McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbery

Cloyne club motion defeated
In what is likely to be seen as a blow to hurlers in the county, a motion put forward by the Cloyne club was heavily defeated at last night's meeting of the Cork County Board.
They had proposed that any vote on the current impasse involving last year's panel be deferred until club's had discussed the issue and mandated their delegates.
The motion was defeated 83 to 27.

RTE Sport

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 29, 2009, 09:49:13 AM
Reillers Nobody cares anymore. I won't be shouting for this Cork team at any stage in the future. The players should have submitted that motion 4 months ago rather than going for the traditional nuclear option and going on strike. it would have been re-submitted and passed at this stage. That would have given the real capacity for change. It would have done away with all the press conferences and tit for tat distasteful comments from both sides in the National Media.
In the last few days we've reached possibly the lowest moments of Irish Sport, its pathetic at this stage. There is a way to conduct oneself in these days. Soembody should lend that thought to Cork Gaa.

It doesn't matter one bit whether you care or not. People do care.
And those that don't that leave the board get away what they're getting away with are as much part of the probelm then anyone.

And as we speak people in clubs are withdrawing their subscriptions from from the draws and giving their money directly to their clubs. They aren't willing to go to any matches/functions where money goes to the CB unless it's matches of their own and people are refusing flat out to go the Cork intercounty matches, at the most there will be 1/2000 fans at Cork games this season.
And how it hasn't become clear to you yet that the only way that works is the nuclear option with this excuse for a board. The players made their opinions perfectly clear to the board and made what they would do if he was reappointed perfectly clear..what happened he was reappointed despite everything, everything that was said and done by the players and the general Cork public opinion that he cannot do his job, that he isn't a good manager and he was reappointed with not so much as an interview or questions why things had gone so wrong.

Tell me Indiana, what would have worked, what other options had the CB left the players besides the nuclear option?
And not even that has worked this time.

The motion has nothing to do with the players, Cloyne came up with the motion it was submitted and should have been passed, complete common sense, but no, Murphy found a loophole and deemed it to be out of order and of course what FM says, when he says jump well the rest say how high.
The motion was made by Cloyne and fair play to them, the only ones willing to stand up, and had absolutely nothing to do with the players what so ever.
They can't just make a motion.

The CCB are the biggest disgrace to GAA, to Irish sport that I have seen in a long time and FM is at the root of all of it.

the Deel Rover

just sick to the teeth of the whole saga at this stage . Just one question and maybe its posted on one of the other 160 odd pages but i can't be bothered looking through it , Who do the players want to manage them ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

imtommygunn

Reillers on my point about ego the players don't want McCarthy because they think they're better than him.

I'm not sure how McCarthy staying on implies he has a big ego - unless he's saying he's better than them which I haven't heard.

Anyway it's a load of crap the whole thing and it's a pity for hurling in general. It's gone on for too long and everyone is getting bored of it.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 29, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 29, 2009, 09:49:13 AM
Reillers Nobody cares anymore. I won't be shouting for this Cork team at any stage in the future. The players should have submitted that motion 4 months ago rather than going for the traditional nuclear option and going on strike. it would have been re-submitted and passed at this stage. That would have given the real capacity for change. It would have done away with all the press conferences and tit for tat distasteful comments from both sides in the National Media.
In the last few days we've reached possibly the lowest moments of Irish Sport, its pathetic at this stage. There is a way to conduct oneself in these days. Soembody should lend that thought to Cork Gaa.

Tell me Indiana, what would have worked, what other options had the CB left the players besides the nuclear option?

1. When it became apparent that McCarthy was going to be reappointed, the 2008 panel convene, decide they aren't happy with the process
2. They print off the Cork GAA contact list, break into 'cells' of 3 or 4 and break the GAA clubs into groups for each 'cell' to contact
3. They make contact with every GAA club in cork and request a meeting with the officers of each club before their next executive
4. They outline their concerns about the way Cork GAA is going and request that each club mandate their delegate to not ratify the re-appointment of McCarthy
5. They also prepare the 'Cloyne' motion in plenty of time for convention and have a capable administrator check it fully so as it cannot be deemed inadmissible.
6. They get a patsy of a club member from Cloyne or somewhere to propose a motion of no confidence in Frank Murphy - canvass members beforehand to ensure it's passed at the club agm. When the motion is brought to the Cork convention a few weeks later, the relevant club delegate holds up his hand and apologises to Frank before the meeting (off the record) and says what can he do, these young fellas are mad, don't realise the work you've done for Cork GAA for 35 years and sure don't we go way back.
7. The motion is either passed, at which point the position of Cork Secretary is advertised and a replacement/training process is put in place or the motion is defeated as too many delegates are afraid of being frozen out if the motion is defeated
8. The 'Cloyne' motion is brought and passed and no more strokes can be pulled by having important votes at short notice or it's defeated
9. If both are defeated, McCarthy is re-appointed and public support throug out Cork and the rest of the country is firmly behind McCarthy and the 2009 panel, then you walk away, give a press conference outlining your reasons for retirement, thank the supporters for the great memories and wish the younger members of the panel all the best, but given that they're working with two genuine GAA legends in the two McCarthy's they should be ok in the long run.
10. You give back your sponsored car and the sponsorship launches dry up, but you've had a good innings.
11. Democracy has worked.

stephenite

stephenite

Here's what gets me - the players have been highlighting their greivances with Frank Murphy since the first strike, how has it taken them this long to organise themselves and the clubs/members of Cork GAA to get rid of him? How is it taken them this long to decide they need to talk to need to talk to club chairmen to highlight their problems?

It's ridiculous for anyone to suggest the light bulb only went off last week

dowling

You see Reillers I could start directing insulting language towards you but I don't think it would achieve anything. We're all passionate in some way about the GAA, last years Cork hurling panel isn't unique. In fact I'd say this year's panel, if they marched into a press conference would say the same thing about themselves. I have certain opinions but I am posing questions which I haven't seen answered in all the pages of this debate. Some posters have been specific about rules and procedures for effecting change but it seems pro-player posters can only give generalisations, relate hearsay and refer to 'apparently'.
Last year began with the selectors issue, then Teddy Holland was an issue who became a victim, 'for the good of Cork'. This year Gerald McCarthy was the issue. Now Frank Murphy and the county board are issues.  What could it be next year? But are you saying to me that those who lead the players last year are not the same as those leading the players this year? I would find that difficult to believe. And I'm not implying 'earnings' or money is a factor in this, I'm asking the question what influence might the 'senior' players have used to get and keep others onside. Logically there had to be some convincing -and indeed the players allude to that in their statement - as surely thirty players couldn't all arrive at the same opinion of Gerald McCarthy at the same time could they? A response like 'you know nothing about Cork hurling' means nothing. The GAA is pretty much the same throughout the country at club and county level in relation to teams, players and committees. Even at national level individuals and committees can have their critics about the way they do things.  So we're all 'talking' from experience of some sort. I don't believe anyone wants to see what is going on in Cork nor takes pleasure from it. But when you read the players statement one piece which stands out for me is about the players being committed to Cork, each other and their cause. There seems to be two elements specific to the players and one to the county. Seems like a case of divided loyalties with loyalty to themselves dominating. So rather than just brushing remarks away give some logic as to why there would be no GPA influence here in spite of leading GPA members being involved. The players might be speaking with one voice now but  it's questionable if they are all of one mind.
What is hard to question though is that the path the players took last year and this mirrors threatened action of strikes and disruption of the GPA and the personalised attacks made on individuals who spoke out against that group.

The GAA

How many cork hurlers he sponsored cars indiana?

dowling - which of the players are being strongarmed by the GPA element?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on January 29, 2009, 10:32:23 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 29, 2009, 10:08:12 AM
Who do the players want to manage them ?

John Maughan :)

no the cork players stephenite  ;) At the end of the day thats what it boils down too they don't want Gerald Mc Carthy so who do they want. For e.g if Gerald Mc Carthy were to stepdown who would the players be happy with ? i can't imagine too many people putting their name forward after all of this ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

dowling

GAA I'm pointing out similarities between the players actions and behaviour with that of the GPA and asking how the GPA couldn't be involved in some way in the present dispute. So if you have answers then tell me.
Who was the first player to decide 'McCarthy's not for us boys'?
And did everyone else then together say 'that's what I was thinking'?
Or did some have to have it pointed out to them and be convinced?
Did everyone turn up together at the same place at the same time coincidentally and all say the same thing or did one or some of the players arrange a meeting and an agenda?
Did everyone decide at the same time 'let's stop playing' or did one or more players propose this course of action and convince others to go along with it?
Should we believe the players just act like a shoal of fish or are there one or two leaders among them?
And if there are leaders who are they?
Were they at the front of the press conference or on the edges or at the back?
If it was the latter two was that to give the impression there were no leaders, just a group?
And if there are leaders among the players would they also be leaders in the GPA?
And if that were to be so are we to believe then that there is no GPA influence in this dispute?
Are we even expected to believe there's been no comunication between the GPA and the 2008 panel?

The GAA

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 11:06:55 AM
dowling - which of the players are being strongarmed by the GPA element?

I thought it was a simple enough question?

dowling

passedit

Quote10. You give back your sponsored car and the sponsorship launches dry up, but you've had a good innings.

That says all I need to Know about you.

Of course if anyone implied financial motives for others in this dispute there'd be outrage.
Don't Panic

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on January 29, 2009, 11:43:12 AM
Of course it is. Why are you asking it?

Because you didn't answer it.

Which of the players are being strongarmed by the GPA element~?