McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 12:58:11 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 12:37:34 AM

We lost, it was humiliating to our greatest rivals, and our only goal was to keep the score down, these lads these 09 lads, no matter how hard they try, they wont be excepted not by the fans and not by some of the other players in other counties if you believe what's being said. They will suffer unbelievably because of this, and you have to say, they can't say they didn't know it was coming.

So I should be proud, proud of what, of not being as humiliated as I thought we'd be because Tipp were shite? Ya I'm jumping around all ready.

You sound like a bloody baby now!!! read the above and please tell me what it sounds like? turning on these guys who are doing what every young hurler dreams of - playing for their county and giving it their all. You should be proud because they tried and gave it their all, yes they lost but they gained rspect tonight. You sound like a spoilt child, so you won't get your big day in Croke Park in September but to be honest even with all your players back you wouldn't get within 10 points of the Cats.
Do you know how many players are in front of them? How many players have earned jerseys ahead of them but refuse to play because this fight is bigger then them and they know they'd be selfish and do more harm then good by giving the CB an out, an escape, or else because they knew they didn't earn the jersey and would be seen like they did and would get no respect for it. They are the 5th string Cork team. Why, because so many players have refused it.
They are doing more damage then good. And they are beginning to see that now.
They tried..yay. That will get us to Croke Park in September. This isn't a morale victory this is another humiliating loss to an understrength, poor Tipp team who showed no interest in the game till the last 15 minutes.
I don't give a flying monkeys about whether the 08 team could get within 10 points of KK or not, this 09 team couldn't even get within 10 points of Dublin and that alone is humiliating, and I don't even want to think about what the score would be if this 09 team played KK.
We wont get our day in Croker as we do, because of Gerald's pride and FM's ego we'll be fighting for survival in the Christy Ring Cup..but hey, at least they tried.

And Gerald as well, insulted a hell of a lot of people tonight, when asked about the 1000/2000 at the match compared to the 10-12000 at the march, he said that the only real supporters in Cork were the ones at the game and that there were always a couple thousand on Patricks Street anyway.
What the hell does he think he's doing.

INDIANA

The fight is not bigger than Cork fielding a strong team this year thats the problem Reillers. For the good of Cork hurling they should disband and let the young lads go back. The 2008 Cork players have achieved  nothing since going on strike absolutely nothing. If they really cared about Cork hurling as you say they do, then thats what they should do. They aren't going to beat Frank, the sooner they accept that the sooner Cork can get back to business. They wouldn't be the first players to retire because of a disagreement with a manager, happens in my club every day of the week. Thats life. You can get on with some managers , you don't get on with others. There is plenty of managers I played under that I didn't like same as a lot of posters here.
They could have walked away 6 months ago with their reputations intact as some of the best players of the modern era. This is all they will ever be rememebered for now regardless of the outcome . Some legacy.

EddieMerx

::) ::) you won't get your day in Croker because the players are Selfish and out for their own interests, they have turned their backs on their county. The reason other players won't play is because the striking players are making it impossible for them to play, if they were to play and if the 08 players came back they would make life impossible for these lads. The Country is in recession, people are losing their jobs and savings and yet for some reason 30 Cork players are so out of touch with the real world they believe that they are hard done by! The GAA has played a major part in driving national spirit through the hard times and these players have received benefits from playing for their county. I for one believe these players are dishonoring the men who came before them, Men who played for the love of their county, men who washed their own gear, men who walked for miles to training and most importantly men who sought no gain or rewards for playing for their county.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 01:23:04 AM
The fight is not bigger than Cork fielding a strong team this year thats the problem Reillers. For the good of Cork hurling they should disband and let the young lads go back. The 2008 Cork players have achieved  nothing since going on strike absolutely nothing. If they really cared about Cork hurling as you say they do, then thats what they should do. They aren't going to beat Frank, the sooner they accept that the sooner Cork can get back to business. They wouldn't be the first players to retire because of a disagreement with a manager, happens in my club every day of the week. Thats life. You can get on with some managers , you don't get on with others. There is plenty of managers I played under that I didn't like same as a lot of posters here.
They could have walked away 6 months ago with their reputations intact as some of the best players of the modern era. This is all they will ever be rememebered for now regardless of the outcome . Some legacy.

Gerald should have walked away he was never any good at the job. Even the people who back him don't think he was a good manager. He should have done what every other manager does he should have walked away when the players clearly weren't happy.

And what's young to you? Seriously, how old are the young to you? What age would you say young is?
If these players walk away from this and let FM win we might as well pack the entire thing away, because it will kill Cork GAA, it'll finish it off. No young lad is going to pick up a hurley and be inspired by Gerald Mac's views on the players not being able to Veto. It's dying on it's feet anyway, this will be a nail in the coffin if the players leave.
12000 people (more) still believe they are legends, a hell less think the same about Gerald Mac, at the end of the day, if he stays, he'll be rememberd as the idiot who got Cork relelgated to the Christy Ring Cup. He has no legacy left, everytime people think of him now, it's about this. The players really don't care what anyone thinks of them, if they didn't they wouldn't have done this 3 times. They are willing to stand up for what they believe in, no matter what anyone else thinks. And that's the way that will end.

This is a sorry sorry mess and if the players leave it the way it is, it'll be the final nail in the coffin of Cork GAA.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 01:29:03 AM

The players really don't care what anyone thinks of them, if they didn't they wouldn't have done this 3 times. They are willing to stand up for what they believe in, no matter what anyone else thinks. And that's the way that will end.

This is a sorry sorry mess and if the players leave it the way it is, it'll be the final nail in the coffin of Cork GAA.

I only hope that is not true otherwise they really do believe that their interests are above those of the people of the county, the county and the GAA itself.

moysider

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 12:32:12 AM
Reillers you should be proud of those guys who went out and gave it their all, as for role models... well I don't think the striking spoilt brats are example setters.

They knew exactly what they are getting into. The real team are not playing for good reasons, reasons why Cork have refused to play, footballers and hurlers, 3 times in 8 years, this is about revenge from the CB and we all know it.
This is about what's right for Cork GAA and leaving FM destroy it is not what's right and these kids, these young lads, are doing more harm then good.

They played hard tonight, but Tipp were awful. I know lads on the 09 team, I know them well, and they tried hard, but they are beggining to wonder why they are there and begining to think about walking away. They know they are part of the problem.
If they walked away this would be solved a hell of a lot faster and believe me, some are thinking about that.

We lost, it was humiliating to our greatest rivals, and our only goal was to keep the score down, these lads these 09 lads, no matter how hard they try, they wont be excepted not by the fans and not by some of the other players in other counties if you believe what's being said. They will suffer unbelievably because of this, and you have to say, they can't say they didn't know it was coming.

So I should be proud, proud of what, of not being as humiliated as I thought we'd be because Tipp were shite? Ya I'm jumping around all ready.

What do you want Reillers? What kind of manager/ coach do you want and what do you want him to do? Who do you want? Obviously Allen and O Grady did nt get out on a winning note for nothing and I can tell you wont be back. So it s a players patsy right? Elders in the squad call the shots, monkey with badges puts out the cones and and a manager that makes sure the water bottles are filled.
What do you want to happen?

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 01:23:39 AM
::) ::) you won't get your day in Croker because the players are Selfish and out for their own interests, they have turned their backs on their county. The reason other players won't play is because the striking players are making it impossible for them to play, if they were to play and if the 08 players came back they would make life impossible for these lads. The Country is in recession, people are losing their jobs and savings and yet for some reason 30 Cork players are so out of touch with the real world they believe that they are hard done by! The GAA has played a major part in driving national spirit through the hard times and these players have received benefits from playing for their county. I for one believe these players are dishonoring the men who came before them, Men who played for the love of their county, men who washed their own gear, men who walked for miles to training and most importantly men who sought no gain or rewards for playing for their county.

They're selfish why? Because they have to stand up to the bully again. If this was for selfish reasons they would have been gone months ago. But it's not. They were pushed out the door by FM, he held it open and pushed them. That's what Gerald's reappointment was about. No one thinks he's a good manager, and the CB knowling, against the players whises and knowing what would happen if they did, reappointed a man who the players said was the one person they wouldn't work with. All for one reason.
I know players who are refusing to play and believe me, none of them have heard from the players except one time, and that was to see if they could mention them in the press conference, and they are bloody stuborn lads I know. Some aren't playing because they don't want to get involved in the dispute, other because they know they haven't earned it and would never be taken sersiously. But you don't know but you bitch on and on. They've recieved benefits, as have a hell lot of other players in other counties. Is that saving them in their jobs, no. Some, like all of us are in danger of loosing theirs. This bullshit about not wanting to play for Cork for the right reasons are unfound, untrue and unfair. And you have no proof to sugest otherwise. These players have given a hell of a lot and taken a hell lot of grief for it. Deane said that the strike last year, waiting for to get the final arbitrition was more stressfull then waiting for his test results, so I can only imagine how stressful this year is. None of them are enjoying this, unlike the CB, who created this situation and knowingly so.
They have given a hell lot of their time at IC and club level, they have travelled up and down the country with the twinning programe with the GPA. But f**k it, no apparently all for personal gain.
It's insulting to suggest and you've no proof either. I could say the same about every single KK, Tipp, Waterford, Tyrone, Kerry..etc player. But it's not said about them. If this was all about personal gain and reward, why do this, something that could well risk it all..I'm sure you'll come up with some reason for it.
They have given just as much as the people who wash the jerseys and make the food..etc. And everyone but Gerald and his, who has worked with these lads players, and that includes the likes of Donal O Grady, can only speak highly of them. But hey, that most be all lies too right because God forbid the players are actually good people who care, who will fight for "gach uile liathroid" for every single second of every single day.  

Reillers

Quote from: moysider on February 15, 2009, 01:39:04 AM
Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 12:32:12 AM
Reillers you should be proud of those guys who went out and gave it their all, as for role models... well I don't think the striking spoilt brats are example setters.

They knew exactly what they are getting into. The real team are not playing for good reasons, reasons why Cork have refused to play, footballers and hurlers, 3 times in 8 years, this is about revenge from the CB and we all know it.
This is about what's right for Cork GAA and leaving FM destroy it is not what's right and these kids, these young lads, are doing more harm then good.

They played hard tonight, but Tipp were awful. I know lads on the 09 team, I know them well, and they tried hard, but they are beggining to wonder why they are there and begining to think about walking away. They know they are part of the problem.
If they walked away this would be solved a hell of a lot faster and believe me, some are thinking about that.

What do you want Reillers? What kind of manager/ coach do you want and what do you want him to do? Who do you want? Obviously Allen and O Grady did nt get out on a winning note for nothing and I can tell you wont be back. So it s a players patsy right? Elders in the squad call the shots, monkey with badges puts out the cones and and a manager that makes sure the water bottles are filled.
What do you want to happen?
How about a man who can do his job. Players have to earn the jersey and proof their worth to keep it, they have to deserve it, to keep it. The same should apply for the manager. If a player plays poorly he's dropped, if a manager does badly and there is someone better to replace him, he too should be gotten rid of.
I want a CB who spends their time doing their actual job, not thinking up plans for revenge, a CB who works with the players, not against them and that doesn't plot the downfall of our best ones. I want FM gone. He is destroying the game in this county and he's getting away with it, all because he has so much power.
Donal O Grady and John Allen, and everyone but Gerald and some of his current team, have only had good things to say about these players. And that tells me something, whether you get it or not is another question completley.

If that happened, I'd be happy. I'd be over the moon..what's really pathetic though, is that's the norm in every other county. And that would be a privalge in this one. Something we don't have.

We don't have that, so tell me, is that too much to ask for. Should our players have to refuse to play to get that? Is that right? At the end of the day, that's what the players are asking for.
All of ye, answer me this..Yes or no, is that too much to ask for, is that too much to want? Is it something that they should have to do what they're doing to get?

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 01:39:18 AM

They're selfish why? Because they have to stand up to the bully again. If this was for selfish reasons they would have been gone months ago. But it's not. They were pushed out the door by FM, he held it open and pushed them. That's what Gerald's reappointment was about. No one thinks he's a good manager, and the CB knowling, against the players whises and knowing what would happen if they did, reappointed a man who the players said was the one person they wouldn't work with. All for one reason.
I know players who are refusing to play and believe me, none of them have heard from the players except one time, and that was to see if they could mention them in the press conference, and they are bloody stuborn lads I know. Some aren't playing because they don't want to get involved in the dispute, other because they know they haven't earned it and would never be taken sersiously. But you don't know but you bitch on and on. They've recieved benefits, as have a hell lot of other players in other counties. Is that saving them in their jobs, no. Some, like all of us are in danger of loosing theirs. This bullshit about not wanting to play for Cork for the right reasons are unfound, untrue and unfair. And you have no proof to sugest otherwise. These players have given a hell of a lot and taken a hell lot of grief for it. Deane said that the strike last year, waiting for to get the final arbitrition was more stressfull then waiting for his test results, so I can only imagine how stressful this year is. None of them are enjoying this, unlike the CB, who created this situation and knowingly so.
They have given a hell lot of their time at IC and club level, they have travelled up and down the country with the twinning programe with the GPA. But f**k it, no apparently all for personal gain.
It's insulting to suggest and you've no proof either. I could say the same about every single KK, Tipp, Waterford, Tyrone, Kerry..etc player. But it's not said about them. If this was all about personal gain and reward, why do this, something that could well risk it all..I'm sure you'll come up with some reason for it.
They have given just as much as the people who wash the jerseys and make the food..etc. And everyone but Gerald and his, who has worked with these lads players, and that includes the likes of Donal O Grady, can only speak highly of them. But hey, that most be all lies too right because God forbid the players are actually good people who care, who will fight for "gach uile liathroid" for every single second of every single day.  

But whats the end game reillers? The end of the Gaa in Cork? Because thats where its heading. Its not a question of being old , but the reality is the manager was put in place and the county board aren't going to get rid of him. We've all had bad managers who never should have been appointed, why don't they grin and bear it for a year? If it means not ripping the county apart, surely thats a fair sacrifice , one year

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 15, 2009, 01:58:13 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 01:39:18 AM

But whats the end game reillers? The end of the Gaa in Cork? Because thats where its heading. Its not a question of being old , but the reality is the manager was put in place and the county board aren't going to get rid of him. We've all had bad managers who never should have been appointed, why don't they grin and bear it for a year? If it means not ripping the county apart, surely thats a fair sacrifice , one year
They've grined and put up with it for 2 years. And I honestly think most would have done the same if he was reappointed correctly, but he wasn't. All because the CB wanted rid of the players.
I don't know.
Some things are worth fighting over, according to the players, this one was. They've been right before and done well with the results of the fights that they've faught and they proved just, and felt the same about this one as well. When they feel that strongly about something they had to go for it. I almost wish at this stage they had put up with it, but they are a stubborn lot like if they believe in something strongly there's no turning them.
And maybe they were just tired and didn't want to face another mediocre waste of a year. I don't know. But I wish I had the answers.
But you talk about young players on the Cork team, how old do you think is young. It's not a trick or convrontational question, I'm just curious. What's young?

Tatler Jack

QuoteSee this is where people who don't know, the likes of you, OM, Indiana..etc fall short.

Reillers I have no problem with you having a different opinion to me but this "you dont know" argument is pretty childish. I am quite clued in to what is happening in Cork GAA and have been for many years. Despite the fact that you have produced no detail on CB shortcomings that effect the county team I and others here do not say "you don't know" even though  many of your posts suggest a poor understanding of how the GAA works in Cork and other counties (and a nagging doubt that you have even any significant involvement at club level)

QuoteThey've grined and put up with it for 2 years. And I honestly think most would have done the same if he was reappointed correctly, but he wasn't.

And what would have constituted appointed "correctly" and who would have decided on that? If this was the case why didn't the players make this clear at their press conference and why have they invested so much energy in ridiculing Gerald - ever since the first interviews with Kieran Shannon and Ben O'Connor's interview with Diarmuid O'Flynn.

Grear post Moysider on the clash of cultures and generations and a lot of truth in it. It is indeed quite funny how Cork hurling cognescenti ridiculed Galway and Clare and then copied them. It is also a fact that many supporters (some of whom now support the players) were highly critical of the short passing style and wanted a return to more direct hurling. This is the reason the CB went for a manager like Gerald but from day one the senior players did not want him as they wanted to stay with the style they had been using.

Reillers

Bullshit, I'm sorry but that is bullshit. People like you who pretend to understand, like you say that this really hasn't anything to do with FM at all just proves that you no little about the workings of Cork GAA, yet you continue to go with the idea that you do, despite the fact that Frank Murphy is one of if not the most hated figure in Cork GAA and the very reason for 2002, 2007 and 2009.
You say you know and then come out with that, which says very little, and stop trying to undermine me just because you don't agree with me and because you think it will add more value to your argument. I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

dublinese

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 09:56:44 AM
I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

Out of interest, how did your club vote during the week? Will representatives of your club be attending this evening? And lastly do you feel you have had the chance to brief your club representatives of your support for the former panel?

INDIANA

Bullshit, I'm sorry but that is bullshit. People like you who pretend to understand, like you say that this really hasn't anything to do with FM at all just proves that you no little about the workings of Cork GAA, yet you continue to go with the idea that you do, despite the fact that Frank Murphy is one of if not the most hated figure in Cork GAA and the very reason for 2002, 2007 and 2009.
You say you know and then come out with that, which says very little, and stop trying to undermine me just because you don't agree with me and because you think it will add more value to your argument. I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

Sorry Reillers that just downright bloody arrogant. Your comments above carry little weight with that sort of tone and you're rapidly losing the argument here.

Reillers

Quote from: dublinese on February 15, 2009, 10:00:59 AM
I am very involved with my club and I have been for a long time, I love my club despite some of the way it's ran and some of the people in it.

Out of interest, how did your club vote during the week? Will representatives of your club be attending this evening? And lastly do you feel you have had the chance to brief your club representatives of your support for the former panel?
How did they vote? They bloody suggested the vote.