McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The power to do anything in any county relating to GAA matters rests with the county board, its executive, committees and subcommittees.

Cork county board holds the same power as the rest - no more, no less.

There's no special appendix for Cork.

But as I've said before all this thing about the CB being bad boys and FM have a hypnotic effect on the delegates and the executive having a pathological hatred towars the players is all a smokescreen.

Bottom line is that the 2008 panel want to pick / veto the manager. Havent they already one sorted for when Ger goes ? Backroom team and all.

It's an awful pity the young lads shouted stop to the ringleaders and went their separate ways - they've been too easily influenced by the shop stewards here.

cornafean

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2009, 05:42:08 PM
Taken from rebelgaa..posted originally by Lebump

This is the same County board who voted against the introduction of Sponsorship.

Earlier this year, I happened to find at home an old Hogan Stand magazine from 1990, in which the great Eugene McGee had a column. I was amazed to learn that at the time, he too was opposed to sponsors' names appearing on jerseys (an innovation that had begun earlier that season). He said that "the GAA will rue the day" it allowed sponsors names on jerseys, or words to that effect. Just goes to show that even the best and wisest of GAA commentators get it wrong from time to time.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 05:44:42 PM
It's not too long ago since Cork players were carrying Frank Murphy shoulder high after getting players off on appeals.

Short memories !!

Frank is some man for one man !

Oh wait when he did his job.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 05:50:38 PM
The power to do anything in any county relating to GAA matters rests with the county board, its executive, committees and subcommittees.

Cork county board holds the same power as the rest - no more, no less.

There's no special appendix for Cork.

But as I've said before all this thing about the CB being bad boys and FM have a hypnotic effect on the delegates and the executive having a pathological hatred towars the players is all a smokescreen.

Bottom line is that the 2008 panel want to pick / veto the manager. Havent they already one sorted for when Ger goes ? Backroom team and all.

It's an awful pity the young lads shouted stop to the ringleaders and went their separate ways - they've been too easily influenced by the shop stewards here.
It's like we make a point, we make progress that you agree on, and then we go back to the very start all over again. When all these points have been made over and over and over again.
I mean it's unbelievable and clear wumming by you.

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 05:42:59 PM
[Well clearly I have seeing as the march was only on a few weeks ago, and I do not always mention it, only when I think it's relevant.  
Every post mentions Primetime, that was on late last night. I've brought it up when I saw relevant.
You came on here with no knowledge of the situation at all, you like I said insulted the clubs, and bashed the players. Now will you listen to what I say or just twist them and make comments like you have. Because I'm not wasting my time if it is, which to be honest from your post, it's what you seem most likely to do.

You said the Junior clubs, you think that they and "little clubs"  luring in the smaller clubs to do their dirty work for them ie bring down the CB.

You think that little of the clubs that you think they can be lured. The CB has done enough on it's own to those "little" clubs on it's own, to every club, they need no provoking by the players. They have been burned and mistreated by the CB too many times.
This is long passed the players. It has gotten to the point where the CB has clearly shown what they think of the clubs, on the back of the Echo today it had County Board has all the power (or something to that wording.) And it's true, they do. And it doesn't matter a dalm what the rest of us think because they have a stupide technicality to fall back on. The only part of the job that Murphy does extremley well, the reason why everyone in the GAA turns to him for advise on rules. He wrote the rule book.
They did continue at a constant level, and a lot of which were at club level, not just IC. There are so many problems at clubs and this is distracting them from dealing with the real problems.

Firstly, I never used the term "little" regarding clubs. You have used it several times in that reply in " " infering that you where quoting me. Please correct it, I never used the term little to describe any club. I refered to junior clubs as they made up the majority of the clubmen at the meeting last sunday night. It is clear that they have had to use this platform as they are not happy with their voice at CB level, as they don't have a vote and are only represented by the divisional delagate. That is why I refered to the smaller, junior clubs. I would have the upmost respect for all clubs, they are the cornerstone of the GAA. I myself am a clubman first, clubman second and third. The CB to me, are way down the line  and the dealings I've had with my own haven't been pleasant.

Secondly, I couldn't make out half of what you where trying to say. Read it back yourself and see. Some of it doesn't make sense.

Thirdly, and you may not agree but why haven't the clubs done anything about this before? Seriously. I know FM is a monster but if things are that bad, could it get any worse if they stood up to him? Do the regional divisions hold meetings to discuss issues as they arise? Have they not looked at some form of action themselves in the past if things are so bad.

Zulu

Quote from: cornafean on February 25, 2009, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2009, 05:42:08 PM
Taken from rebelgaa..posted originally by Lebump

This is the same County board who voted against the introduction of Sponsorship.

Earlier this year, I happened to find at home an old Hogan Stand magazine from 1990, in which the great Eugene McGee had a column. I was amazed to learn that at the time, he too was opposed to sponsors' names appearing on jerseys (an innovation that had begun earlier that season). He said that "the GAA will rue the day" it allowed sponsors names on jerseys, or words to that effect. Just goes to show that even the best and wisest of GAA commentators get it wrong from time to time.

Are you saying Frank is the best of men? Nobody gets it right all the time but Frank has overseen a lot of poor decisions and they are continuing up to this very day.

QuoteBut as I've said before all this thing about the CB being bad boys and FM have a hypnotic effect on the delegates and the executive having a pathological hatred towars the players is all a smokescreen.

Maybe you have but it doesn't make it any truer now than it was when you first said it, the fact that you are still clinging to this even after delegates were shown to vote with Frank and against their mandate says something about you.

QuoteBottom line is that the 2008 panel want to pick / veto the manager. Havent they already one sorted for when Ger goes ? Backroom team and all.

It's anything but the bottom line, the players have said they don't want to pick the manager, they just can't work with Gerald and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

theskull1

Said it many pages ago assuming Reillers, Zulu, GAA are correct about the stranglehold FM has in Cork.

Frank Murphy is not the problem. It the gutless masses of GAA people in Cork who have sat back and let him do take that power (if indeed it is the case).

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

30 years .....it doesn't say much for the strength of character in cork GAA club people if they let one man rule/ruin the roost (against the wishes of the masses) without them doing something about it before now. In some ways Zulu are youse not ashamed that it has taken the militancy of youngsters to try and oust him. What have the men been doing all these years (that sounds condensending I know but I mean it as a serious point)?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Zulu I don't expect anyone to do anything and I'm not too sure where you're coming from here. But i didn't think it would have been a big deal to re-iterate something. In spite of what you may think of my posts I'm not at this sort of thing all the time. But I have to say it's an easy cop out to say concern has been expressed on other pages, I don't have time to trawl, but neither do I recall seeing any concern expressed.

As for saying your description of rubbish isn't insulting language, of course it is. This board is by and large an exchange of opinions based on how we see and feel about this situ. I don't agree with your analysis and therefore think your opinions are wrong but I refuse to say they're rubbish, your entitled to your opinion. Indeed of all the pro posters you're probably the most practically engaging. And anyway what does it achieve in the overall debate to insult?
As I've said before however if you feel you need to go that way so be it.

Reillers

Quote from: bingobus on February 25, 2009, 05:58:34 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 05:42:59 PM
[Well clearly I have seeing as the march was only on a few weeks ago, and I do not always mention it, only when I think it's relevant.  
Every post mentions Primetime, that was on late last night. I've brought it up when I saw relevant.
You came on here with no knowledge of the situation at all, you like I said insulted the clubs, and bashed the players. Now will you listen to what I say or just twist them and make comments like you have. Because I'm not wasting my time if it is, which to be honest from your post, it's what you seem most likely to do.

You said the Junior clubs, you think that they and "little clubs"  luring in the smaller clubs to do their dirty work for them ie bring down the CB.

You think that little of the clubs that you think they can be lured. The CB has done enough on it's own to those "little" clubs on it's own, to every club, they need no provoking by the players. They have been burned and mistreated by the CB too many times.
This is long passed the players. It has gotten to the point where the CB has clearly shown what they think of the clubs, on the back of the Echo today it had County Board has all the power (or something to that wording.) And it's true, they do. And it doesn't matter a dalm what the rest of us think because they have a stupide technicality to fall back on. The only part of the job that Murphy does extremley well, the reason why everyone in the GAA turns to him for advise on rules. He wrote the rule book.
They did continue at a constant level, and a lot of which were at club level, not just IC. There are so many problems at clubs and this is distracting them from dealing with the real problems.

Firstly, I never used the term "little" regarding clubs. You have used it several times in that reply in " " infering that you where quoting me. Please correct it, I never used the term little to describe any club. I refered to junior clubs as they made up the majority of the clubmen at the meeting last sunday night. It is clear that they have had to use this platform as they are not happy with their voice at CB level, as they don't have a vote and are only represented by the divisional delagate. That is why I refered to the smaller, junior clubs. I would have the upmost respect for all clubs, they are the cornerstone of the GAA. I myself am a clubman first, clubman second and third. The CB to me, are way down the line  and the dealings I've had with my own haven't been pleasant.

Secondly, I couldn't make out half of what you where trying to say. Read it back yourself and see. Some of it doesn't make sense.

Thirdly, and you may not agree but why haven't the clubs done anything about this before? Seriously. I know FM is a monster but if things are that bad, could it get any worse if they stood up to him? Do the regional divisions hold meetings to discuss issues as they arise? Have they not looked at some form of action themselves in the past if things are so bad.

I thought you did say little, apologies and I will fix it.
They didn't make up most of the chairmen. There were over 400 there.
You meant no offense, but you said that you think they are being loared. That's offensive in my view anyway. No ones happy with their voice at CB level because no one has a voice at CB level. They might as well not have a vote because it doesn't matter what the clubs tell most of their delegates, they vote normally whatever way FM wants. No one has a voice, and like it said on the back, the board has all the power.

No one up there on the executive level to Croke Park would want to try and get rid of FM.
He is one of the most powerful GAA men in the country. You've a problem with a rule you turn to him.
He can't be fired. Anyone who would stand up against him have been none to have their names blackened and no one has bothered taking the risk.

Zulu

QuoteFrank Murphy is not the problem. It the gutless masses of GAA people in Cork who have sat back and let him do take that power (if indeed it is the case).

I agree 100% but this is true in many counties, i'm not from Cork by the way Skull but my own clubmen are no less gutless when it comes to this IMO.

QuoteZulu I don't expect anyone to do anything and I'm not too sure where you're coming from here. But i didn't think it would have been a big deal to re-iterate something. In spite of what you may think of my posts I'm not at this sort of thing all the time. But I have to say it's an easy cop out to say concern has been expressed on other pages, I don't have time to trawl, but neither do I recall seeing any concern expressed.

Dowling i've said that I have expressed concern for Cork GAA during all of this but if you want that proof you have to go look for it yourself, either that or take my word for it.

QuoteAs for saying your description of rubbish isn't insulting language, of course it is. This board is by and large an exchange of opinions based on how we see and feel about this situ. I don't agree with your analysis and therefore think your opinions are wrong but I refuse to say they're rubbish, your entitled to your opinion. Indeed of all the pro posters you're probably the most practically engaging. And anyway what does it achieve in the overall debate to insult?
As I've said before however if you feel you need to go that way so be it.

I didn't say your opinion was rubbish but it is wrong/nonsense/rubbish/ a falsehood/a lie to say that only pro-CB posters have expressed a concern for Cork GAA during this debate. I think you are being overly sensitive dowling by taking offence to that, like i say your opinion is your opinion and as long as you logically argue it and can back it up with some relevant points then fine, though I'll probably disagree with them. But when you post something that is clearly wrong then you are posting rubbish, I wouldn't get too worried about though, OM has turned it into an art form  :D

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 05:30:40 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 05:17:06 PM

I don't know why i should be defending myself to you but

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2009, 05:03:38 PM
It's hardly insulting to call someone's post rubbish if that's what it is, sorry now Dowling but you have posted a number of generalizations without a shred of evidence to support them. The latest being pro-player posters don't care about Cork GAA, I certainly have expressed that view and I wouldn't be posting on this topic if I didn't care. However I'm not about to trawl through 250 odd pages for quotes to back it up, if you want it you find it, but I assure you it is there.

goes for me too.

But by all means fire away with the generalities if you think it puts a bit of flesh on your arguments
[/b]

You're operating away there with generalities of your own - a few specifics would be nice.

I really shouldn't because you're probably responding to something posted in the handball section 3 weeks ago, but...

what generalities do you want specifics on?

orangeman

Everybody can be done without including Frank Murphy, Justin Mc Carthy, John Meyler, Pat O'Shea, Joe Kernan, Liam Mulivihill, Sean Kelly, Sean Og, Donal Og, etc etc etc.

Frank is only the secretary for God's sake  - he's not God almighty, not omnispresent and omnipotent.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on February 25, 2009, 06:10:34 PM
Said it many pages ago assuming Reillers, Zulu, GAA are correct about the stranglehold FM has in Cork.

Frank Murphy is not the problem. It the gutless masses of GAA people in Cork who have sat back and let him do take that power (if indeed it is the case).

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

30 years .....it doesn't say much for the strength of character in cork GAA club people if they let one man rule/ruin the roost (against the wishes of the masses) without them doing something about it before now. In some ways Zulu are youse not ashamed that it has taken the militancy of youngsters to try and oust him. What have the men been doing all these years (that sounds condensending I know but I mean it as a serious point)?

Ya we most take some respobsibility but FM cannot be fired. And we didn't make him the way he is, you saying that it isn't FM's fault is a cop out from admiting you were wrong.
Blame us for him. In some way maybe we should have done something though it properlly wouldn't have made any difference. But he cannot be fired or voted out.
The players are the only ones who have stood up to them and yet all the anti players on here have called them selfish for not doing it and then for doing it.
The "men" (and women) haven't done anything,we've said why 100 times.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 06:36:00 PM
Everybody can be done without including Frank Murphy, Justin Mc Carthy, John Meyler, Pat O'Shea, Joe Kernan, Liam Mulivihill, Sean Kelly, Sean Og, Donal Og, etc etc etc.

Frank is only the secretary for God's sake  - he's not God almighty, not omnispresent and omnipotent.

Seriously have you a really short term memory or something or are you just trying to annoy us.
For the millionth time he cannot be fired and also it's not down to the IC players to do it. It's up to the clubs to take down FM and they weren't till now willing to do because of fear of the consequences.