McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 11:17:10 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 10:56:03 PM
Zulu - you belong to a club - get the necessary number of clubs and call an EGM.

That's your right - I've said a good few times here now.

So go ahead and test it out.

And I've said it to you before, I'm not from Cork, besides you've just seen proof that Cork delegates aren't voting as mandated yet your answer is to go back and mandate you delegate. Cork GAA is dysfunctional, that is the point and it will take some time for it to sort itself out.

You can call an EGM - Don't underestimate it's power.

Zulu

I'm not involved with a club in Cork so I don't see waht calling an EMG in my own club would do ::) ::) ::)

QuoteI read Tommy Conlon's piece alright. But nothing new in Tommy's piece - just more of the same old rubbish about democracy. It doesn't even deserve comment on, it is such an amateurish, wishy washy piece of journalism. How does this man put the neck on him to even charge for this schoolboy stuff ??

Now that is wishy washy, what exactly do you disagree with and why?

QuoteWhen the government voted through the 8/9/10% public pension levy, was democracy working then ?? All constituencies have elected representatives, elected by the voters. There were public demonstrations today by the Garda / teachers etc. in protest.

Did the TDs carry out your mandate when they voted to take 8/9/10% off your salary

Delegates are meant to seek the views of their clubs and then vote as they are mandated if this doesn't happen then only the view of one man is presented not the views of his clubs members, that you are trying to defend this after arguing for months that the clubs had spoken and that was all that mattered beggars belief.

orangeman

Your club along with others can call for an EGM of the Cork CB  -

Conlon could write about what's going on with people's pension/ jobs / salaries etc - Conlon has been going on at length about FM for an awful long time so safe to say that he has an agenda here. Why doesn't he come out and say it ? Democracy isn't found in strikes or in the streets or pubs - he seems to think it is to be found in these places. That's what I disagree with.

I'm repaeting myself I know, but I think you'll find that the votes that were taken in the CB as past few weeks are fairly representative of the way most clubs feel.

Coming up with one example doesn't prove anything other than desperation to express the other view in spite of repeated defeats.
You can't keep asking for a rerun of the election after you've lost it several times in quick succession. At some stage, you have to face up to defeat, chew on it, go away and come back another day.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 11:18:50 PM
Reillers you and I both know that the 2008 panel would have been back in a flash if Mc Carthy had rolled over. They're in it for themselves - nothing at all to do with saving Cork hurling blah blah blah. They have been, would be and will be happy to play away even if Frank and all the structures remain in place.

If wanting the best for the IC team, if wanting to win the All Ireland at any cost, is them being in it for themselves then so be it. There are battles you fight that you know you might win and you know that you probably wont win. Trying to take down FM is one of those fights you probably wont win, read the article properly and you'll know why.

I read Tommy Conlon's piece alright. But nothing new in Tommy's piece - just more of the same old rubbish about democracy. It doesn't even deserve comment on, it is such an amateurish, wishy washy piece of journalism. How does this man put the neck on him to even charge for this schoolboy stuff ??

Did it ever occur to you for a second that he could be right, that the people on here saying it could be right, that the people on Rebel GAA who are saying it could be right, that people up and down Cork saying it could be right. Oh of course not it's against your opinion so it most be bullshit right? We're all wrong right?

When the government voted through the 8/9/10% public pension levy, was democracy working then ?? All constituencies have elected representatives, elected by the voters. There were public demonstrations today by the Garda / teachers etc. in protest.

Did the TDs carry out your mandate when they voted to take 8/9/10% off your salary ???

The grassroots are the sole reason for the GAA to be as great as it is today and to say that we shouldn't get a say and leave it up to a couple of men, who go against our views, because they are too busy trying to stay in FM's good books is pathetic. It's basically what you're saying here. These men are there to represent us, and they stopped doing that a long time ago.

Zulu

QuoteYour club along with others can call for an EGM of the Cork CB  -

Maybe I'm missing something here but how will the opinion of a non-Cork club have any impact on Cork GAA, so again I ask why would I get an EGM in my club.

QuoteI'm repaeting myself I know, but I think you'll find that the votes that were taken in the CB as past few weeks are fairly representative of the way most clubs feel.

How do you know, there is at least two delegates who have voted against the wishes of their clubs and according to at least two posters on rebelgaa there are another 2 deegates who are getting their marching orders beacause they voted aginst their clubs mandate, it seems fairly logical to presume there could be others.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 10:14:17 PM
Are we really expected to believe all the stories about delegates being madated one way and then voting another. One delegate actually seconded Honohan's motion - did he really think that that wasn't to get out ??

Which is it then?
Do you not believe these stories ? or
Do you not believe they thought they'd get away with it?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 11:18:50 PM
Reillers you and I both know that the 2008 panel would have been back in a flash if Mc Carthy had rolled over. They're in it for themselves - nothing at all to do with saving Cork hurling blah blah blah.

I know you've said this before and been asked to justify it a zillion times so you probably are fed up answering the question but humour me....

How do you reckon these guys are only "in it for themselves"?

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 07:31:35 PM
A poster on rebelgaa...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigbelly

we removed out county board delegate last night as he went against the mandate set out in a previous egm. he voted for gerald mccarthy against the mandate given by the club!!! this is the crux of the problem in cork gaa. the same thing has happened in other clubs. also for jerry o sullivan to come out and say that they will not have any discussion anymore on the most serious problem in the county is quite disturbing.

And taken from today's evening echo...club delegates in the Duhallow division are set to propose a secret ballot of all junior, intermediate and senior clubs on t

QuoteWHILE the Cork County Board backed Gerald McCarthy's position as manager last week, he issue. At the Duhallow board meeting on Monday, a number of club representatives declared themselves unhappy their county board delegates, Brian O'Loughlin and Richard Murphy, voted in favour of the motion of confidence in Gerald, and that Mr O'Loughlin seconded Bob Honohan's proposal to vote, despite not having an instruction from the clubs to do so.
A total of 17 junior clubs are represented at board level by the Duhallow delegates, and some cl felt that their views were not being considered. Following a motion rom Freemount's John 'Flynn, a vote on the issue will now be taken at the next Duhallow meeting on Monday, the day before
the next board meeting. The junior reps in Duhallow will now discuss the situation with their clubs, and if they agree the barony's county board delegates will be mandated to propose at Tuesday's board meeting a secret ballot of every single club in Cork be taken on McCarthy's position.
"A secret ballot takes place for the election of county board officials," said one delegate who attended Monday's Duhallow meeting. "The issue has got to the stage where it's so big now that every club deserves to have its say." This is the type of proposal the striking 2008 hurlers were hoping to get backing for at Sunday's meeting with club chairmen in the Maryborough Hotel. However, even if the Duhallow delegates propose a motion for a county-wide secret ballot, it is not certain that it would be allowed,  particularly when board chairman Jerry O'Sullivan stated at the last
meeting he would not be taking any further motions on the crisis. When contacted, county board vice-chairman Bob Ryan said that he was unaware of this new development: "I have no knowledge of it. If I had heard anything I could comment on it, but I haven't."

Democracy indeed.......

So what have we got here? Someone on the 'rebel' site saying one delegate was removed, hardly the most impartial source. And if it's true we don't know how the delegate was instructed to vote.
And then from a news column we are told there is to be a secret ballot about having another secret ballot because a number of club reps were unhappy, although we don't know how many.
Have I got that right there?
Mindblowing stuff!!

realrebel

Quote from: heffo on February 18, 2009, 10:45:51 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 18, 2009, 09:41:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 09:40:06 PM
I'm delighted that "a number" of the 2008 panel did attend today - I suppose the others had work / family commitments !

lads i just want to say there wasnt one player at the funeral yesterday was talking to gerald he said he got one phone call off a player to say he was at work
but this player and 4 more did attend the removal fair play to them for that

RedandGreenSniper

Lads, its not right to be discussing the funeral in those terms, regardless of what conclusions you think you might be able to draw from it.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Zulu

Quote from: dowling on February 19, 2009, 10:56:05 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 07:31:35 PM
A poster on rebelgaa...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigbelly

we removed out county board delegate last night as he went against the mandate set out in a previous egm. he voted for gerald mccarthy against the mandate given by the club!!! this is the crux of the problem in cork gaa. the same thing has happened in other clubs. also for jerry o sullivan to come out and say that they will not have any discussion anymore on the most serious problem in the county is quite disturbing.

And taken from today's evening echo...club delegates in the Duhallow division are set to propose a secret ballot of all junior, intermediate and senior clubs on t

QuoteWHILE the Cork County Board backed Gerald McCarthy's position as manager last week, he issue. At the Duhallow board meeting on Monday, a number of club representatives declared themselves unhappy their county board delegates, Brian O'Loughlin and Richard Murphy, voted in favour of the motion of confidence in Gerald, and that Mr O'Loughlin seconded Bob Honohan's proposal to vote, despite not having an instruction from the clubs to do so.
A total of 17 junior clubs are represented at board level by the Duhallow delegates, and some cl felt that their views were not being considered. Following a motion rom Freemount's John 'Flynn, a vote on the issue will now be taken at the next Duhallow meeting on Monday, the day before
the next board meeting. The junior reps in Duhallow will now discuss the situation with their clubs, and if they agree the barony's county board delegates will be mandated to propose at Tuesday's board meeting a secret ballot of every single club in Cork be taken on McCarthy's position.
"A secret ballot takes place for the election of county board officials," said one delegate who attended Monday's Duhallow meeting. "The issue has got to the stage where it's so big now that every club deserves to have its say." This is the type of proposal the striking 2008 hurlers were hoping to get backing for at Sunday's meeting with club chairmen in the Maryborough Hotel. However, even if the Duhallow delegates propose a motion for a county-wide secret ballot, it is not certain that it would be allowed,  particularly when board chairman Jerry O'Sullivan stated at the last
meeting he would not be taking any further motions on the crisis. When contacted, county board vice-chairman Bob Ryan said that he was unaware of this new development: "I have no knowledge of it. If I had heard anything I could comment on it, but I haven't."

Democracy indeed.......

So what have we got here? Someone on the 'rebel' site saying one delegate was removed, hardly the most impartial source. And if it's true we don't know how the delegate was instructed to vote.
And then from a news column we are told there is to be a secret ballot about having another secret ballot because a number of club reps were unhappy, although we don't know how many.
Have I got that right there?
Mindblowing stuff!!

First off there are at least two posters on rebelgaa saying there delegate voted against their clubs wishes, and I work off the basis that what posters post is true otherwise you could question the validity of everything posted purely on the basis that it could be a lie.

Second the newspaper article proves that the views of a large number of clubs were not represented by their club delegate, regardless of the opinions of the various clubs they should all be unhappy because the man meant to be representing their view didn't do so. It shows a great degree of immaturity on your behalf that you can't acknowledge the gross abuse of power by these delegates.

dowling

Zulu there's not a lot to what you posted, you've just put a spin on it and even the quotes you put up are spins. Nothing is quantified so to come to your conclusion is a bit over the top.
"...a large number of clubs..". And where did it say that.
It's nothing to do with maturity although such remarks from yourself and others are to be expected.

Zulu

Nonsense, if you read my previous posts you'd know that Duhallow is a division and that the junior & intermediate clubs are represented as a whole by the Duhallow delegate so when he went on a solo run having been instructed by the clubs he represented not to, he wasn't representing numerous clubs but only himself.

And what spin have I put on it? I simply posted up an evening echo article that tells us all what is actually happening down there. Is this enough to change your opinion? clearly not but it speaks volumes that you can't at least accept it raises questions about the validity of the democratic process in Cork. But no you're right, it's all spin.

Tatler Jack

QuoteNonsense, if you read my previous posts you'd know that Duhallow is a division and that the junior & intermediate clubs are represented as a whole by the Duhallow delegate so when he went on a solo run having been instructed by the clubs he represented not to, he wasn't representing numerous clubs but only himself.

Just to clarify Intermediate clubs have their own delegate to the CB. It is junior clubs that are represented by the divisional delegate. 

Reillers

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=5858

Interview with Ray Ryan. I like the lad very good player, one of a handful who I think will stick around. Very level headed sensible lad.