McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There's nowt they can do now surely.

I wonder will they wish McCarthy all the best...

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on January 21, 2009, 06:29:06 PM
reillers i heard today diarmuid o flynn was sacked from the examiner today
did u hear that at all?

I heard that as well, but I also heard that it wasn't true so I don't know. Not much help there. Lol!!

Reillers

Quote from: NAG on January 22, 2009, 12:00:38 PM
That shoud be good value, but I would say that with their friends in the media the players will box pretty clever on this one and have a well prepared statement.

Although with the other statements this week I dont see the point in them doing anything other than going back to their clubs and get on with life without hurling county hurling.

Well the CB (except Murphy of course who has stayed silent) and McCarthy and the media have had their fair share of time slatting the players they should have their say. 

RedandGreenSniper

From independent.ie  some very good pointers from Colm Keys

10 questions for cork hurlers to answer

These are the questions the Cork 2008 hurling squad should address now in the wake of Gerald McCarthy's latest statement.

1. Gerald McCarthy claims the players were never serious about entering dialogue to bring resolution to this ongoing dispute. Was that the case?

2. Did player representatives refuse to allow Kieran Mulvey, the original independent arbitrator, and newly elected GAA director general Paraic Duffy to address the entire squad last February in the midst of the last strike after they had requested to do so, as Gerald McCarthy suggested on Tuesday night? If so, why?

3. Did they refuse McCarthy the same request last November?

4. Did they then agree to meet with McCarthy last week but renege on that because they didn't want to meet with newly appointed selectors Teddy McCarthy and John Keane, another revelation made by the manager?

5. Did they change their minds on that (meeting the two new selectors) and then refuse to meet Olann Kelleher, the independent chairman proposed by Cork County Board, who has not stepped down? Were they as "offhand and obstructive" towards him as McCarthy suggests?

6. Did they wish to interview managerial candidates, as McCarthy states?

7. Do they, as he says, want the right to veto the appointment of the county manager and effectively appoint their own manager?

8. Are current squad members being "pressurised" by senior players not to turn out for Cork, one of McCarthy's main charges?

9. Was the 2008 squad still willing to enter dialogue before McCarthy pulled the plug on Tuesday night or had the team management and the board exhausted every possible avenue?

10. Has this situation now passed the point of no return for all sides?

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

NAG

Reillers

Without going over old ground here but there is a way to things and a way not to do things and the players chose the wrong one. They mis interpretted their position/ standing with the GAA public. The GAA public had no stomach for another strike no matter the rights and the wrongs of it and no matter who is to blame or not to blame the players msjudged the mood when the went for an all out strike.

That is not a statment in support of CCB or Murphy it is just fact.

cornafean

Quote from: Reillers on January 22, 2009, 04:19:08 PM
Quote from: realrebel on January 21, 2009, 06:29:06 PM
reillers i heard today diarmuid o flynn was sacked from the examiner today
did u hear that at all?

I heard that as well, but I also heard that it wasn't true so I don't know. Not much help there. Lol!!

I suppose we can safely assume so that it isn't true :)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 22, 2009, 04:23:48 PM
Quote from: NAG on January 22, 2009, 12:00:38 PM
That shoud be good value, but I would say that with their friends in the media the players will box pretty clever on this one and have a well prepared statement.

Although with the other statements this week I dont see the point in them doing anything other than going back to their clubs and get on with life without hurling county hurling.

Well the CB (except Murphy of course who has stayed silent) and McCarthy and the media have had their fair share of time slatting the players they should have their say. 

Will the players be able to kill two birds with the one stone and possibly tie in this press conference with some form of sponsorship launch or supermarket opening?

Zulu

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 22, 2009, 10:03:37 AM
Its a totally biased viewpoint towards the players Zulu, which he's perfectly entitled to of course. Donal knows full well that even if Mc Carthy was gone it wouldn't solve the problem which he does alude to in the article. You can't have players intefereing with the running of the county board because soon everyone will be at it. The Gaa isn't a perfect organisation as Tatler said many posts ago, you can either attempt to change things through the proper channels or walk away from it. I absolutely draw the line at players wanting to interfere with county boards.

Is it or is does it shade some light on the truth. But first, any time someone from Cork comes out with something like O Grady did they're biased but anytime someone comes out against the players they're not biased, like the questions posed above.

People, you, said that you think they are a horrible bunch, or words to similar meaning anyway, but O Grady (and Allen and everyone else except McCarthy) has enjoyed working with these players immensley. There are even past trainers training them now.
O Grady had and clearly still has a lot of time for these players and I take his judgement of anyone or anything at face value.
He's also experienced the CB and came just short of what I really wanted him to say but he'd never say it, no one would, no one will..except maybe the players. If the players, some of the ones who will never in their minds play for Cork again, I'd love (even though it'd make them look petty) if they just ripped into the CB especially Murphy and said what everyone stops short of saying, because it needs to be said.
O Grady a legend of a man, a pure genious who's judge of character I'd take at face value like I said, if I were ye, loved working with these lads, and that was for a reason. Allen loved working with them, as did all the backroom staff..something they wouldn't have enjoyed if the players are what half of ye are saying they are on here.
O Grady also worked with the CB and if it wasn't as bad as we say it is, like ye say, similar to a lot of things, then he wouldn't have said what he said.
No manager, except yes man Gerald, who was put in place to be just that, has enjoyed one minute of working with the CB and developed a great bond with these lads and togther they managed to shut the CB out as much as possible, and without them we won countless AIs and Munsters. Only when the CB fought back did we really begin to suffer. Cork hurling goes no where when the CB is involved. It's been proven by the pre McCarthy era and now.

Every single person, except Gerald, who has worked with these players has come out in support of them, no one (to my knowledge) has said they are well we ye've called them, selfish, driven only by their image..etc.
Every single person be it management or players who have worked with these players has supported them, do ye ever think why that is?
And everytime someone has come out in favour of the players, they've been called biased..take it mind that they've all experienced the board and have dealed with these players.
The media can bitch and whine all they like but most of them haven't a clue what's going on in the inside. At the end of the day, very little of them know anything rock solid..I can't think of a person besides McCarthy and co who have come out against the players.

In Corcoran's book, he says that looking back on the 06 loss he said he doesn't know if he would have played that year if he knew they'd loose the final, but Donal Og would because playing the game and playing for Cork is what he loves the most.

And one of the last things he says in his biography, he say this coming, he said, "the strike may be over but the strugle continues."

And it has.

realrebel

reilers
are my missing something when jim JBM say he supported the players
come on now reillers get off your high horse he supports ger mac not the players

Reillers

realrebel

you said everyone who worked with the players have come out in support of the players
show me where jimmy said anything in support of the players
i know jimmy a awful long time and i know that he is 100% behind gerald on this
do you JBM reillers personally

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on January 22, 2009, 06:55:18 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 22, 2009, 10:03:37 AM
Its a totally biased viewpoint towards the players Zulu, which he's perfectly entitled to of course. Donal knows full well that even if Mc Carthy was gone it wouldn't solve the problem which he does alude to in the article. You can't have players intefereing with the running of the county board because soon everyone will be at it. The Gaa isn't a perfect organisation as Tatler said many posts ago, you can either attempt to change things through the proper channels or walk away from it. I absolutely draw the line at players wanting to interfere with county boards.

Is it or is does it shade some light on the truth. But first, any time someone from Cork comes out with something like O Grady did they're biased but anytime someone comes out against the players they're not biased, like the questions posed above.

People, you, said that you think they are a horrible bunch, or words to similar meaning anyway, but O Grady (and Allen and everyone else except McCarthy) has enjoyed working with these players immensley. There are even past trainers training them now.
O Grady had and clearly still has a lot of time for these players and I take his judgement of anyone or anything at face value.
He's also experienced the CB and came just short of what I really wanted him to say but he'd never say it, no one would, no one will..except maybe the players. If the players, some of the ones who will never in their minds play for Cork again, I'd love (even though it'd make them look petty) if they just ripped into the CB especially Murphy and said what everyone stops short of saying, because it needs to be said.
O Grady a legend of a man, a pure genious who's judge of character I'd take at face value like I said, if I were ye, loved working with these lads, and that was for a reason. Allen loved working with them, as did all the backroom staff..something they wouldn't have enjoyed if the players are what half of ye are saying they are on here.
O Grady also worked with the CB and if it wasn't as bad as we say it is, like ye say, similar to a lot of things, then he wouldn't have said what he said.
No manager, except yes man Gerald, who was put in place to be just that, has enjoyed one minute of working with the CB and developed a great bond with these lads and togther they managed to shut the CB out as much as possible, and without them we won countless AIs and Munsters. Only when the CB fought back did we really begin to suffer. Cork hurling goes no where when the CB is involved. It's been proven by the pre McCarthy era and now.

Every single person, except Gerald, who has worked with these players has come out in support of them, no one (to my knowledge) has said they are well we ye've called them, selfish, driven only by their image..etc.
Every single person be it management or players who have worked with these players has supported them, do ye ever think why that is?
And everytime someone has come out in favour of the players, they've been called biased..take it mind that they've all experienced the board and have dealed with these players.
The media can bitch and whine all they like but most of them haven't a clue what's going on in the inside. At the end of the day, very little of them know anything rock solid..I can't think of a person besides McCarthy and co who have come out against the players.

In Corcoran's book, he says that looking back on the 06 loss he said he doesn't know if he would have played that year if he knew they'd loose the final, but Donal Og would because playing the game and playing for Cork is what he loves the most.

And one of the last things he says in his biography, he say this coming, he said, "the strike may be over but the strugle continues."

And it has.

Simply because they have changed dramatically in that period especially under Allen. Since you know so much about the scene, you'll also know O Grady ruled with an iron fist. Initially the players objected so some of the drills as they claimed they were "boring". O Grady told them, they could do the drills or go home. O Grady was a smart guy and he was in charge, no-one ever questioned his authority.
Under Allen who is a good guy in his own way, they effectively ran the team in the manner they wanted. Mc Carthy wanted to do things differently, they didn't and that was the start of it. You also have the Frank element.
You know Reillers, 2 World Wars have been solved, the Israelis even signed a truce with Hamas. Its an awful sad state of affairs that a game takes precedent over real matters of life and death. When you put it in that context, you realise how petty the whole thing is.
At this stage for the good of Cork hurling the senior members of SIPTU should encourage the younger guys to go back, and at least not deny them a year of their careers. When Mc Carthy goes at the end of the year, then a new man can decide whether he wants a quasi trade union on his panel.

Reillers

Sorry infiana but you don't know that now do you. Is that hard to except that maybe the players aren't the bad guys that you and others make them out to be, do ye always have to come up with excuses to try and prove otherwise.

They never had a problem with O Grady, they were lucky to get him and Allen he had a harder time then McCarthy when it came to what players were available. By the time McCarthy got there he had Naughton, O Neill, Horgan, Sully Og..etc. none of which Allen had and needed. McCarthy wanting to do things differently, no, just worse. Even most of the McCarthy supporters think that he's a bad manager. His attitude from the very start was questionable, in the interview he was given and such, the way he was dragged into taken it and the likes of Cunningham who should have gotten it, didn't even get the curtesy of an interview or even a thank you, what was happening was clear and it would ring alarm bells for the players. This was a move, a very specific move with one goal, to get the power back. He had the players defensive before he even arrived because of that. He was always seen as the CB's personal little message, but they worked and worked hard with him for the two years he was given.
Allen and O Grady never had any problems with these players, either did their backroom team, some of which who worked with McCarthy for the first year as well are now training the players, what does that tell you, they're doing that for a reason, another excuse perhaps? Those boys worked with the players and manager, they'd both sides down well in their heads. So what..did the players change in that time the trainers left? No more excuses maybe.

O Grady and Allen also had to deal with the Frank ellement but that team and the manager and backroom staff worked together, ignoring the board, they developed this massive bond that hasn't been broken, and Cork was very succesfull under those two managers and backroom team.

O Grady and Allen are excellent judges of character, and the team that worked with them, none of them as far as I know have had a bad word to say about them..could it be, is it possible at all that maybe just maybe the players aren't the bad guys you'd like them to be, like they are in the stories you were told.
Is that possible at all?

INDIANA

Cunningham is a close friend of some of the players Reilers, you know that as well as I do. On that basis he isn't a canditate until the senior players are gone.
They did have problems with O Grady early on, they found some of his drills boring , and it appeared in national newspapers. After the strike they didn't have the luxury of going on strike again, so they hadn't much choice had they with O Grady. Of course there were no issues with Allen, because he was a selector more than a manager. These players like to be in control thats the bottom line. They wanted Cunningham because they knew he would run things according to the way they wanted them , they got McCarthy , didn;t like him from the start and have now refused to play for him.
This crack of the players wanting to hold interviews is going too bloody far in my view.