McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 04, 2009, 04:43:26 PM
QuoteNo, it's was the 4v2 that was suggested. No 2-2-2 was ever suggested at any time. Where the hell did you get that from.

Mu understanding was that it was 2 from each of the 3 sides. At least when I heard the proposal that is what I thought was involved. Also my understadning was that the proposal was made as a way to get people taliking - even if it was to establish a further forum and structure to sort the issue out. Cannot understand why the players are not prepared to enter into some form of discussions - it is not binding arbitration.

They're learning from past experiences. Being outnumbered by the CB isn't on their top to do list, they don't trust them as far as they can throw them, they really really don't trust them.

Know I miss understood you, I didn't read your post probably, 2-2-2 was the 4-2 which I was on about, I thought you meant as well, they would feel outnumbered. Feel that it's 4 against 2.Two of the players, and two from the board and two from McCarthy's managment team..that is 4-2 in their eyes.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2009, 05:17:02 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 04, 2009, 02:17:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2009, 12:18:52 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 03, 2009, 06:52:42 PM
Oh they'll have a team there all right but the question is what team.

Other counties, in other counties if the results are as bad and the manager who didn't want the job in the first place, who told the players that he wasn't going to go for it again, has lost the dressing the faith of the players, when he's not doing his job, it is the manager who is gotten rid of, not the players....oh but in Cork.

Are you not in favour of McCarthy staying on so?

McCarthy should never have gotten the job in the first place, never mind be reappointed. But like in every other sport, every other country, every other county, every other team, when a manager has had bad results, when they've lost the faith of the players, when he's lost the backing of the players, when the dressing room is lost, it's the manager who's gotten rid of. FACT.
But in Cork, no, no of course not.

Its a disgrace to say that a guy who has lost 30 players is still in the job, a job he didn't want in the first place.

The CCB have mishandled the situation from the beginning, the players and Gerald haven't acted in the wisest manners at times, but for Cork hurling to succeed the CB needs to be brought into this century.

McCarthy should never have gotten reappointed, but I would rather not see him get sacked from it now, I'd rather see him walk away, if he got sacked it would just be confirming what we all know, that the CB did this, all of this to get rid of the players and that they could have and should have done it months ago. McCarthy is a legend of a player, and I'd rather he'd see himself that it's time to leave.

In the Examiner yesteday it said that basically, can't remember the direct quote, but this is from Rebel GAA so I'll just take it from that post until I find the Examiner lol..
that.."After the 2008 season ended, McCarthy told one senior player that he would only be back as manager if the players wanted him back. Following the All Ireland semi final defeat by Kilkenny, one of McCarthy's backroom team told players that he had advised the manager not to go forward for 2009: two discussions which informed the player reps' approach to the reappointments process."
I don't know if it's the direct quote but it's the jist of it.

Or apparently so.

So you reckon the CCB are at fault and McCarthy should step down?

Ya. But that's not to say that the players are faultess either.

stevetharlear

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 04, 2009, 04:43:26 PM
QuoteNo, it's was the 4v2 that was suggested. No 2-2-2 was ever suggested at any time. Where the hell did you get that from.

Mu understanding was that it was 2 from each of the 3 sides. At least when I heard the proposal that is what I thought was involved. Also my understadning was that the proposal was made as a way to get people taliking - even if it was to establish a further forum and structure to sort the issue out. Cannot understand why the players are not prepared to enter into some form of discussions - it is not binding arbitration.

There are only 2 sides. Under the 2-2-2 situation it would be 4-2 in favour of the CB.

It was known that the players wouldn't accept this but was put forward anyway, another PR move. Now, as all expected, the players look bad for not wasting their time with it.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 04, 2009, 07:47:13 PM

Other counties, in other counties if the results are as bad and the manager who didn't want the job in the first place, who told the players that he wasn't going to go for it again, has lost the dressing the faith of the players, when he's not doing his job, it is the manager who is gotten rid of, not the players....oh but in Cork.

McCarthy should never have gotten the job in the first place, never mind be reappointed. But like in every other sport, every other country, every other county, every other team, when a manager has had bad results, when they've lost the faith of the players, when he's lost the backing of the players, when the dressing room is lost, it's the manager who's gotten rid of. FACT.

Its a disgrace to say that a guy who has lost 30 players is still in the job, a job he didn't want in the first place.

The CCB have mishandled the situation from the beginning, the players and Gerald haven't acted in the wisest manners at times, but for Cork hurling to succeed the CB needs to be brought into this century.

McCarthy should never have gotten reappointed, but I would rather not see him get sacked from it now, I'd rather see him walk away, if he got sacked it would just be confirming what we all know, that the CB did this, all of this to get rid of the players and that they could have and should have done it months ago. McCarthy is a legend of a player, and I'd rather he'd see himself that it's time to leave.

In the Examiner yesteday it said that basically, can't remember the direct quote, but this is from Rebel GAA so I'll just take it from that post until I find the Examiner lol..
that.."After the 2008 season ended, McCarthy told one senior player that he would only be back as manager if the players wanted him back. Following the All Ireland semi final defeat by Kilkenny, one of McCarthy's backroom team told players that he had advised the manager not to go forward for 2009: two discussions which informed the player reps' approach to the reappointments process."

Or apparently so.

Do you not think that Frank Murphy is an excellent Secretary and one of the finest administrators in the country though?

Reillers

Of course it was, a PR stunt, the only thing that the CB are good at. They made the players look bad for not wasting their time.

The CB have failed in so many different ways, especially  the way they've dealt with this, the CCB have failed to take ownership of anything ever.
They are a failure in every conceivable meaning of the word and with the exception of some well meaning club delegates, they are a disgrace but as the a typical attitude of the GAA goes, we don't care if it's shite, it'll do. Comparing them to other counties, especially top counties in both codes, putting them as a benchmark will show their failures and piss poor attitidude

These points were brought up at Rebel GAA and I think it's perfectly right tbh. Bang on.

1. The falling numbers playing Gaa in Cork.
2. Almost zero success at underage level in hurling, with no excuses because the players are there.
3. THREE serious disputes in last 6 years with their elite squads, the people they are supposed to be backing and working with.
4. Serious, pathetic fixture chaos every single summer in all divisions at all levels.
5. Pairc Ui Caoimh, the county's main ground in bits, it's uncomfortable, dirty, and crumbling, it's falling apart. It's a death trap. Among the weeds, cracks and hard cround it's injuries waiting to happen.
6. Underage "development" practically unheard of. f**k all.
7. No ambition, advantcement or activity at ccb level, leading to people not caring at club level
8. A complete lack of accountability by professional officers

Just some of the f**k ups fromk these bunch of out of touch fossils at the CCB executive level. So expecting these people to take ownership of an issue "is akin to  expcecting the Titanic to rise itself." Good luck with that.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2009, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: Reillers on January 04, 2009, 07:47:13 PM

Or apparently so.

Do you not think that Frank Murphy is an excellent Secretary and one of the finest administrators in the country though?

:D :D As I've learned, about 5 seconds ago, sarcasim doesn't come across online well so I only have to hope that you're being sarcastic.

Tatler Jack

QuoteOf course it was, a PR stunt, the only thing that the CB are good at.

This was a motion from the floor and it was clear  the executive were not that anxious to put it to the covention. It was carried by a large majority. Cannot see how it was meant as a PR stunt. I saw on delegate voting for it who earlier had been very critical of the executive.

realrebel

reillers
u keep going on bout ger lying all the time and yet ive asked u before are u stfrancis on the rebel gaa site and u say ur not
u should pratice what u preach about lying
be a man and admit ur stfrancis every post on there is the exact same as ur posts here

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on January 04, 2009, 08:53:26 PM
reillers
u keep going on bout ger lying all the time and yet ive asked u before are u stfrancis on the rebel gaa site and u say ur not
u should pratice what u preach about lying
be a man and admit ur stfrancis every post on there is the exact same as ur posts here

And I keep telling you I'm not. I said I took it from Rebel GAA, but I'm not him.
If I quote a post from someone else does that make me them, how about 3 posts, would that make me all 3 people. I'm not him, check if you want. I'm not him.

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 04, 2009, 08:50:37 PM
QuoteOf course it was, a PR stunt, the only thing that the CB are good at.

This was a motion from the floor and it was clear  the executive were not that anxious to put it to the covention. It was carried by a large majority. Cannot see how it was meant as a PR stunt. I saw on delegate voting for it who earlier had been very critical of the executive.

Oh they knew full well that the players wouldn't agree to it, why waste their time.

cicfada

Reillers, tell me this much! If the format is changed to 2 from the players and 2 from the board/management team and they inevitably come to a 2 v 2 stalemate, what happens then?  Who decides the outcome then? And for the record the Derry Gowan proposal, proposed by Pat Horgan of Midleton was voted 120 to 50,  so hardly more than half of the delegates  bothered to vote but those who voted for it did it in the absence of anything else being proposed! 4 against 2 won't work, 2 againat 2 won't work  (IMHO) so what the hell will?

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on January 04, 2009, 09:44:00 PM
Reillers, tell me this much! If the format is changed to 2 from the players and 2 from the board/management team and they inevitably come to a 2 v 2 stalemate, what happens then?  Who decides the outcome then? And for the record the Derry Gowan proposal, proposed by Pat Horgan of Midleton was voted 120 to 50,  so hardly more than half of the delegates  bothered to vote but those who voted for it did it in the absence of anything else being proposed! 4 against 2 won't work, 2 againat 2 won't work  (IMHO) so what the hell will?

I don't know. But 4-2 wont work and that's what it is.

2 from the players, 2 from the board and 2 neutrals maybe? I'd suggest O Grady and Cunnignham but I know full well they despise the board as much as any Cork man who has been in the job.
I don't know, but 2-2 could work, stalement maybe but it's equal power.

realrebel

why do u keep quoting other peoples lines can u not think of anything to say yourself
well if ur him who are ya coz ur not under reillers that means ur under a different name so u are lying

zoyler

As far as I can see the only thing that will satisfy the senior players is the County board giving them full rights over the selection of the coach or at least a veto on every appointment.  In this eventuality why bother with a County Board or structure at all - just give the senior lads carte blance and an unlimited number of signed blank cheques and let them bring their own favourites into the panel.

They will deny that this is what the want but it is where the logic of their actions can only lead and how can a county board possible allow it,

realrebel

2 from the players, 2 from the board and 2 neutrals maybe? I'd suggest O Grady and Cunnignham but I know full well they despise the board as much as any Cork man who has been in the job.
I don't know, but 2-2 could work, stalement maybe but it's equal power.
[/quote]

2 neutrals and u pick o grady and cunnignham are u for real what world are u living in reillers to call them neutral
if and when it comes down to 2v2 whats to say ger mac is part of the 2
are the players not going to agree to this are they going to tell the ccb who they can bring