McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 06:39:41 PM
Don't forget the strikers are doing this for themselves - not for Cork hurling - for themselves.

Another lie

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on February 11, 2009, 06:55:32 PM
I knew there'd be a vote, we all knew there'd be a vote but they said there wouldn't be, and then there was and clearly some clubs were upset about that.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

realrebel

EddieMerx

Nah, just that post fro Reillers reminded me of Donald Rumsfeld and his known unknows speech

orangeman

Quote from: C_Berg_316 on February 11, 2009, 10:23:50 PM
hey lad - dont really know what is going on with the whole strike thing and dont really want to read through the whole thread - could anyome some up for me in a line of two why exactly the hurlers are striking?  what is their problem with mc carthy?  Cheers

The 2008 panel say they want the best for Cork hurling which they think can be achieved with a different manager. But like everything in life ( and a strike supporter poster here ), they're ill advised, ill informed and misguided. They believe that almost everyone including God is on their side. Unfortunately those who count aren't in agreement and they're going nowhere fast.
The strikers have embarked on a campaign of discrediting Mc Carthy but it isn't working. That reminds me of somebody on here who is a bit like a mad professor I was listening to last night on the radio - who thinks they know it all  - but then a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.
Watch Mc Carthy in case he tells the odd lie cos somewhere in there might lurk the truth which hurts like hell.

realrebel

eddie
u will get used to reillers answers but u would be better off just not reading them ;D

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 11:03:26 PM
Quote from: C_Berg_316 on February 11, 2009, 10:23:50 PM
hey lad - dont really know what is going on with the whole strike thing and dont really want to read through the whole thread - could anyome some up for me in a line of two why exactly the hurlers are striking?  what is their problem with mc carthy?  Cheers

The 2008 panel say they want the best for Cork hurling which they think can be achieved with a different manager. But like everything in life ( and a strike supporter poster here ), they're ill advised, ill informed and misguided. They believe that almost everyone including God is on their side. Unfortunately those who count aren't in agreement and they're going nowhere fast.
The strikers have embarked on a campaign of discrediting Mc Carthy but it isn't working. That reminds me of somebody on here who is a bit like a mad professor I was listening to last night on the radio - who thinks they know it all  - but then a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.
Watch Mc Carthy in case he tells the odd lie cos somewhere in there might lurk the truth which hurts like hell.

The hurlers are striking because (as OM didn't give you the answer just whinged and bitched) the CB reappointed a man in an undemocratic way. The players said that they didn't want McCarthy as manager, the one man they didn't want McCarthy at manager and then despite knowing this and everything that McCarthy had done, they still reappointed him despite the players saying what would happen.

Hence why we are where we are.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 11, 2009, 11:09:43 PM
eddie
u will get used to reillers answers but u would be better off just not reading them ;D

I..I..never mind. ;) :D

sligeach

Quote from: Reillers on February 11, 2009, 11:17:21 PM
The hurlers are striking because (as OM didn't give you the answer just whinged and bitched) the CB reappointed a man in an undemocratic way. The players said that they didn't want McCarthy as manager, the one man they didn't want McCarthy at manager and then despite knowing this and everything that McCarthy had done, they still reappointed him despite the players saying what would happen.

Hence why we are where we are.

Reillers please go out and buy this book, its quite well known and I think most book shops will have one, its called an English dictionary. A democratic way is exactly how McCarthy was reappointed so either you don't know the definition of democracy or you somewhere seem to think that some peoples votes (Players) are worth more then others (board members and club delegates).

The players saying they didn't want McCarthy has absolutely nothibng to do with democracy or a democratic way of thinking, its the exact opposite. Donal Og went on radio a few days ago and said they didn't want to veto the manager. Again, I would ask you to look in the aforementioned book for the word 'veto' because hats exactly what the players are asking for.

Its the equivalent of the way dictatorships work in some countries, i.e > Vote for whoever you like ... except for this guy ... oh and this guy ... oh and this guy. Oh look theres only one guy left, the one we want. Democracy works  ::)

So whatever else you try and use in your argument please don't try and tell anyone here that what the players are trying to do is democratic in any way.

Donal Og must have failed English in primary school because he keeps saying its not a veto when what they are doing is the exact defintion of a veto.

C_Berg_316

Thanks for some of your explanations lads - still not really sure if i got the answer i was looking for - what is their exact problem with mc carthy? - is he a bad trainer/bad motivator?  surely he wants to do his best for cork hurling?  Every manager in life (not just in sport, in work, etc) has some sort of faults but IMO you just have to work your best and try to acheive your goals at the end of the day.  Thats just what i think anyway - thats why maybe i think there more of an underlying issue here?
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

The GAA

They regard him as a bad trainer and manager and discussed several times last year ousting him. They held off for a number of reasons including his tenure almost being up and the implementation of an outside facilitator to build bridges.

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2009, 02:11:00 PM
The younger players came out and said it themselves so I can only take it at face value, however IMO there is no doubt that some of the panel would play for Gerald again and that there are varying opinions within the panel, however, and I'm going back to this again, if even a majority of players or all the senior players don't get on with Gerald then he is a dead man walking as far as coaching this Cork team is concerned. So why reappoint him?

We are all speculating here a bit but if I were one of the 5 CB members and my concern was simply to get the best man for the job then I wouldn't have reappointed Gerald and I haven't spoken to one person who disagrees with me on that, even staunch anti-player people. So it comes back to why those 5 men did what they did and to me the only logical answer is to shove it into the players, not the good of Cork hurling.

The players maybe impossible to please, they may have an inflated sense of their own importance but that still doesn't justify the men who run Cork GAA, one of whom you and I are paying to do so, persuing a vendetta against these players.

I see where you're coming from here Zulu. But you're looking at the starting point being at the selection of the manager and implying if a certain individual or individuals weren't part of that committee this dispute would never have arisen. But if you go back someone must have sown the seeds of the panel's stance. So I can ask if three or four main figures hadn't been part of the panel on stike would this dispute be taking place?
Your points on losing the changing room are all very valid but if there's a campaign by a few indivduals to undermine a manager because certain players want things done their way then that takes on a different perspective.
In effect a group of players have created this dispute and with the support of the GPA are not only trying to change the manager but the way the GAA in Cork, and ultimately further afield, operates. Of course there are politics in the GAA but thsese players and the GPA are taking on the role of a pressure group and are saying to the rest of the GAA members who still play but not at their level, who have stopped playing or have put in countless hours that we don't care if you want to be involved in the processes of the GAA.
But we are where we are now and this panel meeting at the weekend will be very interesting.
Have you read Jerry OSullivan's statement on it?

orangeman

Read the comments of the Cork CB treasurer to get a flavour of how easy these lads were to manage. His comments are in today's Independent.

dowling

Cork county chairman Jerry O'Sullivan has questioned the validity of the players' gathering. In a statement last night, O'Sullivan reiterated that, following Tuesday's county board meeting, he would "not be taking any further motions on this subject at any future meetings. This issue has dominated for far too long, and this board must revert to its other usual business".

O'Sullivan made several other points, including that as the democratically elected chairman of the county committee decisions on team management "have been made by the only body entitled to make these decisions and that any other proposed gathering does not have a function in the matter.

"The county committee is under the association's General Rule 59, the governing and controlling body of the association in the county. It has under this rule the sole right to determine all matters relating to the management and selection of our intercounty teams.

"The county committee has decided on its senior hurling team management over three meetings. Gerald McCarthy was democratically appointed as senior hurling team manager by the only body which has this function.

"At Tuesday's county board meeting his appointment was reconfirmed by another overwhelming vote. I wish to reiterate again the county committee's and the team management's absolute desire to have the opportunity with the players involved to try to find a solution to the impasse, which can only be achieved by dialogue between all parties, and I again extend a sincere invitation to the players to engage in immediate talks."

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on February 12, 2009, 12:07:42 PM
Read the comments of the Cork CB treasurer to get a flavour of how easy these lads were to manage. His comments are in today's Independent.

Link?