McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

AZ - They cork players would not have been in line for any "payment" personally for upholding the deal they had signed up to as GPA members

AZOffaly

Quote from: Reillers on February 12, 2009, 05:55:07 PM
I don't know about the Powerade thing, even though I've seen them drinking it on the pitch more then once.
And
As for the "that's great news" it's been said 100 times that Donal Og was conveniently misquoted. I really don't trust a word that comes out of the CB's mouth about the players.

Did ya see the article from Ga in the Echo Realrebel?

How was he misquoted Reillers? What did he actually say? Obviously the Donal Og thing is related to this dispute, but I can't understand the relevance of the Powerade thing or the Iarnroid Eireann thing, other than as an attempt to portray the players in as poor a light as possible. In fairness it's effective, but I still thing the Co. Board knew exactly what would happen when GM was imposed on the players.

This is ever more obviously a 'get back in your box' exercise.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 04:18:41 PM

so, what your saying in reply to being asked to clarify how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infersn official GPA intervention i the dispute, is:

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
What will happen if the weekend meeting achieves nothing for the 2008 panel? Will they say that's it over and walk away or make themselves available or will they say the thousands of marchers justifies them continuing their fight? If it's the latter what would be their next course of action? Another march perhaps? A petition of high profile Cork people? Wait on the footballers? Or even ask the footballers to strike immediately? Picket the county matches? Try to use the GPA and its membership perhaps? What seems most logical to you if they want to carry on?

You're happy with that answer?

"Looks like the GPA could be on the verge of entering this dispute in a more offical capacity."

That's what I wrote, don't know where you're getting your stuff.
And yes I'm reasonably happy with that outline of what could or might happen. There may be something else the 2008 panel have in mind, maybe another press conference, I can't be absolutely definite but there are no absolutes in life.
What do you think might happen next?

you and i are not debating what might happen next.

you have outlibed a possible future scenario as your logic in clarifying how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infers official GPA intervention in the dispute?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2009, 05:58:03 PM
I don't know about the Powerade thing, even though I've seen them drinking it on the pitch more then once.
And
As for the "that's great news" it's been said 100 times that Donal Og was conveniently misquoted. I really don't trust a word that comes out of the CB's mouth about the players.

How was he misquoted Reillers? What did he actually say? Obviously the Donal Og thing is related to this dispute, but I can't understand the relevance of the Powerade thing or the Iarnroid Eireann thing, other than as an attempt to portray the players in as poor a light as possible. In fairness it's effective, but I still thing the Co. Board knew exactly what would happen when GM was imposed on the players.

If it's in the minutes of the meeting, I'd like to hear  a flatout denial he didn't say it..

orangeman

And

Can you post please Reillers ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 05:56:08 PM

AZ - They cork players would not have been in line for any "payment" personally for upholding the deal they had signed up to as GPA members

Do GPA players who appear in commercials etc not get an individual 'bonus' as well? I thought they did.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply it was of direct financial benefit, but what it did do was undermine the arrangement that the Cork Co. Board had in place, which was for the county as a whole, rather than for a group of players/individual players. They were wrong to threaten to 'walk off' if they received a powerade bottle. That should have been between the GPA and the GAA as authors of rival, directly competitive deals.

In short, the players on playing duty for Cork are representatives of the GAA in that county, and by extension the County Board. They are not entitled, in my opinion, to have directly contradictory sponsorship deals with other agencies which jeapordise the deals the GAA has in place for it's county teams (as opposed to individual, non competing sponsorship they may have).

The GAA

Those who appear in the ads get something but that might be one cork man out of 30.

you have the time line wrong in terms of undermining agreements in place. the gpa / candc arrangements predates any of the more recent county board deals. coke and lucozade targetted the county boards to try and out manaouvre candc after they saw the success of the gpa deal.

They had already promised their backing to one deal and its not fair for the county board to try to rent them out on a deliberately conflicting commercial deal

passedit

QuoteThis is ever more obviously a 'get back in your box' exercise.

indeed

"that's great news"

it's all about context really.

If you were to say Orangeman has just made another post on this thread and I responded "that's great news". What would you think I meant?

As for the powerade thing, I'm puzzled, everybody here seems to be treating it as 'news'. I seem to recall it being done to death at the time or am I imagining things.

Which deal was done first?
Don't Panic

realrebel

ya reillers
i saw what gardiner said nothing new
he is trying to get the chairmen on his side
whats going to happen if a lot of them dont turn up or vote for them
whats going to happen then

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 06:06:57 PM

its not fair for the county board to try to rent them out on a deliberately conflicting commercial deal

Maybe the county board were trying to do their job and offset some of the considerable expense involved in 'setting the bar in terms of preparation' and were more concerned about that than certain individuals attic conversions or house extensions?

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2009, 05:58:03 PM
And

I'll have to go look for it, but he was really pissed off by it.

http://www.city.ie/south/shows/channel-south-news/ He says it at the start of the third video.

There is no relevance to the Powerade or Iarnroid Eireann thing, they are just nitpicking trying to make the palyers look bad. They don't like them.
And they are stirrers and will do anything to make the players look bad and I think that is a perfect example.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 05:58:52 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 04:18:41 PM

so, what your saying in reply to being asked to clarify how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infersn official GPA intervention i the dispute, is:

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
What will happen if the weekend meeting achieves nothing for the 2008 panel? Will they say that's it over and walk away or make themselves available or will they say the thousands of marchers justifies them continuing their fight? If it's the latter what would be their next course of action? Another march perhaps? A petition of high profile Cork people? Wait on the footballers? Or even ask the footballers to strike immediately? Picket the county matches? Try to use the GPA and its membership perhaps? What seems most logical to you if they want to carry on?

You're happy with that answer?

"Looks like the GPA could be on the verge of entering this dispute in a more offical capacity."

That's what I wrote, don't know where you're getting your stuff.
And yes I'm reasonably happy with that outline of what could or might happen. There may be something else the 2008 panel have in mind, maybe another press conference, I can't be absolutely definite but there are no absolutes in life.
What do you think might happen next?

you and i are not debating what might happen next.

you have outlibed a possible future scenario as your logic in clarifying how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infers official GPA intervention in the dispute?

Sorry GAA but it's all about what happens next. I don't see any need to send this letter out to anyone else on a purely informative basis as there's nothing new in it. From that perspective it's logical to conclude a deeper motive and my conclusion would be that the possibility of more/offical - you pick to suit - involvement from the GPA is more likely.
Sending out the letter has to relate to something and if all the information is already out there you have to question the purpose of it.

orangeman

Statement of Jerry O'Sullivan, Cork county board chairman Tuesday 10th February 2009

" This group of players have taken to saying that this Board is dictated to by a few and yet when it's in the same situation in reverse in their own case, they get highly indignant and take great exception to any such suggestion. Yet they can say that this board is readily dictated to by members of the executive."

Tatler Jack

What is expected from the meeting with the chairmen.  Do the OhAters expect that the chairmen will support a motion calling on Ger to resign or will there be a motion calling on the players to enter talks with CB and Ger Mac. How  will the meeting be organised and who will chair it. And what if all clubs are not represented - then each side will claim that the result is invalid. I am in two minds about such a meeting - if it helps to resolve the  issue then fine but it is a bit arrogant of the players to click their fingers now and expect clubs to meet them when they have turned down every offer of talks with those they should be talking to.

By the way will the media be allowed to attend.?

orangeman

Statement of Ger Fitzgerald Cork selector :

" We did a fitness test in Middleton two years ago and we had a situation where some lads, who been in gyms for the previous 2 to 3 years, failed to bench the standard weight. That's just a symptom of the fact that these lads are putting out the perception that they are very porfessional but in fact we would say they have an a la carte view. They pick and choose what they want."