Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on February 08, 2009, 09:24:54 PM
What was the turnout yesterday?

Irish Mail on Sunday claims 5k
RTE Claims 10k
Reillers claims 12k..

As I said earlier, numbers aren't important although Reillers would want us to think there were 12k - but take out the women and children out it and there wouldn't be too many left.

INDIANA

I was told about 8,000. The reality is Cork people wouldn't go to watch cork v dublin even if the stars were playing. There was no more at that game today then there would have been with last year's team. as was seen in the championship qualifiers last year.

imtommygunn

It's still quite an amount of people. Take out the children fair enough. Would have thought the women were entitled to their opinion though. Also I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion there's not many left - what's your basis for this? Did you see it on tv and see it was full of women / children?

I'd agree with Indiana though - Dublin are small fry to Cork so a lot of people wouldn't come out. Though some may argue if they really supported McCarrthy they'd come out to show solidarity with him...

realrebel

ya you are dead right indiana
can reillers or anyone else tell me
how come over the last 20 years or so there have been low attendances for the opening league games
where are all the die hard fans that turn up for the finals how come they dont go to the league matches
how can they call themselves geniune supporters when they dont go and watch the league games
then everyone wants a ticket for the finals

heffo

Quote from: realrebel on February 08, 2009, 09:40:42 PM
ya you are dead right indiana
can reillers or anyone else tell me
how come over the last 20 years or so there have been low attendances for the opening league games
where are all the die hard fans that turn up for the finals how come they dont go to the league matches
how can they call themselves geniune supporters when they dont go and watch the league games
then everyone wants a ticket for the finals

Well I for one hope that the two Cork fans who turned up to the NFL game in Roscommon get looked after with AI tickets should Cork make it there in the near future.

Heard Counihan is on the brink of walking away after the footballers cop out last week..

orangeman

Numbers aren't important.

Most people in the county itself as well as tghe whole of Ireland are sick to death of hearing about the strike / the strikers / Mc Carthy / CB etc etc - they're past caring.

Yes there are people who hold views that are polarised and care passionately about it - eg Reillers - but failure to engage with the other side meant that no compromise was ever going to be possible.

You can't make friends with people who don't want to be your friend. The strikers weren't prepared to engage with anybody and refused all attempts at mediation, saying one thing in public and meaning the opposite. Their strategy is to sit back, wait till the young lads get a good few hammerings, Cork are relegated, Mc Carthy gets kicked out and the CB have to appoint a new man who sends for the cavalry.

It really didn't have to get to this stage.

Was it / Is it really worth all the division it has caused (without laying the blame at anybody's door ) ???

INDIANA

Heard the same Heffo, I'm hoping he does for his sake. terrific coach who deserves better from the players he coaches who obviously have no appreciation for the man.

Zulu

Comparing Kilkenny in the championship and Dublin in the first league game is nonsense, I've nothing against the current Cork squad and fair dues to them for stepping up to the plate and representing Cork but the reality is they are by and large not IC senior players. So trying to twist todays result into a positive for Cork is ridiculous, the results won't improve and todays performance wasn't a good result for Cork.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on February 08, 2009, 09:49:29 PM
Comparing Kilkenny in the championship and Dublin in the first league game is nonsense, I've nothing against the current Cork squad and fair dues to them for stepping up to the plate and representing Cork but the reality is they are by and large not IC senior players.

Were any of them ever on the panel before for any length of time?

Assuming they weren't they're on a hiding to nothing physique-wise and wouldn't be physically developed for IC hurling..

Zulu

Why wouldn't they be up to it physically, there are plenty of footballers and hurlers between 19 and 23 who play IC and all the lads who played today are that or older. Anyway Joe Deane, the O'Connors, or Naughton aren't big men either and they've done alright. These players deserve the respect of GAA people because they play the game but they simply aren't up to it and IMO it isn't right to put these lads into this situation. To my mind the CB haven't had the good of Cork hurling, and more importantly the GAA as a whole, at heart in all of this and now Gerald isn't doing Cork hurling any good either, so what is the point?

orangeman

The only surprise about today's result was that there were on;y 3 goals in it - Saturday night looks like being a massacre.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on February 08, 2009, 10:00:12 PM
Why wouldn't they be up to it physically, there are plenty of footballers and hurlers between 19 and 23 who play IC and all the lads who played today are that or older. Anyway Joe Deane, the O'Connors, or Naughton aren't big men either and they've done alright. These players deserve the respect of GAA people because they play the game but they simply aren't up to it and IMO it isn't right to put these lads into this situation.

There are indeed plenty of players of small stature and between those ages, but you don't have 15 of them on the field and generally they're introduced in the corners etc and as they develop as players can be then moved to central positions.

I'd imagine the players mentioned above have been doing gym work for the duration of their IC careers..

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 08, 2009, 09:48:17 PM
Heard the same Heffo, I'm hoping he does for his sake. terrific coach who deserves better from the players he coaches who obviously have no appreciation for the man.
You know I've heard some pretty biased stuff on here, but to say that he's a terrific coach is a joke. He's an awful mananger and everyone knows it.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:06:46 PM
You know I've heard some pretty biased stuff on here, but to say that he's a terrific coach is a joke. He's an awful mananger and everyone knows it.
[/b]

Incredible.

Reillers - is Gerry O'Sullivan a coward ? Yes or no ?

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:06:46 PM

conor counihan is a terrible coach? You really are a prize plonker Reillers. That just confirms it.