McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Another review of the meeting by Thomas on rebelgaa.

I was fortunate enough to have gone to the meeting last night, and the pure passion on display from ordinary club chairmen and club members made me so proud to be a Corkonian.  A great feeling, considering how embarrassing we have been to the rest of the country over the past five months.

Podsy did a great summation of events, but i'd like to add a few things that came to me.

The Mallow delegate stated that the Cork 08 panel were welcome to train at the club's complex, and he wanted to bury the rumour that the club were ordered by the CCB to move the players along.

Alan White also stated that on the night  Ger Mc, Donie Collins and Ger Fitz showed up at the CCB meeting, the vote of confidence was "very unfair and undemocratic", as they were asked to vote confidence in Ger Mac and the executive of the County Board, with Ger Mac and the executive looking down on them!  Not humanly possible, IMHO.  As another delegate said, "sure who'd vote to sack themselves?"  White also pointed out that the orginal 88-6 vote to ratify Ger Mac was also to ratify  Counihan, and that nobody was going to object to Counihan.  Another CCB delegate present confirmed this.  Many present were shocked to hear this.

The Chairman of one senior hurling club tried his best to see it from the county board's point of view, and the discussion between him and the players was cordial, even if the rest of the audience guffawed when he asked the players to "go home and talk to their parents about it".  As ye know now, Naughton said he wouldn't be let home if he told his folks he was going to play under Ger Mac, but also said that the younger players feel stronger about this than the older crew.  They are sick of being insulted by these insinuations.  The senior club chairman also (reasonably IMO) pointed out that if the12 reps at the meeting rejected the Croke Park document without consulting their players, then surely this was not democratic.  Gardiner responded by saying they had no mandate from the players to accept anything on the night, and they put it to all 30 players the next day, who rejected it.

Kevin Hartnett: If we fall for something, we stand for nothing.  The lad is well spoken!

Niall Mc:  Everytime he spoke, he started off by saying "Niall McCarthy, Carrigtowhill".  Completely modest, even tho we all know the guy.  Said it "was a fierce insult for people to say we are led and said. You have to stand on your own two feet"

Chairman (delegate?) of Nemo: Did any member of the panel say to the local press that they were prepared to play under Gerald in certain circumstnaces, as per the claim in the Echo?  Answer:  NEVER.  Donal Og Cusack said that in 8 hours of talks, loads of scenarios might be put to them, so he reckoned the idea that the players would play under gerald was put to Gerald himself by Cooney and Duffy as some kind of "What if scenario", and then completely misrepresented to the press.  That's only his opionion though.

Carrignavar chairman stated that his junior club had no voice at CCB(repeated by loadsa junior club chairmen).  He reckoned that as the players were members of at least 20 different clubs, many of their own club delegates were voting against them.  How did they feel?  The answer to this came from another club chairman (Dungourney), who said the the CCB have 40 votes before they start at all.  Newcestown delegate asked(very reasonably) that if Gerald steps aside, what's to say that these problems between players, manager and county board won't arise again?  Gardiner responded by saying that it will not happen again if the clubs take control of the county board, and that there will be very few problems if we all work together.  Implication:  they're working agin us, without any proper mandate from the clubs to do so.

Niall Barrett of Carrigtowhill said that his club were having an EGM, as everybody knew, and that he was not looking forward to it.  However, he felt that what really got the back up of the grassroots was the "vote of confidence" last week.  Another club chairman said he supported the players, but he felt that if each club discussed this, they would all be torn apart so could they compromise instead.  To which the Lough Rovers delegate said "why should we be in fear of EGMs?  Why should we fear democracy?  If you win a vote, you win it, if you lose a vote, you lose it and that's it."  A big roar of approval from the crowd for that.

Another Chairman asked the players' reps why did they not make their opposition to GEr Mc known to the board at the first meeting, as the Secretary said they only opposed him at the third.  Donal Og said the players made a big mistake in not doing this, but they really felt that there would be a process involving a number of managers, and that Ger Mac would not be picked at the end, when it became obvious there were better candidates.  The first meeting was simply the board saying they'd like to ask ger mac if he was interested.  At the second meeting, the players realised there would be no process, and tried to get one going, and at the end of second meeting the secretary told them to ask all the players what they thought of Ger Mc as manager.  Therefore, at the third meeting they felt obliged to point out that they had lost confidence in him, something they did not want to do and would not have done if the process was entered into in good faith by the board.  In response to questions about mentioning other managers, Ga pointed out that the players mentioned names but did not make definitive nominations because they thought it was not their place to pick the manager.  That's why there was supposed to be a process in place, but Frank was having none of it.

A couple of delegates said the only way to change, was to seek changes at convention, but many more refuted that, saying that if you want to be part of the system at the CCB, you go with the flow, or words to that effect.  The shafting of the clubs over Rule 42 was used as an example by a few.  One Chairman suggested that club chairmen meet regularly to get the real views of the clubs, I presume not formally though.  Another suggested that any new committee to pick a manger be composed of two members of the CCB, two club chairmen and two reps nominated by the players.  Big applause for that one.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  I hope I haven't broken any rules by naming clubs?  I don't I said anything offensive anyway.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 23, 2009, 07:41:11 PM
FIrst of all Humphries I think is a good journalist. I like what he wrote, I think it was pretty much bang on. The only people who haven't enjoyed it are those who've spent weeks and months (how sad are we) ripping lairs off the players and everything they stood for and have faught for.
The Junior C thing was, like it's been said here, an analogy, he wasn't saying that they were junior c he was just making a point and the fact that all of the anti player posters on here went overdramatic and over the top about it is really just them clutching at straws because they have had no problem with calling and reading players being called spoilt, drama queens, b**tards, everything under the sun. But when an article truely reflecting what's going on the only thing targeted is Humphries and his Junior C reference which was no more then him making a point, not an attack on the junior players which is clear to see.
And calling the CB executives dunces..a light way to put it. But instead of actually reading it and taking points from it which are true ye just attack the journalist who in fairness is one of the best sports journo around.
Some of ye have called the players everything under the sun and more. But Humphries makes an analogy and ye rip him apart, what gives him the right..etc.
What gave ye the right to call the 08 panel everything ye have called them. It wasn't a personal attack on the 09 players at all, unlike what ye have done for the 08 players.

He who throws the first stone..

Its not an analogy its a direct insult and Tom shouldn't have said it. The rest of your post is the usual Reillers rambling rant as I call it. Generally these days Reillers I read the first line of your posts. the rest are just stock lines at this stage. Thiis is called gaaboard not Reillers board someting after 250 pages you still haven't grasped. Christ I can't even read a rugby forum either without reading more ramblings from you on that as well.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 23, 2009, 10:03:55 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 23, 2009, 07:41:11 PM
FIrst of all Humphries I think is a good journalist. I like what he wrote, I think it was pretty much bang on. The only people who haven't enjoyed it are those who've spent weeks and months (how sad are we) ripping lairs off the players and everything they stood for and have faught for.
The Junior C thing was, like it's been said here, an analogy, he wasn't saying that they were junior c he was just making a point and the fact that all of the anti player posters on here went overdramatic and over the top about it is really just them clutching at straws because they have had no problem with calling and reading players being called spoilt, drama queens, b**tards, everything under the sun. But when an article truely reflecting what's going on the only thing targeted is Humphries and his Junior C reference which was no more then him making a point, not an attack on the junior players which is clear to see.
And calling the CB executives dunces..a light way to put it. But instead of actually reading it and taking points from it which are true ye just attack the journalist who in fairness is one of the best sports journo around.
Some of ye have called the players everything under the sun and more. But Humphries makes an analogy and ye rip him apart, what gives him the right..etc.
What gave ye the right to call the 08 panel everything ye have called them. It wasn't a personal attack on the 09 players at all, unlike what ye have done for the 08 players.

He who throws the first stone..

Its not an analogy its a direct insult and Tom shouldn't have said it. The rest of your post is the usual Reillers rambling rant as I call it. Generally these days Reillers I read the first line of your posts. the rest are just stock lines at this stage. Thiis is called gaaboard not Reillers board someting after 250 pages you still haven't grasped. Christ I can't even read a rugby forum either without reading more ramblings from you on that as well.

Hypocrite, you've insulted the 2008 players over and over again and then when Humphries was using it as a comparasin, never once did he say that they were at a level of Junior C, yet you have a fit when you have called the players a hell of a lot worse. A bit of a drama queen aren't ya.

Ok....Never said it was "Reillersboard"..and I ramble.  ::) ::)

And ya lost me on the last bit.

INDIANA

Drama queen , afraid not. You're just oblivious to anyone's else's views. As I will re-iterate this is gaaboard not Reillersboard. Just to give you an insight everyone I met tonight at a match mentioned the article and commented on the exact same thing without me prompting it. It was a throwaway remark that was deeply insulting to the 2009 panel. Regardless of your stance on your debate, if you can't see that , then I can only conclude there is a  hamster running the wheel in that dormant organ you have that passes for a brain.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 23, 2009, 10:16:31 PM
Drama queen , afraid not. You're just oblivious to anyone's else's views. As I will re-iterate this is gaaboard not Reillersboard. Just to give you an insight everyone I met tonight at a match mentioned the article and commented on the exact same thing without me prompting it. It was a throwaway remark that was deeply insulting to the 2009 panel. Regardless of your stance on your debate, if you can't see that , then I can only conclude there is a  hamster running the wheel in that dormant organ you have that passes for a brain.

Oh calm down for the love of God.
It was an example, a comparison of sorts, and you've said some deeply insulting things about men who have served for years and years and served brilliantly, how dare you.. ::) ::) ffs.
They've been on the scene for 5 seconds and none of which was truely, when you compare it to other players, earned in the same way. It takes years to earn respect and a reputation and a second for it to be all torn down, as it has been shown by you, you've not shown one ounce of respect for the 08 lads. You've insulted them over and over again, and yet you have a fit over a passing comment of a comparison of 09 players on the scene for 5 seconds.
We all know it's not about that, just a chance on your part to bitch.
What you just said to me here is deeply insulting and a disgrace and a direct insult to myself..as a tiny little violin playing in the backround.
I mean really, it's gotten to the stage where you have been proved so wrong that you are grasping at straws, ridiculous straws like this.

RedandGreenSniper

Reillers it was out of line. He's better than that. He is one of the best sports writers going. But when he talks on issues like this he takes a condescneding and insulting tone, as much to say there is no way anyone but the players could be right. A bit like you really. Reillers are you Tom Humphries in disguise? ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Reillers

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 23, 2009, 11:27:09 PM
Reillers it was out of line. He's better than that. He is one of the best sports writers going. But when he talks on issues like this he takes a condescneding and insulting tone, as much to say there is no way anyone but the players could be right. A bit like you really. Reillers are you Tom Humphries in disguise? ;D

Ya it was a bit condecsending but for the love of God you'd swear he just insulted the Pope by some people's reactions on here. Looking for an excuse to bitch or trying to deflect attention off the truth, I don't know, but it was a joke.

Especially when you considere that they have called the players who have earned and deserve more, some pretty unacceptable, undeserving things, which were by a long stretch of a mile a hell lot more insulting.
Hypocrites to say the least.

They'll call players like Deane, Nial McCarthy, Sean Og, players who have given more then 10 years of service, a shower of spoilt b**tards without flinching, but Humphries makes a comparison of players, who have been on the scene for all of 2 seconds, who've earned nor deserves anyones respect like the 08 panel has over the years, to a Junior C team and there's hissy fits thrown left right and centre from Indiana, OM and co.
Mother of God like, a little bit sensitive the lot of them.

And no, no not Humphries in disguise. He's hell of a journo though.

It was a ridiculous, hillarious in parts, reaction and a pathetic attempt to try and deflect attention away from the fact that God forbid, they may be wrong. Each one of them highlighted that bit and failed to acknowledge the rest of the article which happened to remphasises just how badly run Cork GAA is. But hell would freeze over before they admited that they might have been very wrong. Hell like I know I've been wrong and out of line at times, and the players aren't completley innocent either. Mistakes were made and they would and have been the first to admit that.
But these lads..when a pig flies.

INDIANA

At times he's a hell of a journo , unfortunately in recent years he can't leave his personal feelings aside in articles. Thast not confined to the Cork case. He's not as good as he used to be I'm afraid. And he's taking to insulting people as well at times which is disappointing. Whether its Rule 42, the Cork case, the Dublin football team or Roy Keane. Again Reillers I have to just read the first line after all the rhetoric, stock lines as Clint Eastwood used to say, stock lines Joe. Every post is the same, you must watch that film Groundhog Day every hour on the hour.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 24, 2009, 12:36:07 AM
At times he's a hell of a journo , unfortunately in recent years he can't leave his personal feelings aside in articles. Thast not confined to the Cork case. He's not as good as he used to be I'm afraid. And he's taking to insulting people as well at times which is disappointing. Whether its Rule 42, the Cork case, the Dublin football team or Roy Keane. Again Reillers I have to just read the first line after all the rhetoric, stock lines as Clint Eastwood used to say, stock lines Joe. Every post is the same, you must watch that film Groundhog Day every hour on the hour.

Ya at times he's a hell of a journo..when it suits you. He is not bad one minute and good the next.
In recent years..bullshit. He got it bang on, like he usually, 99.9% if the time does and you're only trying to downgrade his work because he didn't agree with you on it.
And how about replying to the post instead of concentrating on me, which you're doing for the same reason you only highlighted and concentrated on 4 of his article and a hell of a lot of others things you've done on this topic, so you take attention off the fact that you might, might just be wrong and more and more people are beggining to think that the players, God forbid I know, are right and were right all along and as they've shown, may, just may, have the best interests of Cork GAA at heart.
Why not respond to the real points instead of nit picking and trying to undermine everyone and anyone who says otherwise be it oh he's gotten biased over the last few years..etc.

INDIANA

God yawn Reillers. Christ man have you any new material? Or do we still have to listen to the same pedantic bullshit about how the world is against the players. Its all a conspiracy that they didn't contribute to. That Frank really is the Grim Reaper and that Gerald is really a re-incarnation of Mike Bassett. You still can't grasp this concept of a forum. I suppose consideirng you're from Cork its not surprising. i re-iterate once again Reillers its gaaboard not Reillersboard. You aren't a moderator here.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 24, 2009, 12:53:33 AM
God yawn Reillers. Christ man have you any new material? Or do we still have to listen to the same pedantic bullshit about how the world is against the players. Its all a conspiracy that they didn't contribute to. That Frank really is the Grim Reaper and that Gerald is really a re-incarnation of Mike Bassett. You still can't grasp this concept of a forum. I suppose consideirng you're from Cork its not surprising. i re-iterate once again Reillers its gaaboard not Reillersboard. You aren't a moderator here.

And there you go ignore, concentrating on me and not the points. Running out of material are we? ::) ::)
How about you answer the posts before you turn into OM.
How about you reply to the rest of the article not just the lines where you found you could deflect attention from it.
How about you actually comment about the players meeting.
How about you comment on what's actually going on instead of the people who are writting it.

sligeach

Quote from: Reillers on February 24, 2009, 12:58:27 AM
And there you go ignore, concentrating on me and not the points. Running out of material are we? ::) ::)
How about you answer the posts before you turn into OM.

Funny, you never found the need to answer mine, why should he answer you ?

You want a summary ?

1. The players are asking for powers of Veto.

Donal Og has consistently bare faced lied to the media on this point. Unless Donal Og is after releasing his own version of the Oxford dictionary then yes, this is the exact definition of what a veto is. i.e > The players wanted to veto McCarthy.

You see when someone lets say X (Players) say they don't want something Y (McCarthy as manager) and they believe they should have that power theres actually a word for that. Some people a long tiome ago put the letters v, e, t and o togeather and made a nice shiny new word.

So far reillers your 'proof' of this not been a veto is to say "Thats not what they want", thats funny because thats EXACTLY what they are asking for and if they got their veto 5 months ago we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

2. Player power.

No manager in their right mind would go near the Cork job except for managers who don't particularly want to manage anyways, they just want to "discuss" managing with Donal Og and the boys and sit back.

New Cork manager -> "Is it alright if I substitute you Donal ? .... no ? Ok sher maybe next time"

Cork needs to get its house in order and stop putting up with a corrupt county board on one hand and spoilt pre-madonna's on the other.

If this situation happened in Kilkenny this is what would happen.

1. Players say they won't play under Brian Cody, demand player power in the selection process.
2. Brian waves as the players leave, never to be let near a Kilkenny jersey again.

oh yeah and ..

3. Kilkenny win 5 in a row with the new players.

GalwayBayBoy

At times he's a hell of a journo , unfortunately in recent years he can't leave his personal feelings aside in articles.

Humphries as a journalist jumped the shark a few years ago at this stage. Allows his personal bias to creep into too much of his work and his man crush on some of the senior Cork hurlers has long been established. Has been surpassed by people like Keith Duggan and one or two others as well. A good writer still but I don't take him very seriously these days.

stephenite

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 24, 2009, 01:53:08 AM
At times he's a hell of a journo , unfortunately in recent years he can't leave his personal feelings aside in articles.

Humphries as a journalist jumped the shark a few years ago at this stage. Allows his personal bias to creep into too much of his work and his man crush on some of the senior Cork hurlers has long been established. Has been surpassed by people like Keith Duggan and one or two others as well. A good writer still but I don't take him very seriously these days.

I'd agree with that

passedit

Quote from: stephenite on February 24, 2009, 02:06:38 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 24, 2009, 01:53:08 AM

I'd agree with that

Haven't really grasped the concept of OPINION pieces have we lads.

Usual sound and fury from the usual suspects here, all of whom have more gravely insulted the 08 hurlers than this perceived slight on the 09s. As Raillers rightly points out, it's an analogy these lads are fourth choice for the Cork senior team and in if that was a club set up they'd be junior C. As a junior footballer and former junior hurler myself I'm insulted that you lot consider junior as a pejorative term. Smacks of elitism to me.
Don't Panic