McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Fair enough Zulu, but the Justin Mc Carthy incident was distasteful. Look all managers have their faults, I doubt anyone here had a perfect manager. I liked some mangers, other didn't, i hated some, others liked them. Its about finding a common ground somewhere. If I was Mc Carthy I'd step down, but I don't believe another manager will work with those players. The players are very delusional on that one. If I was taking that job, I'd get rid of all the main protagonists and use the remaining 20 lads and add to that.
Mc Carthy may be past it as a coach, but there is an element within that group of players that assumes they are indispensable. Their thinking is that Cork get hockeyed this year, which they will. A new manager , and the old the squad is reinstated. I think some of them are kidding themselves on that.

Zulu

I agree 100% Indiana but if you and a large number of other players didn't get on with with your coach but knew his term was up at the end of the year you'd play for him during the year (as did the Cork players) but if at the end of the year the chairman came up to you and said what did you think of the coach and you said he wasn't great and we (the players) had a poor relationship with him, you'd expect the club chairman to look elsewhere for next years manager, right? In any normal functioning county set up that is what would happen IMO but that isn't what happened here and that is why I'm supporting the players even though I agree they are not without blame and they do appear to be a fairly unlikeable bunch. I have said it already, i wouldn't touch them with a 12 foot barge poll but they deserve better than the way the CB have treated them as far as I'm concerned.

Uladh

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 21, 2009, 09:46:15 AM
But why did they say they would meet and then make every excuse under the sun not to meet ?.

Surely they made it easy for the CB to issue that statement last night and give Mc Carthy more ammunition than he already had ??

By not meeting, it has reflected more poorly on the strikers do you not think in the minds of the public ?.

They didn't say anything, why they weren't meeting, the rumour on the ground was because of work commitments and such, but that like I said was mainly speculation.

Why meet, it would  have been a waste of time to meet, it would just reinforce the problems.
It wouldn't matter what the players did, hell they could rescue kids from a burning orphanage and the majority of the public still wouldn't have given them the time of day. Their minds are made up, they were made up by the way McCarthy came across as the poor old victim in the media and the media's spin.
And the players don't, nor have they ever cared what anyone says about them.
They in their view did what's right for Cork, and it doesn't matter who said what, they weren't going to cave.

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on January 21, 2009, 10:20:39 AM
But Indiana Wexford players got rid of Myler last year, the only difference between the Cork and Wexford situations is the WCB listened to the players. And Waterford players got rid of Justin half way through the season but Justin unlike Gerald did the sensible thing IMO, he said if ye don't want me then grand, I'll go somewhere where they do. This isn't a employer/employee issue where compromise can occur and everyone gets something, this is a situation where young men give up a huge amount of time, put in a huge physical effort, sacrifice a large part of their social lives and take a good deal of personal abuse when things don't go right demanding the backroom support necessary for them to perform.

I know you've been involved in GAA to a fairly high level Indiana so you can appreciate that any squad where the panel, rightly or wrongly, have no respect or working relationship with the manager can't succeed. In truth they can't even function let alone succeed so any CB interested in their success wouldn't reappoint that man and IMO any man interested in the success of that team wouldn't put his name forward for that position again anyway.

Exactly, and in any other county or sport or country, when a manager has a terrible results and who has lost the dressing room completley, 100%, where players who have said to the men in charge that they don't and can't play for the manager. It would be the manager who is gotten rid of, not the players, that never happens. But, never say never in Cork. The CB are that awful. Cork is in tatters and what's so sad about all of this is that it was the plan by the CB all along.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 21, 2009, 12:00:07 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 21, 2009, 09:46:15 AM
But why did they say they would meet and then make every excuse under the sun not to meet ?.

Surely they made it easy for the CB to issue that statement last night and give Mc Carthy more ammunition than he already had ??

By not meeting, it has reflected more poorly on the strikers do you not think in the minds of the public ?.

They didn't say anything, why they weren't meeting, the rumour on the ground was because of work commitments and such, but that like I said was mainly speculation.

Why meet, it would  have been a waste of time to meet, it would just reinforce the problems.
It wouldn't matter what the players did, hell they could rescue kids from a burning orphanage and the majority of the public still wouldn't have given them the time of day. Their minds are made up, they were made up by the way McCarthy came across as the poor old victim in the media and the media's spin.
And the players don't, nor have they ever cared what anyone says about them.
They in their view did what's right for Cork, and it doesn't matter who said what, they weren't going to cave.

Perhaps that was a gross error of judgement on their part ? Maybe if they had kept the public onside their cause might have been better served ?

The GAA

In Fairness, the players are following their hearts with this and pr would certainly be well down the list of considerations

Zulu

QuotePerhaps that was a gross error of judgement on their part ? Maybe if they had kept the public onside their cause might have been better served ?

Entirely irrelevant.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on January 21, 2009, 12:30:24 PM

In Fairness, the players are following their hearts with this and pr would certainly be well down the list of considerations

So what was going on Primetime all about then ?.

Zulu

Jesus OM that's 6 posts in a row asking questions that the posters on this thread have answered 100 times over, after a hundred plus pages we have discussed the situation in general terms and in minutiae, what are you looking for? Unless Frank or Donal Og start posting on this thread you won't get any answers to the questions your posting any different than what has been said over and over already. If you still must post on this thread at least post an opinion on what has happened most recently rather than asking questions that have already been answered.

orangeman

You've said that public perception was irrelevant - GAA said that PR wouldn't have been high on the agenda - Reillers keeps talking about how Gerald won the battle for public sympathy.

So I'm merely pointing out how I think that the PR was relevant - in fact very relevant, important and not so far down the agenda as might be imagined.

Do you expect a statement back from the strikers in te next day or two Zulu ?

What's their next move likely to be ?

Zulu

How is it relevant? The players are doing what they believe in and they haven't wavered in that regardless of perceived public opinion. Opinion as has been pointed out is very divided in Cork and everyone I know has retained their original opinion over the course of this issue, so it seems that it is irrelevant what any party says, those who support the players support them regardless of what is said and the same is true for CB supporters.

Yes i presume the players will issue a statement very soon but nothing will now change until the national league starts and then results will dictate everyones next move.

Reillers

Ya either it's my comp or your link but it's not working.

Zulu

It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know as far as i can see.