McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 10, 2008, 11:03:22 PM
Reillers you are really letting your anger get in the way of logical and rational argument. First Gerald's statement came after Ben's interview - he was not on local radio before that (I live in Cork). Then you say you respect Gerald and then you say "He hasn't changed, he's the same man as he was a player, and that's clear. Sneaky, sly, stuborn and he'll fight his corner, even when he shouldn't, whem he should stop"  What an insult to man who  I saw hime playing as far back as 66 and sneaky or sly I would not call him  - did you see him play?  And if he was so bad as a coach why did the players just not walk away before now. The fact is that tsome of the  players did not want him from the outset and already had their minds made up. For what its worth he would not have been my choice as coach but equally I feel he did not get co-operation from some of the players who were also disloyal in going to the media with stories.

He was a sneaky player, a very clever one at that, and stubborn as hell, he wouldn't take no for an answer. He'd fight to the very end..are you saying he wasn't??

They never wanted him as manager from the start, he never wanted the job. Yet that's how it ended up. They made a go of it. They gave him a chance, the players gave it their all under him but they never really got on. Gerald didn't exactly make it easier for them either.
They gave him the 2 years, they gave it a go, they gave it their all, but they needed a facilitator to smooth the tensions this season. No one thought that he'd be reappointed, but he was.
THe players did what exactly in the media, say training was crap..whatever way you put it, it was the truth, say that he didn't know what clubs players played for, who certain players were..etc.
All the truth..etc.
Nothing personal there, Gerald though, he made it personal, he drew the line in the sand and bungee jumped over it when he leaked the document.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on December 10, 2008, 11:25:38 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 10, 2008, 10:22:06 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 10, 2008, 09:52:32 PM
QuoteHe broke whatever chance was left of reconciliation and he did it blatantly, he didn't try to hide it, everyone knew he did it. He is one of the reasons why things have gotten this bad. His cry to the media was damaging to say the least.

Reillers. You  say tactfully that "the players lost the media campaign" and then explicitly state that "GMcC is one of the reasons why things have gotten this bad."

Would you not say the players lost the media campaign because of their personal attacks on GMcC and that GMcC reacted accordingly in a way which offended the players? It is because of the personalisation in the arguments that things have gotten so bad? Is that not a fairer position to take?

I have a lot of respect for Gerald as a past great.
But, he started the media fight, every single time he talked to the media, there was one week that he was on the radio nearly every time I turned it on, on a daily basis. He made it personal, he made it bitchy.
The players didn't attack him in the media, they made a passive comment that his training wasn't good. They didn't like it and it wasn't up to their normal that they are used to.
He made it personal, he acted first. He spent about a week whinging to the media before the players said a word. He started it, the media fight that is.
Not only that but he also leaked the confidential document that was done by the players, at the request of the players to try and clear the air between them after the Tipp game, it was leaked by McCarthy (it couldn't have been anyone else but him) purely to make the players look two faced. That ended any chance of the players going back. That destroyed what little trust they had left in him.
He comes across a gent and a guy who wouldn't look at you twice, who wouldn't hurt a fly. But he never had much respect for what the players had to say. He lied to them on several occasions, he didn't want the job but was pretty much forced to take the job and the players and Gerald didn't get on and a lot of that was to do with Gerald not following through in what he said he'd do, what he promised would happen.
He comes across so innocently in all of this, the poor victim he is just as responsible as anyone else in this. All the players want to do is play the game, Gerald's feelings were hurt when the players said his training was crap (anyone who watched it for 10 mins could have told you the same thing.) so he wants to get even. He told the players he was leaving, before he was reappointed, then suddenly when the players make noises about it, he's hell bent on keeping it, suddenly he's got a grand plan for Cork future, which is bull to say the least.
He has used about ever resource he has to get the sympathy vote in this, he is not as innocent as he seems, he's not a shy quiet man, he's exactly the same person as a type of hurler he was..sneaky, sly, stubborn..etc.
Saying training with Gerald is crap, isn't personal, it's the truth and like I said anyone who has seen them train knows that. Gerald made it personal and at times bitchy and childish.
He's a legend, who's fooled a lot of people. But he is not innocent in this whole thing, not even close, but he's got people believing otherwise. He is responsible to why it has gotten so messy in the press. It's his fault.

A passive comment ???

Are you serious ?

How did Gardiner get on Primetime ?? Why did he go on Primetime ? Ill advised to say the least.

That was the beginning of the end for the players and their fight to win the sympathy of the public. After Primetime, it was all over.
About 4 weeks into the argument.
It was all over after the document was leaked, I'm pretty sure he even said that. Ye don't realise how much it pissed off and hurt the players. It was long over before prime time, and why is it when the players retaliate in the media to lies, sorry to what Gerald says, it's lies, it's sympathy votes, but when Gerald clearly bullshits in the media, and is on for nearly a week straight on different radio stations looking for sympathy, it's ok, you want to hear sympathy votes, listen to them. When Gaa was on Prime Time it was a case of setting the record straight. Getting their story out there. The one thing that hadn't been said. Till then their story hadn't been told, not really. Gerald had told his 100 times over at this stage.

Look I'm coming across that I don't like Gerald, I do. He was a fantastic Cork player, a legend. But he is the wrong man for the job and he is not as innocent as people think he is, not even close.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

How do you describe such vitriolic comments as being "passive" ??

the Deel Rover

haven't commented much on this thread but have been keeping an eye on it just wondering reillers in your honest opinion what do you think will happen now.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

INDIANA

I think your personal comments on Mc Carthy are a disgrace Reillers. The players took his training methods apart with Kieran Shannon in the media. Passive my arse. Read back through the thread and you'll see the article. There are ways of settling differences, both players and management should have realised at this stage, through the media isn't one of them.
I heard the younger players are going to go back. The likely scenario is even with them on board it will be a fruitless year. Mc Carthy will step down but I doubt any new manger will invite the older players back. Sad way for it to end.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on December 11, 2008, 11:04:42 AM
I think your personal comments on Mc Carthy are a disgrace Reillers. The players took his training methods apart with Kieran Shannon in the media. Passive my arse. Read back through the thread and you'll see the article. There are ways of settling differences, both players and management should have realised at this stage, through the media isn't one of them.
I heard the younger players are going to go back. The likely scenario is even with them on board it will be a fruitless year. Mc Carthy will step down but I doubt any new manger will invite the older players back. Sad way for it to end.

An awful shame for both Mc Carthy and the older players who have given so much of their lives to Cork hurling - but when you play with fire, you can get burnt.

Reillers

Aodhan Mcgearailt, Martin Mcsweeney and Mike Mcgurn have been named as fitness coaches. Not a bad team, McGurn has worked with the Irish rugby team before. Not a bad line up at all.

Pity about the rest of it.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 13, 2008, 11:38:29 AM
Aodhan Mcgearailt, Martin Mcsweeney and Mike Mcgurn have been named as fitness coaches. Not a bad team, McGurn has worked with the Irish rugby team before. Not a bad line up at all.

Cork have pulled out all the stops in getting Mc Gurn - that's a massive signing - things have changed already.

The players are starting to look a bit silly at this stage. Management have acquired a lot of browny points with these signings.

It's time they went back or retired. There's no in between.

stevetharlear

Quote from: orangeman on December 13, 2008, 12:41:44 PM

Cork have pulled out all the stops in getting Mc Gurn - that's a massive signing - things have changed already.

The players are starting to look a bit silly at this stage. Management have acquired a lot of browny points[\b] with these signings.

A PR stunt and nothing else. How, all of a sudden are the Cork Co. Board/ Ger Mac interested in having the best for the senior hurlers?

Can you not see a contradiction in on one hand splashing out on the likes of McGurn, and on the other hand reappointing the clown Gerald?

The circus rolls on.

orangeman

Quote from: stevetharlear on December 13, 2008, 02:18:42 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 13, 2008, 12:41:44 PM

The players are starting to look a bit silly at this stage. Management have acquired a lot of browny points[\b] with these signings.

A PR stunt and nothing else. How, all of a sudden are the Cork Co. Board/ Ger Mac interested in having the best for the senior hurlers?

Can you not see a contradiction in on one hand splashing out on the likes of McGurn, and on the other hand reappointing the clown Gerald?

The circus rolls on.

No PR stunt - Mc Gurn has a big reputation and he's not going to get inovlved in a simple PR stunt.

The way I see it, the players have made a statement - they're not happy - the Board and Mc Carthy have listened and reacted positively.

The striking players are now on the backfoot.

They haven't many options now - the management backroom team has been bolstered by a fantastic team.

The striking players can no go back or forget about hurling for this year at least. 

Zulu

Isn't McGurn the fitness coach for the Osprey rugby team, if so how can he possibly do the fitness work with Cork?

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2008, 02:35:53 PM
Isn't McGurn the fitness coach for the Osprey rugby team, if so how can he possibly do the fitness work with Cork?

These professional trainers have several different jobs.

I can't see this being a problem.

He's a huge signing however you look at it.

Zulu

No they don't, they might give a hand to team on a short term basis, like McGurn did for the Irish International rules squad but they don't have several different jobs on the go. My understanding of the situation is he is a full time employee of the Ospreys rugby club as their head conditioning coach, if that is the case I'd be surprised if he oversee's a training session all year. Sounds to me like very expensive window dressing.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2008, 03:11:47 PM
No they don't, they might give a hand to team on a short term basis, like McGurn did for the Irish International rules squad but they don't have several different jobs on the go. My understanding of the situation is he is a full time employee of the Ospreys rugby club as their head conditioning coach, if that is the case I'd be surprised if he oversee's a training session all year. Sounds to me like very expensive window dressing.

What benefit would it be to Mc Carthy to make a statement like that if it were not true ?

Surely they would be open to even further ridicule ?

I know trainers who have are with a couple of different teams, so it is possible.