McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 19, 2009, 10:39:30 PM
http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=5858

Interview with Ray Ryan. I like the lad very good player, one of a handful who I think will stick around. Very level headed sensible lad.

Sounds like a really nice lad - very level as you say.

Where are the others going to go to if they don't stick around ?.  ;)

Zulu

More revelations in the Evening Echo.....

West Cork clubs want new vote

PRESSURE is mounting on the Cork County Board to hold a special convention of all clubs in the county to discuss the current hurling crisis. Following the revelation yesterday a number of clubs in Duhallow weren't happy with the stance taken by their board delegates in backing Gerald Mc- Carthy, comes the news today the Carbery Board have written to the exc utive of the county board seeking a special convention on the issue.
Their proposal is that this convention would have representatives present from every affiliated club in the county to discuss the growing conflict. Carbery PRO Donal Leahy
told the Evening Echo today it was the unanimous decision of their Monday night meeting to seek this course of action. "We feel that the situation is so acute that we are left with no choice but to make this call," he explained.
"With the threat by the Cork footballers to become involved at the end of the league and jeopardising the prospects of being involved in the championship, this thing has to be got moving. "We believe that all the clubs in the county should have a voice on this grave matter and hence our call for a special convention. The whole thing is just
dragging on and on and needs to be addressed.'' The two Carbery delegates voted with the county board at the vote of confidence in Mc- Carthy, but their delegates were not aware a vote would be taken on the night, or that Gerald was going to address the meeting. "That was the situation that night but, hopefully, now all clubs will get their chance to make their feelings known.''

Meanwhile, at the recent meeting of the Seandún Board a number of delegates voiced their disapproval at how their delegates voted. It was felt that the delegates were not mandated by the clubs how to vote. That seems to be the general trend emerging now across the county and the unrest in the divisions is significant. Vice-chairman Bob Ryan refused to comment today.

orangeman

Good news that they want a special convention / EGM so that this can be sorted out once and for all. The issue regarding Mc Carthy as manager won't change. Voting rights and other issues might be but Mc Carthy will stay on as manager.

It's almost March now and the strikers will have to wait till next year unfortunately.

dowling

quote author=Zulu link=topic=9876.msg485088#msg485088 date=1235090229]

PRESSURE is mounting on the Cork County Board to hold a special convention of all clubs in the county to discuss the current hurling crisis. Following the revelation yesterday a number of clubs in Duhallow weren’t happy with the stance taken by their board delegates in backing Gerald Mc- Carthy, comes the news today the Carbery Board have written to the exc utive of the county board seeking a special convention on the issue.
Their proposal is that this convention would have representatives present from every affiliated club in the county to discuss the growing conflict. Carbery PRO Donal Leahy
told the Evening Echo today it was the unanimous decision of their Monday night meeting to seek this course of action. “We feel that the situation is so acute that we are left with no choice but to make this call,” he explained.
“With the threat by the Cork footballers to become involved at the end of the league and jeopardising the prospects of being involved in the championship, this thing has to be got moving. “We believe that all the clubs in the county should have a voice on this grave matter and hence our call for a special convention. The whole thing is just
dragging on and on and needs to be addressed.’’ The two Carbery delegates voted with the county board at the vote of confidence in Mc- Carthy, but their delegates were not aware a vote would be taken on the night, or that Gerald was going to address the meeting. “That was the situation that night but, hopefully, now all clubs will get their chance to make their feelings known.’’

Meanwhile, at the recent meeting of the Seandún Board a number of delegates voiced their disapproval at how their delegates voted. It was felt that the delegates were not mandated by the clubs how to vote. That seems to be the general trend emerging now across the county and the unrest in the divisions is significant. Vice-chairman Bob Ryan refused to comment today.

[/quote]

Ok Zulu, so what are clubs saying? That the 2008 panel is right? That the county board is right? That Gerald McCarthy is right? You see there's nothing definitive in all this stuff you're putting on. How many clubs are questioning 'procedure'? And are they saying delegates would have voted one way, another way or abstained? It's all unclear but you're trying to present it all in a certain way hence the spin. Even what are 'some' the clubs seeking? Apart from a vote we have no indication as to what may or may not happen.
And if you think all this isn't spin quantify the number of clubs involved, what exactly they're objecting to, what they're proposing to do and what they hope to achieve.
There could be a possibility that some want their previously expressed position re-inforced. But if you come up with something substantial it would be helpful.
And by the way do you not think this emphasis on procedure now is a bit ironic.

Reillers

What are the chances after all of this that JOS will simply turn around at the next meeting and say that he allready said there would be no further discusion or action or whatever the direct quote was, on this topic.

What I would worry about is that with this vote, an open vote, we know who votes which way, if it's a secret vote we wont know.

This issue has existed for years in Cork and it's a pathetic disgrace. Maybe we are guilty of not getting up and doing something about it, but no one listens to any of us, any of the real members, the grassroots..etc because they are all too busy trying to please FM.
It's a disgrace and I know of a club that only found out that McCarthy was addresing the board by reading the paper, he'd know idea. And like I said earlier a lot of people didn't realise there would be a vote. The GAA in Cork are a bloody disgrace and like it says in the Indo that,
"When in fact, far from being extremists, they are the sanest people in the house."

Democracy at it's finest.

Maybe just maybe the 08 panel is right, like they have been in 02 and 07, but hell that would mean some would have to admit that they were wrong, God forbid that seems too much to ask for some people on here.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 20, 2009, 01:22:38 AM
quote author=Zulu link=topic=9876.msg485088#msg485088 date=1235090229]

PRESSURE is mounting on the Cork County Board to hold a special convention of all clubs in the county to discuss the current hurling crisis. Following the revelation yesterday a number of clubs in Duhallow weren't happy with the stance taken by their board delegates in backing Gerald Mc- Carthy, comes the news today the Carbery Board have written to the exc utive of the county board seeking a special convention on the issue.
told the Evening Echo today it was the unanimous decision of their Monday night meeting to seek this course of action. "We feel that the situation is so acute that we are left with no choice but to make this call," he explained.
"With the threat by the Cork footballers to become involved at the end of the league and jeopardising the prospects of being involved in the championship, this thing has to be got moving. "We believe that all the clubs in the county should have a voice on this grave matter and hence our call for a special convention. The whole thing is just
dragging on and on and needs to be addressed.'' The two Carbery delegates voted with the county board at the vote of confidence in Mc- Carthy, but their delegates were not aware a vote would be taken on the night, or that Gerald was going to address the meeting. "That was the situation that night but, hopefully, now all clubs will get their chance to make their feelings known.''

Ok Zulu, so what are clubs saying? That the 2008 panel is right? That the county board is right? That Gerald McCarthy is right? You see there's nothing definitive in all this stuff you're putting on. How many clubs are questioning 'procedure'? And are they saying delegates would have voted one way, another way or abstained? It's all unclear but you're trying to present it all in a certain way hence the spin. Even what are 'some' the clubs seeking? Apart from a vote we have no indication as to what may or may not happen.
And if you think all this isn't spin quantify the number of clubs involved, what exactly they're objecting to, what they're proposing to do and what they hope to achieve.
There could be a possibility that some want their previously expressed position re-inforced. But if you come up with something substantial it would be helpful.
[/quote]
There is no spin here Dowling.
The men who were supposed to go forward and represent their clubs and vote in the way they were told didn't, they voted and please FM.
Some abstained why, because they refused to vote, they didn't know that they were going to have to vote, some abstained because they were afraid of voting against FM.
There are a hell of a lot of clubs where I know their delegates voted against what they had been told. This has been going on for years. Even afterwards, after the 84 13 vote or whatever it was, there were too many people saying, we didn't vote that way, our club didn't back McCarthy and so many people were saying it.
It's been going on for years and everyone knows it.

And by the way you said earlier that RebelGAA was biased, of course they'd say it. It is a Cork hurling site, this is a Cork matter, people in Cork have different opinions on the Cork matter. No bias, it's not a county v county thing, it's an inner problem where people have split opinions.

Zulu

Well that's a matter of speculation, I think he'll be gone by championship myself, but the important point is that the way business is conducted in Cork is now coming to light for those outside of the county and indeed some within. The pressure must now be building on Frank and that can only be a good thing.

QuoteOk Zulu, so what are clubs saying? That the 2008 panel is right? That the county board is right? That Gerald McCarthy is right? You see there's nothing definitive in all this stuff you're putting on. How many clubs are questioning 'procedure'? And are they saying delegates would have voted one way, another way or abstained? It's all unclear but you're trying to present it all in a certain way hence the spin. Even what are 'some' the clubs seeking? Apart from a vote we have no indication as to what may or may not happen.

No not at all, the argument I always made was that the 'democratic process' wasn't that at all but was manipulated by FM and i believe that these revelations are proving this to be the case.

I don't see where the confusiion in all of this is, it seems clear from the newspaper articles that the delegates of Dunhallow, Carbery and Seandun all voted for Gerald and none of them were mandated to do so. That is a very large number of 'grassroot' GAA men and clubs who's opinion was misrepresented by their delegate, which is an absolute scandal and something which some us here suggested would happen (and did in the past). From what I hear you'll see this replicated in a number of other clubs who feel their delegate misrepresented their views. If there is spin being applied here it is by you in trying to imply that this maybe club members wanting their "previously expressed position re-inforced". Come on now, it is clear a lot of Cork GAA members believe their delegates didn't do their job.

Reillers

And ear to the ground there has been rumbles all day and something could be about to break, aparently they've been talks all day..what that is yet or with and about who..though a "source" (not always reliable) of mine says that the 08 players might be getting their gear back out. (RUMOURS MIGHT I ADD)
Among a few things apparently the Duhallow motion has been pased.

I don't know but the CB have been getting very very nervous and FM has hidden in a black hole.

All of this is speculation but there are a lot of people getting very exited and another load of people getting very nervous.

But RebelGAA is going 90 as well, the rumour mill is working over time. And it's anything from a complete revolt from the Cork clubs, to the players coming back..etc.

Something has happened if you believe what's being said.

I'm going to bed now, meeting in the morning, all of us are being called in, so I'll wait tomorrow to see what happens with te rumours and hope I still have a job in the afternoon.

youngfella

Pull hard and early

Tatler Jack

Irish Examiner Friday, February 20, 2009

Dramatic Croke Park intervention fails to end Cork impasse
By Michael Moynihan

THE long running Cork GAA conflict took another twist yesterday when a high-powered delegation from Croke Park held exploratory talks on Leeside with all parties involved in the dispute, but those discussions broke up late last evening without a resolution.

The GAA's director general Pauric Duffy and president-elect Christy Cooney held exploratory talks with Cork GAA officials, hurling coach Gerald McCarthy and members of the striking 2008 hurling panel at a Cork airport hotel last night. It is understood that Messrs Duffy and Cooney met separately with the three groups.

A player spokesman said that their representatives had attended out of courtesy to the two high-ranking GAA officials but added that there had been no real progress made yesterday, and that the players' planned meeting with club chairmen would go ahead next Sunday evening in the Maryborough House Hotel.

The discussions are the first to involve all sides in the bitter dispute, with the involvement of the 2008 player representatives seen as especially significant.

Gerald McCarthy has stated he is open to a resolution by consultation – though he also indicated last month that it was time to "move on" and to concentrate on the 2009 panel.

Cork County board chairman Jerry O'Sullivan has also called for talks, saying last week: "I wish to reiterate again the County Committee's and the team management's absolute desire to have the opportunity with the players involved to try to find a solution to the impasse, which can only be achieved by dialogue between all parties, and I again extend a sincere invitation to the players to engage in immediate talks," though he added at that time that Gerald McCarthy's position as Cork hurling manager was not up for discussion.

McCarthy was due to return to training with the 2009 panel after the death of his mother, Breda, but found himself involved in fresh talks with top GAA officials instead.

McCarthy was critical of GAA headquarters last week after earlier Croke Park attempts to intervene foundered on the absence of players from possible talks. McCarthy urged Croke Park to "tell it like it is" and explain why Central Council had been unable to kickstart all party talks.

Despite County Board attempts to dismiss the relevance of Sunday's planned meeting in the city, the striking players are receiving encouraging reports from a number of divisions, while there are suggestions that a number of clubs are at odds with the stand of their delegate at county board level.

The Carbery division in West Cork has called on the Board to convene a special convention of all clubs in the county to discuss the dispute.

"We feel that the situation is so acute that we are left with no choice but to make this call," said Carbery PRO Donal Leahy. "With the threat of the Cork footballers to become involved at the end of the league and jeopardising the prospects of becoming involved in the championship, this thing has to be got moving."

Meanwhile, Cork senior hurling clubs contacted by this newspaper have indicated that most of their chairmen would be attending the meeting with the 2008 panel on Sunday night.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 20, 2009, 01:38:38 AM
And ear to the ground there has been rumbles all day and something could be about to break, aparently they've been talks all day..what that is yet or with and about who..though a "source" (not always reliable) of mine says that the 08 players might be getting their gear back out. (RUMOURS MIGHT I ADD)
Among a few things apparently the Duhallow motion has been pased.

I don't know but the CB have been getting very very nervous and FM has hidden in a black hole.

All of this is speculation but there are a lot of people getting very exited and another load of people getting very nervous.

But RebelGAA is going 90 as well, the rumour mill is working over time. And it's anything from a complete revolt from the Cork clubs, to the players coming back..etc.

Something has happened if you believe what's being said.

I'm going to bed now, meeting in the morning, all of us are being called in, so I'll wait tomorrow to see what happens with te rumours and hope I still have a job in the afternoon.

They never went away you know !

orangeman

More good news.

A CHINK of light may have emerged in the four-month stand-off between the 2008 Cork hurlers and the Cork County Board over there appointment of manager Gerald McCarthy.

The relevant parties were understood to be preparing to meet for the first time in Cork last night after months of stalemate.

It is also thought that there was high powered involvement from Croke Park and some senior Cork hurling figures in brokering the sides to come together.

Whatever the outcome of the meeting it represents something of a break through as the 2008 hurlers had refused to sit down and talk with the Board or McCarthy since his reappointment in late October.

Attempts to get them to come together by the independent mediator Olann Kelleher failed last month

orangeman

Happy days !!

The current Cork hurling captain Ray Ryan has said that he is indebted to manager Gerald McCarthy for giving him the chance to play inter-county hurling.

Ryan said it was an honour for him to become the first captain of Cork from the Sarsfields club in 51 years.

The 27-year-old said there is loyalty to McCarthy among the squad because "they (the senior management) came looking for us. They gave us the call and we were happy to answer. We have them to thank for giving us our chance."

Ryan said 2008 squad members are "more than welcome to return" because everyone in Cork wants to see the best team on the field. The centre-back, who has been chosen for Munster's inter-provincial squad, also believes that the Cork public don't have anything against the 2009 squad for making themselves available.

"They don't have anything against us as players and as people because we are all in the same boat. I can understand their grievances but we all want to see the best Cork team playing."

He said because the 2009 squad have no previous inter-county experience, they will have to train "harder and more often" than the rest.

"As a group, we have to stick together. We do our training as a group and for us that is all that is happening," he said.

- Colm Keys

Reillers

I know better then to get my hopes up yet I let it happen anyway.

The thing about the 09 panel, the lad sounded honest and level headed represented himself well and all that jazz, but the whole interview was a bit surreal, but he most be the only one of us who isn't seeing the tv, newspaper, hearing it on the radio, surely now they know that they are just being used and are in fact almost delaying the process.

They were asked to play for Cork but imo didn't earn it, but I suppose someone had to. If they were to refuse to play things would get done a lot faster.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 20, 2009, 01:22:38 AM

The only irony is that we're full circle. The whole thing kicked off because the CCB wouldn't follow the mulvey procedures.