McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

No Household names,

McCarthy names inexperienced squad

Cork manager Gerald McCarthy
20 November 2008

Cork hurling boss Gerald McCarthy has announced an inexperienced squad for Sunday's challenge against a St. Colman's College selection which will mark the Fermoy nursery's 150th anniversary.

With none of this year's championship squad making themselves available for selection due to the ongoing dispute over his reappointment, McCarthy has been forced to look elsewhere and has assembled a 31-man panel which features players from 13 different clubs.

County champions Sarsfields are well represented, but few, if any, of the those included will be familiar to hurling followers outside Cork.

Despite suggestions that he would name a one-off panel for Sunday's challenge game, the Cork manager insists that all the players included will be given the opportunity to impress in the pre-season Waterford Crystal tournament and thereafter.

"This is very much a case of opportunity knocking for all the players that have been selected, and they will be given every chance over the next couple of months and in the Waterford Crystal Tournament to stake their claims for inclusion further down the line," he said.

"It is very much a development squad that we will be working with over the next couple of months and everybody chosen for Sunday will be given a fair chance over the next few months.

"We had a very good training session in Páirc Uí Rinn last night [Wednesday] and it went very well with a great attendance and it's all systems go now for Sunday."

Cork (SH v St Coleman's): Alan Kennedy [Sars]; Conor O'Sullivan [do], Chris Murphy [Blackrock], Alwyn Kearney [Midleton]; Joe Moran [Carrigaline], Steven White [Ballygarvan], Ger O'Driscoll [Newcestown]; Barry Johnston [Bride Rovers], Glenn O'Connor [St Finbarr's]; Darren Crowley [Bandon], Colin O'Leary [Blackrock], Cian McCarthy [Sars]; Conor Dorris [Glen], Michael Collins [Bride Rovers], Tadhg Óg Murphy [Sars].

Subs: C Cronin [lisgoold], A Ryan [Midleton], P Barry [do], G Norberg [Blackrock], B Aherne [do], E Keane [Barrs], R O'Driscoll [Sars], M Collins [Douglas], P Honohan [Bishopstown], E Cronin [Glen], B Moylan [do], R Ryan [Sars], S Corcoran [Carrigaline], W O'Brien [do], D O'Sullivan [Ballinascarthy], S Cotter [Catherine's].

heffo

Onwards and upwards for Cork hurling so - best wishes to the outgoing panel of 2008, thanks for the commitment.

Let's all get behind the new Cork panel.

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on November 21, 2008, 10:58:20 AM
Onwards and upwards for Cork hurling so - best wishes to the outgoing panel of 2008, thanks for the commitment.

I think there'll be a reconciliation - there's quite a few perks bring on the Cork senior hurling team which although not the most important thing, will weigh heavily in a decision to go back again.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on November 21, 2008, 11:40:58 AM

I think there'll be a reconciliation - there's quite a few perks bring on the Cork senior hurling team which although not the most important thing, will weigh heavily in a decision to go back again.

Especially if you're earning decent level six figure sums a year from commercial opportunities arising out of representing Cork..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on November 21, 2008, 11:58:06 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 21, 2008, 11:40:58 AM

Especially if you're earning decent level six figure sums a year from commercial opportunities arising out of representing Cork..
[/b]

A former Cork player's earning potential would be a whole lot less than a current star !

Zulu

What the hell are ye talking about? As far as I can make out yer just talking complete jibberish.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2008, 02:27:54 PM
What the hell are ye talking about? As far as I can make out yer just talking complete jibberish.

:D :D :D :D :D :D  typical response !

Croí na hÉireann

I thought u were "tired poating about this subject"???  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 21, 2008, 03:45:41 PM
I thought u were "tired poating about this subject"???  >:(

Great thread - fascinating the way it twists and turns - how do you foresee the outcome ?

Uladh

Orangeman - you are a complete moron and singlehandedly are responsible for a lot of the purile nonsense this forum has descended to.

Zulu

Give it up man for Christ sake. You have repeatedly been unable to justify your position and have consistently avoided answering questions or elaborating on your basic point. You have probably posted more on this thread than anyone else yet you haven't developed a supported opinion in all that time. Now you and heffo are suggesting that it's time to move on because Cork can field a team for a challenge match, Jesus wept! This is far from over, in fact it is only beginning and there will be many twists and turns yet. Your simplistic analysis has continuously ignored every nuance of this debate, that I'm afraid, is the only typical characteristic of this debate.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2008, 03:53:28 PM
Give it up man for Christ sake. You have repeatedly been unable to justify your position and have consistently avoided answering questions or elaborating on your basic point. You have probably posted more on this thread than anyone else yet you haven't developed a supported opinion in all that time. Now you and heffo are suggesting that it's time to move on because Cork can field a team for a challenge match, Jesus wept! This is far from over, in fact it is only beginning and there will be many twists and turns yet. Your simplistic analysis has continuously ignored every nuance of this debate, that I'm afraid, is the only typical characteristic of this debate.

Ok - coming from a player's perspective I'd expect the kind of response you've just so eloguently delivered - we're right and everybody else is wrong.

So what are you going to do now ??

Mass protest like last year ??

Turn the floodlights off whenever the new kids are training ?

Form a picket line and heckle those who pass it ?

Continue to intimidate the younger lads ??

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2008, 03:53:28 PM

It's regrettable that you don't agree with my opinion, but I don't believe the players actions were justified in the first place - you obviously do and that's fair enough.

I think the fact that there is a full panel togging out Sunday is a huge blow to the outgoing 2008 panel as there would've been a huge question mark in many people's minds over whether players would've crossed the 'picket line'

IMO there has been simplistic analysis on both sides, not least Reillers book-ending every post telling us we just don't get it..

AZOffaly

orangeman, I know you have been consistent on all of these types of threads, and I'd agree with most of them, but I think you need to apply the maxim that 'less is more'. There's only so many times you can post the same stuff before people get bored of it.

Like the last few weeks, I've been swamped at work, and haven't even opened a newspaper in earnest.

From what I can gather, the current situation is that the clubs in Cork have supported Ger McCarthy's reappointment, but the players are still adamant that due process was not observed, and that their positions on the selection committee were essentially worthless because it was a fait accompli by the time it reached them, and they were outvoted 5-2.

I would have a certain amount of sympathy for any group of players that feel they are being mistrained, I suppose we've all had that experience. One friend of mine, back in the days when we were playing ball, said of the Offaly manager at the time that 'he might as well be looking into a field of thistles'.

I can understand the frustration there, but I think the players, and the county board, have managed to blur the core issue, which is the mutual disdain they have for each other by trying to fight battles on several fronts, which undermines their case.

I truly do not believe that if McCarthy has lost the dressing room in such a manner, i.e. that they feel his is inept, that he can get it back.

The question at the core of this then is, should the players, who feel really unhappy that they were not listened to in a meaningful way, have the right to withdraw their own services, individually, if they feel they are wasting their time? My opinion is that of course they are entitled to do that. It is still a hobby, no matter how serious.

Obviously that action would be only taken in extreme circumstances which begs the question, why were the players not listened to, and managed in such a way that allayed their concerns? This is, to my mind, the county board's true failing. There seems to be no mediation internally in Cork, it's always battle lines drawn and handbags at dawn.

I would totally be against the notion of organised 'strikes' however, especially if younger players are being influenced by more experienced players who have been through this mill twice already. I do not agree with that at all.

I also do not agree or believe that the sop that was granted to the players re. the selection process was ever going to work, unless it was approached in good faith. In this case it obviously wasn't.

Ger McCarthy owes nobody in Cork anything. He has given his all as a player, and as a manager. However, the best players in Cork, the ones who are the mainstays of the team, and the up and coming mainstays, seem to feel that he is simply not up to the task any more. Of course there may be a need for a bit of inward reflection as well with regard to that, but at the same time the players are entitled to voice their opinion if they are expected to slog their guts out for the year.

I do not believe that players should be a decisive factor in the appointment of a manager, but I do feel that where there is a potential reappointment, after a couple of years working with the man, that the players views should have been heard, and respected. If the County Board and the clubs had still decided to go ahead with the reappointment, then it should have been explained why to the players.

I'm not a player power man, my record speaks for itself on that, but I do believe in fairness, and I think, from what I have gathered, that this was an exercise and a power play by the Cork Board, who have probably correctly estimated the level of annoyance among the general populace for what sounds, on the face of it, like 'Another Bloody Cork Strike'.

I think the players are far from blameless, but the county board, in my opinion, spoiled for this fight and deliberately disrespected the players to force it through.

PS. I don't think if our Lord himself was training Cork that they'd beat Kilkenny with the team they have, but that is a moot point in my opinion.

Zulu

QuoteOk - coming from a player's perspective I'd expect the kind of response you've just so eloguently delivered - we're right and everybody else is wrong.

OM you clearly don't understand the concept of constructive debate, I hold a position which I believe to be right if you (or anyone else) disagrees with me, I by extension, believe them to be wrong. The difference between me, many other posters on both sides of the debate and you, is that we (try to) justify our position. It is getting tiresome at this stage and if you can't engage in this debate then you might want to consider signing off because we all know where you stand at this stage.

QuoteI think the fact that there is a full panel togging out Sunday is a huge blow to the outgoing 2008 panel as there would've been a huge question mark in many people's minds over whether players would've crossed the 'picket line'

I disagree, we all want our county teams to be successful but some of us will follow them even if they are not, however very few will continue to support a team when they know the players out there aren't the best the county can produce. This is especially true when those same supporters know that the reason the best players aren't out there is because of the CB. Many Cork GAA supporters are pissed off with the players but they also know the CB are up to their necks in this too.