McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

Quote from: orangeman on December 15, 2008, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: stevetharlear on December 15, 2008, 01:10:11 AM
Quote from: orangeman on December 15, 2008, 12:14:01 AM

There you again - the players will NEVER play for Mc Carthy - Now I believe that they they're right ! They're 100% right - cos they've now dug themselves into such a hge hole that they can NEVER get out of it.

And running around posing in a new set of Adidas kit ?? Who do they think they are ? Training every Saturday ?? What for ???

Their heads are so far up their holes now, it's no surprise really that they have and continue to make idiots of themselves.

Nobody is listening to them anymore - nobody is talking about them anymore. They've become a national embaraasment and I don't say that easily.

I don;t know who is driving the strike, whether it's Gardiner or whoever, but the more the players up the ante, the more Mc Carthy will dig his heels in. Human nature.

Both sides seem hell bent on wrecking any reasonable chance of success for Cork in the near future.

Personally I think the players are taking the wrong advice. Instead of offering an olive branch, they're shaking a blackthorn stick. And Mc Carthy who never shirked a challenge in his life, isn't about to begin to now.

Sound orangeman, I'm sure the players care about what a Tyrone man thinks about them. the only people that should really be on the lads minds are the Cork supporters, and the fact that the whole lot of them are out training on a Sunday morning says a lot, they know they have support for their cause.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, if you're not a Corkman then it doesn't really matter how many posts you have on the subject, your opinion is useless to Cork folk. You may think it's all to do with Donal Og (the divil) but it ain't. You may think it's about player power, but it ain't. What it's about is an all-powerful county board trying to rid itself of a bunch of men who've had the balls to stand up and ask the awkward questions of the board.

You'll never understand this, and I'd normally be beating my head against a wall trying to explain it to your likes, but I come back to the point, it doesn't matter a jot what you think.

you're 100% right 

Isn't that all part of being from the peoples republic?

stevetharlear

The public want to see Cork playing hurling and gearing up for next year. They certainly turn off when they see them running round Mallow, sporting a Third Force Beret and shorts, shouting "NEVER,NEVER,NEVER!".

Lol, you paint quite a picture.

orangeman

Quote from: stevetharlear on December 15, 2008, 10:08:57 AM

The public want to see Cork playing hurling and gearing up for next year. They certainly turn off when they see them running round Mallow, sporting a Third Force Beret and shorts, shouting "NEVER,NEVER,NEVER!".

Lol, you paint quite a picture.

It does conjure up quite an image - I think they'd have to have a hockey sick in their hand instead of a hurl !  ;) ;)

On a serious note, Steve, this thing about NEVER playing for Mc Carthy again - do you yourself not feel that it gives the players no room to negotiate ?. The players have I feel, purely from a negotatiing point of view, have backed themselves into a very tight corner. Surely they should as I said before, have offered an olive branch, instead of waving a big blackthorn ?.

I know the players gave genuine grievances but you have to be able to compromise - the CB lost last year by having to let Teddy Holland go but the players won't win this one ( by insisting that Mc Carthy has to go ).

Reillers

Look, I don't know.
Whatever perceived wrongs that have been done, the players are trying to put right, the fact is they are going about it really badly.  The media and the general public who love nothing more to see Cork in the ground are loving every minute of it. The players have made nothing more then a massive liathroidi out of the media battle. But they had lost it from day one, if we're honest they used up most of the publics sympathy from last year when they took the sacrifiice of going ouit in sympathy strike with the footballers, knowing full well that they had more to loose. They lost the media battle from day one because all the happyclappy journos out there see when they look at them are words like player power, arrogant, wanting to run things themselves..etc. and a lot the public see the same. While it's not the case, they don't want to run the show, it's not about player power, they are right in what they are doing, they are just doing it extremley bad, and they've got a lot of people's backs up. but at the end of the day they really, REALLY don't care what anyone else thinks. In their mind they are doing what is best for Cork hurling, so they really don't give to shits about what someone like a Dublin journo has to same about them.

Have they dug themselves into a corner, yes, unbelievably so. Will they get out of it, I don't know.

At times I don't know what they hope to achieve by continuing their stay-out protest because it seems just like a battle of who has the thickest heels, but I'm not certain that even they themselves know what they hope to achieve either. We'll have to wait and see.

I know they think they are right in what they are doing, 100%,
I know I think they are right in what they are doing.
But they really have made a botched job of it and left themselves with very little room to manoveur, a situation that I can't seem them getting out of, but how many times has that been true on the field, when this team have had their backs pined to the wall and told there's no way out..how many times have they stopped and manage to come out on top..I think we all know the answer to that.

Reillers

The spawn of satin..sorry..Frank Murphy was on the radio yesterday. And he, without a doubt, spoke the biggest load of bull sh*t iv ever heard.

Oh we were so unlucky against Tipp..bull we were stupid, but that was purely down to McCarthy's stupid change of tactics and players..did he mention that, of course not.

We met Kilkenny on a bad day..oh ya forgot about that, the we were unlucky not to beat them bullshit..LUCK had nothing to do with it, wait no, we were unlucky not to get beaten by more..yet he can get away with this.

a few more if and buts..we could havae won the minors,KK had a bad minor team and lucky to win the AI..true we should have won the AI, and would have if we didn't have pathetic (at best) underrage structures set up by yours truely.

And of course our U21 team, they should have won the AI as well, but had to play three days after our seniors..excuse ready made for that one..reasons why we lost was because of, again, the pathetic set up.

How could anyone, no matter who they are, take positives out of Cork's hurling season 2008..oh but of course Frank did last night.
Just when you think he can't reach another level of bullshitting he jumps right on it.

AZOffaly

The Spawn of Satin? Class :D

Most wrongdoers would claim to be the spawn of Satan, but Frank has to be different.

Anyway lads, I can't believe ye are still at this. Have a moratorium over Christmas, and see what happens in January. That's when the rubber will hit the road.

cicfada

There is an image out there of the players being militant and uncompromising! It would help their case if they would meet with the co board or at the very least stop the  stonewalling! I mean after listening to the attempts made by the PRO of the board to contact the players and the response of the players it's hard to come to another conclusion! Bob Ryan and John Gardiner met on the 28th of November, and agreed to set up a process of contact, then Ga texted Bob to set up a meeting a few days afterwards. It was Mon the 8th before contact was made again at which time Ga told Bob that the players were meeting on the 9th to see if they would meet the board! Ga then told Bob on the 10th that they players were divided as to whether to meet the board or not! Since then there has been no contact between Ga and Bob! Meanwhile and  no dates were given for this...Diarmid O' Sullivan's father Jerry spoke to Donal Og who said he would get back to him about meeting the board and when he did Og said the players would not meet the board with Gerald Mc Carthy  in situ! A lot of delegates were giving out ot the board demanding action to end the dispute while others were saying to go on ahead without them! Eventually the incoming president was given the task of finding someone neutral acceptable to 2 each  from the players, board and management in order to being about a solution! That passed 121 to 50, which means that around 100 -150 delegates didn't even vote on it! I am not too  sure if it will work to be honest, the amount of time that would take is huge with the players not wanting any contact seemingly with Mc Carthy at all! Hard to see a solution, I guess the players are counting on the new Cork team to get hammered in the league and the wait for the public opinion to swing their way! sad to see them on the Echo on Saturday wearing the Adidas gear (  a new sponsorship deal ) in Mallow.   I suppose trying to look relevant on the day of the convention and giving the board a reminder! Tis no wonder other counties are laughing on!

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 15, 2008, 10:53:51 AM
Look, I don't know.
Whatever perceived wrongs that have been done, the players are trying to put right, the fact is they are going about it really badly.  The media and the general public who love nothing more to see Cork in the ground are loving every minute of it. The players have made nothing more then a massive liathroidi out of the media battle. But they had lost it from day one, if we're honest they used up most of the publics sympathy from last year when they took the sacrifiice of going ouit in sympathy strike with the footballers, knowing full well that they had more to loose. They lost the media battle from day one because all the happyclappy journos out there see when they look at them are words like player power, arrogant, wanting to run things themselves..etc. and a lot the public see the same. While it's not the case, they don't want to run the show, it's not about player power, they are right in what they are doing, they are just doing it extremley bad, and they've got a lot of people's backs up. but at the end of the day they really, REALLY don't care what anyone else thinks. In their mind they are doing what is best for Cork hurling, so they really don't give to shits about what someone like a Dublin journo has to same about them.

Have they dug themselves into a corner, yes, unbelievably so. Will they get out of it, I don't know.

At times I don't know what they hope to achieve by continuing their stay-out protest because it seems just like a battle of who has the thickest heels, but I'm not certain that even they themselves know what they hope to achieve either. We'll have to wait and see.

I know they think they are right in what they are doing, 100%,
I know I think they are right in what they are doing.
But they really have made a botched job of it and left themselves with very little room to manoveur, a situation that I can't seem them getting out of, but how many times has that been true on the field, when this team have had their backs pined to the wall and told there's no way out..how many times have they stopped and manage to come out on top..I think we all know the answer to that.

I think you're 100% right there - both sides have adopted depply entrenched positions and it's going to be an uphill struggle for the players cos they've lost the early rounds.

I think the players have lost direction a bit, hoping that soething positive would have happened before now - but the longet it goes on , the harder it will be to broker a solution.

The general public are mostly past caring now. For the players to win even a moral victory, they needed public sympathy but they lost that the minute they stepped into the ring and the announcer shouted out "Let's get ready to rumble AGAIN !".

passedit

Quote from: theskull1 on December 15, 2008, 01:51:19 AM
Quote from: stevetharlear on December 15, 2008, 01:31:49 AM
But skull, and I'm reluctant to engage you in any arguement, me being a newbie and all...

do you think Gerald was reappointed with the best interests of the squad at heart?

Or do you think it was a power play from the CB?

Simple questions requiring an honest answer.

Aww steve don't take that to heart. You weighed in from nowhere, an angry voice, abusively attacking the likes of GMcC. It doesn't go down well. You sounded like an angry young man which you are. I did not insult you

I don't understand the question? Best interests of the squad? If you asked me was gerards reappointment in the best interests of Cork hurling then my answer to you would be yes I do. The players have got so far ahead of themselves that no manager bar a complete yes man could look after them and not expect to be ridiculed if they were defeated. It is obvious to me that the CCB and GMcC are recliaming positions of power that have served the GAA accross the country and are showing that they will not put up with such overly opinionated arrogance. Its just not a GAA trait. I support them in doing so.

So yes it was a power play from the CB

You can see what's happening and still agree with it? I'll give a fools pardon to others here on the subject.  So you agree that people like Frank Murphy are good for the game? Sorry, I had you down as a hurling man.
Don't Panic

theskull1

Yes I still agree with them (if that is what they have done...only my opinion). And I am a hurling man. I simply have no time for players with such a militant arrogant attitude. These are not GAA traits. They have to show some respect for the chain of command. Remember the GAA is a cultural as well as a sporting orginisation. As an orginisation we do not want the players acting is such ways? Do we?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Quote from: theskull1 on December 15, 2008, 03:06:54 PM
Yes I still agree with them (if that is what they have done...only my opinion). And I am a hurling man. I simply have no time for players with such a militant arrogant attitude. These are not GAA traits. They have to show some respect for the chain of command. Remember the GAA is a cultural as well as a sporting orginisation. As an orginisation we do not want the players acting is such ways? Do we?

Lie Down Croppy?

I'm against militant Player power, but at the same time I'm pretty sure at this stage that the actions of the CB have less to do with advancing Cork hurling, and more to do with putting manners on what they see as a bunch of upstarts threatening the CB's power in Cork.

passedit

So, to be clear here, in you opinion the players are wrong now,were wrong in 2002 and are getting their their well deserved comeuppance?

And we should always obey our superiors like sheep?

Don't Panic

orangeman

Cicfada said this a few posts ago -

There is an image out there of the players being militant and uncompromising.

He's right - the players docome across as being ultra militant.

The players "won" in 2002 and 2007.

It may be a case of the CB trying to put manners in them. But the Cork players seem to thrive on engaging the CB.

I think they've overstepped the mark this time and Mc Carthy isn't for turning.

The players have every right to air their grievances and after last year's debacle there were to be no more strikes - Less than a year later, they're on strike.

theskull1

I didn't say they should obey like sheep. But they need to show respect to the administrators and mentors, something they seem incapable of doing. Once you show someone you respect him then you have more chance of negotiating agreed change and all parties have a chamce to come out with their reputations intact. The CCB have obviously had enough of this after last season and feel that GMcC never had a chance trying to motivate such malcontents and deserved a chance with players who want to play for him. They are going back to basics and they are wise enough to know that as important as it is, it is not ALL about winning AI's. Very important lessons need to be learned by the players.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

passedit

Quote from: passedit on December 15, 2008, 03:29:24 PM
So, to be clear here, in you opinion the players are wrong now,were wrong in 2002 and are getting their their well deserved comeuppance?

And we should always obey our superiors like sheep?

Skull I'm not sure you answered my question, particularly interested in the bit in bold.

Don't Panic