McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on February 03, 2009, 05:55:27 PM
On an aside to this all, with the so called Cork B team representing their county in the GAA, I wonder do the GPA offer advice and support to them.  Or is only to the so called Cork A team ie the status quo of Cork players. 

I clarified a few days ago that the Cork panel of 2009 are being blanked by the GPA as if they don't exist - no contact, no membership forms sent out. The don't exist in the eyes of the GPA.

theskull1

The GPA as much as I would like to think otherwise are not fools and are obviously keeping their distance from this dispute publically (although you'll forgive me for thinking there's duplicity considering the personalities involved) so as not to be seen to take sides.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

On an aside to this all, with the so called Cork B team representing their county in the GAA, I wonder do the GPA offer advice and support to them.  Or is only to the so called Cork A team ie the status quo of Cork players. 

..Try D team.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 03, 2009, 07:44:26 PM

..Try D team.

You're right Reillers - it's probably more like the D team.

So why be surprised that Portumna / Waterford IT, Limerick have already beaten them ?

It'll be a job well done if they can hold Dublin to a dozen points next week. Tipp should beat them 30.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2009, 08:06:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 03, 2009, 07:44:26 PM

..Try D team.

You're right Reillers - it's probably more like the D team.

So why be surprised that Portumna / Waterford IT, Limerick have already beaten them ?

It'll be a job well done if they can hold Dublin to a dozen points next week. Tipp should beat them 30.

Not surprised at all. A job well done if they can hold Dublin to a dozen points next week and Tipp by 30?..True..but you think that the Cork public will except a big loss to either of them, especially Dublin..and then Tipp..humiliating wouldn't even begin to sum it up.

A loss to Dublin, and especially if the loss margin is big, will get the public fully behind getting the real team back, because, all due respect to Dublin but they should be teams we're beating out of the water if we want to do well. Dublin are improving as a team but if we're looking for an AI we need to be beating teams like Dublin and beating them well.
If we get trashed by Dublin McCarthy will be in a lot of trouble because as much as these morals and principles and opinions count for now, people wont give two shits if we loose to Dublin, and by a lot. A lot for McCarthy will ride on the Dublin game if they loose and loose by a lot he'll loose support and likewise if we loose to Tipp by a lot.
Winning an AI final is everything to Cork fans..so loosing to Dublin would be like swallowing sandpaper.

Cork fans, even those who back McCarthy at the minute, don't think he's a good manager, it'll turn their stomachs. And then no poor me victimised statement about honour and pride will work and lads trying their best will work. You watched the press conference, he's made what, 35 odd statments to the media, the players have made 8/9 (I'm open for correction I think that was the numbers.)

The oh poor me statments will have feck all effect, no CB PR machine can fix the humiliation of that.

orangeman

And if the team get hammered, the knights in shining armour who have been training away on their own, will rescue the county and all will be well again in that world inhaibted by Donal Og and co. !  ;)

Eoghan Mag

I tend to agree with orangeman here. The 2009 panel may be helping the 2008 panel by playing well below par just so that Gerald McCarthy does end up getting the boot.

dowling

Posted on: Today at 05:55:27 PMPosted by: rrhf 

Don't think this is an aside at all rrhf and indeed it's a very valid question. There's no doubt the existence of another team, be it a B or D team, of which there wasn't one last year poses a dilema for the GPA and is probably another factor as to why they're in the background. But the question also shows the mess the srtike has brought to Cork GAA because the 2008 panel couldn't foresee the consequences of their action if they didn't get an immediate result. The onus must now be on the2008 panel to end this dispute regardless of whether they decide to make themselves available and even if it means losing face to some extent so that the situation doesn't get any worse. Maybe too this is the only way they can show now they have the interests of Cork at heart and regain respect in areas where they've lost it.
Hoping Cork get beat by some many points by Dublin resulting in calls for GMCC's head is both totally negative and an unrealistic way of resolving this.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2009, 10:08:55 PM
And if the team get hammered, the knights in shining armour who have been training away on their own, will rescue the county and all will be well again in that world inhaibted by Donal Og and co. !  ;)

That tends to be the idea, hopes from a lot of Cork fans. Like even McCarthy supporters in all of this, most, don't think he's a good manager. Gerald will be washed of in 5 seconds flat if the FM and co. want him to and surprise surprise the CB delegates will back back him, 93 to 7, or something ridiculous like that.

Whatever about what the Cb will do, if we get trashed by Dublin the little fans that are at that match, there will be even less against Tipp. He in the space of 1/2 games loose whatever support he has left.

theskull1

But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on February 03, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.

Ger Mac is the issue here (is there a massive issue, the main issue being FM, ya, are they looking for him to resign now, no.)  and it's to do with the process in which he was reappointed. Not FM. Is he THE problem in Cork GAA, without a doubt, but the players are not looking for his resignation.

Reillers

Lads the point has been brought up that the players are setting their standards too high and they shouldn't expect as good a standard as they got with O Grady and Allen.
But I have to ask ye, why?
Why shouldn't they expect the best?
These players did the press conference and imo came across excellently. They really did. You hear them talking about the crap they had to put up with, which put together it's a wonder why they bother turning up at training, a pointless horrible winter training.
You had examples of him not knowing Martin Coleman's name, despite the fact that he's been on the panel for years, or saying well done to Pa for making great runs when he wasn't even playing and getting Timmy Mac's club wrong and playing Sully Og in a position he's never played before.
..It does seem to raise the question of whether McCarthy was doing his honest best.

While, yes I'm comparing him, DOG and Allen and the players can tell the twins, identical twins, apart.
The high stanards from Allen and O Grady and the backroom teams was exceptional.
DOG inpraticularly was meticulous, he in many ways I think is a better coach then Cody, he didn't have half the time, nor backing to work with them, he didn't have the time to time his teams peak to perfection, or have physical training sessions because they'd nothing else to do. And O Grady's attention to detail was phenominal..and what it most be like for the players to have to put up with what they had with McCarthy after being used to DOG's standards most be incredibly hard to take.
There are so many examples like..

Corcoran said that "he was a brilliant coach.."you could tell that his technical knowledge of the sport was unsurpassed. He showed us ways of hooking and blocking that nobody had shown us before and yet it was so simple." IMO he is in a way better then Cody with things like that the hooking and blocking, his knowledge, his management skills, everything was just top class. No one knew the game better then he did..no one.
When Corcoran came out of retirement, on his first session back, O Grady told him he was holding his hurley wrong and wanted him to change it, at 31 years of age, and 20 years of old habbits..he picked up on those things. Which comparing that to McCarthy..I doubt we can even begin to calculate the difference the players see.

No one is saying that the players want the next messiah, but the fact that ye say that we should except only an ok manager, because not many people are as good as O Grady when it comes to standard of everything.
Does that mean we should except less?
The players would have no problem with Mulcahy, Cunnigham..etc. No problem at all. Just proper training, proper functioning.

Like anyone with their head screwed on who knew about hurling knew that for the past few years that Cork had the most professional set up, and that fact couldn't be argued with..and now. They'd be lucky to get a decent training session.

DOG did (and Allen) go above and beyond with this team and it was all about mind games as well that made him so intmadating to others. He (and Allen) had a natural authority and presence, there was an occasion when after a game, 2 officials on behalf of the Irish Sports Council came into the dressing room to conduct a random drug test. Donal Og and Sean Og were selected and as the four of them went into the toilets for the urine test, O Grady came in, asked what was going on here, the officials explained, O Grady asked to see some documentation, the two lads showed them the cares, and he pointed to some initials in small print.' What does this mean?' he asked. 'I don't know' one of the two lads confessed, like a schoolkid back in O Grady's principals office, 'it's my first day doilng this'. 'What you're drug testing my players and you can't tell me what this means?'

..Mind games, all about mind games.

O Grady and Allen did set extremley high standards. But the suggestion that we should settle for second best..it's wrong.

Plain and simple, it's just wrong.

Reillers

rrhf

Shame on the Cork 2008 panel.  Aside from letting down their county and failing to take up the call which is ther perogative, they are attempting to prevent their counties revival in the aftermath.  30 men attepting to hold up the entire senior hurling intercounty operation in Cork!  There biggest achievement to date is that they havent been railroaded out of town by genuine gaels in Cork and treated with the disdain they deserve.  If they  there is a new manager his perogative must be to weed out the old fogies causing this damage to Crok hurling and to rebuild a spirit in Cork Hurling which is dominated by respect for the jersey and not the demands of me or us.  The lack of respect of the GPA for the current Cork hurling representatives is surely an indication of the elitist policies and protection of the status quo that you sign up to when you become a member of the GPA.  Dessie your silence is deafening - Surely this is the biggest current issue for the GPA.   Make public your honest views and dont hide behind your footsoldiers in Cork - do you have to be a GPA member to gain the players rights that the GPA claim they provide and ensure?  Do long term members have greater rights than new entrants?  Most importantly have the GPA the right to decide who constitutes a county player these days?   Dessie I have a strong feeling you read this board and Im telling you your silence is golden for those who oppose what you embody - we are not stupid.  The GPA accordingly champions players rights - it obviously just depends on who is the player?  

rrhf

On another aside didnt one of the malcontents praise Mc Carthy in the same romanticised colourful language that the "love your county" bullshit is chorused in - talk of travelling the difficult road together through thick and thin etc last year.  Yet this year yer mans the worst manager in the world.  Correct me if im wrong GPA buddies.