McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2009, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 20, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2009, 07:17:57 PM
OM last years votes on TH are good examples of Cork delegates, FM & the CB executive support TH and the clubs endorse this emphatically, the next time Frank and the executive support his removal and the club delegates endorse this emphatically. Now I accept it is quite as simple as that but if you hold an opinion surely you hold regardless of the circumstances, this the delegates didn't do. The clubs are in a difficult position now, they want the players back but to get them back they need to dump Gerald, which they understandably are reluctant to do.  Like I've said before, if the clubs of Cork want to support the appointment of a man clearly incapable of getting the best out of the players then that is their prerogative. But IMO the CCB clearly acted in a way that was sure to damage Cork hurling and the reputation of the GAA, that a paid employee oversaw it is a disgrace to the GAA and an embarrassment to all of us involved in the GAA. The players didn't bring this upon the GAA they merely highlighted the skullduggery that passes for administration in Cork GAA circles.

Judging by the performances against both Dublin and Tipp, I'd say Mc Carthy has done a remarkable job. Truly remarkable job considering the little time that he had with them and the age of the players. Young lads.

Appoint Mc Carthy for 5 years and he'll win at least 3 All Irelands with these lads if the progress of the past month is anything to go by.

In order for me to retain any respect for you opinion on anything GAA related I'll just presume that post is deeply, deeply coloured by your views on the Cork issue.

I'm merely trying to put into perspective what he has achieved in such a very very short space of time.I think he has done a marvellous job against ALL the odds. Would you not agree ? You mightn't agree with his appointment but you can give him some praise for extracting two moral victories already.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 20, 2009, 07:34:58 PM
Tipp national league champs - Munster champs - the team most likely to topple KK and you dismiss them as shocking - no surprise there.

And Dublin - hammered Galway ??????????? You just dismiss them as being shit on your shoe.

That just about sums up the whole dispute.

He's run Dublin close, scared the complete shit out of Tipp and and you dismiss that as well ? .

And you do say that there's another 50 who are better than the young lads he has at the minute ?

Could you imagine what he'd do if these 50 were available ? He'd have 4 points in the bag by now.

Give him the job for 5 years, not only the next 2.

Are you kidding me.
Tipp were shocking, they had 6 new players and they didn't look interested till the last 15 mins. Even Tipp fans will tell you that they were shocking. You didn't see the game did ya.

Galway without the Canning's aren't Galway. They are a shadow of a team. And Dublin played a lot better against Galway then they did against Cork, the Cork game was shocking.
And most imporantly we were still trashed by both.

Running Dublin close..Dublin..yipee. That sums up the dispute, running Dublin close is pathetic.
And moral victories, yay..that'll win us lots and lots of tropheys. We'll have morale victories all the way to relegation.

Just because there are 50 plus better then them, doesn't mean they can't play the game. There are some very handy players on the team. There are just exceptional players not playing.

What would he do if these 50 were available, nothing, actually sorry, he allready brought them backwards.
Seriously have you blanked the last 2 shocking years?

Zulu

QuoteI'm merely trying to put into perspective what he has achieved in such a very very short space of time.I think he has done a marvellous job against ALL the odds. Would you not agree ? You mightn't agree with his appointment but you can give him some praise for extracting two moral victories already.

I didn't see the Dublin game but Tipp (short a few big players) were woeful on the night and Cork played an extra defender to keep the score down, despite this they were beaten by 11 or 12 points so I'm not sure how it was much of an achievement. Anyway for anyone to take two league games, especially when that team were beaten by, on average, 10 points as evidence that the manager could take them to 3 All Irelands is beyond ridicule.

Anyway I've always maintained that Gerlads qualities as a coach are irrelevant, the best players won't play for him and the ones who will aren't good enough so either way he isn't the man to bring success to Cork.

orangeman

Rossfan

Despite his words it looked from Gerald's body language after the Thurles farce that he knew it couldnt continue as it was.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The GAA

Appoint Mc Carthy for 5 years and he'll win at least 3 All Irelands with these lads if the progress of the past month is anything to go by.

In a single sentance you've demonstrated your total cluelessness

Eoghan Mag

4. A review of all aspects of the relationships between, on the one hand, players at senior inter-county level in both hurling and football and, on the other, the management teams and the County Board will take place at the end of this year's playing season. This review will be carried out by an independent three-person committee nominated by Croke Park. This committee will consult with the outgoing panels, the teams' managements, the County Board and relevant others and will make a recommendation on the appointment of Senior Team Managers in hurling and football for the 2010 season. This recommendation will be forwarded to the Cork County Board for approval.

I think the proposal at point 4 (above) would have collapsed the whole talks last night. Why the GAA would go out of their way to make a recommendation to the Cork County board for approval is beyond me. What happens if this recommendation gets rejected by the Cork County board? - Back to square one. Plus a hell of a lot of other counties will get upset that Cork gets special treatment while they are left in a barely developed state.

I was interested that they suggested an addition to the coaching staff like the one I made, but I think they didn't go far enough. It needs 3 former All-Ireland winning team managers to get together to knock the 2008 panel into shape

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 20, 2009, 10:09:26 PM

In a single sentance you've demonstrated your total cluelessness  -  ;D ;D ;D

Same old, same old  from the boy that knows it all. 

A couple of All Irelands, a couple of strikes, the odd club match and Munster final trip doesn't give you all the answers in spite of how smart you might think you are.

I know you're desperate to see your heroes back in the red jersey again, but give Mc Carthy a wee bit of credit. I know it's very difficult for you but do try.

orangeman

I suppose Mc Carthy is telling lies again ??? That's what I meant by the strikers stirring the pot - they've been saying one thing and doing another from day one but telling their journo friends like Keys some other story .The 2008 panel want total and absolute victory. So did Paisley but he had to settle for less, much, much less in fact and eventually had to leave the stage altogether even whilst claiming victory. Sackcloth and ashes Gerald ?? Would that be enough for them ? I think FM would have to don a set as well.  :D :D

Cork County Board delegates have finished tonight's meeting to discuss the current impasse on Leeside.

Chairman Jerry O'Sullivan informed delegates of the events over the past 24 hours and of the failure to reach a solution with the hurlers and officials at Croke Park on Thursday.

O'Sullivan also read a statement from manager Gerald McCarthy, in which he said he had been informed by Croke Park officials that the 2008 panel had been willing to work alongside him.
GAA Director-General Pauric Duffy and President-elect Christy Cooney met with the players, Gerald McCarthy and the Cork County Board on Thursday in talks that lasted almost 12 hours.

A document released by the GAA revealed a number of proposals put to all parties in an effort to seek a compromise.

The proposals included; the hurlers making themselves available for selection again, the addition of an extra county selector and member of McCarthy's backroom staff acceptable to all parties and a wholesale review of the systems in place in Cork GAA.

However, the striking players and the county board never actually came face-to-face during the talks, and no solution to the impasse was found.

Reillers

Oh the CB are a joke.

Apparently there was a lot of unhappiness at the meeting.

Delegates were briefed and given the Croke Park report, informed that CCB Executive and management team would agree with all points, but the players wouldn't.

Blarney delegate, Alan White, informed the meeting that the players would play under Gerald on condition that changes be made to his backroom team. However this was a surprise to the Executive, who stated that they hadn't been told this by Duffy and Cooney.
(It wouldn't be the first time the CB executives weren't aware of things.)

I think that's it.

orangeman

Chairman Jerry O'Sullivan informed delegates of the events over the past 24 hours and of the failure to reach a solution with the hurlers and officials at Croke Park on Thursday

This is what it says on RTE.

Of course there was unhappiness at the meeting - the 2008 panel won't budge.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 20, 2009, 11:49:04 PM
Oh the CB are a joke.

Delegates were briefed and given the Croke Park report, informed that CCB Executive and management team would agree with all points, but the players wouldn't.
Blarney delegate, Alan White, informed the meeting that the players would play under Gerald on condition that changes be made to his backroom team. However this was a surprise to the Executive, who stated that they hadn't been told this by Duffy and Cooney.

I think that's it.

This is turning out to be a PR disaster for the 2008 panel. Thery're coming across poorly.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 20, 2009, 11:54:15 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 20, 2009, 11:49:04 PM
Oh the CB are a joke.

I think that's it.

This is turning out to be a PR disaster for the 2008 panel. Thery're coming across poorly.
Like I said earlier no one takes anything that comes out of the CB that seriously any more tbh.

In fairness this was all very well done by FM, the pull the wool over peoples eyes, distract them from the unwanted attention he was getting and the added pressure and try to slate the players, great PR work, trying to stem the massive momentum building up behind the players.
And the reports coming out are conflicting and confusing. Typical, classic CB..Confuse, confuse, confuse. 

sligeach

Quote from: Reillers on February 20, 2009, 07:42:17 PM
Galway without the Canning's aren't Galway. They are a shadow of a team.

Galway without the Cannings are a shadow of a team ?

I am really trying not to be insulting but the only thing thats going through my mind after reading that is that your some kind of kid that never grew up.

QuoteAnd Dublin played a lot better against Galway then they did against Cork, the Cork game was shocking.

Theres a word for people who think like this.

QuoteRunning Dublin close..Dublin..yipee. That sums up the dispute, running Dublin close is pathetic.
And moral victories, yay..that'll win us lots and lots of tropheys. We'll have morale victories all the way to relegation.

You really ARE a kid that never grew up.

How many years of winning no silverware would it take for you to abandon following hurling ? I'm willing to bet very few.

Bud Wiser

QuoteBlarney delegate, Alan White, informed the meeting that the players would play under Gerald on condition that changes be made to his backroom team.

And is this true, Do they want the whole setup removed before they agree to play?  Jesus at this rate they will end up playing Rgby League in Fiji because no county in Ireland will be suitable for them.   
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"