McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 12, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
GAA, with respect, you're either very, very naive or just enjoy sparring.
What will happen if the weekend meeting achieves nothing for the 2008 panel? Will they say that's it over and walk away or make themselves available or will they say the thousands of marchers justifies them continuing their fight? If it's the latter what would be their next course of action? Another march perhaps? A petition of high profile Cork people? Wait on the footballers? Or even ask the footballers to strike immediately? Picket the county matches? Try to use the GPA and its membership perhaps? What seems most logical to you if they want to carry on?
And before you reply think about it.

Hold on there chief. We're discussing here how the communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels does or does not infer an official GPA intervention i the dispute.

What has where this dispute goes next or to whom got to do with that?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:56:41 PM
But do you accept also that there are occasions where four figure sums are quoted through their agents for medal presenting ceremonies ?

I have no evidence of that, have never spoken to anyone who claims it and find it far fetched at best.

there are players in every county who inflate what they want as expenses for these appearances and i'm sure it has happened in cork as well as tyrone.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 03:56:41 PM
But do you accept also that there are occasions where four figure sums are quoted through their agents for medal presenting ceremonies ?

I have no evidence of that, have never spoken to anyone who claims it and find it far fetched at best.

there are players in every county who inflate what they want as expenses for these appearances and i'm sure it has happened in cork as well as tyrone.

Correct.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 04:10:12 PM
GAA, with respect, you're either very, very naive or just enjoy sparring.
What will happen if the weekend meeting achieves nothing for the 2008 panel? Will they say that's it over and walk away or make themselves available or will they say the thousands of marchers justifies them continuing their fight? If it's the latter what would be their next course of action? Another march perhaps? A petition of high profile Cork people? Wait on the footballers? Or even ask the footballers to strike immediately? Picket the county matches? Try to use the GPA and its membership perhaps? What seems most logical to you if they want to carry on?
And before you reply think about it.

Hold on there chief. We're discussing here how the communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels does or does not infer an official GPA intervention i the dispute.

What has where this dispute goes next or to whom got to do with that?

Everything, that's why you try to work out things logically!

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 04:14:16 PM
Correct.

Thats why i posted it.

It's a useful habit

The GAA

so, what your saying in reply to being asked to clarify how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infersn official GPA intervention i the dispute, is:

You're happy with that answer?

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 12, 2009, 04:18:41 PM

so, what your saying in reply to being asked to clarify how you think that this communication from the 08 panel to the other county panels infersn official GPA intervention i the dispute, is:

You're happy with that answer?

"Looks like the GPA could be on the verge of entering this dispute in a more offical capacity."

That's what I wrote, don't know where you're getting your stuff.
And yes I'm reasonably happy with that outline of what could or might happen. There may be something else the 2008 panel have in mind, maybe another press conference, I can't be absolutely definite but there are no absolutes in life.
What do you think might happen next?

orangeman

Well for starters the young lads will get an awful hammering on Saturday night !

They'll be lucky to keep it respectable -would 25 points be respectable considering Dublin beat them by 9 and should have beat them more ???

AZOffaly

Lads, apologies, but in a day or so I've missed about 600 pages of verbal ping pong. Did anyone see the statements by various members of the county board today in the Indo? They were made after the Tuesday evening meeting and some very interesting/inflammatory statements made.

Frank Murphy apparently had notes from the selection committee meetings (3 of them!! I thought there was just one) where initially Donal Og said, in reponse to a question about the outgoing management team that 'in fairness they gave it their best shot.' That's damning with feint praise I suppose, but the second meeting, where they were informed that GM and co were throwing their hat back in the ring was 'This is good news, and great'.  ???

On the third meeting they voiced opposition and asked why they were reversing their position they said 'This was a mistake'.

Another member (Pearse Murphy Treasurer) gave a very strange example of a sponsorship deal with Coca-Cola/Powerade that the players vetoed in 2007. They said they would 'walk off' if a bottle was brought on during a match.

Another product's bottles had to be used, although Powerade was the drink in them, and Coca Cola pulled out of the deal, obviously.

That sort of stuff doesn't reflect well on the players. Is it true does anyone know?

orangeman

Here it is AZ - Shocking stuff.

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 02:15:39 PM
Statement of Pearse Muprhy County Treasurer :

About 6 years ago, Frank Murphy negotiated a deal with Coca Cola for Powerade and water and unlimited supply of products available for all Cork teams. There was also financial reward for the Board which was spent - and in the accounts that I presented to you here over successive conventions, you are well aware of the type of money spent on preparing teams.
We ran into trouble in 2007 with this drinks situation. We were put in a situation that if the drink Powerade was brought into the field of play the team would not have taken it, or, if it was done, the players would walk off.Another product had to be used. What was contained in those bottles, I have no doubt, was Powerade, drunk out of the bottle of another producer.

The Coca Cola sponsorship that we lost, we lost it at the end of 2007 and we incurred a € 10,000.00 penalty from our sponsors. We were told that if we insisted on using this, that other sponsorships negotiated by this board would also be torpedoed. These are the facts of the matter.

I told you at the last board meeting that the cost in the provision of drinks and the loss of national sponsorship was € 75,000.00 in 2008. Having lost the Coca Cola sponsorship, that didn't deter our people going to find another sponsor, but a sponsorship was lost that would have meant that the board lost € 150,000.00 over 3 years. "

AZOffaly

That's what I saw Orangeman, I was summarising. The question I was asking was whether it was true or not? Have ye been discussing it already?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2009, 05:29:40 PM
That's what I saw Orangeman, I was summarising. The question I was asking was whether it was true or not? Have ye been discussing it already?

What do you think ?? ;) ;)

We've run up about 10 pages there in about an hour !!!

AZOffaly

It's fairly stark, but I'd like to hear the players response. On the face of it, it appears to be a clear case of the players undermining the Co. Board's deal so that they could get paid (via the GPA deal) for hawking Club Energise (I presume). I couldn't agree with that.

On the other hand, this seems to be very much a justification for why the County Board needs to put manners on them (in their mind). It probably adds weight to the supposition that the county board engineered this knowing it would enrage the players and they'd pick a fight they can't win, if the Board digs in. I'd question what it has to do with the matter in question, other than to show the players as being troublesome and self-interested.

It's like a lad on trial for murder being accused of also kicking his brother around as a young lad.

Reillers

I don't know about the Powerade thing, even though I've seen them drinking it on the pitch more then once.
And
As for the "that's great news" it's been said 100 times that Donal Og was conveniently misquoted. I really don't trust a word that comes out of the CB's mouth about the players.

Did ya see the article from Ga in the Echo Realrebel?