McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 07, 2009, 03:19:47 PM
Reillers I heard most of that talk on the radio and it's funny how we heard it differently. Donal og seemed unable to refute some of the points put by Gerald. I don't believe Donal og spoke well at all. Whether it was down to nerves or because Gerald was able to challange his version of events I coudn't be sure but he definitely ducked the interviewer on a couple of occasions. Having said that Gerald avoided discussing the leaked document. Again whether that was because he leaked it or, by saying he didn't imply Cathal Reilly did I don't know.
As to why Donal og spoke, he said the 2008 panel were having a meeting and asked him to go on the radio but I don't know if he contacted the radio or vice versa.
The whole thing did take on an air of a squabble but The 2008 panel have brought this dispute to that level. In spite of Reillers assertions members of the 2008 panel made remarks which Gerald had to respond to and all along that's mostly the way it's been. Only in the last couple of days has Gerald focused on Donal og.
One interesting point that Gerald made was that he believes there's a hidden agenda here in relation to player power.

:D - you nearly made it the whole way through a post!

Having not heard the interviews:

what points did gerald make that donal could not refute?

what interview questions did donal duck?

did the interviewer not press gerald on the leak document when he avoided it?

agorm

Quote from: The GAA on February 07, 2009, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 01:33:07 PM
Why did Donal Og put himself forward ?

Who says he was putting anyone forward?

Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 01:43:06 PM
21st July 2008

After reading this, it's hard to beleive where we're at now in this dispute. That much I'm sure about.

But Cork bypassed that inconvenience by running smart lines rather than lobbing snow-tipped missiles. And no-one did it better than Joe Deane.

Afterwards, Gerald McCarthy singled out the Killeagh man for special commendation, his 0-4 haul barely a murmuring towards the efficacy of his overall contribution. Indeed, McCarthy's language told us much about the texture of the win.

He outlined how Cork had trained through the week preceding their qualifier against Dublin, gambling on an ambition to fry bigger fish.

"This is one of the greatest victories I've ever been involved with," said the manager with untypical emotion. "Down a man and in big trouble at half-time. I'll be quite blunt, I was very disappointed that the referee issued the first yellow to Donal Og. The second one? Certainly, he had to go then.

Targeted

"But, if ever a man being sent off turned the tide in our favour, that certainly did. I just feel that Donal Og is being targeted a bit by certain referees
."

McCarthy revealed that Cusack gave an impassioned speech in the dressing-room at half-time that caught the perfect tone.

"We were very calm at that point," reflected McCarthy. "I felt we had out-hurled Galway completely in that first half. They had scored 1-1 from play. Just two scores. So, we felt that we had the legs on them."

Then he began to touch on what he saw as unjust press treatment of his team, Ben O'Connor pitching in with a caustic "Sure, we're gone Gerald. We're finished!" as the Cork players spilled out by us for their warm-down.

"Some of the press treatment this bunch of players got during the week was very unfair," said McCarthy. "The way they were written off completely. But not just that, they were ridiculed in some quarters."

Its posts like this, which are irrelevent and diverting the thread unnecessarily, which pisses people with you.

I agree, can Orangeman explain the point of that posting, I certainly couldnt see it.

orangeman

Agorm

After reading this, it's hard to beleive where we're at now in this dispute. That much I'm sure about.

Understand now ?

orangeman

Some 12,000 supporters have taken to the streets of Cork today to march in support of the 2008 Cork Hurling Squad with regards to the ongoing dispute.

It has been revealed by the Cork Senior Football squad that they will go on strike following the National Football League if the hurling dispute is not resolved.

dowling

orangeman

Quote from: dowling on February 07, 2009, 04:56:43 PM
When will the second march be?

Is there a 2nd march planned ?.

I wonder does 12,000 people constitute a victory for the strikers ??

How many were they expecting ?.

Any prizes for guessing where Reillers is at ??  ;) :D

Give us a report Reillers. I'm sure you'll be very disappointed with the small turnout, most of them women and children !!!!

Reillers

Small turnout?? ;) ;) On a freezing cold day (clashing with the 6 Nations) it was decent crowd, a very decent crowd.
Bloody cold though. A good turn out.

orangeman

What was the story Reillers ?

Was the man with the sombrero there today ? He's usually very vocal. What side is he on ? His view would be interesting.

Are you for the match tomorow Reillers ?

agorm

Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 04:51:52 PM
Agorm

Understand now ?

I see your point. Though I dont see much in that piece demonstrating the players' confidence in Gerald.

The GAA

Have to say i'm surprised there were as many as 12,000 marched. that's very impressive imo

stevetharlear

Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 04:59:59 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 07, 2009, 04:56:43 PM
When will the second march be?

Is there a 2nd march planned ?.

I wonder does 12,000 people constitute a victory for the strikers ??

How many were they expecting ?.

Any prizes for guessing where Reillers is at ??  ;) :D

Give us a report Reillers. I'm sure you'll be very disappointed with the small turnout, most of them women and children !!!!

He's not stuck in front of his keyboard though, unlike some. Gwan Reillers ya mad thing ya. That today was what Reillersland was all about.

dowling

Were the whole thirty of the 2008 panel there and does the figure at the protest mean that's the Cork public's verdict one way or another?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 06:06:39 PM

Was the man with the sombrero there today ? He's usually very vocal. What side is he on ? His view would be interesting.

The same boyo who we seen on the news there hugging Gerald Mac, with his hangers-on in tow, after the Clare game last year? No doubt he was there today, pure attention-seeker.

stevetharlear

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 08, 2009, 12:02:45 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 07, 2009, 06:06:39 PM

The same boyo who we seen on the news there hugging Gerald Mac, with his hangers-on in tow, after the Clare game last year? No doubt he was there today, pure attention-seeker.
He's a Cork fan, what would you expect him to be doing after a great win? Ur some eejit all the same.

Reillers

The march was very impressive and credit to the lads who set it up, completley fans based, set up by the fans and the fans alone.

It started at the Opera House and we went up to Pennies and then turned around and went to the Grand Parade, the turn out from the players was impressive and they got a massive cheer when they went up on stage.
Ga spoke a few words and Corcoran was there, he spoke for a while, saying how the public wont understand how great the players have been for us until they're gone. Which is true, he spoke very well..God I miss him.
Saw some of the footballers there as well, they weren't a let down either.

In fairness there was some turn out like.
The crowd really was incredible. I was genuinely shocked at the size of the crowd today it was massive. I wasn't sure how many were planning to turn up, and it was hard to guess how much was there when you were up thereit didn't take a genious to figure out that there was a couple of thousand I was guess 7/8 but as it turns out there was about 12000.

I thought the fact that the footballers showing up was a boost to the 08 panel, it was a statement that we're in it, and unless this is sorted out it looks like we may have no football team to support during the summer either because they are serious about it.

The age profile was across the board. A lot of old heads there, which says something I think. The turnout most have been a great boost for the hurlers. The CB mightn't take any notice, but you cannot ignore what happened today.

That's 12000 people who want Gerald out.
That's 12000 people who back the players.
And
That's 12000 people who want FM out and change to the CB, for it to be run, for once, the way it should be run.

How, even though I wouldn't be surprised if he did, FM can ignore that is beyond me.

If the amount of people who were at the march today were to stay away from Cork matches this summer it would have significant financial consequences for the cork county board. Which of course, with the exception of power and control, is THE most important thing to them.

If the 09 team get trashed tomorrow, along with the crowd today and the footballers statement..then it could well have a massive impact, at least I'd like to hope so.

People that were at the march today, old heads, lads from clubs you'd never see in the city, lads from up the country, people coming from all over Cork, keeping in mind it's a hell of a long way to travel to the city for some people, Cork fans coming from everyone, coming down from Dublin, the north, people driving 3 hours away down to the city..etc. It was a hell of a statement.
Lets hope the CB were listening and the massive cries from the fans didn't fall on deaf ears.