McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

I hear the training is going well with Kerry's Aodan McGearailt, with the real Cork hurlers, those that are putting on the jersey and playing with pride for their county in 2009.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Tatler Jack

QuoteBut it's a poll of a public, even though it's not 100% reliable. Something tells me if it had been 90% in favour of McCarthy it'd be rock solid in your view.

No Reilers it would not. I have no time for phone in polls of any kind on any issue. And anything from the Neill Prenderville programme carries very little weight - he and his programme are typical of low standard broadcasting.

stephenite

I get more and more suspicious of the motivation for all the strikes down in Cork when the players say they'll decide to disband if they don't have the public's support.

It's like counting to infinity - there is no mechanism for quantifying how the publics support, how can they gauge this?

The GAA does it's business with structures that have been in place and served us well for eons - the moves by the Cork players to undermine these structures have massive ramifications for GAA members all over the country and are a danger to the association as a whole.

I am not on the ground so I have to accept what I hear from posters like Zulu who maintain that this a local issue relating to the County secretary and how much power he wields - I have my doubts that this is the sole reason and my gut tells me that outside forces are prompting behind the scenes, but I cannot prove otherwise.

The Cork County board cannot accept anything whereby the general public gets to have a say - if they want to herd GAA members into Pairc Ui Rinn and have a Cork referendum then fine - but f**king talk shows runnning polls can shag right off

Zulu

Seems the clubs didn't vote against the Cloyne motion at all, instead they voted it was out of order and it can therefore be resubmitted before next Decembers convention.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on January 28, 2009, 10:27:12 PM
Seems the clubs didn't vote against the Cloyne motion at all, instead they voted it was out of order and it can therefore be resubmitted before next Decembers convention.
[/quote

This will be too late for some.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

I would totally agree with you Stephenite. How can the public's view be quantified? I can't see any way.

For Reiller's to say that because they voted for the players on some talk show that this is obviously public perception is nonsense. Lie someone else said - other way round and it's nonsense.

How can there be any way of having an all encompassing and conclusive vote? I doubt there is a way.

There appears no way out now. It's a shame.

heffo

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 28, 2009, 10:12:06 PM
QuoteBut it's a poll of a public, even though it's not 100% reliable. Something tells me if it had been 90% in favour of McCarthy it'd be rock solid in your view.

anything from the Neill Prenderville programme carries very little weigh - he and his programme are typical of low standard broadcasting.

Say what you will about Ger Mc or the 2008 panel, but leave Neil Prenderville and his team out of this!

Reillers

I don't give too fucks about the Prenderville show, I don't think we should take anything from it, I was just using it as an example of people getting in behind the team. FFS. It means nothing solid, it was an example, that is all.

theskull1

You don't think we should take anything from the example you use to show that the public are getting behind the players. My head hurts trying to understand your logic here?

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 28, 2009, 11:33:54 PM
You don't think we should take anything from the example you use to show that the public are getting behind the players. My head hurts trying to understand your logic here?
I was making a point that people were getting behind them. But there's no way it should be taken as full solid cemented stuff.

....ya now I'm confusing myself. Lol.

theskull1

dowling

A question for the 'pro-players'' stance. Who would have been the first player to offer criticism of GMC? All this player unity seems strange to me. In all my time I have never known 100% solidarity among any team on an issue.  Surely the GPA mentality, at the very least, is in there. Now if I was a young hurler and an older one came to me and said, "if you support and stand firm on this issue you've great potential earnings", I would at least give great consideration to that.

But someone started it off and went to someone else to talk about it, who and who did they talk to? Did Cathal Naughton start it all?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on January 28, 2009, 11:57:11 PM
A question for the 'pro-players'' stance. Who would have been the first player to offer criticism of GMC? All this player unity seems strange to me. In all my time I have never known 100% solidarity among any team on an issue.  Surely the GPA mentality, at the very least, is in there. Now if I was a young hurler and an older one came to me and said, "if you support and stand firm on this issue you've great potential earnings", I would at least give great consideration to that.

But someone started it off and went to someone else to talk about it, who and who did they talk to? Did Cathal Naughton start it all?

Doubt their unity if you want, but you've never come across Cork..not only have they showed it in each strike and in the press conference and in everything they've said, and in even in Gach Uile Liathroid, and Blood Brothers unity is clear. A tremendous bond was formed with these players over the years, everything they've been through, every loss, every win, every fight with the board they've done so together and grew from it and their bond grew from it.
I don't know who the first player to criticize GMC, at the press conference or at the start. I've absolutely no idea where you got Naughton from.

And the bit about the young hurlers show you know nothing about these players and is deeply insulting. Potential earnings, you really think that little of them and don't give me that unbiased crap. Earnings..are you serious. You really think that little of them. Apparently Cork are so different to everyone else, that it's about earnings here but not anywhere else.
Cork love their hurling and it's not about earnings it's about standing up to the bullies, ridiculous bullies that are the Cb and GMC who is a product of that, a man who would have been sacked in any other county, never mind a top county, for loosing 5 games in two seasons and not one but two dressing rooms.

dowling

Now there's no need to start the 'crap' stuff. If we can't all express an opinion or ask questions sure this board may as well close down. I'm only asking who would have started the criticism. I doubt very much if Cathal did and I would guess one of three and you would probably guess likewise if you are to be honest, and I'm sure you are.. now the three I would guess at would be GPA men, well up there and all that. Would you guess differently?