McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 28, 2009, 12:22:00 AM
playing devils advoacte here is it not possible the players have alienated the clubs. the vote reflects the public opinion i've encountered in cork.
Then you haven't been far.
This preposal, this motion had nothing really to do with the players or McCarthy themselves. It made perfect common sense. Only for it to be thrown out unanimously despte the general opinion I've met have been outraged by this decision.

Reillers

Quote from: stephenite on January 28, 2009, 12:26:52 AM
Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:17:25 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 28, 2009, 12:05:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:00:33 AM
If it was said to be out of order because it wasn't sound then Cloyne will put it through again.

A quote from Rebel GAA.
QuoteEveryone who cares deeply about Cork should march on Pairc Ui Caoimh & demand their resignation,use every means possible to remove them,everything they stand for, boycott it,draws,games,fund raising,create a relentless barrage of embarassment for Christy Cooney,until finally Croke Park has no option but to get involved,their is no way back for this administration....the bottom line is a complete clearout,nothing less.

We can only pray this happens.

Sounds like a coup in the planning - can you not accept that the people who have the right to vote have decided against the wishes of the players, seriously, a vote was taken and the result was resounding. The desperation is beginning to look pathetic

You don't find it strange that these who are supposed to be representing us come up with a result that is against what the majority of Cork supporters views?

No - the supporters do not run the County Board, if the supporters are members of their clubs they have had the issue of Frank Murphy flagged since the first dispute and ample time to organise themselves and effect the change that many seem to crave at County Board level. I do not accept that supporters have the right to affect decisons within the GAA, it is the members of the clubs that have this right and sometimes there is a difference in that supporters are not members.
And where do you think the supporters come from, most are from clubs.

stephenite

Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:30:16 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 28, 2009, 12:26:52 AM
Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:17:25 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 28, 2009, 12:05:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:00:33 AM
If it was said to be out of order because it wasn't sound then Cloyne will put it through again.

A quote from Rebel GAA.
QuoteEveryone who cares deeply about Cork should march on Pairc Ui Caoimh & demand their resignation,use every means possible to remove them,everything they stand for, boycott it,draws,games,fund raising,create a relentless barrage of embarassment for Christy Cooney,until finally Croke Park has no option but to get involved,their is no way back for this administration....the bottom line is a complete clearout,nothing less.

We can only pray this happens.

Sounds like a coup in the planning - can you not accept that the people who have the right to vote have decided against the wishes of the players, seriously, a vote was taken and the result was resounding. The desperation is beginning to look pathetic

You don't find it strange that these who are supposed to be representing us come up with a result that is against what the majority of Cork supporters views?

No - the supporters do not run the County Board, if the supporters are members of their clubs they have had the issue of Frank Murphy flagged since the first dispute and ample time to organise themselves and effect the change that many seem to crave at County Board level. I do not accept that supporters have the right to affect decisons within the GAA, it is the members of the clubs that have this right and sometimes there is a difference in that supporters are not members.
And where do you think the supporters come from, most are from clubs.

But, are they members of clubs?

INDIANA

they aren't all members reillers i would say cork is very similar to dublin in that regard. That was viewed as a players motion tonight , rightly or wrongly. I just think at this stage the clubs feel disconnected from the players.

Reillers

People are now beggining to withdraw their subscriptions to the draw and lotto.
"Hitting the CB where it hurts."

The clubs have been disconnected from the players for a long time. Too much time spent arguing over ridiculous fixtures.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 10:22:57 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 27, 2009, 10:03:19 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 09:11:05 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 27, 2009, 08:40:41 PM
Who are the 'Cork hurling public'?

All of us in Cork, the real Cork fans.

I'm confused.

Do you mean the members of the GAA in Cork or 'fans' whatever thats supposed to mean..?
Whether people are part of a club or not is irrelevant. What I meant and grant it it came across wrong, I mean those who don't turn up to games except maybe the final or semi final but criticize the players, who say they want to play but can't. And criticise them on that. Every county has them, there aren't many here, not near as much as KK do, but they are there and annoying.

There was me thinking that the GAA was a membership based organisation, not the WWE - so how do you intend to gauge the support of the 'Cork hurling public'?

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 10:49:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 06:28:24 PM
Let me think, make a prediction, the CB will meet tonight, usual whitewash, technicalities, rule book says etc etc. Cloyne motion gets pushed to one side, more 92-6 votes of support for Gerald..you know the rest.
A statment will be made afterwards about the democratic way being followed..etc.voting this and voting that.
All the clubs chairmen will creep back into the woodwark, a handfull will meet with the players, (and maybe deny doing so later)
The fans will do their best, they'll make a point but the clubs will keep their heads down (any lower and through the ground) they'll say nothing just nod at what they are being spoon fed.

Players admit the game is up and about 20 or so retire. They leave with their heads held high, the other 10 or so (the kids mainly) change their mind and agree to play for Gerald but their hearts are a million miles away.
Cork are poor in the league, each match followed by a post match pep talk interview about positives and only learning the game..etc and then maybe scrape a lucky win giving Gerald encouragement to go on to the championship. Tipp in Thurles, no more than 4/5,000 Cork fans (and that's pushing it) most of which are family members, parents, friends and such of all the 09 squads.  Cork might win the first round of the qualifiers against, put up a good fight against a big name in the next round but go down by 10 or so points in the end.
A bad season, (awful in a lot of our views) but some "encouraging signs" for Gerald and he vows to see out his term till 2010.
Because now just showing up in a Cork jersey is enough and the Cork fans will sit and shake their heads wondering how the hell we got to this point.

Meanwhile Sean Og, the twins, Ga, Tom Kenny etc adorn the club hurling scene, playing their best hurling for years. But interest is low the hurling public have fallen out of love with the game, in the knowledge that Cork are a spent force for many years to come. Public debate is forgotten, all of this is forgotten and we'll all sigh about the good old days in the bars and pubs and the remaining fans will always ask the same question, how old is he now? Surely he's near retirement now.

But tonight, like I said, will be a typical "fair" meeting.

The press (surprise, surprise) are not allowed at tonights County Board Meeting, so much for being open and accountable.
There's nothing we can do about it, as per usual.

They say that they are doing things by the book, democracy at work and such etc. Like what the hell are the top table so afraid of, what are they trying to hide,its our organisation, it's our GAA, we demand and are entitled to know whats happening within the set up, again this justs highlights the cause of the players actions, I wonder how many of the delegates will have the balls to stand up tonight and question why the press have not been allowed to attend, and maybe question every other decision that has been made in this mess. .

Cloyne motion defeated 83 to 27.
Unbelievable. Any other county. And we wonder why no medias allowed, what's their excuse for it this time, only Frank Murphy should get a say.
They let themselves down tonight, they let us down tonight, they are a fuckin disgrace, Murphy is a disgrace and should be forced out and removed, how many skeletons did he threaten to bring out of the closet.
Cowards, nothing but cowards.
It was deemed "out of order"..don't make me laugh.
Out of order..OUT OF ORDER, there are a hell of a lot of things that are out of order about this Cb and the decisions they've made, that motion was not one of them.

Democracy at work again.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 27, 2009, 11:32:21 PM
IT would rather see the whole organisation come crashing down in Cork than give up his power.

It's time (and I didn't want to say this) but it's time, (presuming that they don't come on side of the players, which after that "decision" I very much doubt it) the footballers need to come in, this is bigger then the fear of not playing the League or loosing a manager.

Are the Hurlers officially on strike now or are you still claiming that they've 'walked away'..

orangeman

Does anyone have the exact wording of the motion last night ?

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 28, 2009, 12:35:21 AM
People are now beggining to withdraw their subscriptions to the draw and lotto.
"Hitting the CB where it hurts."

At 12.35am? Is this the same four people that you spoke to that told you their clubs were supporting the motion?

theskull1

I really have to laugh at the thought of Reillers saying that "supporters" opinions should be heard on this issue. These pitchfork brigades will come out of the woodwork every now and then to protest for radical change. But will they go to their clubs AGM and run for office? Will they become members of clubs and attend club meetings? Will they then attempt to influence the change they want to bring about from the inside using diplomatic efforts?

Will they fcuk. These fly by night types who enjoy watching the game do not have the same rights as those who run the GAA...simple as. They can have their opinion all they like but if asked to come in and do a better job themselves, they are not long scuttling away into the shadows of their living rooms to get the worth of their sky sports package.

The 2008 panel really are clutching at straws if they think that joe public is that motivated to bring about and be part of the change they are after. They are alienating so many volunteers around them who are on the ground doing the work. This vote has shown that.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cicfada

I would hope that the people withdrawing their money from the club draw are sending the  money to their  clubs!!!In these recessionary times ther draw makes a whole lot of sense as a vehicle  for clubs to raise money!

orangeman

In what is likely to be seen as a blow to hurlers in the county, a motion put forward by the Cloyne club was heavily defeated at last night's meeting of the Cork County Board.

They had proposed that any vote on the current impasse involving last year's panel be deferred until club's had discussed the issue and mandated their delegates.

The motion was defeated 83 to 27.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on January 28, 2009, 12:24:59 PM
In what is likely to be seen as a blow to hurlers in the county, a motion put forward by the Cloyne club was heavily defeated at last night's meeting of the Cork County Board.

They had proposed that any vote on the current impasse involving last year's panel be deferred until club's had discussed the issue and mandated their delegates.

The motion was defeated 83 to 27.

Be damned with the democratic wishes of the clubs - to blazes with them.

What about the 'Cork hurling public' - Sean Og, Donal Og & 'Ga' et al won't drop the placards until they have the support of the Cork hurling public.

Has anyone asked Tom 'Bomber' Roche what his feelings on the matter are? He's always seemed like a sensible, grounded sort of chap..

Reillers

The sensible good motion of Cloyne was apparently too open to interpretation. Cloyne also asked that the clubs be given more notice to discuss motions such as this.

And while that common sense motion was "shockingly" ouvoted in a lanslide victory for Murphy, th eridiculous sugestion that a mediator should be brought in was apparently passed (no doubt by a landslide vote.)
This all in favour raise your hand..everyone looks at Murphy..shit is pathetic. If secret ballot voting was put in place we'd have a different result.

Bringing in a mediator was tried all ready and didn't work. But the CB most be seen to be doing something so they come up with this useless suggestion.