McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

It is obviously a two way street but cross over GAA stars are definitely very important to the GAA, Sean Og inspires more kids to play the GAA than a hundred administrators or groundsmen. That is something we all surly agree with, i've answered your question so can you answer mine do you really think it is about money and why?

theskull1

Agreed Zulu, but that sort of eulogising should be done by those that follow the game as well as youngsters who aspire to be like their idols. The self interests of the trumpet blower make such comments a bit sickening from my point of view. In time those very same youngsters will realise that those administrators, mentors, groundmen & club players have an equal importance in the grand scheme of things.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stevetharlear

Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 08:14:36 PM
Reillers is dreaming of next September with one Ger in and onther Ger out. The players will be brought to Croke Park in chauffeur driven limousines and will be allowed to have Paddy Power, Corona Extra Lite, Guinness, Barrys Tea or whatever they want on their hurls.

They will have a sit doen protest if Donal Og isn't allowed to use his chosen sliothar even it hasn't been approved by the GPA ( the governing body ). Donal Og will present and accept the new version of the Liam Mc Carthy Cup which from now on will be sponsored by Club Energise Cup for those from Cork and The Lucozade Sport Cup for all other counties.

Here's what Dessie said recently :

What about the next generation?  How critical to their future and the future of our games are men like Ó hAilpín, Gardiner, Shefflin, Canning, the Kellys, the Ó Sés, O'Sullivan, Cavanagh, Dooher, the Brogans to name but a few. The player should not be regarded as some sort of product on a never- ending conveyor belt. Some of us were fortunate to realise our dreams, others were not, but without the dream and the great players to provide the inspiration what do you have? Without these players there is nothing

Do the GPA really believe that without Gardiner and O hAilpin there is nothing ????????? No wonder the Cork lads are behaving the way they are, listening to this rubbish for the gospel.

This post shows you up for what you are and why you're so interested in this thread OM. There's nothing wrong with being anti-GPA but this situation has nothing to do with them. This is about Cork hurling and Cork hurling only.

There'll be plenty of battles for you to fight in the future, and closer to home, but this isn't one of them.

Reillers, why do you waste your time constantly repeating yourself to these lads. They're only winding you up.

Realrebel, the style of writing is completely different between Reillers and stfrancis. More's the point, what difference would it make if they were the same. I've roughly the same views as Reillers and Zulu. Maybe I am Reillers. Maybe I am Tyler Durden. I'm confused.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 09:23:30 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 05, 2009, 09:08:32 PM
Ya and atleast they are doing something, people have a very divided on the GPA and their politics and what they mean, people think that all they want is pay for play.
But one thing has to be said about them is that they care about the game, both codes, and at least they are doing something, trying to get the game to grow.
Dessie's point was

What about the next generation?
The GAA take these men for granted. The work they are doing with their county (and their clubs.)
Where would the GAA be if we didn't have Ga or Sean Og or Shefflin, Canning, Dooher..etc. If nobody did anything, if people did live the dream. The GAA would have nothing.
Without these players the GAA would be in trouble, it'd have nothing.
Role models, ambassdors, heroes to many. I remember after the Cork Galway game we'd the young lads out for training, a bunch of 9/10 year olds and they all were trying to hit the ball like Deane, hit the ball over the bar with the hurley upside down, and bless half of them can barely hit the ball over with the hurley the right way, but they all wanted to be like good old Deano. All because of one inspiring point. You couldn't walk down the street that weekend without seeing a lad with a hurley. Instead of a growing amount of rugby balls. These players keep the game popular, it keeps it going.

I really can't believe that all you got out of this was to criticise the Cork lads, all you did was highlight their name in a long list and for no reason whinged and bitched, and you keep saying you're not biased.

Where would Sean Og be without the GAA ??? How much worse off would he be ??? How much did he make last year from the GAA ?

This is not about Mc Carthy - it's bout about the CB - it's not about hurling dying in Cork !!

I'll tell you all what it's about !! It's all about €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ money !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what it's about !!!

What Sean Og does in his own personal time is his buisness. Where would Sean Og be without the GAA, excuse me, but Sean Og and co have gotten to where they have gotten because he is bloody good. Everything he has gotten he has earned. Don't you dare judge him for doing what everyone else does.
He is where he is because he is that good not because he's been given a favour by the GAA.
He'd probably still be playing for his club or he might even be in Australia. But everything the gentleman has gotten he has earned.

Michael Duignam said in the pre Cork Clare game build up, talking about legendary players saying like..

"Where would you get the likes of Sean Og O Hailpin, a gentleman like him, a great embasador for the game and I feel that sometimes the GAA underutilises these people I'd have that man on the road 7 days a week going around the country promoting the game He's just an incredible personality brilliant with children and a great role model"

Money?? You really don't know do you.
You haven't a fuckin clue, yes oh I said it again, what it's about and you've no proof to say it is.
Where are you from, surely it's not a GAA county.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 09:40:35 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 05, 2009, 09:33:39 PM
QuoteI'll tell you all what it's about !! It's all about €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ money !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what it's about !!!

If after 100+ pages you honestly believe that, then you truly haven't grasped anything that has been said by anyone on this discussion. Whatever the rights and wrongs, whatever the motivations of either side are, it is not money and the fact that you suggest it is after all that has been said makes me wonder about your motivations.

Reillers says that the GAA would be nothing without Sean Og at al. What would they be wthout the GAA ?
OMG I can't believe that you just..your special. Actuall special.
I didn't say that, you're an idiot, you really are an idiot.

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on January 05, 2009, 09:52:00 PM
It is obviously a two way street but cross over GAA stars are definitely very important to the GAA, Sean Og inspires more kids to play the GAA than a hundred administrators or groundsmen. That is something we all surly agree with, i've answered your question so can you answer mine do you really think it is about money and why?

Good luck I'm waiting 20 pages. He tends to ignore the ones where he's been shown to be wrong or shown up or ones he can't answer.

And

True. Sean Og and co inspire more and make more pick up hurleys then the executives and admisitrators ever will.

imtommygunn

OM never has one person contributed so much tripe to a thread.

I have read from afar and enjoyed some insightful comments , and some rants in anger too, but you have done as much as any one man could to ruin a discussion thread! Reillers has on occassion got carried away but his enthusiasm has to be admired. It has been one man against the rest for a while bar the odd supporter.

Where has your money comment come from? Really do you have any idea what's going on? In the world never mind this thread based on some contributions!

orangeman

Some of the lads on strike, especially the senior lads make a fair wee wage from their commercial activities bbased on their status with Cork GAA - They feel they are losing profile, thus their earning potential is going down - they want a change of manager to maintain their status.

It wasn't me who claimed that the GPA are behind this and who hope to encourage other counties to join in so that they will ultimately get paid.

And I'll post a few things not of mine - but you might be surprised by them.

orangeman

Quote from: stevetharlear on December 30, 2008, 04:18:32 PM
I'm not sure that any of the hurlers have said they'd go back if Ger Mac resigned. I'm sure a few of them have said that they'd never play under him again but how have people jumped on this as their reason for striking.

Who's to say that they won't stop at that and that they are doing it for the betterment of Cork GAA, and not just for selfish reasons as is being put forward here.

Personally I hope they stay out until they're paid to play.
[/b]

Mmmmmmmm.

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2009, 10:29:46 PM
OM never has one person contributed so much tripe to a thread.

I have read from afar and enjoyed some insightful comments , and some rants in anger too, but you have done as much as any one man could to ruin a discussion thread! Reillers has on occassion got carried away but his enthusiasm has to be admired. It has been one man against the rest for a while bar the odd supporter.

Where has your money comment come from? Really do you have any idea what's going on? In the world never mind this thread based on some contributions!

According to Reillers and you - no ! But I've some idea - some insight into what's going on - some insight into what is being pushed and by whom. So don't just dismiss my comments as rubbish and exhonerate Reillers and commend his passion even if as you say he might have got carried away on occasion.  ;)

I am posting here with as much passion and feel as strongly in the opposite way to Reillers.

Now can you tell me how many company cars the Cork senior hurling squad have at their disposal currently or does that not matter one jot ???

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 05, 2009, 10:20:58 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 09:23:30 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 05, 2009, 09:08:32 PM
Ya and atleast they are doing something, people have a very divided on the GPA and their politics and what they mean, people think that all they want is pay for play.
But one thing has to be said about them is that they care about the game, both codes, and at least they are doing something, trying to get the game to grow.
Dessie's point was

What about the next generation?
The GAA take these men for granted. The work they are doing with their county (and their clubs.)
Where would the GAA be if we didn't have Ga or Sean Og or Shefflin, Canning, Dooher..etc. If nobody did anything, if people did live the dream. The GAA would have nothing.
Without these players the GAA would be in trouble, it'd have nothing.
Role models, ambassdors, heroes to many. I remember after the Cork Galway game we'd the young lads out for training, a bunch of 9/10 year olds and they all were trying to hit the ball like Deane, hit the ball over the bar with the hurley upside down, and bless half of them can barely hit the ball over with the hurley the right way, but they all wanted to be like good old Deano. All because of one inspiring point. You couldn't walk down the street that weekend without seeing a lad with a hurley. Instead of a growing amount of rugby balls. These players keep the game popular, it keeps it going.

I really can't believe that all you got out of this was to criticise the Cork lads, all you did was highlight their name in a long list and for no reason whinged and bitched, and you keep saying you're not biased.

Where would Sean Og be without the GAA ??? How much worse off would he be ??? How much did he make last year from the GAA ?

This is not about Mc Carthy - it's bout about the CB - it's not about hurling dying in Cork !!

I'll tell you all what it's about !! It's all about €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ money !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what it's about !!!

What Sean Og does in his own personal time is his buisness. Where would Sean Og be without the GAA, excuse me, but Sean Og and co have gotten to where they have gotten because he is bloody good. Everything he has gotten he has earned. Don't you dare judge him for doing what everyone else does. He is where he is because he is that good not because he's been given a favour by the GAA.
He'd probably still be playing for his club or he might even be in Australia. But everything the gentleman has gotten he has earned.

Michael Duignam said in the pre Cork Clare game build up, talking about legendary players saying like..

"Where would you get the likes of Sean Og O Hailpin, a gentleman like him, a great embasador for the game and I feel that sometimes the GAA underutilises these people I'd have that man on the road 7 days a week going around the country promoting the game He's just an incredible personality brilliant with children and a great role model"

Money?? You really don't know do you.
You haven't a fuckin clue, yes oh I said it again, what it's about and you've no proof to say it is.
Where are you from, surely it's not a GAA county.

There you go again Reillers - as soon as I touch the raw nerve and tell it just as it is, what's your resonse ??? The same - I haven't a f--king clue !! This one must really have hurt.

So how much then ??? Or do you not know ???? Come on Reillers, don't run away from it !! Face up to it - or do you not want the hassle at your time of day ??

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 11:27:57 PM

Some of the lads on strike, especially the senior lads make a fair wee wage from their commercial activities bbased on their status with Cork GAA - They feel they are losing profile, thus their earning potential is going down - they want a change of manager to maintain their status.

It wasn't me who claimed that the GPA are behind this and who hope to encourage other counties to join in so that they will ultimately get paid.

What the hulers do in their spare time is their own business. And it's actually so typical of you to ignore absolute everything anyone says to you and you have to go back about 2 pages to have something to reply for that isn't a hard question.

And yet again, what are you on about, where do you get these ideas about money and profiles.
Ya you're right, all of this all of this hastle of wanting a different manager was to "maintain their status."
You are either
a) That stupid
b)That naive
c) Or you hate the players that much
Or
d)All of the above.

Do yourself a favour, go buy yourself a copy of Blood Brothers for yourself (it's a book about Cork hurling in case you don't know) and it will make you realise how much an idiot of yourself you're making.

Zulu

QuoteSome of the lads on strike, especially the senior lads make a fair wee wage from their commercial activities bbased on their status with Cork GAA - They feel they are losing profile, thus their earning potential is going down - they want a change of manager to maintain their status.

OM that is only your opinion and I can't see any logic in it. If the players motivation was money then they should be playing rather than striking, Sean Og, Donal Og, Gardiner, Kenny and the two O'Connors would all still definitely make this years panel and probably team. So why kick up a fuss?, anyway most IC players that I know did better out of their profile after they retired than before, they opened businesses that they could put time into and became very well off. If the players were motivated by money they would have played this year or just retired, thus keeping their reputations intact.

Besides I've already pointed out to you that many of the Cork players don't do half as well out of their profile as they could and the vast majority of them get nothing for playing (monetarily) so why are they all still singing off the same page? Surely these players are aware of what some of these senior players are getting, so why are they fighting if it is only to increase the bank balance of their senior teammates?

Not that you have any proof that any of them actually do as well out of their profile as you suggest, in fact only Sean Og would appear to me to be doing well. You're not suggesting retaining a company car is the motivation for some of these lads are you?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on January 05, 2009, 11:48:21 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2009, 11:27:57 PM

What the hulers do in their spare time is their own business. And it's actually so typical of you to ignore absolute everything anyone says to you and you have to go back about 2 pages to have something to reply for that isn't a hard question.

And yet again, what are you on about, where do you get these ideas about money and profiles.
Ya you're right, all of this all of this hastle of wanting a different manager was to "maintain their status."
You are either
a) That stupid
b)That naive
c) Or you hate the players that much
Or
d)All of the above.

Do yourself a favour, go buy yourself a copy of Blood Brothers for yourself (it's a book about Cork hurling in case you don't know) and it will make you realise how much an idiot of yourself you're making.

Good answer Reillers - sorry I haven't a clue - I must go out and buy that book - is Gerald Mc Carthy in it at all ?? Would he be considered one of the Blood Brothers ??

Now tell me, how much ??????

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on January 05, 2009, 11:52:03 PM
QuoteSome of the lads on strike, especially the senior lads make a fair wee wage from their commercial activities bbased on their status with Cork GAA - They feel they are losing profile, thus their earning potential is going down - they want a change of manager to maintain their status.

OM that is only your opinion and I can't see any logic in it. If the players motivation was money then they should be playing rather than striking, Sean Og, Donal Og, Gardiner, Kenny and the two O'Connors would all still definitely make this years panel and probably team. So why kick up a fuss?, anyway most IC players that I know did better out of their profile after they retired than before, they opened businesses that they could put time into and became very well off. If the players were motivated by money they would have played this year or just retired, thus keeping their reputations intact.

Besides I've already pointed out to you that many of the Cork players don't do half as well out of their profile as they could and the vast majority of them get nothing for playing (monetarily) so why are they all still singing off the same page? Surely these players are aware of what some of these senior players are getting, so why are they fighting if it is only to increase the bank balance of their senior teammates?

Not that you have any proof that any of them actually do as well out of their profile as you suggest, in fact only Sean Og would appear to me to be doing well. You're not suggesting retaining a company car is the motivation for some of these lads are you?

You're right - I'm more than likely way off the mark but it's just a thought cos I can't for the life of me understand why the players are being SO militant. And you're probably right in that only a few are making big bucks out of the jersey. But again, it wasn't myself who suggested that the hand of the GPA is directing this in order to advance pay for play. Cork is a high profile county, high profile players, stakes are huge, and if the players are successful in eefectively getting rid of a manager and picking their own, then the sky is the limit.

I've no proof for this but it has been said that there are fair number within the striking panel who now wish to return but the "leaders" are holding out and are urging them not to break ranks and are accusing them of neing traitors if they return.

Again, I've no proof but this group would consist of more than the 2 Sullivan lads.