McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

What are they supposed to do Reillers, they're an getting an opportunity to play for their county, the highest accolade flawed or otherwise. They don't need to be getting phonecalls from players telling them not to. This is the Gaa, not feckng SIPTU. Its a sport, not a trade union movement.

theskull1

Quote from: INDIANA on January 21, 2009, 04:51:45 PM
Thats the crux Reillers for me. Those guys you name will never be invited back under a new manager. Not a bloody hope, unless the manager is another patsy. No quality inter county proven manager will ever go in with those guys again. Some of those guys will never play for Cork again. Mightn't be a bad thing either. It needs a clean slate.
The other thing as well is I doubt Frank Murphy will back down on this. And as you and I both know fully well Reillers, thats the real issue. the Mc Carthy issue is besides the point and in a way is a smokescreen for the real issue , which is.
Frank v the players.

Yeah .....but Reillers tells us that they'll come back if Ger resigns/gets sacked. Then we're told that what they are doing is for the good of Cork hurling? Really? Surely Frank has to be on their "assasination" list as well or else their just trying to get a manager to suit them? End of. They are not striking for anything else. If Ger resigned they'd be back in the morning, so I don't see why Frank Murphy gets the abuse yet isn't on their list of demands. If he's that bad then surely he should be the main focus of their principled standoff.  :-\

So it's everybody, including the 2008 panel who lack the guts to stand up to FM  :-\ 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onlooker

Now if Cork are getting hammered by teams like Dublin and Tipp that they should beat easily, it'll be a hundred times worse.
You think that Cork fans, who can't stand being called second best will really except the hammering we'll get with these guys.

[/quote]Reillers, what makes you think that Cork should beat Tipp easily.  Tipp have won 25 All Irelands and Cork have never beaten them easily any more than Tipp have never beaten Cork easily.  You need to brush up on your knowledge of hurling.  The game did not start in 1999.  There were many great Cork and Tipperary teams before that date, who had nothing but the greatest of respect for each other.  i am afraid respect is something that the 2008 Cork team leaders know very little about.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 21, 2009, 05:20:33 PM
What are they supposed to do Reillers, they're an getting an opportunity to play for their county, the highest accolade flawed or otherwise. They don't need to be getting phonecalls from players telling them not to. This is the Gaa, not feckng SIPTU. Its a sport, not a trade union movement.

So you say, but the yonger players on the real team have been getting phone calls telling them they have to play or else..the same can be said for both sides.

True they'll play because they've been given the opportunity to do so but unfortunatley they are going to have a horrible humiliating summer and in a few years from now if they are still involved they'll be faced with the same problems..it's only a matter of if they'll have the balls to stand up the the CB.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: Onlooker on January 21, 2009, 05:47:33 PM

Now if Cork are getting hammered by teams like Dublin and Tipp that they should beat easily, it'll be a hundred times worse.
You think that Cork fans, who can't stand being called second best will really except the hammering we'll get with these guys.

Reillers, what makes you think that Cork should beat Tipp easily.  Tipp have won 25 All Irelands and Cork have never beaten them easily any more than Tipp have never beaten Cork easily.  You need to brush up on your knowledge of hurling.  The game did not start in 1999.  There were many great Cork and Tipperary teams before that date, who had nothing but the greatest of respect for each other.  i am afraid respect is something that the 2008 Cork team leaders know very little about.
[/quote]

I don't mean easily beat, I mean it shouldn't be a major problem, I meant easily beat Dublin and beat Tipp. We should have easily beat Tipp last season as well until McCarthy intervened, made subs and changed the game plan and this year. But no, we have never easily beat Tipp, but we should still beat them. We're better then them, or atleast we were..this year if the players were still around they'd be even stronger.
I meant no disrespect by that.
It doesn't really matter what happened in the past, there were many great Cork Tipp teams, two of the best teams and rivaliries of hurling.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 21, 2009, 05:57:11 PM
Or else what Reillers? You didn't say

Or else they'll NEVER play again with any code or manager basically.

realrebel

reillers i heard today diarmuid o flynn was sacked from the examiner today
did u hear that at all?

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on January 21, 2009, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on January 21, 2009, 05:47:33 PM

Reillers, what makes you think that Cork should beat Tipp easily.  Tipp have won 25 All Irelands and Cork have never beaten them easily any more than Tipp have never beaten Cork easily.  You need to brush up on your knowledge of hurling.  The game did not start in 1999.  There were many great Cork and Tipperary teams before that date, who had nothing but the greatest of respect for each other.  i am afraid respect is something that the 2008 Cork team leaders know very little about.

I don't mean easily beat, I mean it shouldn't be a major problem, I meant easily beat Dublin and beat Tipp. We should have easily beat Tipp last season as well until McCarthy intervened, made subs and changed the game plan and this year. But no, we have never easily beat Tipp, but we should still beat them. We're better then them, or atleast we were..this year if the players were still around they'd be even stronger.
I meant no disrespect by that.
It doesn't really matter what happened in the past, there were many great Cork Tipp teams, two of the best teams and rivaliries of hurling.

[/quote]

Like you easily beat dublin in the championship last year? Where do you guys get off with your level of arrogance. Not only do your players believe they are above GAA protocol in terms of selecting managers but they now want to select the county board which has been democratically elected by 200 clubs?
Your opinion is the fall from grace from this team is solely down to Mc Carthy. the reality is this team has been decline since 2005 and has been denial ever since. The assumption is that they simply walk back onto the panel is a flawed one and one they realise in 12 months time , when a new manager invites the younger players back and tells the senior players to f*** off. This is all Donal Og and Sean Og and Co will ever be remembered for. A sad, sad, sad legacy to leave.
A thoroughly unlikeable bunch that no-one in their right mind would want to train.

Reillers

We should have easily beaten Dublin, the team was flat and unfit, Dublin are a poor side trying to build, under their manager they might, but Dublin are no threat to any of the big teams who we should easily dispose of.
Now we are no arrogant then KK or Waterford or Tipp. Saying we should trash Dublin isn't arrogance, pretty much every top team can say it.

Ya, till 06 (unbeaten all of that year except the final) the team was at their peak, but if McCarthy did his job a lot of players should have been brought in, and we should have moved on with them an tactics.
And it would help if the manager could do his job, not just on the training pitch but on the field. His tactical decisions and stlye of play and subs he's made cost us deeply. True the team isn't on the peak that it was but I refuse to believe that a team can go that backwards in a few months, McCarthy has dragged the team backwards.
Whatever "honest to God true stories" you've heard have obviously left a bee in your bonet, you say you're a players man but the minute I say that Dublin aren't a good team it's hell bent furry.

You know nothing about these players, you don't know what they are like, an unlikeable bunch..you are a medias man for believing what they say. Everyone who has worked with these players think otherwise.

Not only will these players go back onto the squad it'll probably be the fans who pull them back.

INDIANA

1- You're entitled to your opinions on Dublin. I still think your a typical of most Cork people I've met , arrogant to the core.

2- You're living in fantasy if you ever think thei team will ever win an all-ireland again , whether it reconvenes in its entireity or not. All teams have their shelflife and they've had theirs. kilkenny produce hurlers for breakfast as you would expect from the primary hurling county in the country. cork don't, as a result the team was in decline anyway, unfortunately it doesn't have the replacements.

3- I know a lot more about the players than you realise. I lived down there for a perios of time and have numerous contacts. I know how far some of the Cork players will go to protect their "image " rights. I then compare this to other  top range inter county players. And I decide for myself who are true GAA men and who isn't. And guess what conclusion I've come to? Thats right you've guessed it.

4- Some of the senior players will never wear the Cork jersey again. Good riddance in my view. The Gaa is a democracy, if you can't work within that framework then go play something else as some of them are already doing.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on January 21, 2009, 08:34:22 PM
1- You're entitled to your opinions on Dublin. I still think your a typical of most Cork people I've met , arrogant to the core.
True..it's what happens when you win..Not near as bad as Dublin, at least we've a reason to be.
2- You're living in fantasy if you ever think thei team will ever win an all-ireland again , whether it reconvenes in its entireity or not. All teams have their shelflife and they've had theirs. kilkenny produce hurlers for breakfast as you would expect from the primary hurling county in the country. cork don't, as a result the team was in decline anyway, unfortunately it doesn't have the replacements.
I don't, not until we get rid of some of the players on the senior team. White, Sully Og, Horgan, Shane O Neill, Naughton, Cronin..etc they are the future, them, alongside the likes of Ronan, Kenny, Murphy then we could have won an AI if they got this year if they managed to function, if you know as much about Cork hurling as you claim to, then you'd know this is true. And you'd also no that Cork should be at least favorites to win the U21 All Ireland final , kike they should have last season., Tremendous talent coming through, as is in the minors, who should have been in the final last season, and now hopefully more then ever we'll concentrate on them instead of the seniors who've no hope. The talent is there, the structures aren't. There is a hell lot of talent in Cork, and if you knew as much as you say you do, then you wouldn't be saying otherwise. KK's minor team is the worst I've seen in a long time, the senior players are going to go down hill, no question about that, every team does and their time is up. They don't have as much good talent as people think they are. Cork though, is a massive county with a hell lot of good players, the only thing holding Cork back is the set up, it's useless.
3- I know a lot more about the players than you realise. I lived down there for a perios of time and have numerous contacts. I know how far some of the Cork players will go to protect their "image " rights. I then compare this to other  top range inter county players. And I decide for myself who are true GAA men and who isn't. And guess what conclusion I've come to? Thats right you've guessed it.
As do I, a hell lot more then you had, and that's bullshit..when did you live in Cork, where?
4- Some of the senior players will never wear the Cork jersey again. Good riddance in my view. The Gaa is a democracy, if you can't work within that framework then go play something else as some of them are already doing.
Democracy, don't make me laugh. There isn't any such thing, not in the GAA.

"Democracy is what it says on the tin; GAA democracy is another thing altogether. The more politicised players become, the more they're likely to revolt against the gombeenism that still thrives within much local administration. There's bound to be a lot more trouble ahead."

imtommygunn

Reillers I think a lack of realism is a problem here and you've pretty much summed it up in points 1 and 2.

Cork have some very talented hurlers however you underestimate Kilkenny. Kilkenny are quite simply awesome. Cork, at full power, IMO would not get within ten points of them. KK's minor team is the worst you've seen in a long time? What - the worst to win the AI minor title? So because KK hadn't the best minor team ever to win the AI, yes win the AI!, they haven't as much to come through as we thought they had. There are subs on that KK team who would walk on the best Cork 15 with the best manager in the land. TJ Reid is better than any young player coming through from Cork and he can't get on the team!

You also exude arrogance with regard to Tipperary - who are no strangers to arrogance themselves. Cork should have beat Tipp this year however, with or without McCarthy, the dominant force in Munster of the next 5 - 10 years will be Tipp. The standard of their young players is also much superior to yours.

Sully og, Cronin and Horgan wouldn't get near a KK panel. O'Neill is decent and would but the rest wouldn't.

If the players share the same opinion as you it's little wonder they're in the pickle they're in. You have a superb half back line, good corner backs, a good midfield and one or two good forwards. Compare that to Kilkenny - they've about 8 good forwards, a superb midfield,, HB line, FB line.

You have dillusions of grandure and that post summed it up.

INDIANA

1- You won't be doing any winning for a while with or without those players. You'll get used to losing reillers, believe me we've had plenty of practice at it.the arrogance will wear off believe me. ;D ;D.

2- I know a lot about Cork hurling and I know those players wouldn't get on the kilkenny team. How many Cork players would Kilkenny want. Outside the O Connors and Kenny the rest wouldn't get a sniff. So in other words they aren't to win anything anytime soon. Oh sorry you might win the odd munster championship depending on Tipp but as for all-irelands, it'll be taking up permanent residence in the centre of Ireland

3- Your response speaks volumes. You know the score down there. Some guys are a little bit peeved they have to work a 9-5 like the general population. Despite all the perks its never enough for some of them. If they wanted to be professionals they should have played professional sport. They should take a look at some of the other top players from other counties and see how they conduct themselves.

4- Democracy is democracy reillers , michael collins should have thought you guys that. Democracy providers the rules which normal society operates and which assoications derive their rules from. if you don't like these rules , go elsewhere. The gaa has its rules which everyone signs up to.It doesn't have an appendix at the back specially designed for the Cork hurlers. If you don't like the rules go and play somewhere else.
Or better still get the striking hurlers to form their own competition which they can play in themselves. Then they 'll be forever ALL-Ireland champions. Well in their own world anyway.