where will this stop? Will the junior clubs end up going on strike? Have the players a master plan or have they stumbled their way to this point.

Also, FM is pillored at this stage. His crimes seem to be that he voted his own way at Congress a few years back and then reappointed Ger McCarthy. Sean Og said himself that as a secretary he is top class but continues to see his abuses his power.

Can anyone provide a list of these "crimes"? Seriously, list half a dozen specific incidents?

Has he been using Cork stationery for his own use, letting his mates in for free or awarding his own club a bye to the county final every year? Lets hear it.

Reillers you can answer me that, please. Genuinely want to know how bad it has been.

First of all you are out of your mind if you think the players were looking for the fight. They hate doing this. Joe Deane said that waiting for the arbitration deal to come up on the computer with Donal Og was more stressful then waiting for his test results.
And you think of a minute they enjoy this, that they would seek this out. That they enjoyed being slammed in the press and questioned about their loyalty and commitment. They weren't looking for this, they have been trying to avoid this and it has gotten worse every time.
OM really has come out with some clueless posts over the few hundred pages but this takes the prize really.
I don't know why the Junior Clubs have been dragged into this.  Lowering smaller clubs to do their dirty work. That is, and I've had to put up with OM for hundreds of pages, one of tne most ridiculous posts here because it shows you have no knowledge at all, not even a little bit of what's going on in Cork, never mind Cork GAA, never mind the Junior Clubs.
Lane asked will the Junior Clubs get a vote on Prime Time last night, she didn't ask all the questions but she did rip the man apart.
The Junior Clubs were some of the most vocal at the meeting, they despise the board. The players invited every single club there. They had no idea what the reaction would be. The players barely said two words before clubs started to vent about the CB.
What you are saying is a massive insult to the Junior Clubs, clubs in general in Cork. No respect at all.
And what about Nemo, their chairmen spoke backing the players, one of the biggest clubs in Cork..oh there most be some other reason and excuse for that right?

QuoteHis crimes seem to be that he voted his own way at Congress a few years back and then reappointed Ger McCarthy.
Case an point. You have clearly come on here with no knowledge at all of the situation, just to bitch about the players.
The players have refused to play 3 times because of him, but he's done nothing wrong.

But oh no, never mind all that, all he's done is reappoint McCarthy. The man's a saint.

And you want me to list for God only knows how long what he's done when clearly you don't know anything about the situation and from the post just there aren't willing to except anything either, instead you insult thousands of people from hundreds of clubs and you want me to answer what FM has done. What's the point when it's clear from that post that you wont listen.

You didn't really answer that reillers. Just a half dozen examples are all the man/woman - no offence either way intended - is looking.

I will answer it if he gives me a reason to but I don't take lightly to someone thinking that our clubs can just be moved like that. It's insulting.

Is the Antrim manager, who was critical of the 2008 panel having a lack of principles, friendly with Sean og?
Oh sweet lord,
First of all I was never asked these seconds.
I all ready said I was not a player.
Now apparently I'm a GPA member, of course, only that could come from you, a GPA member from where exactly, Dublin? Cop yourself on ffs. No, no I'm not a bloody GPA memeber.
I have absolutely no idea if Sean Og is friendly with the Antrim manager.

I mean really, cop yourself on. What the hell was that about.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:40:33 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 26, 2009, 12:10:31 AM

Why?

Well apparently there was a rota taken at the meeting so why aren't we all allowed to know who was there? And there must have been minutes as well so let us all get an insight into what went on instead of all this hearsay.
Who said ye weren't allowed. I'm pretty sure you could find our pretty easily who was there.
And I don't see you grabbing for the CB minutes either.
You're getting ridiculous at this stage.

sligeach

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 01:57:36 PM
You're confusing yourself. are you now saying noone made a response to your satisfaction? you didn't like the response?
what is it that noone explained to you?

No. I appreciate your response for its honesty but noone has made an argument for defending their view that it isn't a veto, you said it was so therefore we have no argument on this subject.

So you are not saying the players are wrong to take a stance - thats progress at least. you are saying that you disagree with their methods?

Yes. And I'd even go one step further and say I don't disagree with their methods at this moment in time, regarding the way they are gathering support from the clubs. I in fact agree that Ger had his time and someone else should have been given the reigns.

I don't agree that;

- Ger is a particularly bad manager, I believe hes not the best man for the job in Cork at this stage yes, but calling him a bad manager etc is just wrong and making the players and their supporters look bad.
- The players should be 'on strike' or 'not playing' whatever way you wish to phrase it. It they truely loved Cork hurling and truely wanted to make things better for Cork hurling people they would still be playing but fighting tooth and nail for the clubs support to oust Ger. I would have no problem in the world with that. In fact I would support them in it and I believe its healthy for the GAA to have such movements.

In my opinion, the way the players are acting are remoniscent of schoolboy antics. Standing by your principles is all well and good but stand by them, through thick and thin and don't make excuses for them.

QuoteI take you missed the "cloyne motion" which is now being resubmitted?
The players can win this and they will. Brennan and cooney are already drawing up draught procedures for county boards to ensure they do things properly and avoid constituant parts of a county membership having to take severe action to ensure proper procedure.

No I didn't. Its just 5 months too late and it came about the wrong way and if the players win this (which in itself I don't mind) and get some kind of player veto on future managerial appointments then it will be a dark day for the GAA as a whole.

QuoteThe Mulvey agreement was thrown out the window by the county executive so all avenues were open.
who are lying dishonest cheats and why?

The CCB agreed to have two players representatives on the selection committee, the other members have a majority and elected Ger. Nothing in the Mulvey agreement was broken.

You can argue the spirit of the agreement was broken but thats intangible. It all depends on a persons opinion.

And yes I would agree the CB made the wrong choice and even agree they may have done it for simple revenge but Donal Og is just as guilty as they are.  

QuoteI must not have been clear in my last post... i support democratic processes but there is no democratic process in cork. well there hasn't been but there's about to be one.

Again, it all depends. To some people Zimbabwe is a democratic country when in fact its a dictatorship. North Korea has a parliment with elected politicians but its no more democratic then Nazi Germany was. \
Irelands a democracy on paper with a handful of gangsters in charge. etc

The CCB is democratic and the clubs if they had got off their asses could have changed things, which is what the players are doing right now so in actual fact Cork GAA is and was democratic, its just the voters weren't arsed practicing it.

You can't say they were democratic just because people were too lazy to vote for what they wanted.

Quotei don't know why i have to keep repeating things for you, but one last time... i have no problem with the this cork team having a veto on this manager.

And what about a veto in the future on future managers ?

dowling

Quote from: passedit on February 26, 2009, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:19:55 AM

Celt

edit for freudian slip

Hilarious, I see you've come down off your high horse regarding personal insults.

Anyway, since you joined this board, how many topics have you contributed to?

I don't need to ask about your agenda.

Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:25:01 AM

Apologies there pAssedit, genuine typo error.
Anyway how many topics do I have to contribute to not to have an agenda?

Quote from: Reillers on February 26, 2009, 12:41:13 AM
Quote from: dowling on February 26, 2009, 12:32:08 AM

Oh sweet lord,
First of all I was never asked these seconds.
I all ready said I was not a player.
Now apparently I'm a GPA member, of course, only that could come from you, a GPA member from where exactly, Dublin? Cop yourself on ffs. No, no I'm not a bloody GPA memeber.
I have absolutely no idea if Sean Og is friendly with the Antrim manager.

I mean really, cop yourself on. What the hell was that about.

That was about you saying you answered everything but you hadn't got round to those two, possibly among others. Just asking.
Didn't accuse you of being a player or member of the GPA or any other organisation or dissedent group. Just asked. Is it a crime now to ask?
I also just thought with you being so close to the panel's thinking and all that you would know if there was a connection with the Antrim manager and sean og. If there was, as I was told there is, would it have any bearing?
But don't start that 'oh sweet lord stuff' and 'FFS'.
I'm only asking.