McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on January 23, 2009, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2009, 04:06:24 PM
I've formed my opinion on the basis of the knowledge I have at my disposal Reillers. I've never put much stock in the nation's media, so I haven't got it from there. I don't have a reputation as a WUM either . I don't drink either so I didn't get it from the pub as I'm rarely in them. You're pro-player and you're entitled to your opinion. But thats all it is Reillers, an opinion same as the rest of us.
And as I said in my last post its some endigtment of Cork Gaa that the main protagonists won't even sit down. Yet we can get the Israelis and the Palestinians to sit down and talk. Its got to the stage wher most Gaa peole don't care anymore , there are bigger things in the world than the Gaa, a bit of perspective is needed ,something thats sadly missing on Leeside.

I'm just saying that it most be one hell of a source if O Grady and Allen's word means nothing.
Not much stock in the nations media, that's what most of your arguement, what you say, the wanting to interview managers and such, that's all from the media.
There's one thing having an opinion, but it's another to try and pass that opinion off as fact.
It's some detriment to Cork GAA that we are in this situation, a manager who can't do his job put back in place by the CB for one reason and one reason early and not only has that been achieved but the players also have very little support, it most be like Christmas and his birthday for Murphy all wrapped into one. He's got his ambition, the senior players who embarased him are no more and everyone is just too busy criticizing the players to look at the real problem..him.
There is problems, drastic problems all over the world, but the one in Cork is real, not near as important as some of the other things going on but it's still there, we shouldn't just ignore it because of other troubles across the water, it's a problem that hasn't been and can't be solved because of the selfish plank that dictates the GAA in Cork, is that near as important as what's going on across the world, no, does that mean we should just ignore it because it's complicated. No, a little bit of reality is needed here.

[/quote/]

Can only be solved by the clubs taking action. If the clubs exercised enough personal will and put enough pressure on O'Sullivan they could get rid of Frank.The system ain't perfect but its the best we have and it didn't come with an appendix for Cork Gaa. Do us all a favour Reillers and form your own association down there because the rest of us are sick to the back teeth of the whole lot of you. You'll solve nothing by not talking about it.

Reillers

And you still haven't answered my question, which leads me to think that you don't have the answers.

INDIANA

Zulu

Taken from todays Eveningecho.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

ALL THE clubs in Cork have been written to by Cloyne GAA club and urged to discuss a motion to change voting procedures on important GAA matters, ahead of next Tuesday's first county board meeting of the year. The Cloyne GAA club has issued a circular to all clubs throughout the county looking for their support on an amendment of the rules in Cork, which would prevent any vote
of significance being taken on the night of a board meeting. There has been criticism of the Cork County Board's voting system in recent years, and controversial votes to remove an inter-county manager's right to pick his own selectors back in 2007, and to
re-appoint Gerald McCarthy last October, were taken without club delegates being given a chance to speak to their own club officers. The East Cork club of hurlers Donal Óg Cusack, Diarmuid O'Sullivan and new chairman Jerry O'Sullivan want any important issues to be discussed by clubs around the county in depth before delegates cast their votes at the next meeting. There is a specific reference in Cloyne's motion to the current Cork hurling crisis, and they want to prevent any vote being taken on the dispute, without delegates seeking direction from their own club members. The letter from the Cloyne club has been signed by club
secretary Sean Motherway, and it states: "We would urge your club to discuss the motion and would ask you to support it either
through your division or delegate when voted upon. "We hope this will address a fundamental defect in the running of our organisation within Cork."
Responding to the latest development today, Cork County Board PRO Ger Lane told the Evening Echo that the matter will be discussed by the Board Executive prior to the next Tuesday's meeting.

INDIANA

Reillers

That is a positive step that should have been done a long time ago. And Indiana it's not a matter of the penny dropping, it's the matter of if anyone is willing to drop it.

But even then, it should also include that

But other things should be changed as well, like press should allowed attend, we've a right to know what's going on, even though we all know that it's not too the book.

Fair play to Cloyne though it's about time someone crawled out of the hole.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2009, 07:23:26 PM
What question o wise one?

You've come up with excuses for everyone who has backed the players.

You basically said the players had changed since O Grady.
The McCarthy was a meer selector and had no control of the team.
Ger Cunningham was bestest best buddies so he doesn't count.

But what about the trainers who've been with the players for a good while now in different circumstances, what about them, they are training them now. What's your excuse for them doing that, I've no doubt you have one..isn't it possible that the players aren't as awful like you try to make them out to be?

Or why you believe your source (which most be some hell of a source to trump Allen and O Grady and the trainers) is to believed over O Grady and Allen,
And why is it that everyone who has come out in support of the players are biased and friends with them or whatever but when the "all knowing" media comes out on side with McCarthy they're right and not biased.
The fact that there's always some excuse or reasoning when it comes to backing the players but it's fact and right backing McCarthy.

You say that an article written by one of the most respected men in hurling, never mind Cork, and from Allen as well, isn't enough..what is, for someone to agree with your sources stories.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on January 23, 2009, 09:00:33 PM
That is a positive step that should have been done a long time ago. And Indiana it's not a matter of the penny dropping, it's the matter of if anyone is willing to drop it.

But other things should be changed as well, like press should allowed attend, we've a right to know what's going on, even though we all know that it's not too the book.

You see Reillers, thats the way to do business. Its not a perfect system, but the above will achieve a lot more in the long run than 3 months striking. Which has been a fruitless exercise, even you can't deny that. Pity its taken then so long to figure it out.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 24, 2009, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 23, 2009, 09:00:33 PM

You see Reillers, thats the way to do business. Its not a perfect system, but the above will achieve a lot more in the long run than 3 months striking. Which has been a fruitless exercise, even you can't deny that. Pity its taken then so long to figure it out.
You talk like they're stupid down there. Everyone knew what had to be done, it was just a matter of who would do it.
It's a shite system, and maybe it's just a little too late as per usual. It'll help in the future if it's passed but it's not going to stop us from getting a hammering against Dublin and Tipp..etc.
Maybe if we were in Dublin things would have been changed a long time ago because of all the attention Dublin underservingly gets from the media, hell even the Late Late show GAA special all they could talk about was Dublin, Dublin, Dublin and rivalry with Kerry that's 30 years old.
Every year is going to be Dublin's year, if things that were happening in Cork happened in Dublin I doubt very much that the GAA would say deal with it yourselves. But yet again the GAA through their not so perfect system have left Cork hanging by themselves, because nobody gives to shits. They don't realise that Cork can't solve it's own problems, that it's being run by a dictator, and maybe in 10 years time they'll say to themselves maybe we should have intervened, maybe the players were right.
But that again, will be too little too late.

And I'd appreciate it if you'd reply properly to my post above.

orangeman

I've been following the posts and I'm delighted that Indiana / Heffo are as clueless as myself when it comes to Cork hurling and the strike. They really haven't a clue and talk some bull.

I'm even more delighted that the strikers have finally been able to get their family and work commitments sorted out in order to attend a press conference. Fair dues to them.

INDIANA

Reply to another rambling? Read back through the thread I've answered all of that in the last 2 days.  Just read the letters to the  Sports editor section of the Examiner today and see where public opinion is on the subject.

At the risk of repeating myself (maybe I should get a parrot) I don't put a lot of stock in what the nation's media have to say and I don't care what previous managers have to say. The Cork players want to directly intervene in the internal workings of a county board and pick a manager. Thats a no-no for me and I've been consistent on that.

There is a way to move obstructing members of a county board regardless of whether it is their full time job or not. it serves every other county, except Cork it seems. They are the ones charged with selecting a manager, if you don't like that, then there are channels to rectify that. The name of the game is now that players will go on strike if their personal masseuse hasn't clipped their toenails in the correct fashion.
As I said before the acid test would be for an independent outside manager to take charge and then we'll see. Ger Cunningham is too close to some fo those players and you have to travel too far in Cork for people to tell you that.  This is an amateur sport and people do not automatically select themselves for panels. You make yourself available or you don't. If you don't you get on with your life. Thats what county players have been doing for generations(except in Cork obviously).

realrebel

reillers
what do you make of ger fitzs statement today
i suppose he is lying too and making it all up, about 4/5 players making it very difficult from the start
and them waiting a hour to meet the players and they never turn up
no wonder they didnt reply to the statements in the last few days
they are now probably thinking up  excuses for the meeting on monday

Reillers

FitzGerald McCarthy's right hand man, sure he's far too close to McCarthy to have an opinion right? That's what ye all say about the players and Cunnigham, O Grady, Allen, that applys here as well right?

What's been said by him that hasn't been said by Gerald all ready, it's bad enough that Gerald is saying what the CB are telling him to say, but now he's got him team parroting him.

Do I think he's lying, lyings a harsh word, but even McCarthy's own supporters in this know that he's a bad manager. Sure any one who backs McCarthy are too close to him or haven't worked with him in a long time and he's changed or in this case he wouldn't really know because he's only a selector. Right?

The players said they wouldn't meet with Gerald and his backroom team, what do they expect when they don't show up.

This bullshit rumour that Gerald himself has started and try to feed top the public has been denied by a lot of people, try to get the public on side, trying to get the old sympathy vote, Geralds head will be called for after about 2 games if we get trashed and you know, I know it. In Cork we can barely stand being called second best, know one, despite what they say now, will be able to sit there this season and except the losses. You know it and I know it.

"Gerald was working in a situation where three of four players were making things difficult. Some of them were being awkward, hard to handle. They were trying to undermine him over the past two years."

It's lines like that that stop players from coming back.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features..what about what is said here after Gerald talks.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 24, 2009, 12:49:48 PM
Reply to another rambling? Read back through the thread I've answered all of that in the last 2 days.  Just read the letters to the  Sports editor section of the Examiner today and see where public opinion is on the subject.

At the risk of repeating myself (maybe I should get a parrot) I don't put a lot of stock in what the nation's media have to say and I don't care what previous managers have to say. The Cork players want to directly intervene in the internal workings of a county board and pick a manager. Thats a no-no for me and I've been consistent on that.

There is a way to move obstructing members of a county board regardless of whether it is their full time job or not. it serves every other county, except Cork it seems. They are the ones charged with selecting a manager, if you don't like that, then there are channels to rectify that. The name of the game is now that players will go on strike if their personal masseuse hasn't clipped their toenails in the correct fashion.
As I said before the acid test would be for an independent outside manager to take charge and then we'll see. Ger Cunningham is too close to some fo those players and you have to travel too far in Cork for people to tell you that.  This is an amateur sport and people do not automatically select themselves for panels. You make yourself available or you don't. If you don't you get on with your life. Thats what county players have been doing for generations(except in Cork obviously).

That's the thing Indiana you haven't answered those questions that I put to you, that's why I've asked you to answer them and that's why I put them seperatley on their own. So will you answer them please.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 24, 2009, 01:32:12 PM
FitzGerald McCarthy's right hand man, sure he's far too close to McCarthy to have an opinion right? That's what ye all say about the players and Cunnigham, O Grady, Allen, that applys here as well right?

Do I think he's lying, lyings a harsh word, but even McCarthy's own supporters in this know that he's a bad manager. Sure any one who backs McCarthy are too close to him or haven't worked with him in a long time and he's changed or in this case he wouldn't really know because he's only a selector. Right?

The players said they wouldn't meet with Gerald and his backroom team, what do they expect when they don't show up.

This bullshit rumour that Gerald himself has started and try to feed top the public has been denied by a lot of people, try to get the public on side, trying to get the old sympathy vote, Geralds head will be called for after about 2 games if we get trashed and you know, I know it. In Cork we can barely stand being called second best, know one, despite what they say now, will be able to sit there this season and except the losses. You know it and I know it.

"Gerald was working in a situation where three of four players were making things difficult. Some of them were being awkward, hard to handle. They were trying to undermine him over the past two years."

It's lines like that that stop players from coming back.

Really ?  ;D Nothing to do with themselves at all ? Nothing to do with downing tools again ?

I know we're all stupid and haven't a clue.