McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 05, 2009, 12:29:42 AM
Ah ease up Reillers, 'lies and bullshit'? The 2008 panel have most definitely implied they could beat Kilkenny if everything was there to suit them. Read their statement, the lines and between the lines. But read the the statement!!!!!! I don't like using exclamation marks but.......... A betting man would say despite this dispute Cork would be lucky to beat Tipp in the next few years.

SHow me anywhere where they have said or you think they implied that they are the only ones who can beat KK.
Cork would have an excellent chance of winning an AI if we had everything our own way in Cork. But we've never had anything our way, and every single player has had to fight for every single inch of what they have gotten, so much energy and time has been wasted on them fighting the CB for that inch that would have been a given to any other county in the country.
And Tipp, you want a team that believes what's written about them it's Tipp. And until they stop reading the headlines they wont win anything for a long time and they will not touch KK.
I said it was lies and bullshit because you said that they imply that they are the only team that can beat KK. They've not said nor implied even though a lot of people think it's true anything of the sort.

And you know what if we had a decent manager and the players that should have been brought in were brought in and played and we had the likes of Sully Og who will be (should be) the next best thing, you honestly wouldn't believe that he's related to the Rock, never mind his brother, Shane O Neill will only get better and better and was robbed an All Star imo, and Horgan I've never seen a player that new with that much confidence and he'll only get better as well and Naughton, the way he cut threw the Tipp players like they were butter in Munster last season was no fluke, when he's at top speed and top flight he's unstopable, he was robbed an All Star and HOTY Og, he was (yes special circumstances because Canning is amazing) the best most consistant young player and he too will only get better and better..and the list goes on. Playing and playing well there would be little that could stop them if the balance was found between older and younger players.

Tipp and Galway were last year and appear to be again this season (Waterford were the team before) the media's favourites (Dublin are always that team in football). Which means no matter what they ill plug and plug them and write them up to have great chances of winning the AI and each them they fall and the only ones left (usually) at the end of the day are Cork and KK.
And no "media team" will win an AI. And hell Waterford for two years there before last season were firm favs in the media and buckled everytime under the pressure, and when did they stop bottleing it and get to the final..when they went out of the media spotlight. The same will happen with Tipp and maybe Galway.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
Because they didn't try

Message to planet Reillers - they did try - perhaps they have better things to do such as run our association than intervene in the annual hurling strike in Cork..

passedit

Quote from: heffo on February 05, 2009, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
Because they didn't try

Message to planet Reillers - they did try - perhaps they have better things to do such as run our association than intervene in the annual hurling strike in Cork..
What? Better than figuring out why THEIR employee was running one of the largest units into the the ground for his own petty agenda? Maybe they could revisit the five year rule and work out how to stop it being circumvented by this jobs for the boys culture.

Don't Panic

orangeman

But it's Gerald they want rid of - Frank is dead on and can stay on to defend their honour when needed - sure haven't they won a load of titles under his guiding hand ? It's only since they lost to KK in 2006 that the problems have arisen.

Zulu

At this stage OM you're only a WUM, or at least I hope you because if some of the things you post are genuine thoughts and opinions I'd worry about you.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on February 05, 2009, 09:42:00 AM
At this stage OM you're only a WUM, or at least I hope you because if some of the things you post are genuine thoughts and opinions I'd worry about you.

I share your concerns.  ;)

dowling

Reillers I'd agree with some of your points but to say Tipp are simply a media team is off the mark. As for Tipp belief, well if the 2008 Cork panel can have belief why not Tipp. As for the panel implying they were the only ones capable of beating Kilkenny, well I think we would all agree that if you could beat Kilkenny there would be a good chance of winning the AI. It's just a play on words. I do agree about the young boys coming through but was it not Gerald who brought them on?
And what did you think of what Babs had to say?

The GAA

Genuinely i believe he's just that stupid

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 05, 2009, 10:27:13 AM

Genuinely i believe he's just that stupid

Not like you degree boyos !!! All brain and no commonsense - dah !

orangeman

You lads should take the Cork job next year if Gerald goes. You'd be ideal - attending to their every need. Defending them in the face of anything negative that might be said about them.

It doesn't matter that you live in a different world to the rest of us. Not at all.

Cork hurling and Armagh hurling - same thing.

INDIANA

One relevent point Keating makes though is the demise of cork club hurling. I lived down there for a couple of years and I was amazed how ordinary it was in comparison to the likes of kilkenny and even tipperary and the club games I had seen there. Has had an impact on the senior side in recent years. Bar newtown I didn't really see another class side and even found the divsional teams very disappointing. Not what I expected from a county that is now second in the role of honour and at that time i think were first.
Maybe if there were less strikes then everyone could focus on hurling in the likes of cork city before its extinct.

The GAA

Only thing we have in common is road bowls but thats a major reason for our traditional relationship.

i wouldn't be good enough to coach at that level. it's important to know your limitations. pity a few more didn't

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on February 05, 2009, 10:39:48 AM
One relevent point Keating makes though is the demise of cork club hurling. I lived down there for a couple of years and I was amazed how ordinary it was in comparison to the likes of kilkenny and even tipperary and the club games I had seen there. Has had an impact on the senior side in recent years. Bar newtown I didn't really see another class side and even found the divsional teams very disappointing. Not what I expected from a county that is now second in the role of honour and at that time i think were first.
Maybe if there were less strikes then everyone could focus on hurling in the likes of cork city before its extinct.

I think that is a major issue indiana. i've watched a fair bit of club championship in cork and it's competitive but the standard isn't great.
another worry is the growing areas where hurling is at best fading out. its a vast county in terms of geography and population but seems very badly organised.
obviously te competitiveness of the county team will only be a step behind that of its club teams

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 05, 2009, 10:44:00 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 05, 2009, 10:39:48 AM

I think that is a major issue indiana. i've watched a fair bit of club championship in cork and it's competitive but the standard isn't great.
another worry is the growing areas where hurling is at best fading out. its a vast county in terms of geography and population but seems very badly organised.
obviously te competitiveness of the county team will only be a step behind that of its club teams

Whose fault is it that hurling at club level in Cork isn't that great ? I suppose it's Franks again ?

orangeman

Even if Gerald does resign / get sacked or whatever and the strikers call off industrial action, what has their action achieved ?

A very hollow victory ?

Or will it as they have proclaimed, have saved Cork's hurling future ??

Will the 2008 panel be viewed by supporters ( who admired them for what they achieved on the field ) in the same way ?.

The pressure will then be heaped upon any future manager and on the 2008 panel. They'll have to win the AI to justify their actions.