Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 02:05:54 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 03, 2009, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 03, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.

Ger Mac is the issue here (is there a massive issue, the main issue being FM, ya, are they looking for him to resign now, no.)  and it's to do with the process in which he was reappointed. Not FM. Is he THE problem in Cork GAA, without a doubt, but the players are not looking for his resignation.

Are you sure, as from the outset Ger Mac is Franks choice, Franks footsoldier, plus other selectors are also Frank men according to the 2008 panel?
I see a softening of approach, an exit strategy for the players and Frank potentially saving face but Ger might need to fall on his sword and that's the bit i can't forsee happening any time soon.

Would every player, fan..etc love to see Frank gone, obviously, are the players going to try and take him down now, I very much doubt it, they don't have that power..I'm not sure anyone does.
But what the players want is Ger Mac gone, it's what they've wanted from day one and that hasn't changed. McCarthy in my view should have left a long time ago, he's not good enough for the job, he knows it, he told the players that he wouldn't come back if the players didn't want him do, but now for him it seems all about ego at this stage.
The players are fighting for something that is greater, they just want to play and WIN for Cork, I'm not sure what the hell McCarthy thinks he can accomplish at this stage.

He's been playing to the media alot, I think it was said that he made 30/40 statments to the press, while the players made something like 8/9.
He's been doing this oh poor me, little violin act, going on about the pride and honour of wearing the jersey, and don't get me wrong there is and should be, but some of the stuff he's saying..lies about the players and turning them into fact with no evidence or proof..it's a joke. And this oh poor me act will not work and the Cork public, who are the most important factor in this, it doesn't matter one bit what someone in Carlow or Kerry or Down think about it, and the Cork fans will not swallow that excuse if were getting trashed by Dublin.
No, it was a great effort, the lads tried their best, some good displays..it wont be excepted.

So if Frank agrees to impliment the selection process in spirit as well as rule is it acceptable for Ger McCarthy still to be considered for the job along with any other candidates who wish their name to go forward in the process?

They DO NOT want Gerald as manager. It's what they wanted from the start.

But what IF Ger was the best manager (as agreed by the selection committee using some form of assessment criteria) wanting to take the job on?

I can't see too many jumping at the position now, can you?

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on February 05, 2009, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 02:05:54 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 03, 2009, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 03, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.

Ger Mac is the issue here (is there a massive issue, the main issue being FM, ya, are they looking for him to resign now, no.)  and it's to do with the process in which he was reappointed. Not FM. Is he THE problem in Cork GAA, without a doubt, but the players are not looking for his resignation.

Are you sure, as from the outset Ger Mac is Franks choice, Franks footsoldier, plus other selectors are also Frank men according to the 2008 panel?
I see a softening of approach, an exit strategy for the players and Frank potentially saving face but Ger might need to fall on his sword and that's the bit i can't forsee happening any time soon.

Would every player, fan..etc love to see Frank gone, obviously, are the players going to try and take him down now, I very much doubt it, they don't have that power..I'm not sure anyone does.
But what the players want is Ger Mac gone, it's what they've wanted from day one and that hasn't changed. McCarthy in my view should have left a long time ago, he's not good enough for the job, he knows it, he told the players that he wouldn't come back if the players didn't want him do, but now for him it seems all about ego at this stage.
The players are fighting for something that is greater, they just want to play and WIN for Cork, I'm not sure what the hell McCarthy thinks he can accomplish at this stage.

He's been playing to the media alot, I think it was said that he made 30/40 statments to the press, while the players made something like 8/9.
He's been doing this oh poor me, little violin act, going on about the pride and honour of wearing the jersey, and don't get me wrong there is and should be, but some of the stuff he's saying..lies about the players and turning them into fact with no evidence or proof..it's a joke. And this oh poor me act will not work and the Cork public, who are the most important factor in this, it doesn't matter one bit what someone in Carlow or Kerry or Down think about it, and the Cork fans will not swallow that excuse if were getting trashed by Dublin.
No, it was a great effort, the lads tried their best, some good displays..it wont be excepted.

So if Frank agrees to impliment the selection process in spirit as well as rule is it acceptable for Ger McCarthy still to be considered for the job along with any other candidates who wish their name to go forward in the process?

They DO NOT want Gerald as manager. It's what they wanted from the start.

But what IF Ger was the best manager (as agreed by the selection committee using some form of assessment criteria) wanting to take the job on?

I can't see too many jumping at the position now, can you?
[/b]

They've got their own trainers currently and I suppose they'll bring their own team on board. Who knows, Donal Og might even be player / mannager ? He has organised everything else - so this would be a natural extension. He won the game for them against Galwsay when he wasn't on the field - so no better man !!!

dowling

The level of Cork hurling is something that's been ignored in this. If it's not up to scratch as some seem to agree then you would have to think it might take the edge of the county performances. Why hasn't this been filtered into the equation before now? If people are honest Cork is going through a transitional period and for a few of the 2008 panel to convince the rest that lack of success is down to Gerald's training is either very naive or refusing to see the truth. Cork won AIs in spite of not having 15 great players in positions and subs and that weakness was bound to show up sooner or later. Brian Corcoran was a great hurler but he wasn't a great full forward but he was used to plug a gap and served a purpose. Some of the more experienced players have been going for some time and it's bound to take its toll and the edge off their game. It seems Gerald had recognised the flaws and was bringing in new players, and maybe quicker than some thought he would. Cody would have no bother dropping someone for someone fresh but to be honest this 2008 panel would find it difficult to accept Cody's approach because this panel have become detatched from management, county board and the membership. Where did all the young players showing great potential come from? Nothing to do with Gerald? The conclusion has to be that the 2008 panel have set Cork hurling back at a time when it could have developed and deprieved for now young hurlers maturing to compete with the best.

heffo

Quote from: passedit on February 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Quote from: heffo on February 05, 2009, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
Because they didn't try

Message to planet Reillers - they did try - perhaps they have better things to do such as run our association than intervene in the annual hurling strike in Cork..
What? Better than figuring out why THEIR employee was running one of the largest units into the the ground for his own petty agenda? Maybe they could revisit the five year rule and work out how to stop it being circumvented by this jobs for the boys culture.

Regarding the five year rule - this is for voluntary elected officers only.

If there is an issue regarding the performance of Frank Murphy as an effective administrator then he must be answerable on that - note however that his salary is part funded by Croke park and part funded by the Cork county board - same as a club GPO - that issue is entirely seperate to the current strike

I simply wanted to clearup Reillers claim that Central council 'did nothing' to intervene in Corks annual strike..

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on February 05, 2009, 01:01:06 PM

If there is an issue regarding the performance of Frank Murphy as an effective administrator then he must be answerable on that - note however that his salary is part funded by Croke park and part funded by the Cork county board - same as a club GPO - that issue is entirely seperate to the current strike

I simply wanted to clearup Reillers claim that Central council 'did nothing' to intervene in Corks annual strike..

Who are these full time secretaries answerable to? Who would be Frank Murphy's "line manager"?

passedit

Quote from: passedit on February 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Quote from: heffo on February 05, 2009, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
Because they didn't try

Message to planet Reillers - they did try - perhaps they have better things to do such as run our association than intervene in the annual hurling strike in Cork..
What? Better than figuring out why THEIR employee was running one of the largest units into the the ground for his own petty agenda? Maybe they could revisit the five year rule and work out how to stop it being circumvented by this jobs for the boys culture.

I'm well aware of that Heffo, which is why i suggested it should be revisited. How many of these full time posts are now occupied by people who would be out on their ear if it was still voluntary?
Don't Panic

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on February 05, 2009, 01:22:56 PM

Who are these full time secretaries answerable to? Who would be Frank Murphy's "line manager"?

All full time Secretaries report to Croke park - Central council/Management committee

In reality though it's not as if Frank Murphy is sending Paraic Duffy weekly KPI reports..

The GAA

I hadn't a clue about the accountability of FM and other full time secretaries.

there's no accountability to provincial councils?

surely they should be directly accountable to their county chairman?

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on February 05, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

I hadn't a clue about the accountability of FM and other full time secretaries.

there's no accountability to provincial councils?

surely they should be directly accountable to their county chairman?

How workable is that though? Chairman is a volunteer who must contest an election every year...

The GAA

The full time secretary is serving that county though and not croke park. surely accountability must lie within the secretary's own county?

INDIANA

The full-time secretary is effectively the county CEO. The chairman position isn't worth a pot to piss in similar to most PLC's. The secretaries run the show. John Costello is dublin's CEO and does a very good job too. But he used to be called the secretary until he became full-time.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 05, 2009, 11:37:49 AM
The level of Cork hurling is something that's been ignored in this. If it's not up to scratch as some seem to agree then you would have to think it might take the edge of the county performances. Why hasn't this been filtered into the equation before now? If people are honest Cork is going through a transitional period and for a few of the 2008 panel to convince the rest that lack of success is down to Gerald's training is either very naive or refusing to see the truth. Cork won AIs in spite of not having 15 great players in positions and subs and that weakness was bound to show up sooner or later. Brian Corcoran was a great hurler but he wasn't a great full forward but he was used to plug a gap and served a purpose. Some of the more experienced players have been going for some time and it's bound to take its toll and the edge off their game. It seems Gerald had recognised the flaws and was bringing in new players, and maybe quicker than some thought he would. Cody would have no bother dropping someone for someone fresh but to be honest this 2008 panel would find it difficult to accept Cody's approach because this panel have become detatched from management, county board and the membership. Where did all the young players showing great potential come from? Nothing to do with Gerald? The conclusion has to be that the 2008 panel have set Cork hurling back at a time when it could have developed and deprieved for now young hurlers maturing to compete with the best.

The club scene in Cork is a mess. A complete mess, it has been brought up here when I was talking about the CB and it's faults.
The club scene is another shining example of the very fine job the CB has done.
The fixtures, the funding, the youth structure..all appauling and terribly ran.

Something the FM can add to his spectacular CV if he's ever looking for a job in his own county KK..responsible for the succesful downfall of Cork hurling and running it so far into the ground that it is nearly extinct.
And what's so sickening, so sad about all of this is that the players are there there are young players who are very good players and potential brilliant ones, but they wont get to IC unless they do it themselves. If they are genuinely that good that without any help, structure, settings..etc. That they manage to get to IC senior level and play well like the young lads on our team now, then they are bloody fantastic, because look at the Tipp team and the Galway team, examples of massive failure in converting underage success to senior level.  

And we lost the only genuine goalscoring fullforward a few years ago, currently tanning himself in Australia. (Ironically Aisake played for Cork (football) against CIT last night.

Gerald didn't bring in all the players I would have liked to see and not near the speed I wanted to see either. Sully Og got injured there two seasons ago, a bad leg injury, and it stopped him from coming on to the ic scene. But last season Gerald should have brought him on. Not just a half a game here and there and not playing him in positions he's never played in ever before.

Where the club level is at and the underrage level is at..all is due to the idiots in the CB and more of their failures.
It is ridiculous, we have so many players and clubs in this county it should not be failing, but thanks to the CB it is.

There are more problems in Cork GAA, more massive, massive problems, then the intercounty scene at the minute, but I promise if the 08 team loose and disband, two things will happen.
If there is no resolution to the current arguement then I think we will see a massive pick up in the level of the club games, the ic players would finally actually get to train and play with their clubs, but that would come at a massive cost.
But at that stage hurling fans will have lost all interest and tollerance because the senior team will be relegated and in the Christy Ring Cup and despite some continuous pleas to the CB, they'll STILL do f**k all. The game will die in the county, slowly but surely and we'll be seeing rugby balls being kicked around the place instead, even more so then now.

Croí na hÉireann

Did I read that right, is Frank Murphy a Kilkenny man???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Reillers

Reillers

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2009/0205/1224240634222.html

Cork senior footballers statement

Below is the statement made by the 2008 Cork senior football panel on February 5th, in which they outline their support for the hurling panel and threaten to join them on strike after the National Football League.

Statement on behalf of the Cork Senior Football Panel 2008

We have been monitoring the current conflict between the Cork Senior Hurling Panel 2008 and the Executive of the Cork County Board for a number of months. We feel it is now time to clarify our position, which is that we fully support the stance taken by the 2008 hurling panel.

We confirm our unanimous agreement to withdraw our services as of the end of the National Football League unless a resolution is found to the satisfaction of the 2008 hurling and football panels.

We believe that Mr. Kieran Mulvey's Arbitration findings were an ideal template for the Executive and the players to begin working together for the benefit of the GAA in Cork and to help repair relations that have been damaged in the past.

Unfortunately, we believe that it is evident that the Executive would rather work against the Cork Hurling Panel of 2008 rather than work with them and we are fearful that Cork hurlers and footballers of the future will be put in the same position.

We do not believe that the Executive have acted with the best interest of Cork GAA at heart with their recent actions, whereby the spirit of the arbitration was not adhered to in the selection process.

We support the plea of the hurlers that a process, by which the clubs discuss and debate the issue, in an appropriate time-frame, would begin as soon as possible. We would urge all Cork GAA followers to actively and urgently engage with their clubs so their views can be reflected at club and county level.