McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Well it perhaps would not but the argument could also be put that them being there isn't much good for the GAA either.

It's an awful mess that I don't know enough about to form a very strong opinion on. That's an opinion I'm moving towards though...

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2009, 09:48:46 PM
Well it perhaps would not but the argument could also be put that them being there isn't much good for the GAA either.

It's an awful mess that I don't know enough about to form a very strong opinion on. That's an opinion I'm moving towards though...

So if you think that the CB should move on, what should happen Mc Carthy and the 2008 / 2009 panels ?

imtommygunn

McCarthy should get a coach in. Trials should be held and those of the two panels good enough should make it in.

I don't think any of this will happen though.

I certainly wouldn't hold the far fetched notion that at current rate of progress the current panel could win 3 all irelands in 5 years.

Zulu

QuoteIf your county booard was run as a dictatorship, then you'd do something about it. You wouldn't sit back and take it on the chin for 30 years and just put up with it. That's what some are saying. Personally I don't accept it. You know how CB's work - delegates are representatives of the clubs in most cases.

You yourself acknowledge that your own club delegate sometimes votes opposite to what he has been mandated to do yet you find it hard buy that this happens in Cork? FM is a very able administrator but what Frank did 20 years ago is no longer acceptable to players, coaches or many club men. This is the problem he thinks what he could do in the past is still acceptable and the players don't.

QuotePlayers should confine themselves to playing.

I agree but if players make a real balls of it they can get dropped, if they aren't up to standard they can get cut off the panel altogether, why shouldn't administrators be held accountable. I'm sick of saying this but the CB only appointed Gerald to get at the players and nobody on here has denied this or provided a logical alternative reason. So why shouldn't the players highlight this, to my mind what the players are basically saying to the CB is if you aren't going to honour your part of the deal (i.e. provide the best possible backroom team) we won't provide the best possible playing team. The more I think about it the more I'm in agreement with the players.

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2009, 09:58:00 PM
McCarthy should get a coach in. Trials should be held and those of the two panels good enough should make it in.

I don't think any of this will happen though.

I certainly wouldn't hold the far fetched notion that at current rate of progress the current panel could win 3 all irelands in 5 years.
[/b]

Tongue firmly in cheek ITG  !!!

Too many harsh words have been used - too many accusations and counter accusations made on ALL sides for the 2008 panel to play with Mc Carthy as maanger - besides I don't think he would be that enthused about them being in the changing room either.

INDIANA

The 2008 have put themselves into a corner now they don't now how to extract themselves

I actually think thats a very valid point. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it on all sides. We now have a number of parties at opposite ends of the debate, none of whom want to be seen giving in and none of them knows what the end game is on this and that includes the players.  It is one unholy shambles.

Have to be honest for the good of Gaa in Cork I think all relevent parties should be taken out of the equation. How about if Frank, Gerald and the 5 main players spokespeople step down as a compromise. This is never going to be solved as long as any one of the three parties remain.
At this stage it doesn't matter who's fault it is, it needs to be sorted. And if that means sacrificing a few egos then so be it.

The GAA

Its a terrible state of affairs when the people charged with running the association in cork have to stoop to spreading lies in some pathetic attempt to get a foothold in the PR battle.

The 2008 panel have as good as called McCarthy a liar now on the claim that they agreed to play under him. It'll be interesting now to see if Gerald has another of his "right to reply"s in the press to substantiate his claims.

It'll also be interesting to see if Cooney & Duffy comment given he has implicated them in his claims.

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on February 21, 2009, 10:05:21 PM
The 2008 have put themselves into a corner now they don't now how to extract themselves

I actually think thats a very valid point. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it on all sides. We now have a number of parties at opposite ends of the debate, none of whom want to be seen giving in and none of them knows what the end game is on this and that includes the players.  It is one unholy shambles.

Have to be honest for the good of Gaa in Cork I think all relevent parties should be taken out of the equation. How about if Frank, Gerald and the 5 main players spokespeople step down as a compromise. This is never going to be solved as long as any one of the three parties remain.
At this stage it doesn't matter who's fault it is, it needs to be sorted. And if that means sacrificing a few egos then so be it.

Why 5? Why not 6 or 11?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 21, 2009, 10:06:39 PM
Its a terrible state of affairs when the people charged with running the association in cork have to stoop to spreading lies in some pathetic attempt to get a foothold in the PR battle.

The 2008 panel have as good as called McCarthy a liar now on the claim that they agreed to play under him. It'll be interesting now to see if Gerald has another of his "right to reply"s in the press to substantiate his claims.

It'll also be interesting to see if Cooney & Duffy comment given he has implicated them in his claims.

It will be interesting to hear what Cooney and Duffy say -

All sides have accused each other of lying amongst other things -

In terms of sacrifices, so far nobody has been prepared to make any sacrifice, compromise etc. Sure they won't even stand in the same room together ??

5, 6, 11 - why not 30 ?

orangeman

Any predictions on tomorrow nights meeting with the 2008 panel / clubs ?

Will press be allowed access ?

Zulu

It's not a CB, if it were you can be sure there'd be no cameras.

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on February 21, 2009, 10:08:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 21, 2009, 10:05:21 PM

I think if Donal Og, Sean Og and Gardiner along with Frank and Gerald hand their cards in , it will be over in the morning.

Why 5? Why not 6 or 11?

orangeman

I think it was GAA who advised us that FM actually can't be got rid of. He's employed by Croke Park I think was the explanation. So that one is a non runner.

INDIANA

Nothing to stop him resigning OM if the rest went as well.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on February 21, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
Nothing to stop him resigning OM if the rest went as well.

True but unlikely.

Gerald is sticking to his guns as well.

And so too the 2008 panel.