McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

The Dublin players went on for the year. Its the same situation Zulu. They could have gone on strike. But they know we wouldn't tolerate it. They'd be told in no uncertain terms to get the boat. Paddy Christie the then captain stood up and said none of them may like the manager but they had a responsibility as players to performto the best of thier ability on the pitch regardless of who was in charge.

Zulu

I don't see why amateur players should sacrifice so much if their own CB are actively working against them, this is the bottom line IMO. I'd perfer the players representing my county to go on strike than to play for a CB like Cork's, at least I'd know what the problem is rather than paying good money to see a talented bunch of lads underperform because my CB is screwing them over.

INDIANA

The county board doesn't play for them Zulu. Thats what i don't like about the current situation Zulu. The Cork players are allowing themselves to hide behind Gerald the "shite" coach as an excuse for being techincally inferior to Kilkenny at this stage. Some of it may be Gerald's fault, but not all of it and thatsone of the key things I don't like about it. I wouldn't have allowed the Dublin footballers in 2004 to use Tommy Lyons as an excuse for losing to Westmeath. As much as I couldn't stand Lyons, and believe me I've no time for the guy the Dublin players are responsible for getting beaten that day. exact same as the Cork hurlers getting beaten by kilkenny last year.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 05:57:27 PM
The county board doesn't play for them Zulu. Thats what i don't like about the current situation Zulu. The Cork players are allowing themselves to hide behind Gerald the "shite" coach as an excuse for being techincally inferior to Kilkenny at this stage. Some of it may be Gerald's fault, but not all of it and thatsone of the key things I don't like about it. I wouldn't have allowed the Dublin footballers in 2004 to use Tommy Lyons as an excuse for losing to Westmeath. As much as I couldn't stand Lyons, and believe me I've no time for the guy the Dublin players are responsible for getting beaten that day. exact same as the Cork hurlers getting beaten by kilkenny last year.
It wasn't about the KK loss, it was about 2 seasons of crap. Even though Gerald is a shite coach..Do these players look like they're hiding to you? They are confronting the CB, telling them to stand up.
The Dublin footballers if they had to put up with what the players in Cork hard to put up with and did nothing, well I'd think lesser of them and they are the ones who are hiding.

You give out to me about saying you don't get it, but if you did you'd know what this isn't just about one loss to KK, you'd see that, but at the end of the day you just don't seem to get it no matter how much it's broken down to you and Dowling and co.

Zulu

Indiana I don't think Cork would have beaten Kilkenny last year regardless of who coached them but Roscommon, Galway and Cork football teams are all examples of what a new manager and a more positive camp can achieve. Waterford footballers or Meath hurlers won't win an AI any time soon but their respective CB's should be providing them with the best set up possible so they can reach their potential. IMO the Cork hurlers given the right support could win another AI but even if that is not the case the CB should still be supporting them with the right backroom staff. Whether Gerald is a good or bad coach doesn't matter, all that matters is he is not the best man for this squad and that is all the CB should have been concerned with.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 06:11:28 PM
It wasn't about the KK loss, it was about 2 seasons of crap. Even though Gerald is a shite coach..Do these players look like they're hiding to you? They are confronting the CB, telling them to stand up.
The Dublin footballers if they had to put up with what the players in Cork hard to put up with and did nothing, well I'd think lesser of them and they are the ones who are hiding.

You give out to me about saying you don't get it, but if you did you'd know what this isn't just about one loss to KK, you'd see that, but at the end of the day you just don't seem to get it no matter how much it's broken down to you and Dowling and co.

Reillers a strike in Dublin wouldn't be tolerated thats why the players did nothing. I personally know several members of the Dublin football team on a personal basis and I wouldn't go on a march in my back garden if they went on strike.They are treated like royalty and regardless of the manager they are still repsonsible for their own performances on the pitch. You start getting players interfereing with county boards its a recipe for disaster.
We're 4 months into it Reillers and we're still at stalemate. Cork is going to disappear off the map,  and those players may never play for Cork again. they aren't goingto get what they want. the first rule of business is when you can't get what you want- you necogiate or you walk away. Thats the choice facing the Cork players. There is right and wrong on all sides here, so its time for all parties to sit down and come up with a solution.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 06:23:07 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 06:11:28 PM

Reillers a strike in Dublin wouldn't be tolerated thats why the players did nothing. I personally know several members of the Dublin football team on a personal basis and I wouldn't go on a march in my back garden if they went on strike.They are treated like royalty and regardless of the manager they are still repsonsible for their own performances on the pitch. You start getting players interfereing with county boards its a recipe for disaster.
We're 4 months into it Reillers and we're still at stalemate. Cork is going to disappear off the map,  and those players may never play for Cork again. they aren't goingto get what they want. the first rule of business is when you can't get what you want- you necogiate or you walk away. Thats the choice facing the Cork players. There is right and wrong on all sides here, so its time for all parties to sit down and come up with a solution.

Even if they're right?
I suppose the feelings from Cork fans towards their hurlers (and footballers) isn't there with the Dublin players, I don't know.
Cork were disappearing anyway because of FM who is singlehandedly destroying the game. These lads were the light, they are the reason why young lads pick up hurleys and footballs.
What's their to negotiate? They want one thing and there's no negotiating on that part, either he's gotten rid of or he's not.
What sollution could possibly be found when the CB don't want to find one, so they wont look for one.
How can you fix that?
Why would the players want to play for a CB who intentionally go out of their way to put them down and to work against them.

INDIANA

Then walk away Reillers thats the only card they've left. No-one in this dispute is going to get all of what they want at this stage. Its a question of negoiation other wise cork hurling is finished completely. If the players walk away they might actually win the public argument. By blindly forging ahead in a battle they aren't going to win, they are the ones who are copping all the flak and trying to win a battle they haven't a hope of winning. There isn't a hint of cuteness about the players approach at all.
Had they walked away 4 months ago by simply declining the offer to join the 2009 squad they'd probably have won the argument at this stage.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 07:13:12 PM
Then walk away Reillers thats the only card they've left. No-one in this dispute is going to get all of what they want at this stage. Its a question of negoiation other wise cork hurling is finished completely. If the players walk away they might actually win the public argument. By blindly forging ahead in a battle they aren't going to win, they are the ones who are copping all the flak and trying to win a battle they haven't a hope of winning. There isn't a hint of cuteness about the players approach at all.
Had they walked away 4 months ago by simply declining the offer to join the 2009 squad they'd probably have won the argument at this stage.

But they're right, and they shouldn't walk away because of that,

The GAA

Surely they have walked away? The only way this can be prolonged is if there are people calling for and actively looking to get them back. the county board and mccarthy have already clearly said its finished with, so whats the debate?

The GAA

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 01:23:39 AM
::) ::) you won't get your day in Croker because the players are Selfish and out for their own interests

Just once i'd like someone from the other side to call these type of remarks for what they are.

The GAA

Sorry Indiana, i know you've addressed this but i can't find it:

Could you outline the reasons why you were fully behind player power removing the manager in offaly, against it in cork and would never back it under any circumstances in dublin?

INDIANA

because the offaly setup was worse than a bad junior b team. That was Richie Connor's responsibility and he should have seen to it. the Cork hurlers and the Dublin footballers lack for nothing. They don't even bring gear with them to training or home for training thats all taken care of for example.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 07:13:12 PM

But they're right, and they shouldn't walk away because of that,

Just digging a bigger hole for themselves.Had they walked away 4months and simply faded into the background the Cork public would be begging them to come back already.  Sometimes being confrontational isn't the best policy. Sometimes its better to let the other side think they've won.

The GAA

So you don't have a general rule about it... just when you decide you think the set up is good enough and they should get on with it?

superficial things like gear, etc all add up to maybe 1% of a championship performance. coaching can be as much as 50%

at what stage do you consider the standard of coaching a relevent factor?