McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marym

I heard that Teddy McCarthy gave a  wonderful speech to the Sars team before they won their County final.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2009, 08:25:15 AM
Typical response Reillers - put up the smokescreen and run down the lads that are now taking up the mantle - tell eveybody tat they've been on the pss before the game.

Discredit the lads and try ad get the public back on side !

Did I say who no, did I say what club, no again, and I said ONE, now if I wanted to discredit the lads and try to get the public (which is apparently this site) I would have given a lot more now wouldn't I. My point is that they have never had to fight for the jersey and they've never had to work and sacrifice as much as you usually would if you were playing on the 2008 panel. That's my point.

And What about the rest of the post OM??

Do you think Gerald has earned the job??

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2009, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: Aghdavoyle on January 14, 2009, 11:21:28 AM
Quote from: orangeman on January 13, 2009, 09:39:59 PM
Zulu -

Teddy Mc Carthy is another total legend of Cork GAA. The players now don't want him because he was involved with the footballers last year ?? Is this true ?? If it is, is there no end to what these lads want ? Is there no end to the demands they make ?

Now because he's not falvour of the month with the strikers, you say you wouldn't play for him or want him coach of any team you'd be involved with. Why is this ??

A legend like Teddy Mc Carthy and you don't want him ??????

What or who do you want or would that be a bit much to ask ?

And what happens if the chosen person's training isn't up to scratch or if you get beat in a couple of matches ? What then ?

Strike 4 ?

Can you really be that naive or do you put up this gormless fool act as a smokescreen. you deem that because a player was a "legend" he should walk into a coaching job with his county or that he should automatically command respect in a field entirely different from the one he earned his previous status in?

you don't think that a coach should be appointed on his coaching capacity and respected or otherwise on his subsequent performance in that role?

Teddy McCarthy should be welcomed with open arms into a professional coaching structure because he was a great player?

any chance that his ability to do the job should be a factor?

Any chance that you might pay these lads a bit of respect for a start and then you might get further than the tip of your nose ?.

Of course their coaching ability etc should be looked at - but what I have learned from all of this is that it's got more to do with the CB than anything else.

Teddy Mc Carthy if offering his services to any other club, county, set of players would be welcomed with open arms - but not by this set of players ? What or who will please them ?.

First they want rid of Frank - then Mc Carthy - now Teddy - who next ? Is anybody safe ?

You're one to talk. Like I said, the most biased person on here.
You don't give these players an ounce of respect.
Now last time I checked you earn respect and you have to keep it, who you are or in this case who you were on the field as a player counts nothing for when it comes to being a manager.

The likes of McCarthy didn't do a good job as manager. Ya it's the players who play the games but at the end of the day the poor decisions and such led to a lot of those losses. And that falls on the managers head.

You don't know if he'd be welcomed into any other club or county. You are making a presumption based on what you want to believe, you want to believe that the players are basically evil bastards. You show feck all respect to the players yet here you are lecturing him about not showing respect to the manager.
Grow up.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2009, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 14, 2009, 12:31:20 PM
What makes you think he would be welcomed by every other club or county team in the country?

As for this squad he has twice accepted a role with a management team in dispute with its players therefore he has publicly sided with some of the people alinged against the players. And you think the players should have no problem with him?

Have you ever spoken to him to see what he feels, how he thinks, etc etc ?

How about how the players feel?? They've to put up with him. ALl you do is stick up for McCarthy, you consider nothing else. He took the job twice, knowing on both occasions that the players were, hesitant on the first time, and did not want him at all on the second time. He should have walked away, based on results alone he should have walked away, but his pride was hurt so he stayed.

In your mind, you believe that he has "publicly" sided with some of the people aligned with the players - this might not be true. You've dismissed him right away as being on the "other side". Don't be judging him and condemning him so quickly and don't dismiss him as you've dismissed every CB member and every club delegate as being weak and not having the courage to stand up for themselves ?.

Or it might be true. You've dismissed the players as being the spawn of saitain. You have had no problem condemning each and every one of those players without an ounce of evidence to even remotely back you up. You don't know the situation going on in the CB, so stop talking like you do know.

If you can dismiss out of hand someone like Teddy Mac, what chance have mere mortals got ? Maybe you and the strikers want an external to Cork appointment ?

Zulu

What makes you think he would be welcomed by every other club or county team in the country?

As for this squad he has twice accepted a role with a management team in dispute with its players therefore he has publicly sided with some of the people alinged against the players. And you think the players should have no problem with him?

In your mind, you believe that he has "publicly" sided with some of the people aligned with the players - this might not be true. You've dismissed him right away as being on the "other side". Don't be judging him and condemning him so quickly and don't dismiss him as you've dismissed every CB member and every club delegate as being weak and not having the courage to stand up for themselves ?.

If you can dismiss out of hand someone like Teddy Mac, what chance have mere mortals got ? Maybe you and the strikers want an external to Cork appointment ?

Have you been drinking? You've posted some very questionable 'opinions' on this topic but that post has to be amongst your worst. Last year the players asked for no one to be appointed before their dispute with the CB was resolved but TH took the job anyway and then Teddy Mac joined his backroom team, what the hell would call that, only siding with the CB. Now this year in the middle of another dispute where the players have made it clear they won't play for GMac what does Teddy do only join this backroom team, so again what would you call this, only siding with the CB?

I haven't dismissed Teddy Mac but I do question his motivations, if I wanted to be involved with any team and they were in dispute with the current management or CB I wouldn't publicly make my opinions known one way or the other because you would most likely burn bridges one way or the other.

QuoteIf you can dismiss out of hand someone like Teddy Mac, what chance have mere mortals got ?

You sound like a 14 year old girl talking about Westlife, he is an immortal is he? Give it over, he was a great player but he made himself available as selector for the Cork footballers last year in the middle of a dispute despite the fact he had little involvement in football since he retired, so he was unsuitable for the role either way. Unless of course you think being a good player automatically makes you a good selector/coach/manager.

orangeman

Quote from: marym on January 14, 2009, 01:09:13 PM
I heard that Teddy McCarthy gave a  wonderful speech to the Sars team before they won their County final.

That doesn't count !

Apparently the Sars players were in the pub with Donal Og one night around July time and he gave them a rousing speech and the Sars players actually credit him with the win and not Teddy Mac !

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on January 13, 2009, 07:19:00 PM
QuoteI'm sorry Zulu, there was me thinking that they could still play for their clubs. Are you implying that thats not good enough on it's own for these lads to love the game? I'd like you to elablorate the notion of "volunteers" who disagree with democratically made descisions should usurp that democracy by going on strike as being crazy is "nonsense".

Of course they can and will play for their clubs but this Cork squad is like a club team and these boys shouldn't be forced out by CB manipulation. Democracy is fine but when you have administrators hiding behind the democratic process when they are in fact manipulating the system rather than working within it then you are justified using other means IMO.

Quotezulu
can i ask u what ur thoughts are on with the players meeting with the ccb and management
i hear now they dont want teddy mac there either beause he was a selector with the footballlers last year
are they actually going to talk to anyone or are they again trying to run the show and tell the ccb who they will and wont talk to

I guess the players have to talk with the CB and management but I don't see how this will resolve anything. The CB have repeatedly shown that their motivation is putting the players back in their box and the management team is a non runner as far as this squad is concerned. I don't know what Teddy Mac's motivation is, he has now joined two management teams (in different codes) while they have been in dispute with the players. I personally wouldn't play for him nor would I ever ask him to be a selector if I was coach of a Cork team. I've coached a few teams and the one thing you have to have to be successful is you all have to be pulling in the same direction, which implies trust between the players and the management, this will never occur with Gerald/Teddy and these players. If the players went back under the current management team I'd predict some of the worst displays seen by a Cork team in many years, the only reason Galway didn't beat Cork last year was because Donal Og was sent off, they wouldn't have shown that fight for Gerald IMO. You'd have to question Geralds desire to get these players back after he made Teddy Mac a selector.

That's your view of Teddy Mac - you've great time for him alright !

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on January 14, 2009, 01:48:18 PM

Have you been drinking? You've posted some very questionable 'opinions' on this topic but that post has to be amongst your worst. Last year the players asked for no one to be appointed before their dispute with the CB was resolved but TH took the job anyway and then Teddy Mac joined his backroom team, what the hell would call that, only siding with the CB. Now this year in the middle of another dispute where the players have made it clear they won't play for GMac what does Teddy do only join this backroom team, so again what would you call this, only siding with the CB?

I haven't dismissed Teddy Mac but I do question his motivations, if I wanted to be involved with any team and they were in dispute with the current management or CB I wouldn't publicly make my opinions known one way or the other because you would most likely burn bridges one way or the other.

QuoteIf you can dismiss out of hand someone like Teddy Mac, what chance have mere mortals got ?

You sound like a 14 year old girl talking about Westlife, he is an immortal is he? Give it over, he was a great player but he made himself available as selector for the Cork footballers last year in the middle of a dispute despite the fact he had little involvement in football since he retired, so he was unsuitable for the role either way. Unless of course you think being a good player automatically makes you a good selector/coach/manager.

Aye I was down with the lads - we were all out before the WIT game last week. Almost as good as Cavan !

orangeman

Kilkenny manager Brian Cody believes the ongoing crisis in Cork will not devalue the All-Ireland Hurling Championship.

The stand-off between members of the 2008 Cork squad and management continues to cast a significant shadow over the county's preparations for the League and Championship, but Cody believes the integrity of both competitions will remain intact.

It was hoped a truce was on the horizon after rumours emerged yesterday that the players were willing to meet and discuss the issues.

However, reports in today's Irish Daily Star suggest the players will only meet with county board officials to confirm they will not play under manager Gerald McCarthy again.

Speaking in today's Irish Examiner, Cody said: 'To me, the All-Ireland is never devalued. The Liam MacCarthy is there for those eligible to take part in it. Certainly there is no devaluing of it. The Cork situation is happening down there and has to be sorted there among themselves.

'(What is happening in Cork) doesn't make me grateful (to be from Kilkenny) because I have never seen it any other way. I can't understand why it should be any other way. Everybody looks after themselves. I have no idea what is going on but everybody hopes it will be sorted obviously.'

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2009, 01:52:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 13, 2009, 07:19:00 PM
QuoteI'm sorry Zulu, there was me thinking that they could still play for their clubs. Are you implying that thats not good enough on it's own for these lads to love the game? I'd like you to elablorate the notion of "volunteers" who disagree with democratically made descisions should usurp that democracy by going on strike as being crazy is "nonsense".

Of course they can and will play for their clubs but this Cork squad is like a club team and these boys shouldn't be forced out by CB manipulation. Democracy is fine but when you have administrators hiding behind the democratic process when they are in fact manipulating the system rather than working within it then you are justified using other means IMO.

Quotezulu
can i ask u what ur thoughts are on with the players meeting with the ccb and management
i hear now they dont want teddy mac there either beause he was a selector with the footballlers last year
are they actually going to talk to anyone or are they again trying to run the show and tell the ccb who they will and wont talk to

I guess the players have to talk with the CB and management but I don't see how this will resolve anything. The CB have repeatedly shown that their motivation is putting the players back in their box and the management team is a non runner as far as this squad is concerned. I don't know what Teddy Mac's motivation is, he has now joined two management teams (in different codes) while they have been in dispute with the players. I personally wouldn't play for him nor would I ever ask him to be a selector if I was coach of a Cork team. I've coached a few teams and the one thing you have to have to be successful is you all have to be pulling in the same direction, which implies trust between the players and the management, this will never occur with Gerald/Teddy and these players. If the players went back under the current management team I'd predict some of the worst displays seen by a Cork team in many years, the only reason Galway didn't beat Cork last year was because Donal Og was sent off, they wouldn't have shown that fight for Gerald IMO. You'd have to question Geralds desire to get these players back after he made Teddy Mac a selector.

That's your view of Teddy Mac - you've great time for him alright !

What?

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2009, 01:53:19 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 14, 2009, 01:48:18 PM

Aye I was down with the lads - we were all out before the WIT game last week. Almost as good as Cavan !

What?

passedit

Lads will you please catch a grip and stop replying to orangeman. He is either the biggest windup merchant ever to land on this board or typing here with his elbows between doses of medication.
http://www.youtube.com/v/kKIQbq3dN1g&hl=en&fs=1
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

There are three certainties in life.
Death
Taxes
And Orangeman or Reillers will be last post on the Ger McCarthy thread.

The other near certainty is that the post will have already been made about 5 times previously.

theskull1

How dare you sir!!!!!!

Bringing wit and humour to these pages :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 14, 2009, 02:13:22 PM
There are three certainties in life.
Death
Taxes
And Orangeman or Reillers will be last post on the Ger McCarthy thread.

The other near certainty is that the post will have already been made about 5 times previously.

;) :D ;D ;D