McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

So let me get this right ... and I have no axe to grind with either side ...

Gerald McCarthy's physical and hurling trainer will be Aodan McGaerailt?

Is that not a bit of a step down/backwards? Or will he have someone else alongside him?

stevetharlear

Quote from: JMohan on January 02, 2009, 06:29:41 PM

Is that not a bit of a step down/backwards? Or will he have someone else alongside him?
McGearailt will be just doing fitness JMohan. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. These young lads are gonna have to be fit because they won't be able to mix it hurling-wise.

Game over as far as the senior panel goes I think. Such a shame. I hope they all know they have plenty of support in the county.

I never thought I'd ever be saying this but I won't be shouting for or watching Cork this year in the hurling.

cicfada

Quote from: stevetharlear on January 02, 2009, 07:55:05 PM

McGearailt will be just doing fitness JMohan. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. These young lads are gonna have to be fit because they won't be able to mix it hurling-wise.

Game over as far as the senior panel goes I think. Such a shame. I hope they all know they have plenty of support in the county.

I never thought I'd ever be saying this but I won't be shouting for or watching Cork this year in the hurling.

Good job you are "thar lear" then, isn't it Steve? I don't think the game is up yet, it'll be interesting to see the reaction  of the public after a few trimmings from other teams in the league!  Somebody should really publish a poll of support for the players among club members in the county now and then do another one around March and we'll see the difference!!  On another matter, if the players don't want 4 to be negotiating with through Olwyn Kelleher then would 1 from the board and from Mc Carthy's team be acceptable?  Hard to think of what the hell is acceptable to them really!

stevetharlear

I presume that would be acceptable to them cic, and only fair I'd say.

It'll be too late come March or April, I've no doubt that we'll see some of these hurlers in the future but I doubt it'll be this year.

Reillers

Quote from: stevetharlear on January 02, 2009, 07:55:05 PM

There seems to be a feeling of that going around Cork. I, I don't know.
Some say they'll go anyway, others refuse to have anything to do with the CB, supporting this team, this panel, means that they are supporting the CB.

I know a few of the Sars lads on the new panel, and they are dying, they thought they were fit, but really, they're not.
The Cork team this year are going to be behind every county in everything and they will have absolutely no leader what so ever on the pitch.

It'll be interesting to see what the support for the senior players is now, and what it is later in the season.

But with all due to respect to the Cork team now, who were back training on New Years, with respect to those lads but they are if you look at the players now, they are the Cork senior D team, that many players have refused to play because of the CB that they are our fourth string team, thats what they and that's what they will be when they play in the leauge not to mention the championship. Cork hurling has a super power could well be finished for now, ya there are some handy players in there, and ya they could surprise us all and who knows, there could be the next Deane, Ben/Jerry O Connor, Sean Og..etc in there. Wierder things have hapened. But as it stands, the CB, the CB that is supposed to be working for the players, to help them. Instead it has driven 3 sets of teams away, thats about 50/60 players!! A great job our CB is doing.

the Deel Rover

Reillers Just wondering what the ex senior cork players views are on the lads that are now training with Cork and Gerald McCarthy ? Would you think they see the newcomers are crossing the "picket line" or would they view them as just pieces in a game of chess. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

anglocelt39

I think it might focus rebel minds a bit of the GAA were to kick them out of the league if they fail to fulfil any of their NHL fixtures because of this shitehawk carry on. Ditto the Championship if it comes to that. Other counties have their issues but don't see fit to inconvenience the rest of the country with them so F@@#k this whole shower of prima donnas.

Other than that, no strong feelings on an issue I've heard far too much about. Happy new year all
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

Oh they'll have a team there all right but the question is what team.

Other counties, in other counties if the results are as bad and the manager who didn't want the job in the first place, who told the players that he wasn't going to go for it again, has lost the dressing the faith of the players, when he's not doing his job, it is the manager who is gotten rid of, not the players....oh but in Cork.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Reillers on January 03, 2009, 06:52:42 PM

Well at least that's some progress and a bit more manners from Cork than was shown last year when ye couldn't be arsed to play in the first round or two of the league and rendered the year end relegation situation more than a bit of a farce. Suggest that if your hurling heroes are looking for support among fellow players they won't be looking too hard over Wexford way for instance.

Other counties, in other counties if the results are as bad and the manager who didn't want the job in the first place, who told the players that he wasn't going to go for it again, has lost the dressing the faith of the players, when he's not doing his job, it is the manager who is gotten rid of, not the players....oh but in Cork.

Sean Og's script writer by any chance?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

heffo

Are you not in favour of McCarthy staying on so?

zoyler

AsI understand it the County Convention came up with a formula of 2-2-2 group to try and break the impass but this was not good enough for the senior player group.  As the County Convention is made up of the democraticly nominated reps of the clubs are the olayers now putting themselves above the representatives of ALL the clubs in Cork.  If so what notions of themselves they now have. They now appear to regard themselves as above everyone else in Cork GAA.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2009, 12:18:52 PM

McCarthy should never have gotten the job in the first place, never mind be reappointed. But like in every other sport, every other country, every other county, every other team, when a manager has had bad results, when they've lost the faith of the players, when he's lost the backing of the players, when the dressing room is lost, it's the manager who's gotten rid of. FACT.
But in Cork, no, no of course not.

Its a disgrace to say that a guy who has lost 30 players is still in the job, a job he didn't want in the first place.

The CCB have mishandled the situation from the beginning, the players and Gerald haven't acted in the wisest manners at times, but for Cork hurling to succeed the CB needs to be brought into this century.

McCarthy should never have gotten reappointed, but I would rather not see him get sacked from it now, I'd rather see him walk away, if he got sacked it would just be confirming what we all know, that the CB did this, all of this to get rid of the players and that they could have and should have done it months ago. McCarthy is a legend of a player, and I'd rather he'd see himself that it's time to leave.

In the Examiner yesteday it said that basically, can't remember the direct quote, but this is from Rebel GAA so I'll just take it from that post until I find the Examiner lol..
that.."After the 2008 season ended, McCarthy told one senior player that he would only be back as manager if the players wanted him back. Following the All Ireland semi final defeat by Kilkenny, one of McCarthy's backroom team told players that he had advised the manager not to go forward for 2009: two discussions which informed the player reps' approach to the reappointments process."
I don't know if it's the direct quote but it's the jist of it.

Or apparently so.

Reillers

Quote from: zoyler on January 04, 2009, 01:06:35 PM
AsI understand it the County Convention came up with a formula of 2-2-2 group to try and break the impass but this was not good enough for the senior player group.  As the County Convention is made up of the democraticly nominated reps of the clubs are the olayers now putting themselves above the representatives of ALL the clubs in Cork.  If so what notions of themselves they now have. They now appear to regard themselves as above everyone else in Cork GAA.

No, it's was the 4v2 that was suggested. No 2-2-2 was ever suggested at any time. Where the hell did you get that from.

Tatler Jack

QuoteNo, it's was the 4v2 that was suggested. No 2-2-2 was ever suggested at any time. Where the hell did you get that from.

Mu understanding was that it was 2 from each of the 3 sides. At least when I heard the proposal that is what I thought was involved. Also my understadning was that the proposal was made as a way to get people taliking - even if it was to establish a further forum and structure to sort the issue out. Cannot understand why the players are not prepared to enter into some form of discussions - it is not binding arbitration.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on January 04, 2009, 02:17:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2009, 12:18:52 PM

McCarthy should never have gotten the job in the first place, never mind be reappointed. But like in every other sport, every other country, every other county, every other team, when a manager has had bad results, when they've lost the faith of the players, when he's lost the backing of the players, when the dressing room is lost, it's the manager who's gotten rid of. FACT.
But in Cork, no, no of course not.

Its a disgrace to say that a guy who has lost 30 players is still in the job, a job he didn't want in the first place.

The CCB have mishandled the situation from the beginning, the players and Gerald haven't acted in the wisest manners at times, but for Cork hurling to succeed the CB needs to be brought into this century.

McCarthy should never have gotten reappointed, but I would rather not see him get sacked from it now, I'd rather see him walk away, if he got sacked it would just be confirming what we all know, that the CB did this, all of this to get rid of the players and that they could have and should have done it months ago. McCarthy is a legend of a player, and I'd rather he'd see himself that it's time to leave.

In the Examiner yesteday it said that basically, can't remember the direct quote, but this is from Rebel GAA so I'll just take it from that post until I find the Examiner lol..
that.."After the 2008 season ended, McCarthy told one senior player that he would only be back as manager if the players wanted him back. Following the All Ireland semi final defeat by Kilkenny, one of McCarthy's backroom team told players that he had advised the manager not to go forward for 2009: two discussions which informed the player reps' approach to the reappointments process."
I don't know if it's the direct quote but it's the jist of it.

Or apparently so.

So you reckon the CCB are at fault and McCarthy should step down?