McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

As divided as ever it seems. But maybe a small sign of the players starting to break ranks ??

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on December 09, 2008, 10:54:10 PM
ok reillers sound
but u say why go outside the county for a trainer
they havent he lives in ballygarvan and works in carraigaline so i dont see him as a outsider
just because he played for kerry in the past
so what i cant see anything wrong with it if he is good enough then why not

Ya, don't get me wrong. He's a PE teacher in Carrig. I think he'll have a postive impact on them. He's young, enthusiastic, and not affected at all by the bloody Cork politics. But I just think it's interesting that they don't go for a more obvious choice. Now it could be nothing or Gerald could not want old heads that no the ins and outs to do the job, or they might not want to..or it could be nothing. It's just an interesting choice.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on December 09, 2008, 11:51:19 PM
As divided as ever it seems. But maybe a small sign of the players starting to break ranks ??
I don't think so. I know that if players go back it will be with the other players approval..I'm not saying that they are only out because they're being told to, or need their approval, but the group is so tight that no one wants to "break ranks". (No matter what way I word that it comes out wrong.)
But it could get to the stage, (whispers again) where the older boys will tell the kids to go back if they wanted to (I'm not even sure they will want to after this).

AZOffaly

I heard runours that some of the players are considering going back alright. Is there any word on that Reillers?

By the way, is Gerald McCarthy's trial game not a clear contravention of the No Organised Sessions in December rule? Or has Cork been given special dispensation because of the trouble down there?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 10, 2008, 09:25:33 AM
I heard runours that some of the players are considering going back alright. Is there any word on that Reillers?

By the way, is Gerald McCarthy's trial game not a clear contravention of the No Organised Sessions in December rule? Or has Cork been given special dispensation because of the trouble down there?

You're allowed to have trial games are you not ???

AZOffaly

I would imagine a trial game is a collective session, unless there is some loophole, quelle surprise.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 10, 2008, 10:07:06 AM
I would imagine a trial game is a collective session, unless there is some loophole, quelle surprise.

Frank might have a view !  ;) ;) ;)

INDIANA

you can have trial games between people who aren't part of last years panel.

Silky

Fair play to McCarthy for ploughing ahead! He has balls of steel and deserves to succeed. Hopefully some of the players from this years panel will come to their senses and return before it's too late.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on December 10, 2008, 11:11:54 AM
you can have trial games between people who aren't part of last years panel.

I was thinking it might be something like that alright. Thanks Indiana.

orangeman

I'm hearing snippets that the feeling in the strikers' camp is that thwy should go back and do their talking from within. The players realise that the general public are fairly apathetic to the story now, the CCB and Gerald having won the media battle.

Any truth in this Reillers ?.

Has their position softened any ?.

theskull1

Personally I feel that the Gerald McCarthy can do no more than he has publically to to keep the door open for the players. I hope there is no more comments from him on the subject. Like wise from last years panel. Regardless of how principled and righteous the players thought they were, the militant position they took up will make it very difficult to heal divisions that could otherwise have been patched up IF they hadn't reacted in such a combative manner. I hope that things can be worked out, and that the returning players will commit "fully" when they come back.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on December 10, 2008, 01:21:32 PM
Personally I feel that the Gerald McCarthy can do no more than he has publically to to keep the door open for the players. I hope there is no more comments from him on the subject. Like wise from last years panel. Regardless of how principled and righteous the players thought they were, the militant position they took up will make it very difficult to heal divisions that could otherwise have been patched up IF they hadn't reacted in such a combative manner. I hope that things can be worked out, and that the returning players will commit "fully" when they come back.

I think the 2008 squad of players should go back but I just hope everyone involved are man enough to let bygones be bygones and not hold grudges about who said what and the likes.

No one is squeaky clean here and i think it should now be up to the clubs to drive changes in structures in terms of academies and the likes.

orangeman

I agree Johnny - I think they should go back, each side swallow their pride - put the past behind them and maybe Gerald will deliver results and the improvements to Cork's hurling infrastructure that he has spoken about.

Kerry Mike

I woke up this morning, as I do most mornings, but there seemed to be something wrong. The rain and the cold were gone, birds were singing and the sun was out.

Feck it but it looked like a spring morning, not the middle of miserable December and I was strangly in good form and I had no hangover either, I had a feeling it was going to be a good day. I threw a few rashers on and then realised I could not ate the hoors so fecked them in the bin. Fecking lumpy porridge again.

While having my oats and the cupan of tae and taking a quick sconce through the paper but missing the rasher sandwich, my thoughts wandered to another day in the office but soon drifted as they do to more serious things like the state of the GAA world and Kerry in particular.

I was thinking how lucky I have been to witness some of the great teams from the Kingdom and also some of their fantastic achievements over the last 125 years.
A Hurling title in 1891, a first football title in 1903 with another 34 added for good measure, two 4-in-a-rows, a few triples and doubles as well, including the recent great achievement of a first 2-in-a-row in nearly 20 years, The U21 had their medals tucked away, the Jack was back and the futute looks bright.

Proud moments and memories and a sense of pride in your place of birth, jaysus but could the day start off any better.

But what jumped up off de paper to greet my sleepy eyes brought first a smile, then laughter and then uncontrolable tears of joy. Could it really be so? I checked it wasnt the 1st of April and also that Christmas morning and Mr Claus and his band of merry reindeer had not arrived early.

Something was up.

Off I tottered to work with my Chest out and a grin on me smig. (I work in Langerland, not the TV show BTW, but the county) and shock hands with all the locals who I refer to as D'Langers , they call me D'Kerry bollix but yerra that's okay on a day like today.

"Is it true" I ask D'Langers who think they are in the know , the wans who for weeks have been taking the sides of the Rebel Hurlers , then turning against them and then supporting them again.

Is it true that there is going to be a KERRY TRAINER TO THE CORK HURLERS ?

There is a God and he has a sense of humour after all. Jaysus one of the last remaining sacred cows of the GAA world and the Langers come looking for a Kerryman to train their Hurlers. I can see us getting alot of milage out of this one. I wish Aodan well he will have a lot to put up with, in the prima donna former players, the county board and the politics that reside in Cork GAA.

The excuses are out already in Langerland, "What would a Kerry man know about hurling" to which I reply "yerra if he fails at the hurling he might make a few footballers out of them cause God know with only 6 All ireland they could do with a few".

Strange days indeed..........
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football