McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on February 01, 2009, 10:17:10 PM
What did you lads make of the bit about the strike that was on Sunday Sport tonight about the strike ?.

What was the jist of it?

orangeman

The 2 club chairmen seemed to be saying that they didn't see a lot of merit in them talking to the players but that both sides should be sitting down and sorting it all out. They seemed frustrated that there was no talk between the sides, as only the 2 sides can sort it out.

I thought that Donal Og who was given the last word on the debate sounded a very ominous warning that they were quite prepared to take this fight as far as was necessary. The strikers or their leaders are not for backing down.

cicfada

Interesting that  Tomas Mulcahy said he would not like to be interviewed for a Cork manager's job in the future ie he would not like to go through an actual interview for the job but rather get it on his merits!

Reillers

The 09 team played Portumna in Mallow today. And lost..again.

4-18 to 2-14.

Saw the opener of the season, Tyrone v Dublin. 79,000 in Croker. Amazing night.
That was football.
Hurlings opener, it's real opener was suppsed to be Cork against Tipp under lights in Thurles.
Ya..there'll be f**k all Cork fans there and the ones that are there will be pleading them to turn the lights off.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 02, 2009, 01:16:14 AM
The 09 team played Portumna in Mallow today. And lost..again.

4-18 to 2-14.

Saw the opener of the season, Tyrone v Dublin. 79,000 in Croker. Amazing night.
That was football.
Hurlings opener, it's real opener was suppsed to be Cork against Tipp under lights in Thurles.
Ya..there'll be f**k all Cork fans there and the ones that are there will be pleading them to turn the lights off.

Reillers, go out next week and support your county. Support the young lads even if you don't support Mc Carthy or the CB. And encourage everybody else to do the same.

passedit

QuoteMcCarthy should do decent thing and resign

By Tony Considine
HAVE GAA administrators got too much power? Reading the statement by the Cork players (which, by the way, contains a lot of stuff that I already said here a couple of months ago), that's the question that really jumps out at me.

It's a question that's reinforced by what's been happening generally in this society anyway over the last few years, with all the problems we now have in our financial institutions, in our civil service, in our health service, in our government – too much power invested in too few people, with those people then making too many poor decisions, with the people who most matter then suffering the most.

That's what has happened in Cork. That is what has led to this current mess. The people who matter most here are the Cork players and the Cork supporters, but their wishes have been ignored by the administrators, the executive members of the Cork County Board.

I wasn't at that meeting Monday night where the Cork panel of 2008 – the whole Cork panel, let it be noted, and we'll come back to that – met the media. But I've heard people commenting about how dignified the players were, how intelligent, how sincere.

Does that surprise anyone? Why should it even be worthy of comment? Isn't that exactly what we've come to expect from these Cork players? Because of my involvement with the Examiner over that period, I've met many of those lads, and I've always been impressed. everywhere they've gone, on and off the field, they've brought credit to hurling. As far as I'm concerned, they still do.

People were saying the youngsters on this panel were being influenced by the more experienced players — well, why not? What better role models could they have than the likes of Seán Óg Ó hAilpín, Donal Óg Cusack and the O'Connor twins?

These older guys are outstanding role models, hard-working, disciplined, totally dedicated to Cork, and to winning. What more can you ask? But, have the younger players been bullied by those older players? When you meet and talk to guys like Shane O'Neill, Kevin Hartnett, like Cathal Naughton, when you see them hurl, do you really think all those guys don't have minds of their own? After Monday night, no-one can be in any doubt – these guys are their own men.

Which brings me to an important point. One of the main planks of the whole Cork management team was that many of the younger members of the panel wanted to play but were being intimidated by the older guys, with Gerald McCarthy, Teddy McCarthy and others, along with the board itself, all saying issuing their own statements along those lines.

An insult, surely, to every member of the Cork panel, but a theory – and that's all it ever was, presented as fact but not a shred of proof ever offered – that has now, surely, been blown out of the water. All 30 players from last year's panel were there last night, all 30 stood up, all were counted. They were there ready to answer any question, by any journalist, however sceptical. Can anyone now doubt that these guys are genuinely together on this? Can anyone doubt any longer their sincerity? Can anyone doubt that they are really finished with Gerald McCarthy? The top 30 hurlers in Cork last year; that means that after two years under his system the two top teams in Cork don't want to play for this manager – what does that tell you?

Surely to God it's time for the Cork county board to listen to those players, to listen to the Cork fans, who are now making themselves heard in no uncertain terms? What in the name of God is Gerald still doing as manager, when he hasn't lost just one dressing-room, he has lost two?

Even if the Cork county board doesn't move now, he should do the decent thing himself, and quit.

This has now reached crisis point, and there's only one resolution. If these players are lost to Cork, and to hurling, it will be a major loss, but if those supporters are lost to Cork, and lost to hurling, it might do irreparable damage.

THE Cork supporters – and I've long said this – are among the best in sport. In these recessionary times, the Cork administrators are taking a huge risk with that support, and not just for Cork – for all of hurling. If those fans stop supporting Cork, then the financial ramifications are huge, for the GAA itself and for all those venues where Cork get to play.

Ask the merchants of Thurles, or of Killarney, or of Limerick, what those Cork fans are like, and they'll tell you – the best. They come early, they stay late, they give their team unstinting support, and they give generously to the local shops, pubs and restaurants. All that is now at risk.

The players have called on the clubs to get involved in this. I believe that whenever major decisions are called for within a county, then the individual clubs should be represented by their own top officials — by their own chairman, by their own secretaries, by people who have already shown their own authority and won't be bullied by anyone.

I agree with the stance of the players on this – it's time for the individual clubs to stand up and be counted. If their delegates won't do it, then let it be done by the chairmen, let democracy take hold here. For too long the top officials at the top table at the county board have it their own way – time to change that, time to take back some of the decision-making, make the whole thing much more democratic, much more transparent.

To finish, I want to say this. Many of us have been managers, at various levels, and most of us have had our difficulties with individual players, even with groups of players. However, when 30 players — when your entire panel — say they don't want you, say they won't play for you, isn't it time to go?

If that doesn't happen in Cork, if Gerald doesn't resign now, by himself, without waiting for this get even worse, then even Boutros Boutros-Ghali wouldn't solve it.

Cork cuteness? There's been nothing cute about this, definitely not from the Cork county board.

Time for change.
Don't Panic

orangeman

Quote from: passedit on February 02, 2009, 12:28:58 PM
QuoteMcCarthy should do decent thing and resign

By Tony Considine
HAVE GAA administrators got too much power? Reading the statement by the Cork players (which, by the way, contains a lot of stuff that I already said here a couple of months ago), that’s the question that really jumps out at me.

It’s a question that’s reinforced by what’s been happening generally in this society anyway over the last few years, with all the problems we now have in our financial institutions, in our civil service, in our health service, in our government – too much power invested in too few people, with those people then making too many poor decisions, with the people who most matter then suffering the most.

That’s what has happened in Cork. That is what has led to this current mess. The people who matter most here are the Cork players and the Cork supporters, but their wishes have been ignored by the administrators, the executive members of the Cork County Board.

I wasn’t at that meeting Monday night where the Cork panel of 2008 – the whole Cork panel, let it be noted, and we’ll come back to that – met the media. But I’ve heard people commenting about how dignified the players were, how intelligent, how sincere.

Does that surprise anyone? Why should it even be worthy of comment? Isn’t that exactly what we’ve come to expect from these Cork players? Because of my involvement with the Examiner over that period, I’ve met many of those lads, and I’ve always been impressed. everywhere they’ve gone, on and off the field, they’ve brought credit to hurling. As far as I’m concerned, they still do.

People were saying the youngsters on this panel were being influenced by the more experienced players — well, why not? What better role models could they have than the likes of Seán Óg Ó hAilpín, Donal Óg Cusack and the O’Connor twins?

These older guys are outstanding role models, hard-working, disciplined, totally dedicated to Cork, and to winning. What more can you ask? But, have the younger players been bullied by those older players? When you meet and talk to guys like Shane O’Neill, Kevin Hartnett, like Cathal Naughton, when you see them hurl, do you really think all those guys don’t have minds of their own? After Monday night, no-one can be in any doubt – these guys are their own men.

Which brings me to an important point. One of the main planks of the whole Cork management team was that many of the younger members of the panel wanted to play but were being intimidated by the older guys, with Gerald McCarthy, Teddy McCarthy and others, along with the board itself, all saying issuing their own statements along those lines.

An insult, surely, to every member of the Cork panel, but a theory – and that’s all it ever was, presented as fact but not a shred of proof ever offered – that has now, surely, been blown out of the water. All 30 players from last year’s panel were there last night, all 30 stood up, all were counted. They were there ready to answer any question, by any journalist, however sceptical. Can anyone now doubt that these guys are genuinely together on this? Can anyone doubt any longer their sincerity? Can anyone doubt that they are really finished with Gerald McCarthy? The top 30 hurlers in Cork last year; that means that after two years under his system the two top teams in Cork don’t want to play for this manager – what does that tell you?

Surely to God it’s time for the Cork county board to listen to those players, to listen to the Cork fans, who are now making themselves heard in no uncertain terms? What in the name of God is Gerald still doing as manager, when he hasn’t lost just one dressing-room, he has lost two?

Even if the Cork county board doesn’t move now, he should do the decent thing himself, and quit.

This has now reached crisis point, and there’s only one resolution. If these players are lost to Cork, and to hurling, it will be a major loss, but if those supporters are lost to Cork, and lost to hurling, it might do irreparable damage.

THE Cork supporters – and I’ve long said this – are among the best in sport. In these recessionary times, the Cork administrators are taking a huge risk with that support, and not just for Cork – for all of hurling. If those fans stop supporting Cork, then the financial ramifications are huge, for the GAA itself and for all those venues where Cork get to play.

Ask the merchants of Thurles, or of Killarney, or of Limerick, what those Cork fans are like, and they’ll tell you – the best. They come early, they stay late, they give their team unstinting support, and they give generously to the local shops, pubs and restaurants. All that is now at risk.

The players have called on the clubs to get involved in this. I believe that whenever major decisions are called for within a county, then the individual clubs should be represented by their own top officials — by their own chairman, by their own secretaries, by people who have already shown their own authority and won’t be bullied by anyone.

I agree with the stance of the players on this – it’s time for the individual clubs to stand up and be counted. If their delegates won’t do it, then let it be done by the chairmen, let democracy take hold here. For too long the top officials at the top table at the county board have it their own way – time to change that, time to take back some of the decision-making, make the whole thing much more democratic, much more transparent.

To finish, I want to say this. Many of us have been managers, at various levels, and most of us have had our difficulties with individual players, even with groups of players. However, when 30 players — when your entire panel — say they don’t want you, say they won’t play for you, isn’t it time to go?

If that doesn’t happen in Cork, if Gerald doesn’t resign now, by himself, without waiting for this get even worse, then even Boutros Boutros-Ghali wouldn’t solve it.

Cork cuteness? There’s been nothing cute about this, definitely not from the Cork county board.

Time for change.

It's a pity Tony didn't practice what he preaches !!!

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 02, 2009, 01:23:25 AM
Reillers, go out next week and support your county. Support the young lads even if you don't support Mc Carthy or the CB. And encourage everybody else to do the same.

I don't see why he should be emotionally blackmailed into feeling he must support young lads who the county board have put in this awkward position.

although the rebel jersey will be worn by 15 players, it represents the entire county including clubs, memebers and county board. if he feels he does not support all of those entities he'd be entitled to withdraw his support.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 02, 2009, 12:51:57 PM
Quote from: orangeman on February 02, 2009, 01:23:25 AM

I don't see why he should be emotionally blackmailed into feeling he must support young lads who the county board have put in this awkward position.

although the rebel jersey will be worn by 15 players, it represents the entire county including clubs, memebers and county board. if he feels he does not support all of those entities he'd be entitled to withdraw his support.

And that's ok in your book ?

The GAA

absolutely. My father never went to watch my club for three years until a certain chairman and secretary were removed

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 02, 2009, 01:11:50 PM

absolutely. My father never went to watch my club for three years until a certain chairman and secretary were removed

Did it make him feel better ?

In hindsight did he have any regrets no going to support his club / team that he obviously felt strongly enough about in order to stay away ?

Was it worth staying away for ?

I know you're going to say that it was worth it, but was it really ? Might he not have been better trying to get rid of them from within ?

The GAA

Reillers

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera