McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 06:49:57 PM
Irish News 25.2.09

Farrell thinks Rebels will be back in action

GPA Chief Dessie Farrell has predicted that the striking hurlers of Cork will be back on the field this season but that there would be more twists and turns in the saga. Farrell however, suggested the outcome would not be a compromise but one of winners and losers.
"I'd imagine it's a situation where one side will be victors. We've been very supportive of the stance taken by the panel
and we're anxious to see it resolved."

Did I miss your comments on this lads ?????? Or did you ignore it ?

I don't see how this is relevent to anything.

antway, as a novelty you give us your thoughts on it before anyone else does

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 07:11:53 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 25, 2009, 07:03:40 PM
Doesn't matter how long ago it was reillers. Your analysis was wrong and has been proven to be wrong when others could see the potential mess ahead.
As I've said I never feel the need to label posts rubbish but going by Zulu's criteria that's what those posts were.
And it's funny how I'm encouraged to trawl the thread for certain posts but get told a lot has changed when I bring up others. More double standards and goalpost moving.
Sure just let me know what I can bring up and that'll save any disagreement.

What are you on about.
You were told to look for whatever it was so you go back to the start of the thread from months ago, things have changed and opinions have changed. I'm not apologising for that.

You don't have to apologise and neither do you have to have been right from the outset.
That's the way you saw it at the time but you were wrong in your analysis, that's all. I'm neither criticising nor condemning.
Surely though we can all express our opinions without judgemental and insulting lanuage.
What's that saying; I mightn't agree with what you have to say but I'll defend your right to say it.

The GAA

Bur saying that noone is entitled to put the badge of rubbish on a particular statement from you, me, dougal or anyone else that is patently rubbish is a nonsense

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 07:41:00 PM

Bur saying that noone is entitled to put the badge of rubbish on a particular statement from you, me, dougal or anyone else that is patently rubbish is a nonsense

So were reillers posts that I trawled rubbish as his take has been proven wrong?

tyronefan

From what I understand Frank Murphy holds an unhealthy amount of power and from one man who knows him, can be very determent to get his own way at all costs but as long as he is there can there really be harmony in Cork between CCB and the players

Reillers

Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 08:19:03 PM
From what I understand Frank Murphy holds an unhealthy amount of power and from one man who knows him, can be very determent to get his own way at all costs but as long as he is there can there really be harmony in Cork between CCB and the players
Exactly that, but only with the players but with the clubs. The CCB do not represent the thoughts of the clubs, of the grassroots. Which is what it's supposed to be all about. And that in itself is a disgrace.
JOS said that we "are the power".

He also said
"In recent times we have been accused of hiding behind the rules here in county Cork. Now that is a very glib and very nasty statement to make. We do not hide behind rules. But we do abide by rules. That is what rules are there for."

Which is ironic because that's what they're doing.
It's obvious what the grassroots, THE most important thing in GAA are thinking and who they are backing.
But despite the 12000 on the street and the 400 plus backing the players. None of that is even looked at or considered because they are breaking some technicallity.
Hiding is what they are doing.
And Donal Og said and I agree.."If the situation arises where the clubs are saying one thing and the board (another) ... that's more of a problem really with the structures in Cork. If that situation was to arise it would obviously be a damning indictment of the whole organisation."

tyronefan

while it will be extremely difficult to remove FM from the CCB it is not impossible but it will not be possible to do it the way the players are going about it.
The CCB cannot now allow the players to win this so there is now no chance of dealing with the problem of FM .  If they had of followed the procedures set  out by the GAA and the  players approach the clubs they possible would have had more success and certainly would be winning the PR battle.

Reillers

According to a poster on RebelGAA, Bloodnguts, it said on the echo that..The O Dononvan Rossa delegate stated that the ccb are ringing up lads already to get them to tog out with a football development squad for when the footballers go out, come on weve got to do something, they dont give a dam its a disgrace,they just cant be let get away with it!

I've the paper here somewhere I think.

Reillers

Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 09:04:31 PM
while it will be extremely difficult to remove FM from the CCB it is not impossible but it will not be possible to do it the way the players are going about it.
The CCB cannot now allow the players to win this so there is now no chance of dealing with the problem of FM .  If they had of followed the procedures set  out by the GAA and the  players approach the clubs they possible would have had more success and certainly would be winning the PR battle.
No, for Cork GAA survival the players need to win this. And all of this has been started by the players, they have organised it all, they have got the ball moving, the first thing the clubs will do if they get the chance is remove Gerald.

Reillers

Closing in on end game

By COLM KEYS

Tuesday February 24 2009

They prepared for hostility but instead they were met with a disarming standing ovation as 28 of the striking Cork hurlers, joined for the occasion by two footballers with their own finger on the red button, entered a function room in the Maryborough Hotel on Sunday night to face a potentially tough inquisition.

But from the moment the majority of the club delegates rose to their feet to applaud the players, the defensive shields -- erected in a series of 'dry runs' over the weekend -- could be decommissioned.

This was a hugely significant turning point for the striking hurlers who are shaking the very foundations of the GAA with their quest for change; more significant than even the sight of some 10,000 people taking to the streets of Cork city centre two weeks earlier to show their support.

bona fide

In some quarters there may be some cherry-picking of the make up of the audience gathered before the players on Sunday night. Were they all club chairmen and bona fide club representatives? Were there more than two from certain clubs?

Does a standing ovation mean that the clubs they left behind to travel that night are as supportive? But, given the voices that spoke from the floor, no one can escape the reality that it now looks as if the majority of clubs, a disparate entity it seems from the delegates who represent them in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, are behind the 2008 hurlers.

Not every club threw out the red carpet. A delegate from Sarsfields, the club which provides the spine of the current team and one of the selectors, suggested younger players should seek the counsel of their parents to know if their stance was the right one. His voice was drowned in a chorus of disapproval behind him for such a suggestion.

How that support can be harnessed in real terms, however, remains the great conundrum. Cork's unique GAA structures doesn't lend itself easily to the voice of the majority.

A roll call at the end of a two-and-a-half hour meeting revealed that 144 clubs had met the request of the players to show up. In some cases the same delegate represented twin football and hurling clubs. The structures of Cork GAA is unique in that the vast majority of clubs are represented by a small number of delegates at County Board level.

There are 260 affiliated clubs -- hurling and football -- in the county who all get individual representation at convention just once a year. Otherwise some 160 junior clubs are represented monthly at Board meetings by 16 delegates (one hurling, one football) from eight divisions -- Avondhu, Beara, Carbery, Carrigdhoun, Duhallow, Imokilly, Muskerry and Seandun spreading across every part of such a vast county.

By contrast, every senior and intermediate hurling and football club (18 senior and 32 intermediate in both codes) have individual voting rights at Cork County Board meetings. And that's where the real power of the Board lies.

Efforts to hold a special convention are quite likely to fail in a haze of rule book mechanics. A majority from the floor at a Board meeting could call a special convention, but then it is not the business of a convention to decide on team managements. That is the decision of a Board.

Cork County Board chairman Jerry O'Sullivan admitted a special convention could be called but pointed out this anomaly that a convention could not decide on the appointment or removal of a team manager.

O'Sullivan also re-iterated the stance that no more votes on Gerald McCarthy would be entertained.

"I can't say anything about the meeting on Sunday night. I only heard second hand what went on. But the situation remains that no more votes will be taken on Gerald's position. As regards calls for a special convention, it's unprecedented for that to happen and, anyway, conventions don't make decisions on team managements."

The players clearly feel emboldened by the turn out on Sunday night, allied to the march on the streets and, in many respects, the document that went before them on Thursday night last, that sought and got clearance for a major overhaul in how the Board did its business at many levels.

In accepting the terms of the document the Board may have been accepting its slice of the 'pain'. But the fact that the two Croke Park officials, among them one of their own, had to put this before them stood as an indictment of their ways. It now seems there is a growing will in Cork for change but the way to effect it is not yet clear.

"If the situation arises where the clubs are saying one thing and the board (another) ... that's more of a problem really with the structures in Cork. If that situation was to arise it would obviously be a damning indictment of the whole organisation," reckoned Donal Og Cusack after Sunday night's meeting. "The Croke Park example (when a vote was averted on the opening of the stadium) was raised by some people in the room.

"From our point of view we have been in survival mode since the fifth meeting. There was not a wide range of options open to us and we were very anxious that it would be the clubs that would have their say rather than a number of individuals, whether our careers were over or not," he added.

They'll know soon enough. The end game is in sight. But what voices will be heard?

- COLM KEYS

tyronefan

ger wasn't the manager in 2002 when this all started, still think they are going after the wrong man just because its the easier option

Getting rid of ger isnt going to solve your problems, would have thought that was pretty clear at this stage

Reillers

Quote from: tyronefan on February 25, 2009, 09:16:53 PM
ger wasn't the manager in 2002 when this all started, still think they are going after the wrong man just because its the easier option

Getting rid of ger isnt going to solve your problems, would have thought that was pretty clear at this stage

It wasn't the man it was the process in which he was reappointed. It did end up being a war of words at times, but it was always about how it was done.

Getting rid of Ger would get rid of a bad manager. That's what it will have achieve.

And my opinion of Gerald really has dropped. He no longer has the backing of the players, the fans and the clubs. He's staying because of a technicality. No one wants him except the CB, who only want him as a pawn to get rid of the players.

tyronefan

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 09:36:59 PM

It wasn't the man it was the process in which he was reappointed. It did end up being a war of words at times, but it was always about how it was done.

Getting rid of Ger would get rid of a bad manager. That's what it will have achieve.

And my opinion of Gerald really has dropped. He no longer has the backing of the players, the fans and the clubs. He's staying because of a technicality. No one wants him except the CB, who only want him as a pawn to get rid of the players.

thats not true  didnt 85 delegates vote for him at the last meeting and the time before

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 09:36:59 PM

Ger was never your favourite - look back at the history of your posts - The 2008 panel who gave starry eyes to at least one poster here haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either.

realrebel

reillers i have to stop you there
gerald has more support from the clubs than you think
i know gerald personally and i can tell you he gets calls from club members from all clubs across the county
so you dont really know how much support he has with the clubs
it has to be split evenly in clubs why would the clubs say it will split them