McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Quote from: The GAA on February 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM
Totally irrelevent. Richie Connor was one of the greatest players to don an offaly jersey.

Sorry, how many votes did the clubs take in this situation ?

Apples and Oranges and you know it.

QuoteNot according to his own players, who are a fair bit better positioned to know than you,

Players are the best judge of management since when exactly ?

His own players lined out for him last weekend and did a good job against Tipperary in Semple.
Why have the county board got players on the selection committtee then?

Bit of miscommunication going on here is there ?

Your after quoting the Offaly situation and assumed I agreed with the decision, now your suggesting I agree with the county boards decision to have players on the selection committee.

I do not and if CCB has to answer for anything, its for allowing players on the selection committee at all. Its a stupid idea which was never going to work and should be abolished immediately.

The GAA

Quote from: sligeach on February 16, 2009, 11:15:09 AM
Quote from: The GAA on February 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM
Totally irrelevent. Richie Connor was one of the greatest players to don an offaly jersey.

Sorry, how many votes did the clubs take in this situation ?

Apples and Oranges and you know it.

You'll have to explain what you're trying to say here?
my point is that playing record is irrelevent when it comes to coaching. not sure what club votes have got to do with that.

Quote from: sligeach on February 16, 2009, 11:15:09 AMNot according to his own players, who are a fair bit better positioned to know than you,

Players are the best judge of management since when exactly ?
[/quote]

In a better place than anyone i'd say. you think a county board officer who sees feck all training sessions and knows nothing about coaching himself is in a better place to judge? Not that they CCB were interested in McCarthy's coaching ability anyway. They knew the players didn't want him so that was good enough for them.

Quote from: sligeach on February 16, 2009, 11:15:09 AM
Why have the county board got players on the selection committtee then?

Bit of miscommunication going on here is there ?

Your after quoting the Offaly situation and assumed I agreed with the decision, now your suggesting I agree with the county boards decision to have players on the selection committee.
[/quote]

Again i think you're confused. I never mentioned offaly in relation to this. you announced that briadly players should have no hand in the appointment of a manager. I'm saying, if the CCB agree with that then why have they got players on the selection committee?

sligeach

Quote from: The GAA on February 16, 2009, 11:22:03 AM
You'll have to explain what you're trying to say here?
my point is that playing record is irrelevent when it comes to coaching. not sure what club votes have got to do with that.

Nice nitpick. Howabout you look at Gers managerial record then ?

And you are comparing the Offaly and Cork situations when they are not the same thing.

QuoteIn a better place than anyone i'd say. you think a county board officer who sees feck all training sessions and knows nothing about coaching himself is in a better place to judge? Not that they CCB were interested in McCarthy's coaching ability anyway. They knew the players didn't want him so that was good enough for them.

So you want the players to be able to pick the manager ?
Again i think you're confused. I never mentioned offaly in relation to this. you announced that briadly players should have no hand in the appointment of a manager. I'm saying, if the CCB agree with that then why have they got players on the selection committee?

Because the players threw their toys out of the pram last year to get that right. The CCB should have never caved in.

The GAA

ok - look at his managerial record at least we agree that its vaguely relevent.

where did i compare the cork and offaly situations?

i don't want the players to pick the manager. i do believe they should be consulted though. i certainly don't agree with old men with no access to the modern game and how its coached or played picking managers.
i was simply pointing out that broadly supporting the CCB cannot be reconciled with complaining that the players are on the selection committee

Zulu

QuoteHere are FACTS.

Ger McCarthy is one of the best managers in the country, if he wasn't he wouldn't have gotten near the Waterford or Cork job.

This isn't a fact, nor next nor near one, I can't say with any confidence whether he is or not myself but he won nothing with Waterford or this Cork panel so there is nothing supporting a claim that Gerald is one of the best coaches in the country.

QuoteSo you want the players to be able to pick the manager ?

No, but it appears entirely sensible to me that the adults who have to work with the manager and who, as a group, have worked with at least 100 managers in the previous 5-10 years should have some input into the process and a number of counties agree with this.

Reillers

Quote from: sligeach on February 16, 2009, 08:42:37 AM
Jaysus such an amount of rubbish here.

Reading comments about Ger McCarthy here by some people you'd think he never seen a hurl in his life hes that bad.  ::)

Here are FACTS.

Ger McCarthy was one of the greatest players to ever don the Cork jersey.
Ger McCarthy is one of the best managers in the country, if he wasn't he wouldn't have gotten near the Waterford or Cork job. Is he the best ? No.

The people here slating him for been a "terrible" coach should be ashamed of themselves.

Another simple point is this. Regardless of how bad Ger is or how much the players don't want him to manage, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with them and it never should have anything to do with players.

That is plain and simple and as long as the players try and force their power into the decision making process they are finished. Nevermind CCB for a minute, the rest of the Country won't have players dictating to democratically elected officials in the GAA.

If the players somehow did win this and won the right to choose their manager (which is EXACTLY what they are looking for) then Cork should be banned from the organisation.

Was, was a great player (and is a legend for that) and WAS a good manager (both of which aren't fact but opinion) but he has struggeld clearly over the 2 years with the modern game. And his decisions, style of play, his choices when it came to team selection and subs and his trainng methods back that up, that he doesn't know how to coach in today's game. Like I said, if you could do your job well 20 years ago does that mean you could still do it well now and even if you couldn't does that mean you should be kept around because you could do it well back then. A lot of things have changed over the years and it's no shame to admit that managers like Gerald (and people like the fossils in the CB) couldn't change with it (and in the CB's case, wouldn't.)
He's not done much to prove himself at all in the 2 seasons, nothing that says he was a good manager. And to be honest, when it comes down to it, the great managers know when they're finished, when their time is up with  the team and they simply walk away, unlike Gerald, who is delusional thinking he can still work with these players.

The players have to be managed by the manager, it affects them 100%. These lads are giving up most of their time for this all year, they are sacrificing a lot. They are the ones it affects, it's got everything to do with them. Now should a player be able to pick the manager, no, and that's not what the players are trying to do either. But if a squad (30 people) who have been managed by him for 2 seasons turns around to the so called men in charge and tells them that it's not working out and it hasn't been for a long time, and that they don't want to play for him anymore, that should be listened to because at the end of the day, they are the ones if affects, they are the ones who are best placed to know aren't they?

They're not looking for the right to pick the manager they didn't even want to be on that panel when it came to selecting managers. All they want to do is play hurling and trust that the CB don't go out of their way to piss off the players, and do everything in spite of them. They want to trust that the CB wont put out a man that they specified they didn't want to play for after they told what would happenened over the 2 seasons. They would love nothing more to have a CB that works with the players and makes the right decisions and the right calls for Cork, not having to look over their shoulder incase the board do more inspite of them, because that's what they're doing, they have been and still are trying to get rid of the so called ring leaders from 2002, our best players. What the hell does that tell you. That the decision to reappoint McCarthy was not about his coaching abilities, but purely to get rid of our best players.

Is that right to you because that sure as hell isn't putting the best interests of Cork GAA first. 

cornafean

Lads, any chance perhaps of following the 2008 panel's example, and suspending this row for a day or two as a mark of respect to McCarthy's late mother?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Zulu

A poster on rebelgaa...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigbelly

we removed out county board delegate last night as he went against the mandate set out in a previous egm. he voted for gerald mccarthy against the mandate given by the club!!! this is the crux of the problem in cork gaa. the same thing has happened in other clubs. also for jerry o sullivan to come out and say that they will not have any discussion anymore on the most serious problem in the county is quite disturbing.

And taken from today's evening echo...

QuoteWHILE the Cork County Board backed Gerald McCarthy's position as manager last week, club delegates in the Duhallow division are set to propose a secret ballot of all junior, intermediate and senior clubs on the issue. At the Duhallow board meeting on Monday, a number of club representatives declared themselves unhappy their county board delegates, Brian O'Loughlin and Richard Murphy, voted in favour of the motion of confidence in Gerald, and that Mr O'Loughlin seconded Bob Honohan's proposal to vote, despite not having an instruction from the clubs to do so.
A total of 17 junior clubs are represented at board level by the Duhallow delegates, and some cl felt that their views were not being considered. Following a motion rom Freemount's John 'Flynn, a vote on the issue will now be taken at the next Duhallow meeting on Monday, the day before
the next board meeting. The junior reps in Duhallow will now discuss the situation with their clubs, and if they agree the barony's county board delegates will be mandated to propose at Tuesday's board meeting a secret ballot of every single club in Cork be taken on McCarthy's position.
"A secret ballot takes place for the election of county board officials," said one delegate who attended Monday's Duhallow meeting. "The issue has got to the stage where it's so big now that every club deserves to have its say." This is the type of proposal the striking 2008 hurlers were hoping to get backing for at Sunday's meeting with club chairmen in the Maryborough Hotel. However, even if the Duhallow delegates propose a motion for a county-wide secret ballot, it is not certain that it would be allowed,  particularly when board chairman Jerry O'Sullivan stated at the last
meeting he would not be taking any further motions on the crisis. When contacted, county board vice-chairman Bob Ryan said that he was unaware of this new development: "I have no knowledge of it. If I had heard anything I could comment on it, but I haven't."

Democracy indeed.......

orangeman

The 2008 panel would now all about democracy alright.

Reillers

Lads it's McCarthy's mothers funeral today in case ye didn't know.

Zulu

Ridiculous comment, you ranted about how the clubs had spoken while some of us tried to tell you Cork was a dysfunctional 'democracy', now you have proof of club delegates who went against the wishes of their clubs, and in the case of Duhallow, numerous clubs and all you can come up with is that trite comment. At least have the maturity to accept that this does indicate some question need to be asked about how Cork goes about it's business.

Edit: Fair enough, I didn't realize that, though this is a development that is worth noting and as long as Gerald is left out of the discussion I don't think it is a major issue. Nevertheless I'll leave it up to each poster to make what they want of this news and I'll comment no further myself.

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 08:38:46 PM
Edit: Fair enough, I didn't realize that, though this is a development that is worth noting and as long as Gerald is left out of the discussion I don't think it is a major issue. Nevertheless I'll leave it up to each poster to make what they want of this news and I'll comment no further myself.

True, a major development, and I suppose it's all right once we leave Gerald out of it.

orangeman

How many times do the 2008 panel have to get beaten in the CB meetings until it sinks in ???

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 18, 2009, 08:35:33 PM

Any reports on how it went ? Let's hope that the 2008 panel left their grievances aside and attended the removal and the funeral in the same way they've all banded together as one group in the strike.

I'm sure that being decent, honourable and having the right moral framework, that they all paid their respects by going to the removal / wake and funeral.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 18, 2009, 09:15:36 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 18, 2009, 08:35:33 PM

Any reports on how it went ? Let's hope that the 2008 panel left their grievances aside and attended the removal and the funeral in the same way they've all banded together as one group in the strike.

I'm sure that being decent, honourable and having the right moral framework, that they all paid their respects by going to the removal / wake and funeral.

..It was a funeral.