McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 10, 2009, 11:02:27 PM
well from what i heard nobody gave gerald a hard time at the meeting

And that surprises you. The players said it themselves and we all know it, there's never any debate, look at the results all the time, it's always 80/90 to 13/14.
There's no debate because everyone does what Frank wants them to do, and in any of that county, that wouldn't happen, you would not have gotten that result they got tonight, there shouldn't have even been a vote. Anywhere else, (like Offaly) it would have been sorted and common sense would have won out. But in Cork..well results speak for themselves.
As much respect you have for the man, surely you can't see any logic to keeping him in the job, surely you most know that anywhere else he'd have been gotten rid of (wrongly or rightly) a long time ago, like in Offaly.
When there's a dispute between manager and team (in this case 30 players) the manager is always gotten rid of, in Cork's case, well it's special isn't it.

I've no doubt that the likes of OM, Indiana, Dowling..etc people who try to convince that they are up on the situation will roll on in here and say oh democracy this and fair that. But you and I both no, Cork GAA hasn't functioned for a long time and wont for a long time to come as long as FM is at the head of it.
Hell like look at the Cloyne motion, it made sense, it had nothing to do with Gerald situation really, it just made sense and it was blasted out of the water with a majority vote. You know as well as I do, no matter what our views are on this situation, just how backwards the CCB are and that nearly everyone will always vote the same way FM does.
The likes of Indiana and OM will pretend to understand, but you and I both know the GAA is dying on it's feet for one reason and one reason only, and that like in every other county in this country there is no way at all this would have been allowed to happen, we all know that this, all of this is just one big power strugle from the CB and their puppets on a string.

No other county would sit by and wait and watch while their IC hurling team are relegated to the Christy Ring Cup and watch their football team who are the key now, not play at all, all for one man....where else would that happen?
They're willing to rip down Cork GAA for one man. It shouldn't matter what that man has done, no one can be that important, no one should be that important.
There are obviously a lot of people in cork who want to see kilkenny win 4 or more in a row by making sure that FM gets his revenge.

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on February 10, 2009, 11:17:39 PM
What about Dessie Farrell's timing though? So much for the GPA not being involved or taking sides huh? Disgraceful intervention on his part, those young lads should be allowed join the GPA, are they not intercounty players, regardless of whether you think they should be or not?? I'd say Donal Og isn't too happy with  Dessie now! Talk about letting the cat out of the bag! I didn't believe that the GPA had much to do with this situation before but now thanks to Dessie I am not too sure!

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=5498

Up to now I don't think they had much if anything to do with it, but they were always going to make their point at some stage.
The GPA, like the footballers had to make their stance shown at some point.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: cicfada on February 10, 2009, 11:17:39 PM
What about Dessie Farrell's timing though? So much for the GPA not being involved or taking sides huh? Disgraceful intervention on his part, those young lads should be allowed join the GPA, are they not intercounty players, regardless of whether you think they should be or not?? I'd say Donal Og isn't too happy with  Dessie now! Talk about letting the cat out of the bag! I didn't believe that the GPA had much to do with this situation before but now thanks to Dessie I am not too sure!

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=5498
Always in the background, ready to do their own case damage when called upon. Typical form for the Glasnevin one.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on February 10, 2009, 10:52:58 PM

Lads, we're getting nowhere with this debate. fellas on both sides are unwilling to make and accept reasonable points in good faith.
i'll be taking my leave from it and hope it works out.

before i go Orangeman, i want a retraction and an apology for the shite you posted earlier....

Quote from: The GAA on February 10, 2009, 04:11:04 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 09, 2009, 09:29:13 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 09, 2009, 09:18:29 AM
GAA - You've got a history of abstentionism,

no i don't

GAA - come from a glorious a rich hurling tradition,

no i don't

GAA -  have met up with the strikers on a copule of occasions round the club ( which apparently has bestowed wonderous insight into the dispute - one side only of course )

never spoken to any of those lads about this dispute

GAA - so why don't you take a wee drive down there and solve it if you're that intelligent ?

Its only you who says that i am intelligent - all the time actually.
why do you keep insisting on other people driving down and sorting out the problem?

GAA - Or maybe you'd just prefer to drive up and down the road past the field just like the eejit you made you of yourself before and are semingly quite prepared to do again ???

what the hell are you talking about?

What you fail to realise is that the GAA in Cork and every other part of the country will continue

You'll have to point out where i even inferred that this would not be the case. making stuff up again? tut tut

just like it did when you and yours were going round talking to yourselves and kicking stones round the house when your club was playing.
But then again, what else can you say ? You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

now you really are making stuff up.

Is that a record for the most wrong assumptions and lies in the one post?

You really should stop posting about me, read about the issues this thread relates to (rather than copying & pasting) and postr about the actual subject matter. if you can.

Ahem

So the use of 'shite' is constructive and mature. Maybe if all the people who disagree with your viewpoint used the same language the debate might be more positive, eh? And is it ok to mention the GPA now?

dowling

You see for 'passedit', 'the GAA' and reillers there has been a difficulty reading between lines and weighing stuff up. Thus the foul and abusive language.
Even Martin Walsh's interview couldn't be taken at face value after a couple of readings.
It's all a question of applying logic.
And the big picture is what will be the logic if the county board capitulates, which could well still happen? If Donal OGrady wanted to manage the county team again it would be dependant on the players' say so, in spite of all the praise here. And if the players had someone else in mind OGrady would be vetoed and there wouldn't be much need for a county board in this area except to ring the successful candidate and tell him he's got the job because the players want him.

dowling

Quote from: heffo on February 10, 2009, 09:21:57 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 10, 2009, 08:39:56 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2009, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: realrebel on February 10, 2009, 08:31:59 PM
wasnt he at the players press conference holding the mic for the players the other week
and is he best of buddies with donal og
wonder why he left it till now to quit?

Can we get this confirmed? If this is true, and I emphasise IF, then it puts an entirely different spin on matters
It was said on the Echo and also a long with it a glowing report of the man himself by McCarthy. He has kept his tounge and continued to work with the 09 players and do his job brilliantly or whatever it is Gerald says. He says he's respect for Gerald and he's good friends with the likes of JOS.  I don't see how it would change things at all.

Reillers - can you confirm that he was present at the press conference holding players mic's?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 11, 2009, 12:24:25 AM
You see for 'passedit', 'the GAA' and reillers there has been a difficulty reading between lines and weighing stuff up. Thus the foul and abusive language.
Even Martin Walsh's interview couldn't be taken at face value after a couple of readings.
And the big picture is what will be the logic if the county board capitulates, which could well still happen? If Donal OGrady wanted to manage the county team again it would be dependant on the players' say so, in spite of all the praise here. And if the players had someone else in mind OGrady would be vetoed and there wouldn't be much need for a county board in this area except to ring the successful candidate and tell him he's got the job because the players want him.

Oh of course not, it couldn't be taken at face value for one reason and one reason only, because it showed the players in good light.
Nor could Donal O Grady's, John Allen..etc. There most be some sort of logical excuse.
The players don't want to decide who manages them, do you not listen to a word anyone says, or the players say? We are in this position because the ONE man the players said that they didn't want to play for was Gerald McCarthy, and after saying that, the CB just reappointed him. That is why we're here.
The players didn't even want to be on the 7 man panel in the first place, they've said it, people involved have said it.
ALL they want to do is play hurling.
And it's been said 100 times by the players and people involved who aren't Gerald, his selectors and the CB.
But hell no, none of that can be taken at face value, there most be some sort of logical excuse somewhere.

But of course what the other side says, can be taken, 100% at face value, as script, written in cement. Oh the logic of it all. FFS.

dowling

"I don't see how him being there or not, throwing the mic around the place makes things any different." quoting reillers

Height of denial!

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 11, 2009, 12:36:54 AM
"I don't see how him being there or not, throwing the mic around the place makes things any different." quoting reillers

Height of denial!
So because he backed the players then, like he is now, what difference does that make in your twisted mind where god only knows what is logic and please reply to my post and don't ignore it.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on February 11, 2009, 12:36:04 AM

Oh of course not, it couldn't be taken at face value for one reason and one reason only, because it showed the players in good light.
Nor could Donal O Grady's, John Allen..etc. There most be some sort of logical excuse.
The players don't want to decide who manages them, do you not listen to a word anyone says, or the players say? We are in this position because the ONE man the players said that they didn't want to play for was Gerald McCarthy, and after saying that, the CB just reappointed him. That is why we're here.
The players didn't even want to be on the 7 man panel in the first place, they've said it, people involved have said it.
And it's been said 100 times by the players and people involved who aren't Gerald, his selectors and the CB.
But hell no, none of that can be taken at face value, there most be some sort of logical excuse somewhere.

But of course what the other side says, can be taken, 100% at face value, as scrip written in cement. Oh the logic of it all. FFS.

Reillers of course the players don't want to decide who will be manager, they just want to decide who wont be manager. Now logic will tell you there's no difference, just a play on words.
Of course Martin Walsh's relationship with the 2008 panel makes a difference, in fact a big difference! Everything didn't add up. Now you can either be blindly loyal or whatever but you need to see exactly what everyone else is beginning to see.
And the players just want to play? Well no one pushed them aside. GMcC wants to manage and the county board wants to administrate. Why doesn't everyone get on with their job?
The unfortunate thing is that the 2008 panel want to play, manage and administrate; without any accountability of course.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 11, 2009, 12:55:24 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 11, 2009, 12:36:04 AM

But of course what the other side says, can be taken, 100% at face value, as scrip written in cement. Oh the logic of it all. FFS.

Reillers of course the players don't want to decide who will be manager, they just want to decide who wont be manager. Now logic will tell you there's no difference, just a play on words.
Of course Martin Walsh's relationship with the 2008 panel makes a difference, in fact a big difference! Everything didn't add up. Now you can either be blindly loyal or whatever but you need to see exactly what everyone else is beginning to see.
And the players just want to play? Well no one pushed them aside. GMcC wants to manage and the county board wants to administrate. Why doesn't everyone get on with their job?
The unfortunate thing is that the 2008 panel want to play, manage and administrate; without any accountability of course.

You really are in dreamland.
So I take it from that that you're not going to answer my posts.

dowling

I have always striven to answer your posts Reillers and thought i had addressed them but I'll try again if you feel I haven't done so but you'll have to let me know again what I haven't addressed.

passedit

Example please
Don't Panic

sligeach

Alright lads, haven't opened my mouth about this yet but here goes.

1. G McCarthy is a gentleman who gave a lot to Cork and hurling in his time as a player and a manager.

Is he the best manager in Ireland ? No.
Is he as good as the previous couple of Cork managers ? Maybe not. I don't know.
Does it matter ? No.

The GAA is a democracy. Any issue which has effected the organisation is voted on. Take opening up Croke Park, take the players grants. I was very much opposed to the players grants but you know what ? It was voted for democratically, we lost, we accepted it and moved on.

G McCarthy was elected to the position democratically. The players asked for 'anyone else', this is a veto, simple as and the players have constantly denied this. This is the dictionary definition of a veto and yet Donal Og etc seem to think people don't have dictionaries at home ?

2. Many of the 08 panel are malcontents who simply want things 'their way'. They do have the best interests of their Cork team's performance in the league and championship in their hearts. But they are players, they are not managers. They give advice, give opinions and then they follow their orders by the manager because thats what hes there for. Does anyone really think that it would be a good thing to let a team manage itself ? Players play, Managers manage, its as simple as that and it works that way for a reason.

Players do what they think is best for their performance first and the teams performance second. Managers do what is best for the team first.

If G McCarthy wasn't there now and someone else for example dropped Donal Og, I would put my mortage on it that the players would strike to get him back or to drop that manager.

The players say they weren't happy with training etc. Fair enough, maybe they are right but thats no reason to act like this. You change things democratically in the GAA, not cry like a spoilt child unless you get your own way.

If the players win this then what about the voices of the Clubs and the club delegates ? What do they mean ? A big capital NOTHING. The democratic rights of GAA members in Cork will have been ignored and neglected for a team of players, many of whom are getting over the hill anyways.

Brian Cody could do down to Cork, manage these gang and still loose 2 championship campaigns and the players would still blame the manager.

I personally think both sides are wrong at this stage, the dirt been flung by both sides sickens me. I'm sorry G McC has had his name rubbed into the dirt like this but he isn't completely innocent in all of this.

What I would love to see happen is the following.

1. Clubs vote to remove G McC and put someone new into the position but with the 09 panel.
2. 08 panel players get into the team on current performance and trails, not on past reputation.

My money would be on a handful of the 08 players not making it especially a certain Mr Cusack who has been constistently overrated for years and is certainly not the best goalkeeper in Cork and hasn't been for the last few years, if indeed he ever was!

Predictions -> At the very least Diarmuid O'Sullivan & Donal Og to not make it onto the 09 panel, not when theres a manager with balls there who isn't afraid to drop players.

I've consistently heard the Cork players admire Brian Cody, well Brian Cody is who he is and has brought Kilkenny to such heights because he has complete managerial power and is f**king ruthless with team selection. That would NOT go down well with the 08 lads and everyone knows it. This as opposed to the Cork system the last few years where a manager would be afraid of dropping someone or making a decision because of a select few players on the team.

Its time for the clubs to stand up, not the players and not the manager and not the board.

Lets hear the real democratic deicision of the Cork GAA, of the clubs, make a decision now.

Tatler Jack

QuoteWhat I would love to see happen is the following.

1. Clubs vote to remove G McC and put someone new into the position but with the 09 panel.
2. 08 panel players get into the team on current performance and trails, not on past reputation.

Great post Sligeach but maybe a bit too much commonsense there!!!

Agree with your proposals but would add that clubs should also vote to change the nonsensical situation where players have representatives in selecting a manager. This was a ridicolous part of the Mulvey agreement and should be got rid of. Players should have no role in selecting managers -neither should full time paid executive members of the CB.