McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 06, 2009, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 01:42:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 06, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
I believe that the players have rejected the offer to sit down on this panel, unless there is no managerial representative, or unless there is equal numbers of attendees.

Can any of the Cork lads confirm?

The wont sit if they are outnumbered again. Equal numbers is fair, the players aren't stupid they wont put themselves in the position where they've ended up in the past.

They agreed to no more strikes last year - 2 representatives - does it REALLY matter how many players and how many county board / management reps there are ?? The issues are still the same surely ??

Do you seriously not no, do you seriously after 100 plus pages still not get it, AT ALL??

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on January 06, 2009, 01:31:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 06, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

What any GAA player does in his own time is indeed his own business, but if said Inter-county player for example opens a supermarket as a private citizen - then no problem

If the same player opens the same supermarket as "Player X, multiple All Ireland winner and All Star with County Y" - then he is using the profile he gained as a member of the GAA and a member of his IC panel - I found it quite ironic that one member of the Cork panel chose the forum of a lucrative sponsorship launch to lambast McCarthy.

I'm not going to post anymore on this topic as we're going around in circles - I'll finish by saying that no matter how much of a gouger Frank Murphy is, how many behind the scenes strokes he's pulled, how many wrong names or clubs McCarthy got, how many white bread sandwiches instead of pasta lunches - the players should not be striking to replace the manager - if they don't want to play under McCarthy then they should simply walk away as is their right

It's not just a Cork hurling problem. It's a national GAA problem.

Nail on head indeed Heffo. It was of course the action (walking away individually) which should have been taken months ago and indeed was suggested by many of us at the time. I am led to believe though that the Cork hurlers have a more noble intention of saving Cork hurling from itself and this is the reason why they have stuck it out collectively. Not quite sure how they will acheive this. I've been hoping that Reillers will elaborate.

Last time I checked, despite what we may believe that's what the players have done, walked away.
If the players give into this if they leave the CB win this time, then that's it, it's over, the CB will have full control. And if we thought Cork GAA was in bad shape now, well I don't want to see it when there's nobody left to stand up to the CB.

Reillers - the players have NOT walked - away - they're in the background - training away - they even have got themselves a trainer. Can you confirm this ? So they are doing colective training - how can you say that they've walked away - you know they haven't.

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on January 06, 2009, 01:31:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 06, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

What any GAA player does in his own time is indeed his own business, but if said Inter-county player for example opens a supermarket as a private citizen - then no problem

If the same player opens the same supermarket as "Player X, multiple All Ireland winner and All Star with County Y" - then he is using the profile he gained as a member of the GAA and a member of his IC panel - I found it quite ironic that one member of the Cork panel chose the forum of a lucrative sponsorship launch to lambast McCarthy.

I'm not going to post anymore on this topic as we're going around in circles - I'll finish by saying that no matter how much of a gouger Frank Murphy is, how many behind the scenes strokes he's pulled, how many wrong names or clubs McCarthy got, how many white bread sandwiches instead of pasta lunches - the players should not be striking to replace the manager - if they don't want to play under McCarthy then they should simply walk away as is their right

It's not just a Cork hurling problem. It's a national GAA problem.

Nail on head indeed Heffo. It was of course the action (walking away individually) which should have been taken months ago and indeed was suggested by many of us at the time. I am led to believe though that the Cork hurlers have a more noble intention of saving Cork hurling from itself and this is the reason why they have stuck it out collectively. Not quite sure how they will acheive this. I've been hoping that Reillers will elaborate.

Last time I checked, despite what we may believe that's what the players have done, walked away.
If the players give into this if they leave the CB win this time, then that's it, it's over, the CB will have full control. And if we thought Cork GAA was in bad shape now, well I don't want to see it when there's nobody left to stand up to the CB.

Walked away individually not collectively Reillers.

Apart from democracy, what are the players giving into?
Apart from individual intercounty playing careers, what else will be over?
What tangibly will the CCB win out of this?
What will the CCB do with full control assuming that these men have not been planted by the IRFU to ruin the game in Cork?
Do you really believe that every GAA man in Cork bar the striking players is as gutless as you imply they are?
What specific measures will the striking players demand to see implemented to bring about changes in the way Cork is run and guarantee the game is saved as a result for all followers and players of the game for the foreseeable future thanks to them?
What specific measures do the striking players want to see implemented to bring about changes the way the County team is run?
Do you believe that the present resession will restrict the demands of the striking players?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on January 06, 2009, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 01:42:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 06, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
I believe that the players have rejected the offer to sit down on this panel, unless there is no managerial representative, or unless there is equal numbers of attendees.

Can any of the Cork lads confirm?

The wont sit if they are outnumbered again. Equal numbers is fair, the players aren't stupid they wont put themselves in the position where they've ended up in the past.

They agreed to no more strikes last year - 2 representatives - does it REALLY matter how many players and how many county board / management reps there are ?? The issues are still the same surely ??

Holy god. of course it matters. the county board have a majority on all issues before you even start otherwise. surely you have a basic graps of mathmatics?
that is either a staggeringly stupid or disinegenuous statement.

Whether players walked away collectively or individually, obviously hurling people in cork want them back or there wouldn't be club motions and mediation attempts to that end.

Reillers

They have said that they have walked away, they are not on strike, DESPITE (like I've said) what we may believe that's what they've done.
They are training and like my posts said there (shock horror you didn't read it) they are training yes, something they are doing in their own time, paying for all of it, the ground, they don't have a lot of gear, no more then their own, they've been in gyms again paid by themselves, people in fairness have been good to them, bringing them down sliotars and such, but they are training at their own expenses in their own time. And ya they have trainers Seánie McGrath and Gerry Wallis.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 02:29:48 PM
They have said that they have walked away, they are not on strike, DESPITE (like I've said) what we may believe that's what they've done.
They are training and like my posts said there (shock horror you didn't read it) they are training yes, something they are doing in their own time, paying for all of it, the ground, they don't have a lot of gear, no more then their own, they've been in gyms again paid by themselves, people in fairness have been good to them, bringing them down sliotars and such, but they are training at their own expenses in their own time. And ya they have trainers Seánie McGrath and Gerry Wallis.

Why did Gerry Wallis go with the  striking players when he had firstly committed to Mc Carthy ? Then Wallis cited work commitments for the reason he couldn't do it - but suddenly his work commitments allow him to train the strikers ??

cicfada

Either they have walked away ie they are not going to play any part again in intercounty hurling for Cork or else they are on strike! Which is it please? They must think that the public are thick if they say they have walked away and then continue to train and get Adidas gear and get pics taken of them every time they are in Mallow! They should be honest and admit they are on strike! What's the point of  training otherwise? of course people want them back but just be honest! They say they want no part in picking a manager but want rid of Mc Carthy, is that not contradictory? Finally even if they got rid of Mc Carthy, who is next? Frank or some other sacrificial lamb from the board? Some of the players should be willing to walk the plank themselves if that's the case...just to keep it even like! If the amount of reps discussing the dispute has to be even then so should the amount of compromise be! ;)

orangeman

Quote from: cicfada on January 06, 2009, 03:19:33 PM
Either they have walked away ie they are not going to play any part again in intercounty hurling for Cork or else they are on strike! Which is it please? They must think that the public are thick if they say they have walked away and then continue to train and get Adidas gear and get pics taken of them every time they are in Mallow! They should be honest and admit they are on strike! What's the point of  training otherwise? of course people want them back but just be honest! They say they want no part in picking a manager but want rid of Mc Carthy, is that not contradictory? Finally even if they got rid of Mc Carthy, who is next? Frank or some other sacrificial lamb from the board? Some of the players should be willing to walk the plank themselves if that's the case...just to keep it even like! If the amount of reps discussing the dispute has to be even then so should the amount of compromise be! ;)

They're totally honest, would never tell a lie and only want what is best for Crok hurling as it is dying, according to pro player posters.

And yes, we are thick, for even asking the questions - they're on strike - simple as that - they haven't walked away - they're away huffing and puffing - and only want to be run after so that they can claim victory when all this is over.

orangeman

Whenever the Cork hurlers want to get their message across in matters relating to the dislike of their bainisteoir or their latest plans to go on strike they normally turn to the Irish Examiner for publicity so who better than that paper's GAA writer Michael Moynihan to guide us through a turbulent 12 years on Leeside.

Moynihan is the man with the insider knowledge and knows more than most about what makes the players tick and why and how they have clashed with and gotten the better of their county board.

The tale throws in away back in 1996 when the Rebels were on the wrong end of a record hammering by Limerick in the Munster championship. 3-18 to 1-8 was the final score in a game recalled in detail by luminaries such as Joe Deane and Seán Óg Ó hAilpin. The progression of the team immediately after that is diagnosed in detail by Moynihan and he gives the background to the sudden upsurge in fortunes that saw Cork take the Liam McCarthy cup just three years later on a miserably wet day at Croke Park - "Raindrops as big a sliotars," says Ó hAilpin.

The success wasn't built on and by 2002 the players were on strike, seeking to improve their conditions and ensure the future of the sport was on a good footing. They took on the county board and won. It was uphill all they way after that with plenty of Munster and All-Ireland success; the only low-point being Deane's cancer scare.

By late 2007 player power was back in Cork with another strike cloud hanging over the county. But that's the way they are in the Rebel county - standing up for what they believe in. Who's to say strike action will not be a regular feature of Cork hurling? Certainly they are the only county side with a book written about them that includes 'Labour Relations Commission' as an index entry.

'Blood Brothers' is an excellent book by a well informed writer that may find an audience amongst Cork fans rather than the average fan up and down the country.

Reillers

:( :o
That, out of all of that, you get that??
You picked an article, highlighted a few words, (again,) you take it, completley out of context, just highlight random words and then you ramble on and on.

Why do you even bother posting, and I'm actually worse for replying.
But one thing that has bugged me..

Where are you from??

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 06, 2009, 03:42:51 PM
:( :o
That, out of all of that, you get that??
You picked an article, highlighted a few words, (again,) you take it, completley out of context, just highlight random words and then you ramble on and on.

Why do you even bother posting, and I'm actually worse for replying.
But one thing that has bugged me..

Where are you from??

I was merely pointing out that the writer was saying that Cork players seem to have a predisposition to striking - it's almost second nature.

Tyrone.

And they're on strike just in case you'reclaiming something else.

The GAA

The part of this dscussion thatamazes me is that you are no more informed than the rest of us plebs OM. you have no access to people on the ground or info that could be influencing opinions behind the scenes. like the rest of us, you should only be able to make general observations in any sort of informed manner and be frustrated at the entrenchment on both sides.

instead, you continually present conjecture and assumptions as fact, present your opinion as that of the masses and deduce schemes and plots by reading between the lines in newspaper articles (written by biased journos according to you - god knows how you know that).

to further weaken your position (and to piss everyone off) you analyse commentary on the subect matter in a chidish manner before crayoning your astonishing conclusions in reply.

when all of this was pointed out to you many months ago you dismissed it all and seem determined to prove yourself an informed and readable poster on the topic. you've failed miserably but soldier on regardless in some vain aspiration to seem informed and be proved right.

this is a disasterous situation for the GAA and avery important topic to be discussed. unfortunately your predictable monologues (intersparsed with the reiller's futile attempts to be concise) make this thread negative, tetchy, argumentative and largely off the point.

Malone Aristocrat

Amen to that.

I've been trying to follow this debat but i have to say that Orangeman's stuff and his refusal to acknowledge or understand other people's points has been frustrating to read. while i'm typing - reillers - do you have to write a book with every post?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 03, 2009, 10:12:16 AM
Reillers Just wondering what the ex senior cork players views are on the lads that are now training with Cork and Gerald McCarthy ? Would you think they see the newcomers are crossing the "picket line" or would they view them as just pieces in a game of chess. 

i can't see any respone to this question and i'm not tring to stir shit or anything by i genuinely wonder what the non training cork players thoughts are on the lads that are training. Like for e.g if they were to come back what would the mood in the camp be? Would there be loads of cliques when training? What would sqaud morale be like?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Zulu

DR if the Cork lads come back the current panel will revert to a development panel i.e. they will all be dropped, how long this 'development panel' will last is questionable.

What I can't understand about the pro-CCB posters is that ye still don't understand why the players are unwilling to compromise with the CB. Like I said already I've heard some very disturbing stories about the behind the scenes in the Cork hurling camp in the last 2 years. If even half the stories were half true it was a very dysfunctional camp and the players as part of the selection committee told the 5 CB representatives this and what do they do ...... they reappoint the man. They then say they are willing to meet the players but McCarthy's job is not on the table, so why should the players meet with them?