McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

QuoteThis isn't about McCarthy anymore, it never really was.

Well if it was never about McCarthy Reillers why did the players go to such length to denigrate his coaching abilities. If it was all about the CB then why did we not have some action from the players prior to the manager selection process.  Surely the shortcomings of the CB existed last August as much as today.!!

No Reilers - the players and their supporters need to create this impression that here is a CB out to ruin eveything. As I pointed out before there are shorcomings in the GAA in Cork that exist for lots of reasons- and I concede there are things that the CB could improve on. But there are similar shortcomings in lots of other counties  and we do not have strikes. And the charges against the CB are very general in nature - very little specifics and certainly very little that impacts on the senior hurling team.

The players action is completely disproportinate to any grievance they have. If there are other issues in Cork it is up to the clubs to initiate change. This is not about supporting FM much as the players and their supporters want to portray it as such. No amount of exaggeration and ranting Reillers will change the fact that it is clubs who should be responsible for change through the existing structures not a hurling team who initially said they were striking because of the would not play under Ger but now have changed the goalposts as they can whip up more emotion by making it a FM issue.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 14, 2009, 08:18:02 PM

Well if it was never about McCarthy Reillers why did the players go to such length to denigrate his coaching abilities. If it was all about the CB then why did we not have some action from the players prior to the manager selection process.  Surely the shortcomings of the CB existed last August as much as today.!!

No Reilers - the players and their supporters need to create this impression that here is a CB out to ruin eveything. As I pointed out before there are shorcomings in the GAA in Cork that exist for lots of reasons- and I concede there are things that the CB could improve on. But there are similar shortcomings in lots of other counties  and we do not have strikes. And the charges against the CB are very general in nature - very little specifics and certainly very little that impacts on the senior hurling team.

The players action is completely disproportinate to any grievance they have. If there are other issues in Cork it is up to the clubs to initiate change. This is not about supporting FM much as the players and their supporters want to portray it as such. No amount of exaggeration and ranting Reillers will change the fact that it is clubs who should be responsible for change through the existing structures not a hurling team who initially said they were striking because of the would not play under Ger but now have changed the goalposts as they can whip up more emotion by making it a FM issue.

Well said Tatler Jack. Goalposts shifting between FM and McCarthy when it suits. Sure the 'one man' a few pages back was McCarthy, but then it's FM after that. All so that the power can eventually be wrestled from the CCB for the Cloyne control freak and his cronies.

0-8 to 0-5, never used to be keen on cheering a Cork team, but am making an exception here. Hope the footballers get the beating that gutless lot deserve tomorrow though.

Tatler Jack

12 to 6 now but Cork have missed some easy chances. The team look better than I thought considering they are not physically developed and not up to the fitness level of county hurling. But considering the short time he has had them Ger has not done a bad job - considering he is a useless coach!!!

INDIANA

2-15 to 0-9. very creditable performance from the 4th string. I'd agree with Tatler , if Gerald was such a crap coach how can he get that much out of numbers 75-90. Maybe if 1-15 went back they might surprise themselves.

realrebel

right lads here is the proper link to the petition
the other failed
new one please sign if you support gerald mc carthy

http://petitiononline.com/germac09/petition.html

EddieMerx

Cork certainly put in a good show today! Ger Mac seemed to have his tactics right and the players are giving it their all, Cork people should be very proud of this bunch of players and the GPA should be ashamed.

marym

Well  even if the 08 panel do come back, would say a few would have problems getting their place. Johnson ,O Sullivan and indeed the goalie looked quite good. They worked so hard you could only be proud of them.

RedandGreenSniper

Des Bishop is after saying at the IFTA's that he was wearing a red bow tie in support of the Cork (08) players. A seminal moment in the dispute ::)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Reillers

I'm sorry but this is the problem apparently is great to loose what was what 21 to 9 points. Gerald is a bad manager, and they still lost to a much weakend Tipp team and the Tipp lads weren't the most motivated you'd find. It's still a massive loss but hey at least they played. That's the way it's going to be. That'll be a massive motivation for young kids, go play like these lads, you'll get hammered but hey at least you're playing (for a backwards currupted board, doing us all proud) and what will loosing by 40 to KK be a credible preformance or what about 30 to Galway, each of which will probably be, like Tipp a 2nd or 3rd string.
A loss is still a loss and that was a big loss. And Tipp tonight were awful, really awful, they only started playing in the last 15 mins. And I cannot believe what Gerald said after the match, disgrace.
A Cork hurling team playing with one objective, to keep the score down. It's pathetic. But I'm sure according to Gerald and the CB it's what's best.
It is quite sad that some people will see this as a moral victory. Would Gerald ever do what's right, swallow his pride before he humilates us any more then he has done all ready.

These lads can play hurling, they can play the game, and some of them about 5 I think should be there or there abouts for the panel, but what every loss will be credible.
But loosing like this, hearing Dublin saying it'll be embarasing to loose to us, that's humiliating. To see Tipp not putting 100% in because they didn't want the score to be that high. That's humiliating. But heh, at least they're playing. The young lads tried and worked hard but at the end of the day, as expected, they lost, and that will be the story of the season and each time Gerald will come out with, they're still learning, very proud of them..blah, blah, blah, all because he's to proud to stand down and to admit to himself what EVERYONE in this county knows, that he is a crap manager and shouldn't nor does he deserve to, get the job again for 2 years. It's a joke, all of this is a joke.

I hope Gerald is fuckin proud of himself.

dublinese

I think you'll find that every other county in Ireland is glad that Cork are fielding a team. The way Cork's non participation manipulated promotion and relegation issues in the League last year was a disgrace.

EddieMerx

Reillers you should be proud of those guys who went out and gave it their all, as for role models... well I don't think the striking spoilt brats are example setters.

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on February 15, 2009, 12:32:12 AM
Reillers you should be proud of those guys who went out and gave it their all, as for role models... well I don't think the striking spoilt brats are example setters.

They knew exactly what they are getting into. The real team are not playing for good reasons, reasons why Cork have refused to play, footballers and hurlers, 3 times in 8 years, this is about revenge from the CB and we all know it.
This is about what's right for Cork GAA and leaving FM destroy it is not what's right and these kids, these young lads, are doing more harm then good.

They played hard tonight, but Tipp were awful. I know lads on the 09 team, I know them well, and they tried hard, but they are beggining to wonder why they are there and begining to think about walking away. They know they are part of the problem.
If they walked away this would be solved a hell of a lot faster and believe me, some are thinking about that.

We lost, it was humiliating to our greatest rivals, and our only goal was to keep the score down, these lads these 09 lads, no matter how hard they try, they wont be excepted not by the fans and not by some of the other players in other counties if you believe what's being said. They will suffer unbelievably because of this, and you have to say, they can't say they didn't know it was coming.

So I should be proud, proud of what, of not being as humiliated as I thought we'd be because Tipp were shite? Ya I'm jumping around all ready.

moysider

I was amazed by Eugene McGee s suggestion on Setanta that a possible solution was bringing in a coach that was accaptable to the players while Gerald remained as manager. Eugene McGee and naieve usually dont appear in the same sentence.

I think the bottom line in the dispute is coaching. Gerald already has a good cv as a coach but the players obviously dont like his style. So really style is the bottom line. As if one of the finest exponents of the finer skills of the game would accept a slasher with badges and fitness drills to shunt him aside to booking hotels and ordering blazers for the squad. On his appointment it was obvious he was going to turn the clock back and return to the classic hurling style. With players who had won AI s it was always going to be a dangerous departure but he should be commended for his convictions. I m by birthplace mainly a football man but I, like most, take an interest in the small ball and did more so in the past because in recent years I m convinced the skill levels have gone down as fitness, athleticism and workrate have taken over.. Gerald McCarty was a class act and probably the most accomplished Cork player since Ring. If I was asked about the best Cork players I ve seen I d say Gerald, Charlie, Cummins, Fenton, JMB, Cashman, McCurtin, Tony O Sullivan, John Fitzgibbon,O Leary. Dean. Not all great athletes but they had all great wrists/ hand -eye co-ordination.

Gerald obviously wanted to realign the style of Cork hurling. With his convictions he would have been a hypocrit not to do so. Of course every game evolves and hurling is no different. Fans mostly just want a successful team. Current players just want to win as many games as they can and to hell with overhead pulling and ground hurling.

I m convinced this problem is nothing to do with Frank, county boards appointment proceedures( should an appointment be a popularity contest and should  players have a veto?) or Geralds ability to coach. It s a stand- off of styles.  Its Romanticism V Modernism. Modernism will win in the end. Not necessarily the best outcome though. These Cork players will pass through. Gerald wont get many more chances to preach his gospel. How many of the players will have made the impression as a player that Gerald has? How many will contribute as much when their playing careers are done? I must say I admire Gerald for sticking to his convictions. These are not the actions of a selfish man. In a lot of minds his great legacy will be tarnished by this. But there s no way you can cater for the way people think.  But he  could have chosen not to involve himself in this reform- because indeed that is what it is. Instead he could have contented himself by grumbling into his pint like old traditionalists tend to do. He had nothing to prove to anybody. In fact he could have taken the expedient path of managing this team to play in the same style they did with O Grady and Allen( both great coaches?).Short puck outs and hand passing that Cork people ridiculed Galway for in late 80s. That would be have been the wise move by Gerald. Appease the players and he d never have been in this situation. But this was never just about winning AIs for this man. Both he and Cork have already won those. He wanted to win them playing the way Ring played and others made a very good fist of playing too. Funny how the fundamentals of a dispute get all fuzzy by spin and propaganda. Nobody wants to pinch the elephant in the room. Probably only in many years from now will this stand off be recognised for what it really was.

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 14, 2009, 08:18:02 PM

See this is where people who don't know, the likes of you, OM, Indiana..etc fall short.
Gerald was a bad manager and will continue to be at IC level. And the issue was always at the way he was reappointed. If he had been appointed correctly I think that some might have retired but others might have bit their tounges for what probably would have been a year.
But there has always been an undercurrent, that began in 2002, there. Underneath every single problem Cork have had. 2002, 2007 and now 2009, FM is at the route of it.
We don't need to create the impression that the CB are ruining everything because they are and hell RealRebel will probably tell you the same thing, to be honest if he doesn't I'll be baffled, because every Cork fan on each side of the fence will admit that the GAA in Cork is in ruins, not just at IC level and that is down to the board.
Think about it, there isn't another CB in the country who has a man with that much power as FM, and there isn't a CB in the country that would reappoint a man who the players say, specificly they cannot and will not play under and told them what would happen if he was reappointed.
Use your head. That was not for the good of Cork GAA. Give me a logical reason about how Cork would profit from that.
Because I can only think of one reason why he was reappointed that way, purely for revenge. There isn't a person in the county, that I know of anyway, even Gerald backers, who think he's a good manager and every man and his dog thought he'd be gone last season.
If you think that the decisions the CB make have very little impact on these players then you really are talking threw your hole, because that is bullshit.

The players are doing this because of the way in which the CB reappointed Gerald and they said because of that they wouldn't play under him. Gerald then personalised it and made it all about him.
They never changed goalposts there was just fog in front of it that media believers fell for.
This is and always has been about the CB and has been since 2002. If you had any sort of knowledge at all about Cork GAA you'd know that.
But clearly from your posts, you don't.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 15, 2009, 12:37:34 AM

We lost, it was humiliating to our greatest rivals, and our only goal was to keep the score down, these lads these 09 lads, no matter how hard they try, they wont be excepted not by the fans and not by some of the other players in other counties if you believe what's being said. They will suffer unbelievably because of this, and you have to say, they can't say they didn't know it was coming.

So I should be proud, proud of what, of not being as humiliated as I thought we'd be because Tipp were shite? Ya I'm jumping around all ready.

You sound like a bloody baby now!!! read the above and please tell me what it sounds like? turning on these guys who are doing what every young hurler dreams of - playing for their county and giving it their all. You should be proud because they tried and gave it their all, yes they lost but they gained rspect tonight. You sound like a spoilt child, so you won't get your big day in Croke Park in September but to be honest even with all your players back you wouldn't get within 10 points of the Cats.