McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

I dispise that man, the most biased langer, I've never taken a word he's said about hurling, never mind Cork, seriously. He hasn't a clue.
I remember after the draw that Cork should have won against Waterford after that controversial free, Sean Og was being interviewed and at the end said something like sure we'll bring it on again for the next day, or something like that, and the camera went back to the studio and Spillane turned around and said in the thickest Cork accent, Bring it on indeed. It was so pathetic.

And eh OM no one reads or cares for that matter what one of the most biased lads has to say about Cork hurling.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 19, 2009, 06:18:16 PM
I dispise that man, the most biased langer, I've never taken a word he's said about hurling, never mind Cork, seriously. He hasn't a clue.
I remember after the draw that Cork should have won against Waterford after that controversial free, Sean Og was being interviewed and at the end said something like sure we'll bring it on again for the next day, or something like that, and the camera went back to the studio and Spillane turned around and said in the thickest Cork accent, Bring it on indeed. It was so pathetic.

And eh OM no one reads or cares for that matter what one of the most biased lads has to say about Cork hurling.

Now where have I read those comments before ?  ;)

On a serious note Reillers, Spillane might not be best placed or independent enough to talk about Cork. He is a controversial hoor !!

I see that Semple are switching on their new lights in February with Cork and Tipp the big draw in the sitching on ceremony. Can you see ( pardon the pun ) night time hurling catching on ??

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 19, 2009, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 19, 2009, 06:18:16 PM

Now where have I read those comments before ?  ;)

On a serious note Reillers, Spillane might not be best placed or independent enough to talk about Cork. He is a controversial hoor !!

I see that Semple are switching on their new lights in February with Cork and Tipp the big draw in the sitching on ceremony. Can you see ( pardon the pun ) night time hurling catching on ??

;) ;) Hilarious.

Semple turning on their lights with the real Cork team against Tipp would be amazing, the rivalry is one that has lived on and on.
When they turn on the lights with this Cork team, Cork fans will be begging them to turn them off after 5 minutes.
This is going to be the most embarasing season from Cork and McCarthy will have the most unsuccesful career as manager.
But he'll still go out convinving himself that he was a good manager.

orangeman

And the strikers if they stay on strike all year will have lost a precious year from their sometimes short careers. The players will have lost out on an opportunity to take out the cats  - as you say the only way down for KK is down and I honestly thought that it could have been Cork that might have taken their scalp.

The GAA

They'd be wasting year anyway training under mcarthy so what odds?

theskull1

Imagine Antrim Hurlers or Carlow Footballers took such an attitude? What odds indeed?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

The cork players can't work with Gerald and therefore they have no chance of success, as long as the Antrim hurlers or Carlow footballers can work with their coaches then they have some chance of relative success, there is a big difference. I don't know why or how things have got so bad between the players and Gerald but they have and that is all that matters. Some lads here might want to see Cork field their best team for championship but the Cork lads aren't interested in merely playing they want to win and rightly so. If they accepted a sub standard backroom team (and if they can't work with them that is what they are, irrespective of their abilities as coaches, managers etc.) then they would only be fulfilling fixtures and you can be sure they'd get plenty of abuse from 'genuine' Cork GAA folk if and when they get beaten. People only care about results when all is said and done so these lads are rightfully demanding the correct support to help them achieve that.

INDIANA

Where do you draw the line Zulu though? Even If Mc Carthy goes Murphy is still there and its only a matter of time before something else happens.
Murphy is an elected representative of the clubs ( I think he's a tosser but thats besides the point), the players want him out as well. I don't see a solution to the problem except the one where I've suggested all the main protagonists go and give Cork Gaa a fresh start.

Zulu

I agree Indiana but Frank won't go for starters so that's out the window as a realistic option.This is a messy, wasteful episode that reflects well on nobody but IMO every county has to work with, and to a degree, for its players, Cork are working against them and therefore the blame rests largely with the CB. In saying that I've heard a few stories about the players that would ensure I'd never get involved with them in a coaching capacity if ever asked to do so.

theskull1

So everyone else should go on strike if, in their opinion they don't feel they are getting the proper chance to achieve Zulu? The attitude of the cork hurlers in terms of how they view those facilitating them is all wrong.

Zulu

Now where did I say that Skull? the players went on strike because the CB acted not in the best interests of the Cork team but for political payback. They purposefully reappointed Gerald over the express wishes of the panel who told them they neither rated him or could work with him. All the Cork CB had to do was say "ok Gerald is out now lets sit down and pick a new manager any suggestions?"
Some of you will say that the players would only have played for their own choice but I disagree, I think they would have accepted anyone with the necessary pedigree even if he was voted in by the CB men primarily. The one man they didn't want was Gerald, so what do the board do, they reappoint Gerald. Makes no sense to me.

theskull1

You didn't Zulu. I'm proposing that the current panels (well their leaders) propensity to spit the dummy out if in their opinion they are not getting what they think they should, is THE reason that the CB and GMcC are now standing up against them. They've had enough of their tantrums surely...wouldn't you if you were facilitating them?

orangeman

Personally I would say that it's more the case that the CB are standing up to the strikers, and probably Reillers is right in that the CB are now using Mc Carthy to do their fighting for them and the players and Mc Carthy have come out the worst in this.

I always found it strange that the players were so vehemently opposed to Mc Carthy but in actual fact, it should have been the CB that was the real enemy -

I wonder if instead of sitting down with the CB, the players sat down with Mc Carthy, would they be able to resolve anything ?.

Perhaps too much has been said and done on both sides for that to happen , but I've no doubt in spite of what some of you might say about his ability to manage ( as I don't accept that 100% ), that Mc Carthy and the players want the best for Cork hurling. It's only cos bitter things were said early on, that Mc Carthy and more particularly the players, have come out of this the worst.

The CB will survive all of this fallout in the long term - the players and Mc Carthy won't which is unfortunate cos both the players and Mc Carthy started out on the same road, with the same intentions, the same goals, the same ambitions, the same passion and determination.

Somewhere, somehow the CB have started the row and have let the players and Mc Carthy at it.

Maybe Reillers was right all along ???

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on January 20, 2009, 02:55:38 PM
I always found it strange that the players were so vehemently opposed to Mc Carthy but in actual fact, it should have been the CB that was the real enemy -

You now believe that the players are not "vehemently opposed to McCarthy"?

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on January 20, 2009, 02:59:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 20, 2009, 02:55:38 PM

You now believe that the players are not "vehemently opposed to McCarthy"?

No.