McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 29, 2009, 11:44:59 PM
Its never been tried reillers. If these players are such heroes, why did they lose the cork public's support so quickly? They should have left Mc Carthy to one side and gone after the root cause- Frank Murphy . Get the clubs on their side, then frank would have a job on his hands. this way they made it easy for him and allowed them to claim the moral high ground and win the PR battle.
And you think they lost the Cork public's support.
At that start it was a lot of emotion a lot of Gerald a past hero, the players heroes now. It was very tit for tat but after it calmed down and when it did the facts where there, the cold hard facts and like it was said the pendulam has swung in behind the players now.
It was the appointment of McCarthy that annoyed them but McCarthy really made it about him, he personalised it. He should have had the decency, the brains to walk away, what kinda person stays after loosing not one but two dressing rooms, he lost the players, they needed a mediator to get to the end of the season for God's sake, he's had a terrible record, he told the players if they didn't want him to go for the job again if the players didn't want him to, but he did. He made himself bigger and he made the problem surround him. Any other manager with the common sense and decency would have walked away, in any other county he would have been fired.
The clubs wont back the players because Murphy dictates every single thing they do, I don't know how many more ways I can say it before ye see it.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 29, 2009, 11:47:33 PM
You have no clue if you organized properly and put forward your views in a diplomatic and respectful way that you could have swayed opinion in the right places. I know that because youse didn't try to. And if you didn't achieve what you wanted to then surely democracy will have spoken and youse still had a the option of saying "hey we tried to get through to them but they wouldn't listen......I'm not prepared personally to commit to the 2009 this year....I'll let everyone else make their own decision"

Secondly the actions the strikers have decided upon has guaranteed impact. But sadly their undemocratic chest beating has made sure that dirty looks will be cast across cork for many years to come as lines are drawn.

Common sense for anybody that wanted things to run smooth at the far side of this dispute.

There is no such thing as democracy in the CCB, in the clubs. It's the most curropted, useless system, it's pathetic and pointless. The meetings are pointles they are just for the books, every decision made in the meeting isn't by the people, it wants FM wants and it's backed nearly 100%. I know, it's a common fact that people go into those meetings and don't vote the way the club asked them to.
You think that saying please to the club would fix that. Naivity at it's highest point.
Undemocratic..a secret ballot. 100%. If this wasn't undemocratic people wouldn't have voted that way.

The CB have been the only source of the problems in Cork GAA, the players have been incredibly naive and they have admited that. But when I say ye have no idea, it's not a passive comment to ignore what ye have said, it means just that, ye know nothing, nor should ye.

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on January 29, 2009, 11:53:18 PM
The clubs wont back the players because Murphy dictates every single thing they do, I don't know how many more ways I can say it before ye see it.

You see this confuses the hell out of me. How do the striking players intend to win this dispute if you believe the above statement to be true? Am I missing the obvious?

Am I wrong in assuming that they are simply trying to twist arms rather than rely on democracy to get their way?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Every club delegate/officer and member of committee in Cork must be daft to let Frank Murphy away with all those things. What were they again? Would someone post a wee list to remind me? Ta.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on January 30, 2009, 12:06:35 AM
Every club delegate/officer and member of committee in Cork must be daft to let Frank Murphy away with all those things. What were they again? Would someone post a wee list to remind me? Ta.

He is immune. He is the only one who says when he leaves. He cannot be voted out and he cannot be fired, He could sit there being the most hated man in the room, where everyone votes against him and he is so twisted with biterness and hate he'd still probably stay there and what's worse, he has the power to. He is the most powerful man in Cork GAA.
Has he helped the players get away with things in the past, ya, but I question the legalitly of it, favours here and there.

Now until I make this understood just how powerless everyone in Cork GAA is until that man is somehow removed then ye will never understand the players and their actions.

dowling

But apart from last year's hurling panel list a few areas of all the wrong he has committed.

theskull1

So tell us.........How will the players get their way?  
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on January 30, 2009, 12:16:13 AM
But apart from last year's hurling panel list a few areas of all the wrong he has committed.

This is what infuriates me, you want me to go over every detail since he came to power, what, some 30 years ago. I don't have the time or the brain.
Sure even Gerald had a bust up with him. With all due respect, go look it up yourself. 3 decades of it.
Justin McCarthy will also give you a few points.
Donal O Grady,
John Allen,
Every selector and every backroom team under a manager that has ever worked while he was in power.
How he got away with, the way the players were treated pre 2002 strike..etc.
He is a piece of work.
And I don't have the time, patience or memory to go over every wrong that he has committed.

He is the rot in Cork GAA, he is sufficating Cork and we wont breath again till he leaves go of his vce grip, but he's so drunk on power that he doesn't care.

But with all of that in mind, the players are the only ones who have had the balls to stand up to him. To stand up to the bully, to tell him he can't get his way when he's doing something so blatantly wrong.
And if the players loose this fight and disband, who'll stand up to them then, the puppets on a string in the clubs or the 2009 baby panel? FM will have complete control with NO ONE left to question him.

No one who has worked with or near him has ever has a good word to say about him and I can't believe Gerald McCarthy is that naive that he can't see he is being used as a blatant pawn, I honestly thought he'd more common sense then that.

I have all the respect in the world for Gerald. Despite my stance in this argument. He was one of the best hurlers Cork have ever seen and I wish I got to see him play. A good man at heart, he's not a good manager, he's out of his depth. A good man at heart though who is blinded and driven by wounded ego and I honestly believe that, he has gotten caught up and has been bitching and flip flopping and making things 100 times worse because he is a very proud man and his ego was wounded, and  I cannot believe that he has stayed. I honestly can't, it annoys me he stayed because I thought he was better then that, part of what upsets me so much is that I thought he was better then that, above that.

Realrebel will probably come on here and say I'm being dramatic but everyone who knows anything in Cork GAA knows just exacltly what FM is all about.

But the fact that the man did what he did here should tell you a lot. The players went, right Frank, the one man in the entire county that we don't want as manager is Gerald, we've had him for two years it's not working (no shame in that at all, sometimes it just doesn't work, wrong manager, wrong time.) so FM went right so lads..and just reappointed him. Just like that, not a bother or excuse in the world.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 30, 2009, 12:16:29 AM
Some how the Cork public put enough pressure on the CB.
The Cloyne motion is redone and somehow everyone backs it.
And honestly..Cork get destroyed by Dublin and murdered in an empty stadium against Tipp in the League (I'm not for a minute saying the players want this, no doubt in about 20 seconds someone will come in and say, oh now they want the 09 team to loose is it, such a piece of work, those bastards, they're only kids.)
But it's the only way I can see FM beggining to blink.

dowling

Appreciate that reillers but people clash all the time or don't even get on at all. A bit more detail, finer detail, on the Frank boy would help throw some light on all this.

Reillers

dowling

Maybe tomorrow then. Good we can all still have a bit of humour.

Reillers

Humour lol.
Just to show that even pre Murphy things were pathetic within in the board..and I think it's absolutely brilliant and haven't brought it up before..

Even the greatest of them all had a withering view of Rebel administrators. Val Dorgan's biography of Christy Ring includes the story of the maestro being stopped by a jobsworth on the turnstiles in Pairc Uí Chaoimh.

"Leave that man in," said a county board official who happened upon the scene, "That's Christy Ring, he won eight All-Irelands with Cork."

Ring's riposte was immortal: "And if I wasn't carrying fellas like you I'd have won another eight."
[/b]

....Sometimes you just stop and think and wonder what could have been if our lads weren't carrying fellas like FM.

cicfada

Quote from: Reillers on January 30, 2009, 12:30:05 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on January 30, 2009, 12:16:29 AM
Some how the Cork public put enough pressure on the CB.
The Cloyne motion is redone and somehow everyone backs it.
And honestly..Cork get destroyed by Dublin and murdered in an empty stadium against Tipp in the League (I'm not for a minute saying the players want this, no doubt in about 20 seconds someone will come in and say, oh now they want the 09 team to loose is it, such a piece of work, those b**tards, they're only kids.)
But it's the only way I can see FM beggining to blink.

I think you'll find that it'llbe far from an empty stadium in Thurles  that night and the hurlers will get a huge welcome from the Tipp public if those boys from Premeirview are anything to go by anyway! I do agree however that the young lads will get  a trimming. It's the Dublin game that is critical, being beaten by the Dubs would be seen as a humiliation even though Cork scraped by them last year!!

Bud Wiser

reillers, back on page 160 I deleted a post I made based on newspaper reports that I had read.  Can you please delete yoiur reply.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"