McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on February 20, 2009, 01:28:24 AM

What I would worry about is that with this vote, an open vote, we know who votes which way, if it's a secret vote we wont know.

Reillers,
         as a matter of interest do you believe that Cork CB would benefit from a secret vote or an open vote?

I see upsides and downsides in both systems as in the open vote, yes Frank will know who voted for or against as in the recent vote of confidence, the upside of that is that clubs will also know who didn't follow their mandate.

If the vote goes secret then the general assumption is that more delegates would be inclined to vote against Franks wishes but I'm not so sure as Frank is cuter than that. The downside is that the clubs or junior boards in Cork won't know how their delegates have voted.

what's your take on it?

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 20, 2009, 10:36:47 AM
Quote from: dowling on February 20, 2009, 01:22:38 AM
Ok Zulu, so what are clubs saying? That the 2008 panel is right? That the county board is right? That Gerald McCarthy is right? You see there's nothing definitive in all this stuff you're putting on. How many clubs are questioning 'procedure'? And are they saying delegates would have voted one way, another way or abstained? It's all unclear but you're trying to present it all in a certain way hence the spin. Even what are 'some' the clubs seeking? Apart from a vote we have no indication as to what may or may not happen.
And if you think all this isn't spin quantify the number of clubs involved, what exactly they're objecting to, what they're proposing to do and what they hope to achieve.
There could be a possibility that some want their previously expressed position re-inforced. But if you come up with something substantial it would be helpful.
And by the way do you not think this emphasis on procedure now is a bit ironic.

The only irony is that we're full circle. The whole thing kicked off because the CCB wouldn't follow the mulvey procedures.

So there haven't been accusations of the CCB following the Mulvey agreement to the letter of the law but not the spirit?

The GAA

Have there?
The process set out rquired a process of nomination and a thorough interview process based on agreed selection criteria, did it not?

orangeman

Wouldn't be funny if FM was undone by procedure ???

But as it stands Mc Carthy is the manager and I can't see this bit changing - clubs will air their grievances and FM and Jerry will say they'll look into it and put things right for next year and that might be it.

As far the 2008 panel are concerned, they will be no further along the road to getting back onto the pitch this year.

The GAA

In simple terms are these clubs not saying that although their delegates voted to back Gerald in the vote of confidence in him as manager? If enough of them want this vote retaken it could be fairly significant

orangeman

I still feel that if it came to another vote, Mc Carthy's appointment would be reaffirmed. I believe that all this talk about delegates not voting the way they were supposed to is exaggerated and that Mc Carthy's job is safe.

As well as that, there does seem to be a fresh injection of HQ diplomacy aimed at getting a resolution which will probably save everyone's blushes temporarily and bring the sorry saga to an end.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 20, 2009, 11:58:23 AM
As well as that, there does seem to be a fresh injection of HQ diplomacy aimed at getting a resolution which will probably save everyone's blushes temporarily and bring the sorry saga to an end.

Thats quite a change in stance in 2 posts

Quote from: orangeman on February 20, 2009, 11:33:52 AM
But as it stands Mc Carthy is the manager and I can't see this bit changing - clubs will air their grievances and FM and Jerry will say they'll look into it and put things right for next year and that might be it.

As far the 2008 panel are concerned, they will be no further along the road to getting back onto the pitch this year.

orangeman

2 different situations - one Pair Ui Chaoimh - the other HQ in Cork hotel it seems.

orangeman

OOPS !!!!!!!!!! Surprise of all surprises here !!!

The GAA's last-gasp efforts to broker talks between the 2008 Cork hurling squad and manager Gerald McCarthy have failed.

The GAA's Director General Pauric Duffy and the president-elect Christy Cooney met with the players, Gerald McCarthy and the county board in talks that lasted almost 12 hours.

A document released by the GAA revealed a number of proposals put to all parties in an effort to seek a compromise.

The proposals included; the hurlers making themselves available for selection again, the addition of an extra county selector and member of McCarthy's backroom staff acceptable to all parties and a wholesale review of the systems in place in Cork GAA.
However, the striking players and the county board never actually came face-to-face during the talks, and no solution to the impasse was found.

The striking players are seeking the support of the county's clubs this weekend.

Zulu

Quotestill feel that if it came to another vote, Mc Carthy's appointment would be reaffirmed. I believe that all this talk about delegates not voting the way they were supposed to is exaggerated and that Mc Carthy's job is safe.

How do reckon it is being exaggerated? At least 3 divisions have come out expressing dissatisfaction with their delegates and the word on the street is that a number of clubs feel exactly the same. The CB are generally guaranteed around 20-30 votes regarless of what they propose - their own executive, the divisions and the universities along with some other groups, but the club members and now the divisional clubs seem to be finally getting their voices heard. How anyone can say it is being exaggerated is beyond me.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 20, 2009, 10:58:52 AM

Have there?
The process set out rquired a process of nomination and a thorough interview process based on agreed selection criteria, did it not?

GAA I think you need to wise up a bit. If you want to debate then debate, don't try to be smart all the time because it doesn't always work.
Even the 2008 panel acknowledge the Mulvey agreement was adhered to but not in the spirit of the law as far as they were concerned and feel their inexperience was shown up.
I made my inital point about the irony of emphasis on procedure now because even the harshest critic of the 2008 panel has been saying that that panel should have gone this route from the very start only to be told by the likes of you it couldn't be done. Now what should have been their first choice is probably their last because their options are close to used up.

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2009, 01:05:31 PM
Quotestill feel that if it came to another vote, Mc Carthy's appointment would be reaffirmed. I believe that all this talk about delegates not voting the way they were supposed to is exaggerated and that Mc Carthy's job is safe.

How do reckon it is being exaggerated? At least 3 divisions have come out expressing dissatisfaction with their delegates and the word on the street is that a number of clubs feel exactly the same. The CB are generally guaranteed around 20-30 votes regarless of what they propose - their own executive, the divisions and the universities along with some other groups, but the club members and now the divisional clubs seem to be finally getting their voices heard. How anyone can say it is being exaggerated is beyond me.

At the same time Zulu no one can measure any potential change. There is quite a large vote to overturn so Orangeman is correct to say he would be surprised if after another 'process' the situation became different.

orangeman

All or nothing for the 2008 panel it seems ??

The proposals included; the hurlers making themselves available for selection again, the addition of an extra county selector and member of McCarthy's backroom staff acceptable to all parties and a wholesale review of the systems in place in Cork GAA

Zulu

3 divisions unhappy with their delegate and strong rumours that a number of clubs feel likewise would suggest that many club members feel the CB have handled this badly. Most clubs, I'd imagine, don't want to knife Gerald but there seems little doubt that the CB are under immense pressure and rightly so. They have behaved in a manner that should shame any right thinking GAA man, they have used Cork hurling as a mechanism to reassert their own authority but have found the players to be of sterner stuff and now that the prospect of the Cork hurling team becoming also rans is now a reality the clubs are going to have their say.

QuoteAll or nothing for the 2008 panel it seems ??

As we've been telling you for months now that is the way it has to be, compromise with this CB only lasts until they see another opportunity to re-engage.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2009, 01:23:41 PM
3 divisions unhappy with their delegate and strong rumours that a number of clubs feel likewise would suggest that many club members feel the CB have handled this badly. Most clubs, I'd imagine, don't want to knife Gerald but there seems little doubt that the CB are under immense pressure and rightly so. They have behaved in a manner that should shame any right thinking GAA man, they have used Cork hurling as a mechanism to reassert their own authority but have found the players to be of sterner stuff and now that the prospect of the Cork hurling team becoming also rans is now a reality the clubs are going to have their say.

QuoteAll or nothing for the 2008 panel it seems ??

As we've been telling you for months now that is the way it has to be, compromise with this CB only lasts until they see another opportunity to re-engage.

I've been saying for months now that the strikers have lost sight of the real enemy - the real enemy is not Mc Carthy.

The strikers didn't bet on it going this far and found themsleves with nowhere to go. Bridges have been burnt - too much vitriol on al sides.