McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The clubs don't want to shaft Gerald - all the flak has been about the CB - The players have gone further than they should have as well. They have deliberately allowed the situation to deteriorate almost out of control and have created such bitter division that it will take maybe a generation to heal.

Sean Og and co. can go to the grave happy that they beat the CB and forced them into changing the manager and to hell with everything else and everybody else. Just so long as the lads get back hurling and get Gerald out.

Save Cork hurling ???? My arse !!!

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 25, 2009, 09:51:19 PM
reillers i have to stop you there
gerald has more support from the clubs than you think
i know gerald personally and i can tell you he gets calls from club members from all clubs across the county
so you dont really know how much support he has with the clubs
it has to be split evenly in clubs why would the clubs say it will split them

Fair enough.
But I'm pretty sure he'd say that anyway.
But this has gotten to the point where it's so much bigger then Gerald.
I've never been so disgusted with the CB then I was last night.

The clubs chairmen and co. a good 400 plus turned up at the meeting with the views of their clubs and gave a pretty much majority backing for the players. That along with the 12000 marchers in the street.
It's clear now where the opinion of the grassroots lie. This is bigger then him now, and while you'd praise him for hanging in earlier on, he's now lost the grassroots, the Cork public.
And while some mightn't agree with sacking him, it's more about wanting that power back, which we both no the clubs don't have, it's sad for Gerald, it is, but he represents the CB when it comes to this power strugle with the CB and the CLUBS, not the players, the clubs.

Taking the players out of it and your stance on Gerald. What did you think of their actions. Because I thought it was nothing short of a disgrace. It was basically the clubs giving two fingers to the clubs, to the grassroots, saying we hear ye, but we don't care, we have all the power. It was disgusting. Their escape clause being FM's handwritten rule book.
Never mind my stance on the players, as clubman first and foremost, that was a slap in the face.

And did ya read the Echo on what The O Dononvan Rossa delegate was saying.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 09:57:12 PM
The clubs don't want to shaft Gerald - all the flak has been about the CB - The players have gone further than they should have as well. They have deliberately allowed the situation to deteriorate almost out of control and have created such bitter division that it will take maybe a generation to heal.

Sean Og and co. can go to the grave happy that they beat the CB and forced them into changing the manager and to hell with everything else and everybody else. Just so long as the lads get back hurling and get Gerald out.

Save Cork hurling ???? My arse !!!
YES THEY DO!!
It is the first thing they will look for and it'll be the marker. It's what they are going for. This is how they are going to go about getting power back, by first getting rid of Gerald.
The players will be remembered forever as true greats off the pitch and on, more so then now, if they manage to get rid of FM.
Deliberatley, ya, all of this from the players was deliberate.
Everything and everybody else wants an overhaul in the CB, Gerald unfortunatley is and will continue to be a pawn in all of this. He is the front line of the CB and he is the first target for the clubs, the door into the Cb, either way surely it is only a matter of time.
And if you sersiously think that this is just about Gerald and nothing else you don't know Cork GAA. I mean you really, really don't.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 09:48:50 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 09:36:59 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 09:16:53 PM
ger wasn't the manager in 2002 when this all started, still think they are going after the wrong man just because its the easier option

Getting rid of ger isnt going to solve your problems, would have thought that was pretty clear at this stage

It wasn't the man it was the process in which he was reappointed. It did end up being a war of words at times, but it was always about how it was done.

Getting rid of Ger would get rid of a bad manager. That's what it will have achieve.

And my opinion of Gerald really has dropped. He no longer has the backing of the players, the fans and the clubs. He's staying because of a technicality. No one wants him except the CB, who only want him as a pawn to get rid of the players.

Ger was never your favourite - look back at the history of your posts - The 2008 panel who gave starry eyes to at least one poster here haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either.
And OM, Gerald is and always will be a Cork legend. I may not have agreed with his stance in this, but he will be a legend always to me. Very little Cork players gave more as a player then he did, and very little Cork players were as good as he was. So stop making assumptions that you know nothing about. 

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 09:48:50 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 09:36:59 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 09:16:53 PM
ger wasn't the manager in 2002 when this all started, still think they are going after the wrong man just because its the easier option

Getting rid of ger isnt going to solve your problems, would have thought that was pretty clear at this stage

It wasn't the man it was the process in which he was reappointed. It did end up being a war of words at times, but it was always about how it was done.

Getting rid of Ger would get rid of a bad manager. That's what it will have achieve.

And my opinion of Gerald really has dropped. He no longer has the backing of the players, the fans and the clubs. He's staying because of a technicality. No one wants him except the CB, who only want him as a pawn to get rid of the players.

Ger was never your favourite - look back at the history of your posts - The 2008 panel who gave starry eyes to at least one poster here haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either.
And OM, Gerald is and always will be a Cork legend. I may not have agreed with his stance in this, but he will be a legend always to me. Very little Cork players gave more as a player then he did, and very little Cork players were as good as he was. So stop making assumptions that you know nothing about. 
[/b]

Liar one minute - legend the next - pure class.
And if you're stuck just say you haven't a clue instead of coming out with your standard line that you come out with when you're beat.

realrebel

reillers
first of all i never said gerald told me he gets calls ive seen his message book at his job with peoples names and clubs on it
as for the meeting a hell of a lot of chairmen were silent that night they may have clapped but did they stand up and say they supported them
no they didnt so we dont know what wat they are thinking

anglocelt39

Reillers, just for the crack I had a countback on your activity on gaaboard.com today alone. 25 Posts today as of a few minutes ago, one topic and one world view, where exactly are you coming from in all this. Declare your interest because your lack of objectivity and lack of a life is palpable at this stage.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

orangeman

What is clear is that everybody in an ideal world would like to see Cork's best on the pitch and that would include most of the 2008 panel - what is less clear is how this is going to acheived, IF it is going to be achieved.

The 2008 panel don't want compromise. They want total capitulation, annihilation. Sack cloth and ashes. But even Paisley big Ian had to settle for less.

Everybody else in Cork GAA and in the GAA world in general, and that includes the grassroots in Cork, all want compromise so that the 2008 panel can get back out onto the field.

And that's a fact and you know it. The people in the clubs are decent GAA men and women who know that sacking Gerald won't bring the necessary peace and is not the answer.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 25, 2009, 10:16:28 PM
reillers
first of all i never said gerald told me he gets calls ive seen his message book at his job with peoples names and clubs on it
as for the meeting a hell of a lot of chairmen were silent that night they may have clapped but did they stand up and say they supported them
no they didnt so we dont know what wat they are thinking

Talking to a hell lot of people from that room and they all said the same thing, that it was in large a majority backing for the players. And if a vote was taken now there's no doubt that McCarthy would be gone.
It's not about Gerald anymore, but the clubs in general. People I know who wouldn't have backed the players against Gerald but back them now.
The clubs are baying for blood at the minute and Gerald unfortunately is being used as a pawn. The Cb are using him as a batering ram and for the clubs he's the door that has to be broken down to get over haul the board.

realrebel

talking to people in the room doesnt mean their club support them and some chairmen even said that

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 25, 2009, 10:56:43 PM
talking to people in the room doesnt mean their club support them and some chairmen even said that
But they all went with their clubs views, that was the point of this meeting, to get the views across. And I thought, the players thought that they would be in for it at the meeing.

"They prepared for hostility but instead they were met with a disarming standing ovation."

tyronefan

Im fairly sure the players knew the reception they were going to get or else they wouldnt have called the meeting.

the meeting took a while to organize and Im sure that time was put to good use with the players making phone calls to supporters at different clubs in order to insure a good turn out for the cameras.

I dont blame the players for this but dont think we are all fools and believe all we see on tv. Some of these guys are very comfortable on tv having worked with different ad agency's and know exactly how to stage an event.

whiskeysteve

Surely this is one of the busiest threads ever on the GAAboard. I would agree with one poster that it is fascinating how many posts Reillers has made on the topic, however I think no can deny his passion for Cork hurling at this stage.

As someone who is from a place as pretty much as far away from Cork as anywhere in Ireland I can't give a solid opinion on the matter, but I would be inclined to agree with the Nemo Rangers chairman who has said that the bottom line for any progression is that McCarthy must leave his post. This IS NOT a glowing endorsement of the players position but rather an observance of a blockage to progression. I am sure that all of Cork will hold him in high regard for his past acheivements no matter his stance now or in the future. Having observed the stand off through the eyes of the media (not necessarily reliable, I know!) it does appear as if the groundswell of public opinion is moving behind the players in recent weeks. Ultimately I would respect the opinion of the grassroots in a county above all other groups. Frank Murphy too, surely now must step aside. Whilst acknowledging that Cork posters have regarded him as unsackable, surely a vote of no confidence should be motioned even if he is unanswerable to it, it has to be attempted despite his service to the county. The fact that he has held a position where he has called the shots in match situations from a postion of secretary is reason enough. That heads must roll is distasteful but absolutely necessary

Lastly, one of the worst things about this thread is the amount of personal battles between some posters, or should I say war at this stage!. And whilst all are liable to occasional sensationalism and poor choice of words (after 270 pages arguing an emotive topic, who isn't) I would say that the likes of Orangeman, as someone who comments very often on this thread, may as well try to spend more time arguing the the issues at hand without using them in an attempt to win a personal debate fixated on another poster. You can question Reillers opinions but at least he has been raising issues from ground zero. Set out your own stall instead of trying to wreck others!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

passedit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 25, 2009, 10:21:17 PM
Reillers, just for the crack I had a countback on your activity on gaaboard.com today alone. 25 Posts today as of a few minutes ago, one topic and one world view, where exactly are you coming from in all this. Declare your interest because your lack of objectivity and lack of a life is palpable at this stage.

Celt

Just for the craic like, do the same for Dowling's posts and ask yourself the same question.

ps do not, for the sake of your sanity, do the same for Orangeman's posts.

edit for freudian slip
Don't Panic

Reillers

Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 11:21:14 PM
Im fairly sure the players knew the reception they were going to get or else they wouldnt have called the meeting.

the meeting took a while to organize and Im sure that time was put to good use with the players making phone calls to supporters at different clubs in order to insure a good turn out for the cameras.

I dont blame the players for this but dont think we are all fools and believe all we see on tv. Some of these guys are very comfortable on tv having worked with different ad agency's and know exactly how to stage an event.

So they're pshyic now? They've left themselves open to any questions and any confrontations from both the media at the press conference and the clubs at the meeting, there was no way in hell they had any idea what 400 plus people were thinking. They said at the press conference that they would have this meeting and that was a good while ago when opinion wasn't as behind the players as it is now, there was no way they could have none for sure.
For the cameras, ya you're right all of this was for the bloody cameras because God forbid the players actually want the best for Cork GAA and try their best to resolve it.

Was the meetings till 3 in the morning for the cameras too?
I've seen about 2 seconds of cameras inside the room. That's it and a handful of pictures. These lads have no PR machine, and they've done and come across very badly in the press and lost the press battle up till recently.
They are not comfortable at all in front of the camera if it's not on the pitch. They hate it. Donal Og is probably the best speaker in front of the cameras but he tends to loose his cool. Everyone else, well just watch their press conference and they weren't comfortable.
When would players have worked with ad agencys, what the hell has that got to do with any of this?
Why do ye after all of this still continue to question the motives of the players when they have given ye no reason to do so.

Twice they've left people question them openly., Once in front of the press where they could have been asked everything and anything, and up till then they were loosing the PR battle badly. They do not do well with the press and I think these past few months proves that and they then, at the time of the press meeting said they'd meet the clubs at a certain date. When, like I said they were loosing the Pr battle.

You are making assumptions that are factless based on your opinion and you're out of line if you ask me.