Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

GAA Press Release

4th February 2009

The GAA has confirmed that, over recent days, Croke Park has been in
contact with the various parties involved in the Cork hurling impasse in
an effort to establish if the Association nationally could be of
assistance in moving the matter forward.

Having listened carefully to their respective views on the matter, Croke
Park acknowledges that all parties recognise that the current situation
is not in the best interests of Cork hurling and have a shared desire to
see the matter resolved.

However, having reflected on their stated positions, Croke Park is
regretfully of the view that there is no apparent meaningful role for
Central Council at this time.

Visit the Munster Council GAA Web site at http://munster.gaa.ie

I flew down to langerland on Monday morning and their was a senior ranking GAA official on the flight, was wondering what was up on a cold snowy Monday morning dragging him out from Dublin but there you have it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Eoghan Mag

Good Reillers at least you can see that if we all accept that it is right what happened to football then we also have to accept that bad decisions by a county board must also be accepted. This I think is where you are fighting your battle viewpoint from and instead of just pointing out the Cork issues in the debate you might expand a bit and use some other examples outside of Cork to reinforce your troops of posts. By just isolating this as a Cork debate is where people switch off. When you can tie in examples that outsiders can relate to then the logic of your debate might be seen plus add to the importance of this to the GAA central council who might then see fit to actually do something.  

Zulu

It wasn't a bad decision, it was a malicious one that is the point.

QuoteTo Zulu
Quote from: theskull1 on Today at 08:55:04 PM
Obviously the 2002 dispute has left it's mark in the psyche of the protaganists of the time and as a result relationships have been soured permanently for all involved. Only when they each move on will peace reign in Cork again and people can get back to respecting what each other is doing to at least try and make it work.

I agree totally but it is the CB that won't move on IMO not the players.

QuoteZulu can you not even see how unfair the current system is? A 'big' county can get the chance to beat a 'little' county twice. I believe my system is fairer than the current shambles.

I think the current system isn't perfect but it is reasonably fair, most teams get a second chance regardless of ability so nobody can complain too much if they are knocked out after losing two games. In fact the only teams that don't get a second chance are the provincial champions. As for your system, you'll have to expand on it a bit further as I'm not 100% how it works for each team all the way through to the AI final.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 09:23:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2009, 09:11:36 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhsnqlgbidid/

Efforts by the GAA to find a solution to the crisis in Cork hurling have been unsuccessful, it was announced tonight.

The row centres around the 2008 senior player panel's refusal to play for manager Gerald McCarthy.

A resolution to the matter now seems ever more unlikely, given the apparent failure of an attempted intervention by the GAA Central Council in the controversy.

A statement from the GAA issued tonight read: "The GAA has confirmed that, over recent days, Croke Park has been in contact with the various parties involved in the Cork hurling impasse in an effort to establish if the Association nationally could be of assistance in moving the matter forward."

"Having listened carefully to their respective views on the matter, Croke Park acknowledges that all parties recognise that the current situation is not in the best interests of Cork hurling and have a shared desire to see the matter resolved.

"However, having reflected on their stated positions, Croke Park is regretfully of the view that there is no apparent meaningful role for Central Council at this time."

Well at least the GAA can pretend like they tried..there's leadership for ya.

What would you have had them done? Grab Frank, Donal og & Ger Mac off the streets and lock them in a broom cupboard until it's sorted.

There's no common ground on either side - neither side will budge an inch so what could central council have achieved?

Reillers - if you were a Central council officer what would you have done differently (bearing TO 2009 in mind)?

Reillers

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on February 04, 2009, 09:51:57 PM
Good Reillers at least you can see that if we all accept that it is right what happened to football then we also have to accept that bad decisions by a county board must also be accepted. This I think is where you are fighting your battle viewpoint from and instead of just pointing out the Cork issues in the debate you might expand a bit and use some other examples outside of Cork to reinforce your troops of posts. By just isolating this as a Cork debate is where people switch off. When you can tie in examples that outsiders can relate to then the logic of your debate might be seen plus add to the importance of this to the GAA central council who might then see fit to actually do something.  

True..but then using that arguement makes the players seem more millitant. People will think oh no one else does anything and they have it bad. People think that oh the Cork players should do nothing either, but what I hate is that people want them to put up with it because that's the way it goes in the GAA, shut up or put up, it's shite and we know it but we're not going to fix it and ye the players have no right to question in.
The 2002 strike was one of the best things to happen for players. The players who earn the GAA their precious money. The GAA itself owes a lot of where it is now to the intercounty players and give them nothing, no respect, nothing. Now I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about the time of day.
Like them or hate them, the GPA have gone a long way in players rights, which a lot of "old" GAA people don't think they deserve.

And the GAA central council have said they're not going to do anything which is bullshit.
They didn't try, but atleast this half assed attempt and statement means they can pretend that they tried.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on February 04, 2009, 10:09:18 PM

Efforts by the GAA to find a solution to the crisis in Cork hurling have been unsuccessful, it was announced tonight.

The row centres around the 2008 senior player panel's refusal to play for manager Gerald McCarthy.

A resolution to the matter now seems ever more unlikely, given the apparent failure of an attempted intervention by the GAA Central Council in the controversy.

A statement from the GAA issued tonight read: "The GAA has confirmed that, over recent days, Croke Park has been in contact with the various parties involved in the Cork hurling impasse in an effort to establish if the Association nationally could be of assistance in moving the matter forward."

"Having listened carefully to their respective views on the matter, Croke Park acknowledges that all parties recognise that the current situation is not in the best interests of Cork hurling and have a shared desire to see the matter resolved.

"However, having reflected on their stated positions, Croke Park is regretfully of the view that there is no apparent meaningful role for Central Council at this time."

What would you have had them done? Grab Frank, Donal og & Ger Mac off the streets and lock them in a broom cupboard until it's sorted.

There's no common ground on either side - neither side will budge an inch so what could central council have achieved?

Reillers - if you were a Central council officer what would you have done differently (bearing TO 2009 in mind)?

Nothing, even though shoving them all in a room isn't a half bad idea. They didn't try, and probably would it have mattered.
There was no common ground and the suggestion to have them intervene was ridiculous by the CB (low and behold backed 90 to 4 or some ridiculously high onesided backing) but they, like the GAA did it so they could pretend like they were doing something.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 10:19:43 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 04, 2009, 10:09:18 PM

Nothing, even though shoving them all in a room isn't a half bad idea. They didn't try, and probably would it have mattered.
There was no common ground and the suggestion to have them intervene was ridiculous by the CB (low and behold backed 90 to 4 or some ridiculously high onesided backing) but they, like the GAA did it so they could pretend like they were doing something.

So I'll ask the question again - why the negative vibes towards Central council given that you've admitted there was nothing they could do..

Reillers

Because they didn't try, and if they wont do anything who will, FM can now get away with whatever he wants more then ever because no one is willing to even try, and the Clubs wont rebel against them. So bar some miracle..that's it.
The GAA didn't try though and they didn't want to from the start. There's a better chance, no matter how small of something happening if they were shoved around a table then if they weren't.

orangeman

A lot of very good, very honourable and very decent GAA people have attempted to try and get the strikers to see sense but regretably the strikers believe that they're bigger than the very association itself, bigger than the players that went before them, bigger than the officials who have served the association for longer than most of them have been on this earth.

This story about doing this for Cork hurling is now being shown up for what it is - bullshit.

Croke Park can't do a thing with them - the they're beyond talking to. They've conducted themselves in a disgraceful manner and have shown total disregard and disrespect to everybody and everything.

It's now past time for them to take a bow - leave the stage and hand over the reins to the young lads who want to wear the jersey for their county and not run round Mallow on Saturday in new Adidas sponsored kit and conduct press conferences to put thier side of a petty squabble behind them. If they had put as much effort in against Kilkenny last year in Croker they'd have perhaps achieved better results.

Will the strikers do this and retire gracefully ???

Of course they won't. No chance !!!

Thry're bigger than that !

dowling

Here's something to consider. Galway on their day can beat anyone. Clare on their day likewise and have thrown up surprise results to show it. Waterford could challange anyone on their day until the players decided Justin was to blame. Look how that ended up. Limerick have surprised people and Wexford and Offaly, and maybe Dublin yet cant be counted out against anyone. Of course there's also Tipp and a hurling man and a betting man would have to say that, regardless of who was managing Cork, Tipp are the top Munster county now and very much on the rise. The 2008 Cork panel are insulting all counties be implying they are the only ones capable of challanging Kilkenny and deluding themselves at the same time that it's all down to the manager.
Surprised no one put this up unless I missed it.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Babs: Tipp not smiling at Cork turmoil
By Jim O'Sullivan

BABS KEATING believes it's time for the striking Cork hurlers 'to swallow their pride' and make themselves available for selection, maintaining the type of performances they have given in recent years doesn't justify the stand they have taken.

"What Cork hurlers are demanding at the moment, no County Board can give in to that kind of blackmail in my opinion," the outspoken former Tipperary boss said yesterday. "If they do, the standing of county boards all over the country is diminished.

"I would encourage the players to go home and look in the mirror and think of what they are doing to young lads who are being sent out to play against Dublin next week and are being sent up to Thurles on Saturday week. Is it fair to these young lads?"

He went further by alleging that 'there was intimidation going on', saying it was obvious that younger members of the 2008 squad would like to play.

Keating admitted that part of him would have sympathy for the striking players — based on his experience of seeing things from both sides as player and manager. Only a few weeks away from his 65th birthday, he said he would love to turn the clock back and tog out in a Munster final again — 'particularly a Cork/Tipp final'.

"I'm thinking of the age we are living in and the profile the GAA has, as we saw last Saturday night in Croke Park. Some of those players, if they don't get hold of themselves sooner rather than later, might never wear the Cork jersey again. I had my disagreements with selectors and all, but at the end of the day a player has enough to think about in preparing, getting himself ready and playing his own game.

"That's the way they should be thinking. Collectively then, under a manager and with the help of good players around you, you talk team tactics and you talk about the opposition.

"The big difficulty I see with the present Cork players is the performances they have given over the last few years. There's not one of them can honestly stand up and be a spokesperson for Cork hurling — because they haven't given those kind of class performances themselves to justify the stand they are taking. I am being hard on them there, but I am being very truthful."

He said it was the form of the experienced players which cost Cork victory against Tipperary in the Munster championship in Páirc Uí Chaoimh last June — 'and not the inexperienced players up front that the selectors changed'.

"Young (Seamus) Callinan cleaned out Ronan Curran for most of the second half. We saw no ten out of ten performance from a Cork hurler last year. Donal Óg seems to be the spokesperson, but I would be critical of his puck-outs. In the old days Tommy Leahy would say to (Tipp goalie) John O'Donoghue, 'you puck the ball out the way it's going to come back'. I saw him (Cusack) pucking balls out and they kept coming back.''

Despite claims to contrary, Keating insisted that nobody in Tipperary was smiling at Cork's difficulties. "Nobody wants to a match the easy way and no hurling county wants the kind of problems that Gerald McCarthy and the Cork County Board are going through at the moment.

"That's not what the true hurling person wants. If there's anybody with that attitude in Cork they should get hold of themselves. Hurling is bigger than us all."

He has also been disappointed with comments coming from some former Cork managers, believing they were not 'helpful,' and wondering if 'there was an agenda there'. The role of the GPA was also questioned, saying that there was 'no sign' of the players body helping out.

"What baffles me altogether is the behaviour of the two O'Sullivans. I'm sure my son wouldn't do to me what they are doing to their father. Diarmuid O'Sullivan had a great time with the Cork hurlers for the last ten years. Now his father has this opportunity to be chairman of the County Board. I'd be sorry for the man but I'd be saying 'get hold of yourself'."

Keating has no doubt that the League game against Tipperary in Semple Stadium on February 14 (which will mark the turning on of the new floodlighting system) will be devalued by Cork sending up a third or fourth choice team. In his view it's the 'responsibility' of the striking players to ensure it does not happen. "Have the Cork players actually spoken to Gerald?'' he asked. "Any report I have seen or any comment from Gerald is that he is available to talk.

"Cork are facing a huge problem from centre-field up to corner-forward at the moment and you'd have to say that Gerald and Ger Fitzgerald — having played in these positions — are better equipped to deal with that than most.

"They are all giving out about Gerald's ability to coach and train, but I have been watching club hurling in Cork and I went to the county final the year before last. I haven't seen outstanding performances coming from any team in Cork trained by other coaches. Cork county champions have been no threat in the Munster club competition for the last few years."

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 11:49:46 PM
A lot of very good, very honourable and very decent GAA people have attempted to try and get the strikers to see sense but regretably the strikers believe that they're bigger than the very association itself, bigger than the players that went before them, bigger than the officials who have served the association for longer than most of them have been on this earth.

This story about doing this for Cork hurling is now being shown up for what it is - bullshit.
Wanting to win AI's is in the best interest for Cork hurling. It's not bullshit.

Croke Park can't do a thing with them - the they're beyond talking to. They've conducted themselves in a disgraceful manner and have shown total disregard and disrespect to everybody and everything.

That is bullshit of the higest level. You know what's "disrespectful"....you. You lecture about respect and disregard for people, you haven't and wont give the players the time of day, not because you don't agree with them but because you passionatley hate them and you expect us to buy the bullshit you come out with about not being biased.
Please, please try and justify to me how the CB showed respect to the players when they gave McCarthy the job again, please, please show me how you in your little mind can justify what they did as being in the best interest of Cork GAA.
But oh no in your book the players should never get respect because they are just that players and God forbid they get some rights.

It's now past time for them to take a bow - leave the stage and hand over the reins to the young lads who want to wear the jersey for their county and not run round Mallow on Saturday in new Adidas sponsored kit and conduct press conferences to put thier side of a petty squabble behind them. If they had put as much effort in against Kilkenny last year in Croker they'd have perhaps achieved better results.

35 statements to the press is Gerald's count, the players have made 9. They are right on this and they shouldn't have to "take a bow" because they aren't following status quo. You try to hide your bias for a post or two but then it just comes out in waves and your hate is clearly evident here. And by the way it's clear that no one wants to wear the jersey in the current state of things with the CB. Do you know how many people Gerald McCarthy and co went through before they found a few young lads willing to play.

Will the strikers do this and retire gracefully ???

Of course they won't. No chance !!!

Thry're bigger than that !

The players are right on this one and part of the reason I hope they hold out on this is because of people like you.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 05, 2009, 12:07:42 AM
Here's something to consider. Galway on their day can beat anyone. Clare on their day likewise and have thrown up surprise results to show it. Waterford could challange anyone on their day until the players decided Justin was to blame. Look how that ended up. Limerick have surprised people and Wexford and Offaly, and maybe Dublin yet cant be counted out against anyone. Of course there's also Tipp and a hurling man and a betting man would have to say that, regardless of who was managing Cork, Tipp are the top Munster county now and very much on the rise. The 2008 panel are insulting all counties be implying they are the only ones capable of challanging Cork and deluding themselves at the same time. 
I presume you mean challenging KK. And not once has anyone on the panel or anyone who has anything to do with the team said anything like that whatsoever so basically what you just said was lies and bullshit.

orangeman

Reillers - Please - they're ex players - they're strikers - not players - they might be running round Mallow or whatever training ground they're using at the moment but they're stikers - not players.

They're like the continuity Cork brigade.

It is time for them to take a bow - they've served Cork hurling well in the past but not as well as their own self importance makes them believe they have.

dowling

Ah ease up Reillers, 'lies and bullshit'? The 2008 panel have most definitely implied they could beat Kilkenny if everything was there to suit them. Read their statement, the lines and between the lines. But read the the statement!!!!!! I don't like using exclamation marks but.......... A betting man would say despite this dispute Cork would be lucky to beat Tipp in the next few years.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 05, 2009, 12:20:56 AM
Reillers - Please - they're ex players - they're strikers - not players - they might be running round Mallow or whatever training ground they're using at the moment but they're stikers - not players.

They're like the continuity Cork brigade.

It is time for them to take a bow - they've served Cork hurling well in the past but not as well as their own self importance makes them believe they have.

Yet again you backpeddle on your own post and refuse to answer mine. You at this stage are beyond a joke.