McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

QuoteOn the night no player was absent and in an orchestrated show of strength the players entered the press conference in single file, wearing their Cork tracksuits. A poignant reminder of the many times they have paraded in single file on to green fields around the island for their county.

it would nearly bring a tear to your eye.

They did not parade too poignantly in single file on to a field a few years ago against Clare in Thurles when they were pucking the heads off each other. Thankfully Frank Murphy was able to clean up their shite once again as he has always done over the years for the Cork footballers and hurlers.  Who will look after them when uncle Frank finally goes out to grass.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

theskull1

I think "The GAA" should change his username to "The GAA?"
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on January 29, 2009, 05:54:50 PM
this was taken off the rebelgaa site today
as i was saying all along about the players putting pressure on the younger fellas
they stood up there and lied to the public again

a player from our club played at the colemans game but he had to pull out of the limerick challenge game because he received phone calls every day for that week telling him not to play
the phone calls were from 3 differnt 2008 panel members. hes a young man and was geniunely upset by the whole thing
he eventually decieded not to play and once this was achieved he was asked if he would allow his name read out at the press conference on mon night.
he refused this

Lied, you have f**k all proof, and you could well be lying through your teeth to us, but I've no proof of that so I'm not going to accuse you of that. You've no proof and your hate for the players who've served this county for a long long time means feck all because one man couldn't except that he wasn't good enough for the job, LIED to the players, saying that he'd leave if they didn't want him to come back but he did and here we are.
In your case so, Gerald has lied through his teeth several times to the media and has shown his true colors.

If this is true then it's a pity and out of order.

But imo, I'm sorry but that is otter crap, and makes no sense.
I know 3 lads who blankly refused not to play (for different reasons not just because of McCarthy)
I know 2 young lads very well who are on the 08 panel (who have recieved phone calls from the other side).
And I was talking to one of the 09 lads who's injured at the minute.

None of these have been put under any pressure what so ever and I'd almost give you numbers to contact them if this wasn't so public.
The 09 players have not been contacted at all. Ever.
The younger lads needed no help at all coming out against McCarthy.
And the only time the players who refused to play were contacted was from the players seeing if they weren't playing could they say their name in the list they wanted to name out.

But oh no, this is good enough.
Sure I'm lying,
The players are lying,
Everyone involved with the players who have said good things about them are lying.
Everyone is lying when it's convenient.

But Gerald, no, he's a saint. Not lying at all.

If it's true, which I doubt it very much, then it was out of line.
But I love, I just love the way everything the players do is questioned and questioned by so called unbiased people on here, but when it comes to McCarthy it's script, it's taken at face value.

The GAA

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 29, 2009, 06:53:32 PM
as i was saying all along about the players putting pressure on the younger fellas

a player from our club played at the colemans game but he had to pull out of the limerick challenge game because he received phone calls every day for that week telling him not to play
the phone calls were from 3 differnt 2008 panel members. hes a young man and was geniunely upset by the whole thing
he eventually decieded not to play and once this was achieved he was asked if he would allow his name read out at the press conference on mon night.
he refused this
b**tards if that's true. They really think their agenda is all that matters in Cork GAA. Get off the stage Donal Óg and co., nobody cares about you any more.

Its not true.
why do you take the word of anonymous keyboard spoofers against the reputations of the cork hurlers?

Reillers

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 29, 2009, 06:53:32 PM

he refused this
b**tards if that's true. They really think their agenda is all that matters in Cork GAA. Get off the stage Donal Óg and co., nobody cares about you any more.

Its not true.
why do you take the word of anonymous keyboard spoofers against the reputations of the cork hurlers?
What do ya expect.
They all hate (though they'll deny it) the players.
Most on here don't give them the time of day.  No matter what the players have said in the conference, the articles about them that backed them, the people that backed them.
The players went in front of the media, of journalists, anyone who wanted to be there, and left themselves open to any questions that could have been posed. Has Gerald let anyone ask him questions, has the board..the board who don't even leave the press at any of their meetings. Not a chance, they were open and honest while Gerald and CB make points that are not rellevant..etc.They hide behind the excuses, either was a great player and no one dares question him for that or we did it "by the book, democractically".
According to most of the people on here, the players are basically self interested planks, liars, anyone backing them is biased, the players are bullies, only self interested, only taking these actions for earnings, nothing they have said is even considered as the truth, but everything McCarthy has said is taken at face value.
Not questioned, he's the poor old innocent lad. 
But the players, apparently with no backing or proof are only interested in themselves and the things that come along with playing for the county, they think that little of them, they've no respect for them at all.
They give out about the players getting what a bit here or there for representing the county despite it being the same everywhere else in the top counties.
Some on here no nothing about the situation in Cork GAA, talk through their arse 99% of the time, and then lecture me for not showing respect, not once on here has half of them shown the players an ounce of respect. Not one bit despite everything they have done.

INDIANA

Its called due process Reillers and they decided to go on strike again rather than even explore the option of going through the clubs. A strike should be a last resort, not a first one. No-one on this messageboard alienated the players from the public, they did that by themselves. Thats the bottom line.

Tatler Jack

QuoteThe players went in front of the media, of journalists, anyone who wanted to be there, and left themselves open to any questions that could have been posed.

As you are a great man for facts Reillers let us clarify that the press conference was only open to the media and not to anyone who wanted to be there.

theskull1

Everybody has respected what the striking players have done on the pitch and are well aware of the efforts they make to promote the game in the weaker areas. But it is quite simply impossible to respect them for the stance and demeanor they have taken regarding this dispute which is what thread is about. They have chosen to make this a war when they could have walked away silently and the fall out could be felt for many years to come. They really do want blood to flow before this is all said and done. So you'll forgive people for seeing them in a very poor light at the moment.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 29, 2009, 10:50:31 PM
Its called due process Reillers and they decided to go on strike again rather than even explore the option of going through the clubs. A strike should be a last resort, not a first one. No-one on this messageboard alienated the players from the public, they did that by themselves. Thats the bottom line.

No it's not. Cork isn't generally liked anyway. People have used this as an excuse for a bitching session. People come on here with NO info whatsoever. You've no idea how infurriating it is when people come on completley unaware of the backround to all of this and say shit like I haven't really been following it but the players are f**kers.
Or who's fault is it, McCarthy..oh the board, now your blaming the board, where does the board come into it, oh so they're lying now it's the boards fault..crap like that.
It's just a free bitching session for people who want to have a go on the players.

Each strike has been justitifed and wreeped results.
2002-all the years of success.
2007-Cork footballers now have an excellent manager, and have a very good chance this year and competed very well last season.
2008-This year, after failure, 2 years of failure and infurriation of watching themselves go backwards, after he was wrongly reappointed, despite saying he wouldn't put himself forward if the players didn't want him to.
After all of that crap putting up with it for two years and then to what happened with the reappointment to happen, they finally stood up and said we're going nowhere, nobody listened so here we are.

You think they didn't try other options, you think they wanted to go and do this again, it is so stressful for them, the pressure is insane and they knew they would get slaughtered in the press and the public eye. They did it anyway. And you think they didn't ask..what else can we do before we went on strike. You think this was what they wanted.

It was THE LAST resort. Deane said that scrolling down the screen with Donal Og the day they got the arbitration was more stressful then waiting for his test results.
They did not take this decision lightly and nor did they take it without thinking surely there is something else we can do.
There's nothing that would have an impact, that was it.
The one thing they want more then anything is to be playing right now and they are still holding out hope that they'll play again. Hurling is their air, it's their life. Not playing will kill them but they needed to take the stand, or we would have went backwards even more.
But this was not a rash deicison. This despite what you say was their only option.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 29, 2009, 11:00:52 PM
Everybody has respected what the striking players have done on the pitch and are well aware of the efforts they make to promote the game in the weaker areas. But it is quite simply impossible to respect them for the stance and demeanor they have taken regarding this dispute which is what thread is about. They have chosen to make this a war when they could have walked away silently and the fall out could be felt for many years to come. They really do want blood to flow before this is all said and done. So you'll forgive people for seeing them in a very poor light at the moment.

No ye haven't, not one bit, maybe a coment thrown in loosely by apparenton biased people about great servants..but..Everything the players has said has been questioned and not believed, every comment backing the players from the likes of O Grady and Allen has been made to seem irrelevant, there most be an excuse for it, no one on here, with maybe one or two exceptions has given the players the time of day, zero respect.
And ye go on and on, on yere morale high ground that poor old Gerald, he has disgraced himself in the media alot and none of ye have even seen it. Admitied it, he's blatantly lied, he leaked a document about the players that destroyed any trust left and (I have this on word of a few players, as fact) lost what was a few small doubts in some younger players mind. He lost them by doing that, but anything Gerald has done ye have managed to make something up, to find something and say the players have done worse.
The Cork public is swinging behind the players, despite what Realrebel might say, it is, people I know who were against the players are now backing them, showing sympathy.
If ye took the time of day to read the players statement without bias.
If ye took the time of day to look back at the strikes in detail from 2002 and 2007, ye'd realise that this was justified, but ye couldn't be bothered. It's been a war since 2002 and it's really about time ye saw that. Maybe in 5/10 years when ye do, it'll be too late. Give the players the time of day and you'd realise why the are getting more and more support from Cork fans now at the minute.

INDIANA

A Cork man whingeing about not being liked? Come to Dublin mate then you'll see contempt. Give me strength.
They could have gone to the clubs 4 months ago galvanised support and more importantly Reillers WON public opinion. Don't you see that? By going on strike they pissed off the general Cork Gaa public and the Gaa at large. If you win public opinion you win the battle. Frank would be f***** if he saw the people of Cork turn on him and demand change. They lost public opinion and lost the battle.

theskull1

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 29, 2009, 11:15:37 PM
A Cork man whingeing about not being liked? Come to Dublin mate then you'll see contempt. Give me strength.
They could have gone to the clubs 4 months ago galvanised support and more importantly Reillers WON public opinion. Don't you see that? By going on strike they pissed off the general Cork Gaa public and the Gaa at large. If you win public opinion you win the battle. Frank would be f***** if he saw the people of Cork turn on him and demand change. They lost public opinion and lost the battle.

Typical, all of that and you take that from it.
No they couldn't, they couldn't go to their clubs 4 months ago, it wouldn't have mattered, the same thing happens. 4 months ago Murphy still would have the power he has now.
It would have had no impact what so ever. If it was that easy it would have been done all ready, years ago.

INDIANA

Its never been tried reillers. If these players are such heroes, why did they lose the cork public's support so quickly? They should have left Mc Carthy to one side and gone after the root cause- Frank Murphy . Get the clubs on their side, then frank would have a job on his hands. this way they made it easy for him and allowed them to claim the moral high ground and win the PR battle.

theskull1

You have no clue if you organized properly and put forward your views in a diplomatic and respectful way that you could have swayed opinion in the right places. I know that because youse didn't try to. And if you didn't achieve what you wanted to then surely democracy will have spoken and youse still had a the option of saying "hey we tried to get through to them but they wouldn't listen......I'm not prepared personally to commit to the 2009 this year....I'll let everyone else make their own decision"

Secondly the actions the strikers have decided upon has guaranteed impact. But sadly their undemocratic chest beating has made sure that dirty looks will be cast across cork for many years to come as lines are drawn.

Common sense for anybody that wanted things to run smooth at the far side of this dispute.