McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2009, 12:28:20 PM
It seems clear that the players want to wrest control of the running of the county team away from the county board and basically put themselves in charge for the forseeable future. Pick their own managers, selectors, etc. If successful you could see a case in a couple of years when some of the older players have retired of them playing pass the parcel with the management of the senior hurling team. Treating it as their own personal fiefdom much like Frank Murphy has with Cork GAA. Maybe they have more in common with Frank than they'd like to admit.

In the absence of any genuine concern for the football or hurling teams within the county executive, someone has to do something.

Had Mc Carthy rolled over after a few days, there wouldn't have been any meeting in Douglas, no meetings of the clubs, no 250 page thread on a board, no allegation and counter allegation, no public condemnation of Gerald, Frank, the players, no Primetime Specials etc etc.

The 2008 panel would simply have gone back and hurled away as normal under their "preferred" manager.

Simple as that. All this talk about FM, CB etc was and is purely a way of putting pressure on the board to get rid of Mc Carthy. The proposed vote of confidence is not against the CB or FM but against Gerald Mc Carthy.

That summation illustrates a fundamental or willful misunderstanding of the situation in cork

Not at all - you know that the players would have been back in a flash. If Gerald had been a good boy and not the stubborn "gentleman" that he is being, now there wouldn't have been all the Primetime specials, player / club meetings etc. The 2008 panel had to go for broke as soon as they realised Gerald was going to be like Thatcher. Gerald was not for turning and became the " Iron Man" much like Thatcher whenever the Provos tried to force her hand. You know what happened there.

You may not want to concede this point and I don't expect you to but I think privately that you would accept it.

The GAA

You are not making a point.

perhaps you wish to revisit some of these old posts in answer to the same assertions:

Quote from: The GAA on February 24, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
As yu will be aware Indiana the initial row was about the process of reappointing McCarthy. that puts the conty board in the dock and cites the results of their actions as unacceptable. obviously McCarthy is and was unacceptable to them but this only became an issuewhen he was appointed anyway. this is not a difficult sum.

Certainly, if the proper procedures had been followed then the engagement with FM would have been avoided for another while but this was coming whether it was this year or next. it was only a matter of time before the footballers, hurlers, clubs or indeed other county board members shouted stop. there will always be a straw that breaks someone's back and it happened to be the hurlers this time round.

Is FM throwing out just enough treats every so often to hold everyone at bay a satisfactory way to run a county?

Quote from: The GAA on February 24, 2009, 01:50:29 PM

Of course they would have played if they had a decent manager who'd give them they best possible chance of competing apponted. thee's no disputing that.

However, that is a symptom of the greater ill. If they had gotten on with it in that scenario then cork GAA would be no closer to addressing the fundamental sickness in its structures.

the fact that frank has once again created turmoil with his pettiness and unwillingness to put the county first has meant that at least one strand of the membership were forced to shout stop. That being the case, should those most directly effected simply resolve their own issue and allow the recurring problem to remain to perpetuate and probably compound the problem in the near future?

If they simply return with the removal of McCarthy then the accusation will be that they are only in it to solve their own issue and did nothing to help the clubs in cork when they had the chance.

Ironically, people opposing them on this thread claim that seeking to address the bigger problem is evidence that they are only interested in themselves

Read them this time and stop your infuriating habit of rehashing old people made by indiana, dowling etc in some vain attempt to come across as making informed comment.

tyronefan

why dont the cork hurlers demand that frank murphy goes as well as he seems to be a major part of the problem and get this sorted once and for all instead of coming back to it every year.

If they get rid of Mc Carthy this year and Murphy stays are we not going to be in the same position next year only some other managers head will be on the block

Zulu

That depends on the clubs, only the clubs can get rid of Frank, the reason i presume the players aren't calling on the clubs to propose this is because it might be too difficult to get through, especially when it will have to go through the CB. As has been said quite a few times now, the players can get back playing this year if Gerald goes and that is what everyone wants, if that is achieved then maybe the clubs can go after Frank or at least ensure he doesn't try and pull another stunt like this again. I suspect myself the Christy cooney will offer him something in CP and he will be replaced this year as Cork secretary.

dowling

Well just in from school, had agreat day.

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2009, 12:28:20 PM
It seems clear that the players want to wrest control of the running of the county team away from the county board and basically put themselves in charge for the forseeable future. Pick their own managers, selectors, etc. If successful you could see a case in a couple of years when some of the older players have retired of them playing pass the parcel with the management of the senior hurling team. Treating it as their own personal fiefdom much like Frank Murphy has with Cork GAA. Maybe they have more in common with Frank than they'd like to admit.

In the absence of any genuine concern for the football or hurling teams within the county executive, someone has to do something.

Had Mc Carthy rolled over after a few days, there wouldn't have been any meeting in Douglas, no meetings of the clubs, no 250 page thread on a board, no allegation and counter allegation, no public condemnation of Gerald, Frank, the players, no Primetime Specials etc etc.

The 2008 panel would simply have gone back and hurled away as normal under their "preferred" manager.

Simple as that. All this talk about FM, CB etc was and is purely a way of putting pressure on the board to get rid of Mc Carthy. The proposed vote of confidence is not against the CB or FM but against Gerald Mc Carthy.

That summation illustrates a fundamental or willful misunderstanding of the situation in cork

Not at all - you know that the players would have been back in a flash. If Gerald had been a good boy and not the stubborn "gentleman" that he is being, now there wouldn't have been all the Primetime specials, player / club meetings etc. The 2008 panel had to go for broke as soon as they realised Gerald was going to be like Thatcher. Gerald was not for turning and became the " Iron Man" much like Thatcher whenever the Provos tried to force her hand. You know what happened there.

You may not want to concede this point and I don't expect you to but I think privately that you would accept it.

Of course GAA and the likes of him know what's going on but just aren't big enough to concede it. Or else he's just keeping to the 'party' line.
That's why he, and those of a similar mind, can only respond to the obvious with immature or insulting remarks.

One thing that's striking is that all those posters opposed to the strike - although now we have Reillers telling us it isn't that, incredible - have expressed concern about the present state of Cork in relation to this dispute. All the pro posters, like the 2008 panel, want to see this through to the bitter end no matter what the consequences. And at the end there won't be the same Cork as was there before, and it wont be for the better. But stuff the greater good of the county if the 2008 panel win!

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 02:48:08 PM

You are not making a point.

perhaps you wish to revisit some of these old posts in answer to the same assertions:

Quote from: The GAA on February 24, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
As yu will be aware Indiana the initial row was about the process of reappointing McCarthy. that puts the conty board in the dock and cites the results of their actions as unacceptable. obviously McCarthy is and was unacceptable to them but this only became an issuewhen he was appointed anyway. this is not a difficult sum.

Certainly, if the proper procedures had been followed then the engagement with FM would have been avoided for another while but this was coming whether it was this year or next. it was only a matter of time before the footballers, hurlers, clubs or indeed other county board members shouted stop. there will always be a straw that breaks someone's back and it happened to be the hurlers this time round.

Is FM throwing out just enough treats every so often to hold everyone at bay a satisfactory way to run a county?

Quote from: The GAA on February 24, 2009, 01:50:29 PM

Of course they would have played if they had a decent manager who'd give them they best possible chance of competing apponted. thee's no disputing that.

However, that is a symptom of the greater ill. If they had gotten on with it in that scenario then cork GAA would be no closer to addressing the fundamental sickness in its structures.

the fact that frank has once again created turmoil with his pettiness and unwillingness to put the county first has meant that at least one strand of the membership were forced to shout stop. That being the case, should those most directly effected simply resolve their own issue and allow the recurring problem to remain to perpetuate and probably compound the problem in the near future?

If they simply return with the removal of McCarthy then the accusation will be that they are only in it to solve their own issue and did nothing to help the clubs in cork when they had the chance.

Ironically, people opposing them on this thread claim that seeking to address the bigger problem is evidence that they are only interested in themselves

Read them this time and stop your infuriating habit of rehashing old people made by indiana, dowling etc in some vain attempt to come across as making informed comment.

As Reillers used to say, show us your evidence. You dont have any.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 25, 2009, 01:59:04 PM

Technically you are right, it is a veto, but if (and it's an extreme comparison I know) but if you kill someone in war are you a murderer? (The only example I could think of.)
You know what I mean.
Or Robin Hood. Technically he was a theif right, but..
I'm really, really trying to break it down here.

This sums up your posts Reillers........... the most Ridiculous ramblings ::)

Zulu

QuoteOf course GAA and the likes of him know what's going on but just aren't big enough to concede it. Or else he's just keeping to the 'party' line.

What are you on about, everyone of teh pro-player posters has said they would have played under another manager, even as recently as the post after the one you quoted from.

QuoteOne thing that's striking is that all those posters opposed to the strike - although now we have Reillers telling us it isn't that, incredible - have expressed concern about the present state of Cork in relation to this dispute. All the pro posters, like the 2008 panel, want to see this through to the bitter end no matter what the consequences

Again a complete falsehood, you have an unfortunate habit of lumping everyone into two groups the pro-player posters who are foul mouthed, know-it-alls who couldn't care less about Cork GAA as long as the players get their way and the pro-CB posters who make nothing but reasonably put pertinent points and all down out of an underlying desire to see Cork GAA alright.

The fact that that is complete rubbish is neither here nor there but nobody can deny Reillers certainly wants what is good for Cork GAA and others like myself and GAA also want what's best for the GAA (and have expressed so) we just happen to believe that putting yet another plaster over the Cork wound won't achieve that.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 03:48:41 PM

What on earth are you rambling about?
Show you evidence of what?

dowling

Someone asked somewhere on this thread Reillers if you are a member of the 2008 panel and I would ask that again. Being a relative newcomer I genuinely don't know and it might be a silly question. But you say the same thing over and over again avoiding questions and insulting those of a differing opinion and if you're not I have to wonder do you have any connection with the 2008 panel.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 04:03:21 PM

Of your claims to the contrary.

The GAA

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 04:07:45 PM

my claims to the contrary of what?

Perhaps this wasn't directed at me ? Apologies if so.

Zulu

Quote from: dowling on February 25, 2009, 04:05:02 PM
Someone asked somewhere on this thread Reillers if you are a member of the 2008 panel and I would ask that again. Being a relative newcomer I genuinely don't know and it might be a silly question. But you say the same thing over and over again avoiding questions and insulting those of a differing opinion and if you're not I have to wonder do you have any connection with the 2008 panel.

I'm pretty sure he has said he isn't and exactly what questions has he avoided, I think this is more baseless generalisations from you, if anything Reillers has over-answered questions put to him.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 04:07:45 PM

my claims to the contrary of what?

Perhaps this wasn't directed at me ? Apologies if so.

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2009, 04:06:04 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 25, 2009, 04:03:21 PM

Of your claims to the contrary.

Are you saying now that you're not looking for evidence of something from me now?