McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Oh right, an Ulster dominated GAA board is reflective of what is the opinion of the Cork GAA public? There is also a poll on rebelgaa with over 2000 votes and 54% support the players, I'll leave it up to each person to decide which poll might be more reflective of Cork GAA opinion.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 14, 2008, 07:35:30 PM
Oh right, an Ulster dominated GAA board is reflective of what is the opinion of the Cork GAA public? There is also a poll on rebelgaa with over 2000 votes and 54% support the players, I'll leave it up to each person to decide which poll might be more reflective of Cork GAA opinion.

I told you that you wouldn't agree with it - all the players must be on rebelgaa then !  ;)

What's Ulster got to do with it ?

What does where you're from have anything to do with it ?

Zulu

Ulster or where you're from has nothing to do with anything, but you said the 'general Cork public' supported Gerald and the CCB and then referred to a poll on this site as evidence for that statement. And that is clearly rubbish the opinion of the vast majority of people on this site isn't in any way reflective of Cork GAA, why? because very few around here are from Cork. Whereas the poll on rebelgaa is reflective of the views of Cork people only, so therefore you can exprapolate that it might reflect the opinion of the wider Cork GAA community.

theskull1

Wouldn't hold much credance for internet polls (either of them) .........the young demographic and all that.

The GAA needs administrators and mentors lads and they do not grow on trees. Mentors especially cannot be, by definition mentors to players with an overly arrogant militant attitude. The CCB have to show their still they are the alpha males under such circumstances. I do think that positive affects will come about if only the striking players would come out of the hole they've dug themselves into but they seem hell bent on war without any consideration for an exit strategy. Surely they must soften their position if they truely have more than their own interests in mind.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

realrebel

zulu
that poll on rebelgaa was in favour of gerald by 57% to 43%
then all of a sudden in the space of a few hours it turned out the other way
dont u find that strange there must have been hundreds of votes in that space of time
we raised it on the site and then all of a sudden the votes stopped

Zulu

I would put little stock into any poll myself but the reason I brought it up was to highlight how divided opinion in Cork is. Skull until someone can explain to me how the CB reappointed Gerald with all the facts that were on the table, I feel nobody should play hurling for Cork. It looks to me that the CCB were motivated not by what is best for Cork but by point scoring with the players.

orangeman

The big problem that the players have is that from day one, they said that they wolud NEVER play for Mc Carthy - this left them nowhere to go as soon as Mc Carthy said he was for staying.

They had no exit strategy which was too strong a position to adopt at an early stage.

Zulu

They believe that Gerald is not up to it, they told the CB this and they told the CB they couldn't work with him, yet the CB still appointed him. So the players had no choice but to say sorry but we can't play for this guy, end of. Nobody on the CB side of this debate has yet to give us a reasonable explaination for why they reappointed McCarthy, until they do I don't see how they cannot support the players on this one.

orangeman

Why did the players reps not put forward their own preferred candidate at the meetings ?.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on December 14, 2008, 11:36:23 PM
Why did the players reps not put forward their own preferred candidate at the meetings ?.

They did, Sean Og did when he went instead of Ga. But no, no more lies from the Cb.

Reillers

Bullish Gardiner stresses Rebels' resolve
by Brian Murphy , 14 December 2008

John Gardiner, the Cork captain, has denied that there are any fissures in the resolve of the Rebels' rowing hurlers, whom he says are adamant that they will never play under manager Gerald McCarthy.

Rumours emanating from Leeside suggested that some of the 30 panel members who are refusing to play under McCarthy had lost the stomach for the battle and were considering some form compromise to return to the Cork colours.

However, Gardiner, who was speaking at a players' work-out in Mallow on Saturday, says the panel is united in its determination to continue their dispute as long as McCarthy remains in charge.

The players were sporting a new set of training gear sponsored by Adidas in Mallow, where Gardiner delivered another rousing call to arms, denying any hint of disunity in the ranks. 

"Absolutely not, we are delighted to have secured this deal with Adidas who have recognised our input over the last number of years and we are doing so, going forward as a united front," said the Cork captain.

"There are 30 of us in this and we are all one and anything you hear to the contrary is just rumour and nothing else.

"All we want to do is play hurling and hopefully we will get to do it sooner rather than later.

"We are keeping ourselves in shape here in Mallow every Saturday and we hope to increase the sessions at the start of the New Year."

Gardiner again reiterated the players' long-standing refusal to play for McCarthy, who has assembled his own panel of young players for the season-opening Waterford Crystal competition.

"No, the situation is unchanged. We have outlined our stance and that remains, we won't play under his management," Gardiner added.

"We are standing by that decision and we are standing by that decision as one."

This was on the Echo Friday I think, it'd a picture of all the senior lads in THEIR NEW Adidas gear, that they are sponsered by. Almost didn't recognize them for a second.

Zulu

First can you explain why the CCB wanted to reappoint Gerald, second can you explain why they didn't have any other names other than Gerald? I think there was 8 in for the Galway job, 4 in for the Limerick job, a good number in for the Meath and Donegal jobs, so surely the Cork job would have had a good few candidates.

I don't know why the Cork players didn't have a list of suitable candidates but I'd like to know why the CB didn't either, it would seem to me to be good practice to have a number of names on the table for debate if nothing else.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2008, 12:00:17 AM

First can you explain why the CCB wanted to reappoint Gerald, second can you explain why they didn't have any other names other than Gerald? I think there was 8 in for the Galway job, 4 in for the Limerick job, a good number in for the Meath and Donegal jobs, so surely the Cork job would have had a good few candidates.

I don't know why the Cork players didn't have a list of suitable candidates but I'd like to know why the CB didn't either, it would seem to me to be good practice to have a number of names on the table for debate if nothing else.

In a load of counties, there was only one in for the job  - that's not unusual - let's face it - who the hell wants the Cork job ?? It used to be the manager could walk away if he wasn't happy - now the players are doing it.

So I don't think the CB would have been inundated with applications.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 14, 2008, 11:42:32 PM

Bullish Gardiner stresses Rebels' resolve
by Brian Murphy , 14 December 2008

John Gardiner, the Cork captain, has denied that there are any fissures in the resolve of the Rebels' rowing hurlers, whom he says are adamant that they will never play under manager Gerald McCarthy.

Rumours emanating from Leeside suggested that some of the 30 panel members who are refusing to play under McCarthy had lost the stomach for the battle and were considering some form compromise to return to the Cork colours.

However, Gardiner, who was speaking at a players' work-out in Mallow on Saturday, says the panel is united in its determination to continue their dispute as long as McCarthy remains in charge.

The players were sporting a new set of training gear sponsored by Adidas in Mallow, where Gardiner delivered another rousing call to arms, denying any hint of disunity in the ranks. 

"Absolutely not, we are delighted to have secured this deal with Adidas who have recognised our input over the last number of years and we are doing so, going forward as a united front," said the Cork captain.

"There are 30 of us in this and we are all one and anything you hear to the contrary is just rumour and nothing else.

"All we want to do is play hurling and hopefully we will get to do it sooner rather than later.

"We are keeping ourselves in shape here in Mallow every Saturday and we hope to increase the sessions at the start of the New Year."

Gardiner again reiterated the players' long-standing refusal to play for McCarthy, who has assembled his own panel of young players for the season-opening Waterford Crystal competition.

"No, the situation is unchanged. We have outlined our stance and that remains, we won't play under his management," Gardiner added.

"We are standing by that decision and we are standing by that decision as one."

This was on the Echo Friday I think, it'd a picture of all the senior lads in THEIR NEW Adidas gear, that they are sponsered by. Almost didn't recognize them for a second.

There you again - the players will NEVER play for Mc Carthy - Now I believe that they they're right ! They're 100% right - cos they've now dug themselves into such a hge hole that they can NEVER get out of it.

And running around posing in a new set of Adidas kit ?? Who do they think they are ? Training every Saturday ?? What for ???

Their heads are so far up their holes now, it's no surprise really that they have and continue to make idiots of themselves.

Nobody is listening to them anymore - nobody is talking about them anymore. They've become a national embaraasment and I don't say that easily.

I don;t know who is driving the strike, whether it's Gardiner or whoever, but the more the players up the ante, the more Mc Carthy will dig his heels in. Human nature.

Both sides seem hell bent on wrecking any reasonable chance of success for Cork in the near future.

Personally I think the players are taking the wrong advice. Instead of offering an olive branch, they're shaking a blackthorn stick. And Mc Carthy who never shirked a challenge in his life, isn't about to begin to now.

theskull1

Just dawned on me that these weekly sessions as well as keeping the media spotlight on the strike, it's also a great way for the main protagonists to maintain control of the group. Is there any chance that the younger lads are being used by others with much more to lose?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera